The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 June 2020, 02:35 AM   #181
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
There’s a lot a reaction to this watch on social media, mostly negative. There’s a discernible and growing negative vibe around PP in general. This is may be an inflection point. Do you remember when there was a ever such a strong negative view of PP in general?
I hope all these online "negative reactions" will give me a higher chance to get an allocation of this watch.

I don't care what people think. I just want my watch.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:40 AM   #182
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I hope all these online "negative reactions" will give me a higher chance to get an allocation of this watch.

I want it too =(

It looks insane in photos - that means....its going to be out of this world in person...
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:58 AM   #183
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I want it too =(

It looks insane in photos - that means....its going to be out of this world in person...
I wish to be positive Jin, but as days go by, more and more VIP are putting in their names in the hat.

Hope you have luck at your side.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 03:43 AM   #184
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
The more I look at it the more I dislike it......

Nothing really new about Patek 6007....

It just a modified Patek 5091.....

6007 will flop over time.....

I hope Patek won't turn into another AP with all kind of limit edition watch....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patek 6007 & 5091.jpg (198.8 KB, 299 views)

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 03:54 AM   #185
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
I hope Patek won't turn into another AP with all kind of limit edition watch....
As many of us know, PP is already there starting years ago. i recall getting the 5110rg when new ($12,500 my price out the door). Also got the super rare matching dealer wall clock a few years later. Now there are a plethora of 'limited edition' WorldTime watches. Same with the Aqua too of course. Guess the kid in milking the brand for all he can while doing very little to support their customers (short warranty, very long service times).

Many of us longtimers see the writing on the wall.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 04:06 AM   #186
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGB View Post
I foolishly tried to show interest to :
- an AD , they said they won’t get any, no need to be on their waiting list, they won’t have any.
- a Salon, they replied this watch is only for their known customers, don’t waste your time (and ours) thank you bye bye.

Yet another Patek I won’t have...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
how good would you describe your relationship with your AD?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 04:14 AM   #187
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post

No offence meant but if I had a dollar for every time i read that:

- Rolex is going to be out of fashion in a couple of years
- Rolex model xxx is mass produced and is not worth the price
- AD xxxx (e.g. WOS) has called in the administrators
- Watch prices are going to tank because of ......
- Patek is going to be sold this year
- Patek has lost it edge and is going down the drain

I actually could afford myself a Grand Complication
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 04:22 AM   #188
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
Looking forward to seeing a shot of the 6007A taken from inside a Ferrari 488...

From a brand excitement point of view, this one is just as boring as they come.
lol HK rich boys have the upper hand on all of us... this thread makes me laugh so hard... but I agree with most of the comments here and don't like the watch boring!
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 04:30 AM   #189
raclaims
"TRF" Member

FWIW, I still hate the anniversary edition Nautilus lol
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 05:34 AM   #190
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
As many of us know, PP is already there starting years ago. i recall getting the 5110rg when new ($12,500 my price out the door). Also got the super rare matching dealer wall clock a few years later. Now there are a plethora of 'limited edition' WorldTime watches. Same with the Aqua too of course. Guess the kid in milking the brand for all he can while doing very little to support their customers (short warranty, very long service times).

Steven I love ya man - however you gotta be the biggest pessimist ever lol. If your predictions come true the US economy/stock market is doomed and Patek is doomed. You gotta give me some silver lining man!
Old 23 June 2020, 06:12 AM   #191
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
There are a lot of Instagram warriors that judge watches on their photographs. A steel calatrava is always an event to celebrate for Patek for those that are initiated.

I think with too much AP/Nautilus/RM/Rolex and now Journe fever, everyone wants a steel sports watch that can do everything and look insane. Subtle classic elegance is gone to band-wagoning and "investment grade" watches that are also beautiful (nothing wrong with that); however the expectations and "inflection" point seem to be sometimes unrealistic. This isn't a piece to show off but to commemorate an important Patek milestone. If you are a Patek enthusiast (and not just a hot model hype train person), you will appreciate this for what it is.

I am starting to like this one more and more and appreciating the nuances more every day. Just like I just adore the triple step lugs on the 5320G and the 5172G.

Once you have the confidence to buy what you like without regard to others, you will transcend the hype and own things that are genuinely meaningful to you and the brand. This is hard in Asia since it is all about status (I am from Singapore so I can speak firsthand).

You look at this and then a Paul Newman Daytona - can you truly say the Newman is more beautiful?

Finally as a Finance guy I will quote Buffett - "in the short term the market is a voting machine, in the long run it is a weighing machine." Collecting things that are objectively rare and subjectively beautiful is part of the fun and best position you for getting things that are truly collectible in the long term.

This.

I also love (and own) the 5320g and would love to own a 5172g (maybe next piece). I also really like this edition. A limited steel Calatrava is cool, no matter what, and this one is super sharp. It’ll be a dream to wear. It’s the perfect case size for me and I dig the modern touches over the more classic PM Calatravas. As far as the movement — the 324 SC is a GREAT movement. I have the 330 in my 5711 and guess how often I care that the second hand hacks. Never.

PS. My AD thinks I’m getting one. Fingers crossed.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 07:21 AM   #192
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
There’s a lot a reaction to this watch on social media, mostly negative. There’s a discernible and growing negative vibe around PP in general. This is may be an inflection point. Do you remember when there was a ever such a strong negative view of PP in general?
Lot is negative reaction from people who make less in a year than what the watch costs. Who cares what they think. They aren’t the target audience.

Ignore the naysayers unless they are actual buyers.
Pateks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 08:26 AM   #193
Pateks
Banned

Just spoke to a buddy of mine who buys from the Geneva salon. His rep told him watch is sold out, unobtanium and that the Geneva salon is getting 100 or so pieces. All gone. That seems really high. If the salons get 100 each, leaves very few for the rest of the ADs. Not sure how accurate that is.
Old 23 June 2020, 09:25 AM   #194
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
I don't see this negative vibe around PP that you talk about anywhere unless we are talking purely watch aesthetics and then that has happened whenever they do something unexpected or that a select group don't like! Pilot travel, anniversary Nautilus and regulator all come to mind in recent times, go back a bit and we can include the 5070. It is the depth of product ranges and the fact that they can appeal and equally be unappealing to lots that is the strength of the brand.

Cheers Russell. I love the regulator, especially the G. The regulator to me is PP doing something very different, and a beautiful product is the result of it.

I have no horse in this race, and I’d like to think that affords a bit more objectivity not needing to take a side.

On my prior post - I think disappointment maybe a better term than negativity, reflecting vibe. Cutting out the noise, there is marked disappointment - because of the lazy design and lazy effort almost like the intern class of 2020 put this release out, and that reflects on the brand inevitably. All the pieces will be sold and this will be on premium with the greys soon, no doubt. Polarizing is one thing - but disappointing is dangerous.
Old 23 June 2020, 09:44 AM   #195
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are a lot of Instagram warriors that judge watches on their photographs. A steel calatrava is always an event to celebrate for Patek for those that are initiated.

I think with too much AP/Nautilus/RM/Rolex and now Journe fever, everyone wants a steel sports watch that can do everything and look insane. Subtle classic elegance is gone to band-wagoning and "investment grade" watches that are also beautiful (nothing wrong with that); however the expectations and "inflection" point seem to be sometimes unrealistic. This isn't a piece to show off but to commemorate an important Patek milestone. If you are a Patek enthusiast (and not just a hot model hype train person), you will appreciate this for what it is.

I am starting to like this one more and more and appreciating the nuances more every day. Just like I just adore the triple step lugs on the 5320G and the 5172G.

Once you have the confidence to buy what you like without regard to others, you will transcend the hype and own things that are genuinely meaningful to you and the brand. This is hard in Asia since it is all about status (I am from Singapore so I can speak firsthand).

You look at this and then a Paul Newman Daytona - can you truly say the Newman is more beautiful?

Finally as a Finance guy I will quote Buffett - "in the short term the market is a voting machine, in the long run it is a weighing machine." Collecting things that are objectively rare and subjectively beautiful is part of the fun and best position you for getting things that are truly collectible in the long term.

Thank you for your views. Always admired your collection and views on watches. I’m not a buyer here as I said on a prior response, so no stakes either side. I don’t understand the comment on status/Asia and having the confidence to buy, or PN comparison etc - not relevant to what I posted man. Cheers
Old 23 June 2020, 09:44 AM   #196
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You gotta give me some silver lining man!
All this deep human strife and suffering will produce some EPIC music...

...except for EDM, hip-hop, and trap. Some things are beyond repair

Does any of it really matter? We're all dead anyway... eventually... ticking away second by second at 4Hz... or a more grueling 3Hz... ;-)
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 09:45 AM   #197
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post

good luck and hope you get the call.
Old 23 June 2020, 10:11 AM   #198
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Cheers Russell. I love the regulator, especially the G. The regulator to me is PP doing something very different, and a beautiful product is the result of it.

I have no horse in this race, and I’d like to think that affords a bit more objectivity not needing to take a side.

On my prior post - I think disappointment maybe a better term than negativity, reflecting vibe. Cutting out the noise, there is marked disappointment - because of the lazy design and lazy effort almost like the intern class of 2020 put this release out, and that reflects on the brand inevitably. All the pieces will be sold and this will be on premium with the greys soon, no doubt. Polarizing is one thing - but disappointing is dangerous.
Not lazy design or lazy effort, easy for you to say that’s the case but what is the basis for your opinion? You may not like it but saying Patek should have tried harder or the watch looks like the intern class of 2020 designed it is ridiculous. I’m not interested in the watch but I’m sure the design department at Patek worked as hard on this one as they did on any other. And really whether you’re disappointed or not doesn’t matter, nobody at Patek cares what you think or what all the internet complainers think, the watch will easily sell out and quickly. Your opinion just isn’t important! But you have a right to have one.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 10:36 AM   #199
Halothane
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
I like it ! But sadly looks to be unobtainable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Halothane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 12:08 PM   #200
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

The Calatravox is unimaginative. Nothing new from PP since the Regulator and the 5212a IMO. Everything else based on previous references.
Old 23 June 2020, 12:09 PM   #201
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Haters gonna hate.

Remember what people said about the Nautilus years ago? And the Aquanaut years ago? :)

Mr. Stern couldn't move Aquanauts even if his life depended on it back in the early days.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 12:29 PM   #202
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Not lazy design or lazy effort, easy for you to say that’s the case but what is the basis for your opinion? You may not like it but saying Patek should have tried harder or the watch looks like the intern class of 2020 designed it is ridiculous. I’m not interested in the watch but I’m sure the design department at Patek worked as hard on this one as they did on any other. And really whether you’re disappointed or not doesn’t matter, nobody at Patek cares what you think or what all the internet complainers think, the watch will easily sell out and quickly. Your opinion just isn’t important! But you have a right to have one.
Spot on.
Old 23 June 2020, 12:30 PM   #203
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
Spot on.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 12:31 PM   #204
Pateks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
The Calatravox is unimaginative. Nothing new from PP since the Regulator and the 5212a IMO. Everything else based on previous references.
You mean nothing new from Patek since the last set of watches they released in 2019 since the 2020 launch has been cancelled? Lol.

Gotta love the internet. You are right- other than the Singapore releases they haven’t introduced anything new for men.
Old 23 June 2020, 12:36 PM   #205
wisguy
"TRF" Member

The more I look at it, the more I like it.
Old 23 June 2020, 01:31 PM   #206
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

New patek philippe ref.6007A-001

Quote:

Sensitive much? Did you design the watch? Why is your ego on the line here?
PP doesn’t need a fanboi flaming a post on their behalf. They couldn’t care less about your opinion and you’re not going to get an allocation no matter how much you try defend their product. I’m entitled to my opinion and I haven’t attacked anyone, certainly not you and yet you act like it’s your watch I’m spitting on. Jeez.
Grow up and stay classy.
Old 23 June 2020, 02:01 PM   #207
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PP doesn’t need a fanboi flaming a post on their behalf. They couldn’t care less about your opinion and you’re not going to get an allocation no matter how much you try defend their product. I’m entitled to my opinion and I haven’t attacked anyone, certainly not you and yet you act like it’s your watch I’m spitting on. Jeez.
Grow up and stay classy.
Did you actually read what I wrote? Your response seems like you completely missed the point of what I said. I said I wasn’t interested in the watch. Not trying to “get an allocation”. I don’t work for Patek and I’m not a watch designer so no, I didn’t design the watch. Regarding my ego being on the line I have no idea what you’re referring to but it seems to me your ego, your infantile ego to be precise, is what’s on the line. You resort to name calling and misrepresentation of what I posted and then tell me to grow up and stay classy. Maybe you should heed your own advice. That’s my suggestion for you.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:03 PM   #208
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

<Insert popcorn GIF>

Quote:
Grow up and stay classy.
Quote:
Did you actually read what I wrote? Your response seems like you completely missed the point of what I said. I said I wasn’t interested in the watch. Not trying to “get an allocation”. I don’t work for for Patek and I’m not a watch designer so no, I didn’t design the watch. Regarding my ego being on the line I have no idea what you’re referring to but it seems to me your ego, your infantile ego to be precise, is what’s on the line. You resort to name calling and misrepresentation of what I posted and then tell me to grow up and stay classy. Maybe you should heed your own advice. That’s my suggestion for you.
Old 23 June 2020, 02:12 PM   #209
Hermann
"TRF" Member

The watch is a unique piece, if you are a collector you would do everything to get one, if you are no collector you will not get one or not so easy, so what cares?
The case is in steel, it is also cheap, when you compare with other pieces from PP, that unicorn is from PP so you cannot compare with any other brand.... for a collector it’s like the cherry on the cake.
Patek is Patek

For example in 2 weeks AP will increase the price for 6% than a usual 15500 will only cost 20% less than the limited 6007

The watch is not usual but no limited model was usual, look at the Aqua terminator, Nauti brick stone..., also the 6007 is not a usual piece.
It has much more details than any other Cala before und it will be also the last one from the 6000 series.
Hermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:40 PM   #210
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pateks View Post
You mean nothing new from Patek since the last set of watches they released in 2019 since the 2020 launch has been cancelled? Lol.

Gotta love the internet. You are right- other than the Singapore releases they haven’t introduced anything new for men.
I should have written nothing truly imaginative since Genta designed the Nautilus for them over 40 years ago. They've been living on derivatives of their dress watches and more recently derivatives of their outsourced Nautilus design. Where is the design genius inside PP? Pretty much the same can be said for Rolex except the Skydweller was pretty creative functionally.