The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 October 2018, 07:48 PM   #1
m.1.ill
"TRF" Member

Hodinkee / C&T Nubuck Straps

Hey all,

I'm a big fan of the nubuck watch straps on Hodinkee (labelled 'Aged Leather" and Craft & Tailored. They are clearly from the same supplier (exact same construction and colours).

The regular vintage styled watches they both sell appear to be Jean Paul Menicucci (JPM), which I've purchased more affordably priced on other stores such as Bulong & Sons in Europe, or Watch Obsession (UK).

I don't like to bad mouth, but I find that the strap prices on Hodinkee and C&T are absolutely obscene. USD$155 for the nubuck straps before shipping!...

Does anyone know who makes their nubuck straps and if they can be sourced elsewhere at a more appropriate price? (note: I am not interested in any alternative manufacturer - I'm specifically after those particular nubuck straps).

TIA
m.1.ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 01:24 AM   #2
Rvltn123
"TRF" Member

Search internet for "Peter Watch Acc." Then email him.
Rvltn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2018, 11:54 AM   #3
m.1.ill
"TRF" Member

Thanks, but not appear to the maker of the nubuck straps I am searching for. Looks to make a nice alligator strap though.

Anyone out there with the knowledge I seek?
Old 15 October 2018, 02:51 PM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.1.ill View Post
Hey all,

I'm a big fan of the nubuck watch straps on Hodinkee (labelled 'Aged Leather" and Craft & Tailored. They are clearly from the same supplier (exact same construction and colours).

The regular vintage styled watches they both sell appear to be Jean Paul Menicucci (JPM), which I've purchased more affordably priced on other stores such as Bulong & Sons in Europe, or Watch Obsession (UK).

I don't like to bad mouth, but I find that the strap prices on Hodinkee and C&T are absolutely obscene. USD$155 for the nubuck straps before shipping!...

Does anyone know who makes their nubuck straps and if they can be sourced elsewhere at a more appropriate price? (note: I am not interested in any alternative manufacturer - I'm specifically after those particular nubuck straps).

TIA
Since you seem to have the inside track, what should they retail for?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 02:00 AM   #5
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Hey all,

TIA
Quality costs money. How about finding some other suppliers that do a great job of selling straps more reasonably? BandRBands, Crown & Buckle, etc. There are plenty of options out there.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:10 AM   #6
R!$
Banned

everything hodinkee is overpriced
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 08:36 PM   #7
m.1.ill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
Quality costs money. How about finding some other suppliers that do a great job of selling straps more reasonably? BandRBands, Crown & Buckle, etc. There are plenty of options out there.
Well yeah, I'm on the hunt for that particular maker right now. I've bought leather straps from those I listed at the top and a heap of nato's from Crown & Buckle. The B&R Bands also look great too, but I am after a couple of the unique nubuck colour/style combos - I just don't believe in paying the massive markup that Hod and C&T put on their straps and the rest of their products (that markup isn't buying higher quality). Someone else clearly makes them so I'm trying to find out who and get them direct from supplier or another retailer with reasonable margins...
Old 17 October 2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well yeah, I'm on the hunt for that particular maker right now. I've bought leather straps from those I listed at the top and a heap of nato's from Crown & Buckle. The B&R Bands also look great too, but I am after a couple of the unique nubuck colour/style combos - I just don't believe in paying the massive markup that Hod and C&T put on their straps and the rest of their products (that markup isn't buying higher quality). Someone else clearly makes them so I'm trying to find out who and get them direct from supplier or another retailer with reasonable margins...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 12:37 AM   #9
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
everything hodinkee is overpriced
You’re not kidding! They are really capitalizing on the reputation they built.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 02:39 AM   #10
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Hodinkee has been discredited.

They wrote this...
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/un...on-introducing

about this watch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wswgputQoCk

Hodinkee? Pfffft.
Old 18 October 2018, 09:16 PM   #11
m.1.ill
"TRF" Member

This has gotten a little off topic...

To summarise:
- Hodinkee / C&T are resalers.
- They share at least some of the same strap suppliers.
- Does anyone know who makes and supplies their nubuck straps?

Let me be crystal: I am not interested in other straps right now. Just the nubucks. Labelled as "Aged Hunter/Moss Green" on Hod and "Nubuck Watch Strap (Moss/Jade)" on C&T for the same items.
Old 18 October 2018, 11:00 PM   #12
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post

They wrote this...

about this watch...

Hodinkee? Pfffft.
Wow, they took a case made for the Miyota 9015 and put a Seiko NH35/7S26 in it. But the Seiko is a different size, it wiggles around and the rotor binds, movement spacer doesn't fit the case. Pure huckery. If the manufacturer had used the right movements they'd be fine but they cheaped out and screwed up, yikes. Those buyers should demand the maker replace the movements so their watches work like they should. But at that price it'll never happen, pity.

I know those two movements are not highly regarded by the HH crowd, but there's nothing wrong with either, I have robust and excellent watches using each in my collection, the 9015 particularly is a fine timekeeper. And from an engineering standpoint the Seiko managing to keep time for thirty-odd years without service while being made of pot metal, baling wire, and judiciously chosen NYLON components, is a feat for which I have nothing but honest admiration. Anyway not much of an issue for the TRF crowd but there are lots of interesting bits of horology out there that don't involve Rolex.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 11:32 PM   #13
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
I’ve read that Jean-Paul Menicucci supplies straps to Hodinkee, as well as many other purveyors. And since they are a retail supplier themselves, I doubt you’re gonna get a better deal going directly to them. In fact, those specific straps were most likely made for sale by Hod. and Craft & Tailored.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 11:44 PM   #14
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Just email JP and ask. Quality straps for a reasonable price. Kind of similar quality from Molequin as well even if I prefer JPM.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:56 AM   #15
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post

They wrote this...

about this watch...

Hodinkee? Pfffft.
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 03:38 AM   #16
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Even if you do they are not going to sell you one or two straps. Manufactures sell in bulk to retailers, hodinkee, bulang and other resellers sell at at a price point set by the manufacture whilst having some wiggle room they sell at rrp, and higher quality is exactly what you are paying for when you buy these handmade straps.
Swiss_Time_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 02:38 AM   #17
flipb
"TRF" Member

Check out Clock Work Synergy. They have nice straps at fair prices
flipb is offline   Reply With Quote