The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 September 2020, 10:34 AM   #1
haganaga
"TRF" Member

If selling, would you get it touched up first?

Hey folks,

I’m considering selling my 116200. It’s only 2 years old but it has your standard desk diving marks on the clasp and PCLs and a small scuff at noon on the bezel you can only see in certain angles/lights.

If you were selling a newer model would you take it to RSC for a quick touch up or just sell as-is? If I do sell, I’m leaning toward just selling as-is but curious about what others have done/would do in a similar situation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
haganaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Thanos
"TRF" Member

Never. Ever. Polishing devalues the watch IF selling. Let the individual purchasing the watch make that call.

This is a sensitive topic but in the end an unpolished watch w original lines is what sells for more $
Thanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:40 AM   #3
Acidstain
"TRF" Member

Sell as is.

Acidstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:44 AM   #4
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
If a watch can be lightly touched up maintaining it's shape then a nice looking watch will sell much better than one that looks beat.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 10:52 AM   #5
fabs82
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LN
would check with the trusted sellers but would think that a service without polishing would increase value of watch on resale
pete
fabs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:15 AM   #6
darius359
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
At only years old, it doesn't likely require any servicing. If you want to confirm this, bring it to an AD or Rolex boutique and request a quick diagnostic on their Witschi.

The general attitude in these parts is to avoid polishing but it really depends on how/where you plan on selling it. Some people actually prefer a shiny, new looking timepiece. That definitely doesn't apply for the folks in here.
darius359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:40 AM   #7
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

While I prefer a polished watch, I’d let the buyer decide that and price accordingly. A polish can’t be undone.

And I realize I’m in the minority here. But I can’t understand why people don’t like polish. Yes, it’s a tool. Wear it. Enjoy it. Blah blah blah. I drive my car daily, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like it polished. To me...dents and dings are unacceptable - cars and watches.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:42 AM   #8
Chopped54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 116610lv,
In the past I have just cleaned it as best as I could maybe polish the center links with a Cape Cod and clean up the brushed with a 3m scouring pad or fiberglass pen.
Old 27 September 2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
In the past I have just cleaned it as best as I could maybe polish the center links with a Cape Cod and clean up the brushed with a 3m scouring pad or fiberglass pen.
That should give you top dollar on resale.

I don’t think I would do it but I haven’t sold a watch.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:48 AM   #10
sunnygps
2024 Pledge Member

Depending on how bad the scratches are, it does not hurt to “touch up” the watch. I believe all the pre-owned watches sold by the trusted sellers are touched up prior to selling.

If the watch is under warranty, don’t have anyone but RSC polish it. I don’t think RSC will polish a watch without full service. That is what I was told once by the Dallas RSC.
sunnygps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:48 AM   #11
winst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Agreed.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 11:56 AM   #12
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
No way. I've only sold a few, but whether it's been polished is always a question that is asked.
donas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:03 PM   #13
Thor95
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC date
I was under the impression that it was “vintage” watches you don’t want to polish? Modern Rolex are so abundant and robust and dare I say babied compared to older models I feel the more like new the better for resale in most cases.
Thor95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 12:23 PM   #14
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygps View Post
I believe all the pre-owned watches sold by the trusted sellers are touched up prior to selling.
This. If you don’t believe it you’re daydreaming.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:53 PM   #15
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Depends on who you're selling to. A wis would rather buy it unpolished. If you're selling to a store, still there's no need to do the touch up yourself and DON'T accept any arguments on the price for having signs of normal wear.
ALL stores touch up their preowned stock before putting up for sale. Some not too carefully either.
Bottom line, I'd sell as is.
minute_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:55 PM   #16
Ihatecheese
Banned

Best to leave for the shop to fix it if required. I wouldn't personally sell privately. I'm too dubious of someone obsessively complaining about a buff or scratch . I take the hit on the shops to walk away and get some time back!
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:58 PM   #17
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
I would always polish it - and believe the majority would like a shiny new watch.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:58 PM   #18
DutchRudder
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Never. Ever. Polishing devalues the watch IF selling. Let the individual purchasing the watch make that call.

This is a sensitive topic but in the end an unpolished watch w original lines is what sells for more $
Nonsense.

This is hardly a vintage professional model. A decent refurbishment will increase the value.
DutchRudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:23 PM   #19
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Depends who is doing the touch up and will you get your money back when selling.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 07:26 PM   #20
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Depends who is doing the touch up and will you get your money back when selling.
I agree, amateurs with scotchbrite pads and fibreglass pens should be kept well away..............

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 08:50 PM   #21
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Perhaps 99% of the second hand watches on the market has been touched up.
Only on TRF people like scratches, in the real world buyers prefer a like new condition.
If you want to sell it make it look nice
Old 27 September 2020, 09:08 PM   #22
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
All the pre-owned watches that sell by TS look pristine, mint condition, I am pretty sure that they do some touch up or lightly polish by professional.
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:13 PM   #23
Goin2drt
Banned

I sold a non ceramic Daytona. I did not touch it up and I wish I would have. I sold it “as-is” and all the buyer did was complain about the condition, tried to get me to give him some money back etc etc. I think I would have gotten way more for mine had I sent it away to an RSC and sold it.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:14 PM   #24
judson
"TRF" Member

Watch: changes depending
I must be one of the crazy ones. I purposely look for scratches so I have a better understanding if the watch has been molested.
judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:37 PM   #25
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Based on the condition you described if you were selling privately i would do as advised on these message boards and do the minor touch up yourself. Assume the watch is still under warrantee with Rolex if it’s recent

My 6 digit exp-1 has fallen out of warrantee for 1 year (was 6yrs old) and was losing some time, also bezel had a ding in it plus usual daily wear scratches. I knew I would get bottom dollar selling it ‘as is’ so I gave it to Rolex and they replaced the bezel, polished the watch as part of the full service. Now the watch had a full set, plus brand new 2 year warrantee and was as mint as a used watch could be for the new owner. The customer pool as a private seller had been massively increased and I could justify top dollar (for a private seller). The price I could have gotten for it without a service in its existing condition vs getting the service only yielded a few hundred extra £ but also sold quicker and meant less hassle from the new customer, no ambiguity and means an easy life for me. As the daytona guy says it’s just a hassle dealing with customers especially as a private seller.

My 5 digit EXP2 was in poorer condition (was in bad condition) and had already been polished. Never the less same principal applied, I spent £1000 at RSC-2 for new bezel, new crystal, new rotor, etc. But the result was an absolutely incredible piece in comparison and again new 2 year warrantee for the customer so they can go to ROLEX with any issues, not come back to ME if there are any issues. Easy life
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #26
Anthony808
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
This. If you don’t believe it you’re daydreaming.
Agreed, I've purchased many watches from the "trusted" sellers here and unless they were brand new, they were all polished - albeit very well.

As a collector, most prefer unpolished. If it's just a run-of-the mill timepiece, go ahead and have it professionally polished.
Anthony808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 02:48 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Of course I would have a watch I was selling touched up and looking it's best.

I don't care about the "purists" who want original dirt in the links and dried grease on the gears. I want it to appeal to the broadest segment of the buying population, but I wouldn't do anything to destroy it's market value.
Old 28 September 2020, 03:14 AM   #28
pavinc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116509
I just had this discussion with my AD. He said if the watch is sent into Rolex for service the option is to leave as is or it can be polished. He answered my question before I ask," the watch comes back like the day your bought it."
But he recommended to have it done (if I want to) when the watch is sent in for service. Don't just send it in to polish. It seems the idea of having a watch polished is frown upon but a question for seasoned collectors, if polished, will the watch looks like-new or will it still look refinished?
pavinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:05 AM   #29
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post

Don’t buy anything ever from a Grey dealer than, because it’s all polished. There is no real value difference in modern Rolex between lightly polished and unpolished. Unless it’s unworn, if it looks perfect it’s been polished.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:09 AM   #30
zjd168
"TRF" Member

you probably can't sell at a price high enough to get the service money back, but you will be able to sell it faster
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote