The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 7 October 2018, 07:28 AM   #1
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Chronograph

I’ve been working on my collection hard this year as funds have been available. I am lacking a chronograph in my collection and am actively looking for one. Two chronos off the table are the Daytona(love it but not realistically priced) or the speed master(have never liked it.) There are some I’m considering and would love your opinions. I’ll post photos of those that I’m considering.

These are the few that I’m really interested in with the Grand Seiko probably the front runner. I’d like to hear your opinions and suggest some with a pic that I maybe over looking. 10k is top of budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Txkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 08:00 AM   #2
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
To me the Zenith is the pick of that bunch. The GS is appealing but a very busy dial and oversized crowns looks odd IMO. The other watches mentioned are really in the same class.
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:06 AM   #3
dualcarb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lover
I’ll be the odd one that picks the Tag...not something that you come across everyday. Nice symmetry on the case and it’s got some heritage to back it up, similar to the other chronos that you listed. Go try them on your wrist before you finalise your decision.
dualcarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:14 AM   #4
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Zenith Heuer Hamilton.

In that order. That hamilton has a strong shot at position two by the way but the Zenith is the top of that list.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:28 AM   #5
Dynamite_Kid19
"TRF" Member

Zenith is #1 to me. I've never been able to love the subdial layout on that GS. With your budget you could get a panda/reverse panda set of the Hamiltons and still have some change left over.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Dynamite_Kid19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 09:43 AM   #6
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I love my Zenith chrono

denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 10:16 AM   #7
PJ S
Banned

If you’re going to go for a Grand Seiko Chronograph, personally I’d opt for the non-GMT’d version — SBGB001 & 003

Looking beyond, and if you’re drawn to the hi-beat of the Zenith, then you’ve the Bulgarian Octo Velocissmo.
Further, you’ve the LE Chopard L.U.C. Chrono One, the Blancpain L–Evolution and Bathyscaphe Chronographs, as well as the Air Command, if you like that style of bezel.
Then there is the Parmigiani Fleurier Pershing 002 & 003, the Tonda Metrographe, the Girard–Perregaux Laureato Chronograph, the Piaget Polo S Chronograph, and Glashütte Original Seventies or Senator Chronographs.
And, as if it even needed saying, there’s the 2nd Gen Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph... if you are able to push the budget by another grand or two.

In other words, you’ve a plethora to mull over before beginning the shortlisting process.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 10:17 AM   #8
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualcarb View Post
I’ll be the odd one that picks the Tag...not something that you come across everyday. Nice symmetry on the case and it’s got some heritage to back it up, similar to the other chronos that you listed. Go try them on your wrist before you finalise your decision.
I’ve tried all but the Tag and Hamilton on. I actually love how funky the GS is and love the outrageous pushers. The zenith is great too. I’m kind of on hold so I can try on the other two, but the tag has been hard to find to try on.
Old 7 October 2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
If you’re going to go for a Grand Seiko Chronograph, personally I’d opt for the non-GMT’d version — SBGB001 & 003

Looking beyond, and if you’re drawn to the hi-beat of the Zenith, then you’ve the Bulgarian Octo Velocissmo.
Further, you’ve the LE Chopard L.U.C. Chrono One, the Blancpain L–Evolution and Bathyscaphe Chronographs, as well as the Air Command, if you like that style of bezel.
Then there is the Parmigiani Fleurier Pershing 002 & 003, the Tonda Metrographe, the Girard–Perregaux Laureato Chronograph, the Piaget Polo S Chronograph, and Glashütte Original Seventies or Senator Chronographs.
And, as if it even needed saying, there’s the 2nd Gen Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph... if you are able to push the budget by another grand or two.

In other words, you’ve a plethora to mull over before beginning the shortlisting process.
Lol, I know there are a million options in my price range...but I feel like I’d know immediately when I put it on my wrist that that particular watch is the one. I also need to make damn sure it’s the one I want because it will be the only chronograph in my collection. Thanks for all the homework!
Old 7 October 2018, 01:50 PM   #10
Helmi
"TRF" Member

Zenith for me in this group. However, I would consider the heuer Monaco and tudor black bay chrono. Also, is it only the speedmaster professional that you don't like or all omega models? Because they gave some great chronos that are worth considering.
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 01:51 PM   #11
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Aesthetics probably matter most to me when considering a watch and of that bunch I like the Hamilton best followed by the Heuer. I don't really like the colors or the overlapping dials on the Zenith and the GS is just a mess.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 October 2018, 06:09 PM   #12
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txkill View Post
Lol, I know there are a million options in my price range...but I feel like I’d know immediately when I put it on my wrist that that particular watch is the one. I also need to make damn sure it’s the one I want because it will be the only chronograph in my collection. Thanks for all the homework!
You’re welcome! A bit of homework never hurt anyone.
Since you’re buying something without agonising over its future residual value, then you may as well really take the time to see what can be had for your budget (new & pre–owned), that matches up with your definition of “the one”.

I left out a few, not least the likes of Breguet Type XX/XXI/XXII, IWC Spitfire, and Hublot Classic Fusion Chronograph (not to be confused with the Big Bang) as I concentrated on those with a true in-house movement, nicely decorated to admire, or with an interesting design in the case of the Bvlgari, GO, and G-P.
Maybe I should’ve mentioned the quirky Pierre Kunz Sport too...?
Old 7 October 2018, 06:57 PM   #13
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 03:24 AM   #14
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post

I’ve never tried the Tudor on and it might be a contender, but something’s off about it, at least to me. Can’t put my finger on it

Old 10 October 2018, 01:39 AM   #15
Herkztimez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Just one?!?
I am actually in the same dilemma! I got no chronographs in the collection and I’m looking for my first. I’m leaning towards the Zenith due to its horological history, but I have also considered the Speedy Sapphire. In your case I’d go Zenith, Heuer, Hamilton. Not sure of the Heuer, but that Hamilton seems a bit thick. The thickness is one thing to be aware of when buying Chronos. Good luck!

Herkztimez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 02:19 AM   #16
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Have you considered the JLC MC Chrono sector dial?
Of the ones you mentioned, I think i'd go Zenith.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:09 AM   #17
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Zenith definitely

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 03:02 AM   #18
Txkill
"TRF" Member

So I went and tried on a bunch of chronographs (Daytona, GP Laureato, Tag Heuer autavia, Carrera, zenith el primero, Grand Seiko, etc...my favorite out of the Busch was the GP laureato. That thing is pretty amazing really. Still have a few more to look at.
Old 11 October 2018, 06:00 AM   #19
PJ S
Banned

Keep going, but I’m not surprised you took a shine to the Laureato – many dismiss it due to the Royal Oak and Nautilus.
Old 11 October 2018, 06:46 AM   #20
dubins930
2024 Pledge Member

I would go El Primero...the hamilton a close second
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 06:56 AM   #21
D111s
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few
Definitely the Zenith! The GS looks interesting but those pushers turn me off completely. The Hamilton looks great and actually so does the Tag!

But go zenith, it’s pretty special
D111s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 11:49 AM   #22
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Thought I’d update you all on what I picked up. I ended up going with the Grand Seiko sbgc205 spring drive made of titanium with gold hands and indices. I absolutely love this watch! I actually wasn’t going to because I let others opinions steer me towards a more traditional chrono, and was seriously looking at the Heuers, Hamilton Intra Matic, even a speedmaster. But the second I put the titanium version of the GS on my wrist it was an easy decision.

Old 27 October 2018, 12:24 PM   #23
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
BRAVO! You made the best choice for you, and that’s all that matters.

Enjoy it for a long time!
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 08:57 PM   #24
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

GSeiko imho.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 10:27 PM   #25
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2018, 11:16 PM   #26
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I love my Zenith chrono

Very nice and a proper 1/5th of a second.

My choice.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 04:58 AM   #27
Maxtor
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Congrats... great watch choice.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 01:28 AM   #28
SSCosmo
"TRF" Member

Congrats and I think you made the right choice. IMO, the other watches you were looking at do not even come close to the interesting movement, finishing, and overall quality of the GS. Not everyone likes the looks of GS chronographs, but if you do, I cannot think of a better chronograph for the price.
SSCosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 01:35 AM   #29
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Congrats. Little too late now but I think for 10k this JLC is tough to beat.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 01:31 PM   #30
Txkill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCosmo View Post
Congrats and I think you made the right choice. IMO, the other watches you were looking at do not even come close to the interesting movement, finishing, and overall quality of the GS. Not everyone likes the looks of GS chronographs, but if you do, I cannot think of a better chronograph for the price.

Thank you, and those were my thoughts exactly...the only one I truly lust for and still might acquire down the road is the GP laureato chrono, but at 15 k it’s way too much for my liking....this GS is killer and man, watching the chrono hand just run as smoothly as possible is fun to see. I’m incredibly happy with it.