The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 September 2020, 06:06 PM   #1
draganb
"TRF" Member

OP41 vs OP39

Hi guys,
Are there any direct comparisons (sizewise) of the new OP41 and the discontinued OP39? I was looking around, but can't seem to find any.

The 39 was on the upper limit for me, and the 36 on the lower. Between the two, i preffered the 39.

Now, with the thinner lugs on the 36, it seems the 36 wears even smaller, and if the 41 is really 41mm, that would be way to big for me.

I tried the DJ41, and it was huge, but that may have been the effect of the flutted bezel.

For reference, my wrist size is 6.9 inches.
What do you guys think?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk
draganb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:20 PM   #2
tanask211
"TRF" Member

There are always other choices available besides the 2 variations. As the OP39 has ceased it's production then look at other similar case size e.g Explorer 1, Milgauss or AK at 40mm. Anyway my sub 7 inches wrist does fit GMT LN and BB therefore don't see much issue unless you preferred smaller case.

Sent from my HMA-L29 using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 06:54 PM   #3
winst
"TRF" Member

Have a look at the Explorer 39mm, I’m loving mine and have 6.75 inch wrist.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2020, 09:25 PM   #4
REFZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Rolex Way
The actual case size of the DJ41 is around 39,5mm and if that is too big for you I assume the OP41 will be too big aswell.
Old 27 September 2020, 09:40 PM   #5
draganb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFZ View Post
The actual case size of the DJ41 is around 39,5mm and if that is too big for you I assume the OP41 will be too big aswell.
Yeah, I saw that thread where they measure the DJ41, that' why I'm interested in the direct comparison of OP41 and OP39.
If they went with the same DJ41 case, then there shouldn't be much of a difference compared to OP39.
As i said, the OP39 is on the upper limit for me, but still comfortable.
The DJ41 i think looks bigger because od the fluted bezel.
I haven't seen the smooth bezel DJ41, that would probably be more comparable to the new OP

Old 27 September 2020, 09:49 PM   #6
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
A 6.9" wrist is not a small wrist. I would say even slightly above average. You should easily be able to wear a 39.2 mm DJ41. Unless your wrist is very round I would think a 41 mm OP would work as well. I'm surprised you found the DJ to be too large but size is really just based on what YOU think looks good on you. In the end it's subjective.

If you like the look of the OP 41 I would suggest trying a smooth bezel baton DJ41 on oyster. That would get you close to the look of the OP with a smaller diameter and hey they even throw in a date window! Good luck.

Do you have any wrist shot photos you could post?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 04:19 PM   #7
draganb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
A 6.9" wrist is not a small wrist. I would say even slightly above average. You should easily be able to wear a 39.2 mm DJ41. Unless your wrist is very round I would think a 41 mm OP would work as well. I'm surprised you found the DJ to be too large but size is really just based on what YOU think looks good on you. In the end it's subjective.

If you like the look of the OP 41 I would suggest trying a smooth bezel baton DJ41 on oyster. That would get you close to the look of the OP with a smaller diameter and hey they even throw in a date window! Good luck.

Do you have any wrist shot photos you could post?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
I do, but I'm really terrible at taking those.
So, this is the blue OP39 and the white grape OP36

Old 28 September 2020, 09:15 PM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by draganb View Post

I think both look fine on you. If you can do the OP39, which clearly you can, you should be good to go with a DJ41 since they are nearly identical in size. So I still would suggesting trying out a baton DJ41 smooth bezel on oyster. I really do think it would work well for you and it's a step up from an OP. I personally would prefer a date feature anyway. I had one watch without a date and it drove me crazy every time I'd look down for the date and realize yet again I don't have that.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 09:57 PM   #9
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:

The 36 OP is made for you buddy, color, size and everything. Looks the bomb!
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:06 PM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSubGuy View Post
The 36 OP is made for you buddy, color, size and everything. Looks the bomb!
There can be a big difference between what a watch looks like in a photo as opposed to being seen by the owner on the wrist. I've got a 6.5in wrist and the 36mm always looks small and dated to me but looks great in photos. Photos are one thing but living with it is another.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:17 PM   #11
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
There can be a big difference between what a watch looks like in a photo as opposed to being seen by the owner on the wrist. I've got a 6.5in wrist and the 36mm always looks small and dated to me but looks great in photos. Photos are one thing but living with it is another.
This.

I have a 6.5" wrist as well, and I will never own a 36mm watch. They just look incredibly small on my wrist, and I'm not a big dude.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, but real life is worth a million.
Old 28 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #12
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that thread where they measure the DJ41, that' why I'm interested in the direct comparison of OP41 and OP39.
If they went with the same DJ41 case, then there shouldn't be much of a difference compared to OP39.
As i said, the OP39 is on the upper limit for me, but still comfortable.
The DJ41 i think looks bigger because od the fluted bezel.
I haven't seen the smooth bezel DJ41, that would probably be more comparable to the new OP

I'm in exactly the same boat as you...the 39 OP is my upper limit, and the 36mm is my limit on the small side. The new slimmer lugs 36mm will wear even smaller. I have tried on the 36mm DJ and it's nice, but wears small to me, I then immediately tried on the DJ 41 and it was too large. This one had the smooth bezel, so I'm not sure that makes a difference.

I have tried both the 39mm and the (previous) 36mm Oyster Perpetuals and I can wear both. In fact it was taking me so long to decide, and when I finally did decide for the 39, it was August and I decided to just wait and see if they updated the white dial 39 with the new movement. NOPE! They killed it! Crushed!

So now I am waiting from the AD for an Explorer and on the lookout for a white dial 39 if I can find one at a reasonable cost new.

Oh and my wrist is slightly smaller than yours - 6.5-6.75".
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:44 PM   #13
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
This.

I have a 6.5" wrist as well, and I will never own a 36mm watch. They just look incredibly small on my wrist, and I'm not a big dude.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words, but real life is worth a million.
I have a slightly larger wrist....and 36mm OP looks and feel perfect on my wrist.

Wear one for a while and you shall have a different perception.
Because if you wear a 40mm watch for a long time, anything under that size shall feel too small.

I have not had the chance to try the OP36 but I own the old one. It wears bug due to the large/beefy lugs. Have a look on my IG account for reference.
Old 28 September 2020, 10:49 PM   #14
draganb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I'm in exactly the same boat as you...the 39 OP is my upper limit, and the 36mm is my limit on the small side. The new slimmer lugs 36mm will wear smaller. I have tried on the 36mm DJ and it's nice, but wears small to me, I them immediately tried on the DJ 41 and it was too large. This one had the smooth bezel, so I'm not sure that makes a difference.

I have tried both the 39mm and the (previous) 36mm Oyster Perpetuals and I can wear both. In fact it was taking me so long to decide, and when I finally did decide for the 39, it was August and I decided to just wait and see if they updated the white dial 39 with the new movement. NOPE! They killed it! Crushed!

So now I am waiting from the AD for an Explorer and on the lookout for a white dial 39 if I can find one at a reasonable cost new.

Oh and my wrist is slightly smaller than yours - 6.5-6.75".
Hahaha dude, that's EXACTLY my story. Except I wanted the rhodium dial.
I was also looking forward to the new movement and was ready to visit the dealer and order the 39 that same morning. When I saw the release in the morning, I was devastated...
Also waiting for the explorer and new OP to hit the dealer so I can see it in person
Old 28 September 2020, 10:51 PM   #15
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Just looked through the thread fully and saw your pics... The 36 looks fantastic on the further away shot. Would be nice to see the same perspective with the 39... Do you have one?
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 10:55 PM   #16
draganb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Just looked through the thread fully and saw your pics... The 36 looks fantastic on the further away shot. Would be nice to see the same perspective with the 39... Do you have one?
No, sadly, i was by myself when I tried the 39 and the sales person was working someone else so I didn't want to bother them.
The further away shots are much better than the wrist shots to get a perspective of the watch size. Especially with the way smartphone cameras handle the closeup shots.

Old 28 September 2020, 11:47 PM   #17
javier
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi guys,
Are there any direct comparisons (sizewise) of the new OP41 and the discontinued OP39? I was looking around, but can't seem to find any.

The 39 was on the upper limit for me, and the 36 on the lower. Between the two, i preffered the 39.

Now, with the thinner lugs on the 36, it seems the 36 wears even smaller, and if the 41 is really 41mm, that would be way to big for me.

I tried the DJ41, and it was huge, but that may have been the effect of the flutted bezel.

For reference, my wrist size is 6.9 inches.
What do you guys think?

try to go for another brand that fulfill your wrist size
javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2020, 11:59 PM   #18
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
I have to say - the 36 looks perfect on your wrist!
Old 29 September 2020, 12:24 AM   #19
draganb
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the kind words guys.
It will probably come down to the black or silver OP36 (once I see them in person).
Over the years I have had a tendency of reducing the preferred watch size, so maybe the 36 is an investment in the future :)
Old 29 September 2020, 12:42 AM   #20
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
I think the 36 looks great on your wrist, OP. I have a flat 6.3" wrist and I went with the new OP36 in bright blue. I could pull off the 41 as the lugs fall within the width of my wrist with no overhang.
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote