The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 September 2020, 02:33 PM   #31
ToyotaMoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM40,DJ41,OP41,Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
OP, I like your approach and in my opinion, you have done a good job narrowing down as the 36mm DJ is a solid 1-watch choice for what you've outlined. That being said, between the two configurations you've narrowed down to, I'd say option 2 is the better option. BUT, dare I recommend an option you didn't mention? You probably already factored this out since you didn't list it but how about the fluted bezel with oyster bracelet? I happen to have that exact configuration and did so intentionally due to similar reasons as yourself (versatility between jeans/tee and a suit/tux...I've worn my DJ in both cases). The oyster has PCLs so still has that dress(ier) feel but not as much as the jubilee which does have more bling/flash due to more pieces/curves for light to reflect off of.

Also, smooth bezels on DJs never looked right to me...like eyebrows being shaved off on someone. It's a minor thing but affects the overall look so much. And I'm a bit of a purist and like the iconic fluted bezel on the DJ.

In case you haven't come across this already, this video is what drew me to the configuration while I was shopping around: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-datejust-review

OH, another thing...you could always buy a jubilee bracelet separately...it's not cheap but you always have that as an option to swap out once in awhile.

Hope that helps some.
I agree 100% with everything said here. I recently purchased a DJ41 Wimbledon on an oyster with the fluted bezel. I didn’t like how the jubilee looked whatsoever. It reminded me of watches from the 80s for some reason.
ToyotaMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 03:22 PM   #32
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Fluted + Oyster

An other vote for the fluted/oyster combo.
More sporty and modern than the jubilee bracelet and a nice balance with the classic fluted bezel.
A very versatile and modern look in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 31E14328-E8DF-489A-8E71-A91933DB7A1D.jpeg (165.5 KB, 371 views)
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2020, 11:12 PM   #33
The Continental
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Fluted tt jubile champagne dial.

My first watch I wore it for around twelve years before I bought another watch, I wore it everywhere it never came off. Went for a service last year and to be honest it really still looked perfect you don’t see any scratches on the jubilee really.

That’s my opinion and mines a 5 digit I can only imagine how much better the 6 digit 36 is.
Hardly timeless.....simply a time, from late 1970’s-1980’s, when that configuration was the rage.
The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:05 AM   #34
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
Datejust has to be fluted and jubilee in my opinion.
Regarding being too flash, I wear a yellow gold day date on a president bracelet which according to many is way too flashy and yet nobody ever notices it! Unless you're a watch person people don't look and don't care what watch you're wearing, just buy whatever you like, that's all that matters
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:24 AM   #35
holdingon
"TRF" Member

With the new updated OP 36 I think you almost have to go DJ 36 with fluted bezel+jubilee. I would get the Blue DJ 36 fluted bezel + Jubilee (its a bit more sporty) or OP 36 blue /silver as a work watch. DJ 36 non-fluted + oyster is over $1500 more vs. OP 36 so not compelling to me.

Don't get a TT DJ 36 that's something of a by gone era (80s wall st) and a key reason why DJs are sitting in their ADs.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:30 AM   #36
Bruno Datejust
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I've had twice the 116234 silver, Jubilè, stick dial. A beautiful object under bright light on the desk, but seen on othe people or under duller light unfortunately it dies quite away. So I've sold them. I would advise much more a modern Datejust with fluted bezel, black stick dial, on Oyster or maybe better on Jubilé.
Old 27 September 2020, 01:34 AM   #37
thefollandgnat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2020 View Post
2. 126200 (smooth/domed) with oyster - (I like the jubilee bracelet as well with a smooth bezel, but something about it seems to look off and it doesn't seem to be a classic configuration - but correct me if I'm wrong!)
I will, you are. I have a blue 116200, jubilee/domed, romans. It's gorgeous, and I prefer it to my 16570 and 114270. What looks off to you is its deviation from a prescribed norm. Forget about that, life's too short for norms. Just ask Bites Yer Legs Hunter. By the same token, you could argue that this is why it's great. Eagle/sheep, etc etc. I get the sense that you like it, as you yourself admit, but you won't let yourself like it. A week or two on the wrist and you might well feel differently. Go with your initial instinct.
thefollandgnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:03 AM   #38
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

Go fluted on jubilee or oyster. My gripe with the 126200 is that the bezel is “domed”. The old models were convex with flat sides which to my eyes looked better.

Nowadays you have to go upto a DJ41 to get that style in stainless steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:09 AM   #39
chocopeluche
"TRF" Member

For me the Aubergine Dial is the sleeper hit among the bunch:

No lume tho :(

SF, CA
chocopeluche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:10 AM   #40
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Blue datejust fluted jubilee or else you don’t want to wait for one.
Old 27 September 2020, 07:11 AM   #41
Sprezzatura!,
Banned

What is a more timeless and versatile configuration of the modern DJ36?

I have always loved the iconic silver baton dial on domed bezel with oyster bracelet.

Bought this brand new from an AD at the end of July. I had to call over 30 stores UK-wide to find the older 116 series in this specific configuration as I prefer the broader lugs on the 36mm.
Sprezzatura!, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:01 AM   #42
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Fluted jubilee for me

It’s more classic but not necessarily more wearable in all situations. An oyster with smooth bezel is definitely more versatile

bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:22 AM   #43
campfire
"TRF" Member

All nice combinations. Not sure what the most classic is. But I have a DJ36, dome, oyster, sticks, black bezel. Simple, no fuss, easy to wear watch.

Good luck.
campfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 02:55 PM   #44
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

OP - the way you're looking at this is the same way I do. Will the watch still look good on my wrist and will it stand the test of time over the next 30-40 years.

I also have a similar dilemma but I'm more inclined (for me) to go for the DJ41. That in itself is a bit of a risk but I don't honestly think the move to slightly larger watches is going to go.

In terms of configuration I would have to say jubilee / fluted. Those two epitomise the Datejust line for me.

Colour is the bigger question. The blue is lovely, but it's a very "in" colour at the moment and that would concern me. It's also harder to match with everything. For the 36mm I'd probably have to say black. It's a real shame they don't offer rhodium though.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 03:04 PM   #45
BLT2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
OP - the way you're looking at this is the same way I do. Will the watch still look good on my wrist and will it stand the test of time over the next 30-40 years.

I also have a similar dilemma but I'm more inclined (for me) to go for the DJ41. That in itself is a bit of a risk but I don't honestly think the move to slightly larger watches is going to go.

In terms of configuration I would have to say jubilee / fluted. Those two epitomise the Datejust line for me.

Colour is the bigger question. The blue is lovely, but it's a very "in" colour at the moment and that would concern me. It's also harder to match with everything. For the 36mm I'd probably have to say black. It's a real shame they don't offer rhodium though.
I'm beginning to think the new iteration of the 36 looks way better with a fluted bezel, and I think the dial is more suited towards an oyster bracelet since it is such a sporty dial in my opinion with the lumed markers.

I'm beginning to consider a 41 - will need to try some on - as they look good on either bracelet with smooth bezel.

I think at this point if I get the 36 I'm going to get oyster and fluted with silver dial. It just looks the best to me as the domed bezel is a little weird compared to more vintage flat smooth bezels.
BLT2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 03:12 PM   #46
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2020 View Post
I'm beginning to think the new iteration of the 36 looks way better with a fluted bezel, and I think the dial is more suited towards an oyster bracelet since it is such a sporty dial in my opinion with the lumed markers.

I'm beginning to consider a 41 - will need to try some on - as they look good on either bracelet with smooth bezel.

I think at this point if I get the 36 I'm going to get oyster and fluted with silver dial. It just looks the best to me as the domed bezel is a little weird compared to more vintage flat smooth bezels.
Makes sense. FWIW I do find that (visually) the jubilee makes the DJ36 appear to look a bit smaller whereas the oyster seems to make it look a little bigger. I think that's a good thing on the largr DJ41 (the oyster not only makes it look bigger, but it also wears much bigger with the solid end link overhang).

The great thing is with the DJ is that whatever size or configuration, there are no wrong answers.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 04:49 PM   #47
noshame
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhak22 View Post
OP, I like your approach and in my opinion, you have done a good job narrowing down as the 36mm DJ is a solid 1-watch choice for what you've outlined. That being said, between the two configurations you've narrowed down to, I'd say option 2 is the better option. BUT, dare I recommend an option you didn't mention? You probably already factored this out since you didn't list it but how about the fluted bezel with oyster bracelet? I happen to have that exact configuration and did so intentionally due to similar reasons as yourself (versatility between jeans/tee and a suit/tux...I've worn my DJ in both cases). The oyster has PCLs so still has that dress(ier) feel but not as much as the jubilee which does have more bling/flash due to more pieces/curves for light to reflect off of.

Also, smooth bezels on DJs never looked right to me...like eyebrows being shaved off on someone. It's a minor thing but affects the overall look so much. And I'm a bit of a purist and like the iconic fluted bezel on the DJ.

In case you haven't come across this already, this video is what drew me to the configuration while I was shopping around: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-datejust-review

OH, another thing...you could always buy a jubilee bracelet separately...it's not cheap but you always have that as an option to swap out once in awhile.

Hope that helps some.
I couldn't have said it better myself ... this 100%.
Old 27 September 2020, 04:57 PM   #48
Nubzib
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Not a 126, but I have a 116234 - White Dial. Baton. Fluted. Jubilee.

Classic and classy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116234 600x600.jpg (163.7 KB, 294 views)
Nubzib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:57 PM   #49
Steed
"TRF" Member

What is a more timeless and versatile configuration of the modern DJ36?

This is mine from 2009. Can be worn anytime, anywhere and with anything in my opinion.

Steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:39 PM   #50
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post

Blue had been around for decades and this blue is very easy to match with anything, including black because if often looks black.
Old 6 April 2021, 10:39 AM   #51
kg19989
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD 16600 Z Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I'd vote for a DJ36 Jubilee Fluted Silver Dial

The thing with flashy is, it really isn't. Nobody notices what watch you're wearing as long as it's not yellow gold. Don't overthink it too much.
I have this on Oyster and I am looking to trade for Jubilee. I want the sparkle!
kg19989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 01:12 PM   #52
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
I think the last iteration of the OP DJ36 Turn-O-Graph, ref. 116264, strikes a perfect balance between sporty and dressy. The white gold bezel is subtle but distinctive. On this reference, I prefer the white dial and the red datewheel, seconds hand, and TURN-O-GRAPH on the dial which add a touch of color. I think it's a shame Rolex discontinued it.

EDIT - Oops! I just realized this is a zombie thread from six months ago. My apologies.

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 01:19 PM   #53
Bbiddy
"TRF" Member

Based on your style and the fact that this will be a one watch collection I’d go OP36. More understated and versatile (in the more classic dial colors).
Bbiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 01:23 PM   #54
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
For me, it's all about the fluting.

Look at the fluted DJs from the 1980s. Even by modern standards they still look great. Do you remember all of the crap in the 80s? Mullets, spandex, fake wood panels, car phones, and neon lights in the living room...there aren't many things from the 80s that still look modern.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 01:54 PM   #55
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I just got a circa 2003 DJ 16200 silver dial with smooth/domed bezel on an Oyster bracelet...that wad before PCL and polished lugs. I know you want the stick dial but I got the Romans. I like the smooth bezel + oyster combination for an everyday watch. The Romans and silver dial make it bright and classy.

I have a ladies’ gold DJ/President with the fluted bezel. To me, fluted is a little to formal for an everyday watch, but I know a lot of guys with a stainless/fluted/Jubilee combination, and those DJ look great.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 02:14 PM   #56
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
I'd vote for a DJ36 Jubilee Fluted Silver Dial

The thing with flashy is, it really isn't. Nobody notices what watch you're wearing as long as it's not yellow gold. Don't overthink it too much.
This, its the perfect one watch if you are not a shorts and t shirt kind of guy, but even then its a contender.

Hides scratches well, can be dressed up or down, classic size. The black dial is probably better for readability, but that silver looks amazing
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 02:46 PM   #57
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Versatile? Oyster bracelet and stick dial must be part of the combo.

Smooth bezel for a more casual look and fluted for a bit more dressier.
If your lifestyle is active and you don't wear a suit much....go for smooth bezel.

This was my choice. Flip flops, shorts, jeans, suit....no problem!
Old 6 April 2021, 02:49 PM   #58
Frank McKay
"TRF" Member

Love all DJ’s but this is my favorite modern configuration taken from Instagram.

Frank McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 03:59 PM   #59
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I happen to be very fond of this particular configuration.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2021, 04:13 PM   #60
Sothy
"TRF" Member

I really like the fluted jubilee look (both hide scratches well it seems), but if going oyster/smooth, have you considered the new 36mm Oyster Perpetual with the silver dial and yellow gold markers? Seems to me that it would also dress up/down well, and hopefully availability improves with time.
Sothy is offline   Reply With Quote