The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 7 October 2018, 08:30 AM   #1
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2005 DateJust
Interesting Discovery [Adjusting Beat Error]

I ran across a very interesting article, explaining how to determine which way to rotate a collet to adjust beat error. I thought this tidbit might be useful to some here, if you don't already know about it. Cheers. -Norm

This method uses gravity to determine the direction to rotate the collet and, in this case, as the balance left is the higher value, the collet must be rotated clockwise. The balance is removed and the collet rotated using a tool in the cut-out...

Ref: https://cjnwatch.co.uk/wp/2018/08/29...ce-adjustment/
nboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 02:48 AM   #2
chrisca70
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you!
Thanks you, good article!
chrisca70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 03:34 AM   #3
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

On the older stuff with a non-movable carrier, I like to check the hairspring and the beat error in multiple positions first. And take the regulator arm through its range as well. If the beat error changes with either of these, it's possible the hairspring has been bent/manipulated in some way. Adjusting the collet would not correct this issue. That's when some hairspring correction is due. Not a easy process. My dad has been doing it for years. Even other watchmakers would send jobs to him. I've repaired some with some success. Sad part is, there's no way to know what someone has done before. Always a challenge trying to fix someone else's mistakes.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 06:39 AM   #4
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Very interesting. For my projects, I've not yet experienced where I could not bring beat error that does not exceed 0.3ms in any given position. Perhaps, I've just been luck thus far. But if I do in the future, I'll know what to look for thanks to your tip. Thank you for posting this. Cheers! -Norm
Old 9 October 2018, 06:46 AM   #5
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nboyer View Post
Very interesting. For my projects, I've not yet experienced where I could not bring beat error that does not exceed 0.3ms in any given position. Perhaps, I've just been luck thus far. But if I do in the future, I'll know what to look for thanks to your tip. Thank you for posting this. Cheers! -Norm
Being second generation I can fall back on a lot of experience from my father. But, even to this day we both see new things. I've called him about issues I may run into, and often he says he's never seen that. lol. So many little things can go wrong, especially when someone has messed it up.

I once serviced a 3035 Rolex that had some sort of small washers GLUED to the balance wheel! I assumed someone was trying to regulate it because they didn't realize you need the Microstella tool? Who knows. But, because of that, plus damage to the hairspring, I just went ahead and replaced the balance complete. Ran perfect after that. It was an absolute mess on the timing machine prior to that obviously.
Old 9 October 2018, 07:57 AM   #6
nboyer
"TRF" Member

I have so much respect for talented watchmakers. Before I start as a hobbyist, I really did not realize how difficult it was to service a mechanical watch. After flinging those tiny parts, jewel caps, KIF springs across the room, I’ve been spending much of my time trying to improve my technique. I now do not touch those items without placing a small piece of zip lock bag over them and then removing with a pair of tweezers. These are hard lessons learned from an amateur like me, and, let’s not get into costs of replacing those items off of eBay . I bet you’ve seen some crazy stuff come across your bench and wondered what the heck was that person thinking . Cheers! -Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Being second generation I can fall back on a lot of experience from my father. But, even to this day we both see new things. I've called him about issues I may run into, and often he says he's never seen that. lol. So many little things can go wrong, especially when someone has messed it up.

I once serviced a 3035 Rolex that had some sort of small washers GLUED to the balance wheel! I assumed someone was trying to regulate it because they didn't realize you need the Microstella tool? Who knows. But, because of that, plus damage to the hairspring, I just went ahead and replaced the balance complete. Ran perfect after that. It was an absolute mess on the timing machine prior to that obviously.
Old 9 October 2018, 08:03 AM   #7
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
I have so much respect for talented watchmakers. Before I start as a hobbyist, I really did not realize how difficult it was to service a mechanical watch. After flinging those tiny parts, jewel caps, KIF springs across the room, I’ve been spending much of my time trying to improve my technique. I now do not touch those items without placing a small piece of zip lock bag over them and then removing with a pair of tweezers. These are hard lessons learned from an amateur like me, and, let’s not get into costs of replacing those items off of eBay . I bet you’ve seen some crazy stuff come across your bench and wondered what the heck was that person thinking . Cheers! -Norm
It can be difficult and/or frustrating at times. But, it's actually a good way to learn if it doesn't bankrupt you lol. You don't forget a lesson when it costs you time and/or money. And some things, you just don't learn any other way.
Old 9 October 2018, 08:12 AM   #8
nboyer
"TRF" Member

So true. Speaking of bankrupcy, the tools alone can empty your wallet. . But it’s something I really enjoy, so it’s all worth it to me. I am selective in what project watches I buy and when I breathe new life into them, the feeling of satisfaction is priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
It can be difficult and/or frustrating at times. But, it's actually a good way to learn if it doesn't bankrupt you lol. You don't forget a lesson when it costs you time and/or money. And some things, you just don't learn any other way.
Old 9 October 2018, 08:18 AM   #9
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Enjoy it. For me it started out as just a job. But, as each day passes I've come to appreciate it more and more. And, we're one of the few that get to see how these things work. I pick up more and more work because of less and less watchmakers being available.
Old 9 October 2018, 08:49 AM   #10
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

We see this sometimes. Usually balance staff was changed at some point by a person who doesn't have a timing machine.

Quote:
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 10:51 AM   #11
nboyer
"TRF" Member

Gotta love that timing machine . I wonder how they adjusted for beat error back in the day? Just a visual that the pallet fork was equidistant between the banking pins when at rest? Can't imagine they had a timing machine during the days of railroad watches from the likes of Hamilton, Elgin, Illinois, etc. Cheers! -Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
We see this sometimes. Usually balance staff was changed at some point by a person who doesn't have a timing machine.