The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 October 2018, 07:40 AM   #1
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
School me on quality leather straps

Last week I purchased a strap from WatchGecko for $20 shipped and it looks identical to a $100 one on the W&W shop or $150 on the Hodinkee online store (both natural leather, not shell cordovan). The strap I got has "Horween Leather" stamped on.

How does one distinguish good quality leather from lesser quality leather, in the absence of any stampings on the leather itself? What goes into a strap that makes, for example, a B&S strap so much more expensive than a strap from individual sellers here on TRF?

Outside of marketing and custom designs, what goes into a generic leather strap that would justify paying more for one over another?
Old 6 October 2018, 06:12 AM   #2
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Craftsmanship. Being hand-made (i.e. actually by hand). I like the bulandandsons ones
Old 6 October 2018, 06:26 AM   #3
Burlington
"TRF" Member

There is so much in the material for one. Leather comes in all sorts of grades which will affect the grain, how well it takes colour, suppleness and longevity.

The craftsmanship, how well the edges are finished, is the stitching even, has the leather been skimmed down at one edge to improve fit.

There are of course exotic leathers which also have a price impact. The best leather strap I've seen have come from Santoni who primarily make shoes. Each strap (alligator ones at least anyway) is hand 'painted' to give it a perfect effect.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 06:29 AM   #4
SG56
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Subscribed!
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 07:12 AM   #5
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
FWIW, I bought two of the Worn and Wound straps: a Model 1 in dark brown (Color 8, I think it's called?) and a Model 2 in a different dark brown. The Model 2 is soft right out of the box and has resisted the stretch marks that often come when a leather band is breaking in. The Model 1, while more expensive, is frustratingly stiff, difficult to get on the buckle (due to its non-tapered design), and the waxed edge started stripping off within a month, showing the nature color of the leather. Not impressed.

I'm pretty uninformed with leather, though, as I usually like NATO straps. I guess my thought has always been "you get what you pay for." But I think I proved myself wrong with that by the two W&W straps I bought.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 01:30 PM   #6
idontlike_bandwagons
Banned

Best quality and longevity you can get is double alligator.
F.P. Journe and Montblanc are using them unlike most luxury houses like PP, Lange, Blancpain, etc. - they use calf skin for underside to lower cost. This also compromises the longevity.

Factually all leather straps are stiched with hand guided machine, just like every clothes - “hand made” is just a marketing term which the watch industry makes excessive use of.

It’s totally unimportant if the leather comes from Italy - Italian leather is nothing special nor better or worse than from anywhere else.

B&S is mostly good marketing, equal to other quality strap makers, just for a more premium price for customers who want premium prices.
idontlike_bandwagons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 04:15 PM   #7
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
I have several brands of leather and I can tell a difference in some more then others. The quality of the leather and stitching are the easiest ways to tell quality. You can tell a hand stitch over a machine stitch. Sure, you pay more for someone to actually make your strap but that’s how it is, and I understand. While I don’t think some straps are worth the upgrade (worn & wound and Hodinkee are both overrated imo) some are. Bulang is good, Bas & Lokes is amazing and actually Colareb and Hirsch are good for the price
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:47 AM   #8
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
I have several brands of leather and I can tell a difference in some more then others. The quality of the leather and stitching are the easiest ways to tell quality. You can tell a hand stitch over a machine stitch. Sure, you pay more for someone to actually make your strap but that’s how it is, and I understand. While I don’t think some straps are worth the upgrade (worn & wound and Hodinkee are both overrated imo) some are. Bulang is good, Bas & Lokes is amazing and actually Colareb and Hirsch are good for the price

Hmm, how do you tell a hand stitch from a machine stitch? And why is hand stitch seemingly preferred? I assume a machine would do the job better... (can get stitching lined up perfectly straight, can pierce through thicker leather more easily etc.)
Old 9 October 2018, 01:08 AM   #9
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Go for cordovan straps. Unless you're spending > 300 USD, don't worry too much about the stitching, most reputable makers will be in the same space.

Checkout these guys:

https://www.camillefournet.com/
Old 10 October 2018, 01:33 PM   #10
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Go for cordovan straps. Unless you're spending > 300 USD, don't worry too much about the stitching, most reputable makers will be in the same space.

Checkout these guys:

https://www.camillefournet.com/
2x pretty sure they make the straps for patek

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 01:36 PM   #11
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
i'd check out Aaron Bespoke. His stuff looks amazing.
Old 10 October 2018, 02:15 PM   #12
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Check out 922leather
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 02:17 PM   #13
Stargazer735
"TRF" Member

I'm a big fan of Hirsch. They make great quality stuff at reasonable prices.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Stargazer735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 06:23 AM   #14
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Cordovan for sure. It may not help you as Santoni makes straps for IWC, but Santoni is in a completely different league than any other leather strap I have ever seen. I have IWC Portugieser with black Santoni, I also have a Santoni shoes and they speak for themself.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 08:50 AM   #15
Vinyasa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II 16570
I've heard many great things about Dangerous9 straps made by John Glance, and have two hand-made Swiss ammo straps on order. I have a Hirsch waterproof alligator strap that I often use, and can recommend that brand.

I have a few cheaper leather straps (< $100USD) that I'll rotate in/out, and the bottom line IMO is there is a distinct difference between the cheaper commercially-made straps and the more expensive ones in terms of craftsmanship/detail and longevity.
Vinyasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 02:04 PM   #16
wbb2
"TRF" Member

i've bought a strap from bulang and sons and can confirm quality and service is great
wbb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 10:54 PM   #17
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

If just cow leather, it's in the prep and have $50 and $300 straps and, frankly, not that much of a difference to justify the added costs if well-chosen. Thailand and other places make some impressive straps.

If you're talking very exotic leather types is where cost/quality can vary quite a bit, yet more $$$ is not ALWAYS better. Yes higher-end $300+ French or Swiss made strap means a minimum very good quality, or more attention to detail of matching the exotic leather strap's natural pattern... yet for $100-$150 you may find the same handcrafted quality and detail to matching things up (and dare we admit far more exotic leather types) from Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

jmho

Again, if it's 'just' cow leather i'd go with whatever seems really nice and $50 is usually fine. NOTE that i give ALL leathers (watch bands, car interiors, leather jackets, etc) a treatment of Leatherique. Vintage Rolls Royce restoration guys love the stuff too! It keeps the leather 'lubed' and soft-supple. Adds to the logitivy / life of the material. Again, jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2022, 11:00 PM   #18
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
https://www.snprstrap.com/shop
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2022, 07:33 AM   #19
yankeeromeo
2024 Pledge Member

I used Delugs. Slow delivery though
yankeeromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2022, 11:41 PM   #20
Mendota
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36 Blue 3-6-9
I have bought from Martu Leather in the past and Andrea does a really nice job. She's in Central America and she hand makes everything and then includes a nice hand written card explaining what you received. Her prices are great.

Martuleather.com

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Mendota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 12:26 AM   #21
AltiTudor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
His stuff IS amazing. I've purchased three straps, a belt, and a wallet from him — all top-notch. When you compare his prices/quality with what you'd get from other "bespoke" makers, I don't know how the others justify their pricing.

Aaron Bespoke/Combat Straps (same company) is fantastic.
AltiTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2022, 01:21 AM   #22
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
https://www.aaronbespoke.com/artists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendota View Post
I have bought from Martu Leather ....
https://www.martuleather.com

Gave a quick look at both, great straps! Bookmarked, love TRF and thx guys!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote