The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 August 2018, 06:12 PM   #421
Chope Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue dial 16618
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
just beautiful. Love the brown leather strap with the albino. Great contrast.
I totally agree! This Big Block is splendid!

Beautiful shot, as well.
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 03:59 AM   #422
Mr_Pacman
"TRF" Member

I wanted to give this thread an "aftermarket leather strap" update.

I was having challenges finding an aftermarket leather strap with the following criteria:

- 20mm x 16mm
- fits under the removeable Tudor endlinks
- fit's the Tudor deployant buckle

I tried lots of straps but found challenges getting them to fit under the endlinks, as the padding usually interfered. The stock Tudor leather for these watches has a flat part that allows it to fit under the endlinks.

I'm glad to share that the Hirsch Livingstone works really well. It's 20mm x 16mm, has a flat part just before the padding starts (just like the stock Tudor leather) to fit the endlinks and it fits the deployant buckle as well.

here are some quick pictures, along with a stock picture of the strap:

Mr_Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 03:23 AM   #423
Georgevlado
"TRF" Member

Just posting my tudor 79260 with black face and oyster bracelet

I paid $1900 did I get a deal did I over pay i wear it everyday since a year
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9788263C-9AC4-4769-9378-E2013F09E942.jpeg (251.2 KB, 599 views)
Georgevlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2018, 12:43 AM   #424
threenineline
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgevlado View Post
I paid $1900 did I get a deal did I over pay i wear it everyday since a year

Solid steal. Especially with the bracelet. Be proud!
threenineline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2018, 04:59 PM   #425
mondie
"TRF" Member

This is a great thread that I have come back to over and over again in recent years. My first proper watch was a 79180 with a white dial bought back in 1995. Unfortunately, I sold it around 2002 as we needed the money to finish our house In the early 2000's I dabbled in a few other 79180's with different dial configurations but nothing stayed for long.

A few years ago I decided I needed 'my' 79180 back and went looking for a white dial version (panda I guess its known as). Anyway, I could not find one that I was happy with, there were many more silver dial versions around so I figured it was near enough and bought one. Lovely watch but its just not the same and I never really wore it. Last year I decided I had to have a white dial and started watching the market for a good one to come up while also searching for a white dial that I could fit to mine. I never found a dial but finally found a nice white dial 79180, it should be here on Monday and I cannot wait! The white dial just does it for me but I reckon there must be 10 silver for every white out there, very difficult to find one.

Is this other experience, or have I just been unlucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDorpNY View Post
Hello! Long time lurker but this is my first post here at TRF.

First off, thanks for all of the information in this thread. This thread has some of the best Big Block info on the internet and it was a big reason that I pulled the trigger on a 94210. It arrived last week and I'm in love. Great wrist presence and I'm a big fan of the 12 hour bezel.

My question is regarding the hands of my 94210. As you can see in the photo, the hands of my watch are silver. Practically all of the pictures I have found online show this model with dark hands, although I did find a few that also had silver hands. My watch is a 25xxx serial number. Did Tudor ever use silver hands with this model or are they service replacements? Thank you!
I see you never got a reply to this post. I only know from my own experience with the 79180 white dial that these had both silver and black hands. I prefer the silver if I had a choice but I am sure the black hands are much better for mya ging eyes.
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 11:53 PM   #426
aurenas
"TRF" Member

Hello guys,

I have read all this thread from page one to fifteen.

I have a question,

what do you think about this big block? Is it priced right?

https://www.8time.it/it/catalogo-oro...ig-block/267/0

Instagram watchauren
aurenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2018, 11:56 PM   #427
JPMickB83
"TRF" Member

Looks about right. I’d want to make sure it’s running strong, haha enough links or your wrist, and that you trust this international seller. You’ll likely also pay import duties, depending on how they ship it.
JPMickB83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 01:45 AM   #428
mondie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurenas View Post
I have a question,

The photos are pretty bad, i would want clear high res photos before going further. Why is it listed as 1996, presumably an error, or not sold until production of the 791xx finished, be worth asking?
mondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2018, 06:08 PM   #429
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurenas View Post
Hello guys,

I have read all this thread from page one to fifteen.

I have a question,

https://www.8time.it/it/catalogo-oro...ig-block/267/0
Quite unusual dial. Case looks a little battered. Difficult to make a good decision as photos so poor.
Old 19 December 2018, 08:59 AM   #430
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
To add pics from my thread. B85 Serial 79260

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2018, 02:16 PM   #431
NewDorpNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondie View Post
This is a great thread that I have come back to over and over again in recent years. My first proper watch was a 79180 with a white dial bought back in 1995. Unfortunately, I sold it around 2002 as we needed the money to finish our house In the early 2000's I dabbled in a few other 79180's with different dial configurations but nothing stayed for long.

A few years ago I decided I needed 'my' 79180 back and went looking for a white dial version (panda I guess its known as). Anyway, I could not find one that I was happy with, there were many more silver dial versions around so I figured it was near enough and bought one. Lovely watch but its just not the same and I never really wore it. Last year I decided I had to have a white dial and started watching the market for a good one to come up while also searching for a white dial that I could fit to mine. I never found a dial but finally found a nice white dial 79180, it should be here on Monday and I cannot wait! The white dial just does it for me but I reckon there must be 10 silver for every white out there, very difficult to find one.

Is this other experience, or have I just been unlucky?

I see you never got a reply to this post. I only know from my own experience with the 79180 white dial that these had both silver and black hands. I prefer the silver if I had a choice but I am sure the black hands are much better for mya ging eyes.
Thank you! I asked that question a while back.

Still love this thread and still loving my 94210.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
NewDorpNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 01:38 AM   #432
ashullscachull
"TRF" Member

Hi there—

I’ve been lurking for a while and am interested in a Tudor Chrono to scratch the Daytona itch and because by all accounts they’re great watches. I’m looking at a Tiger (collectibility doesn’t bother me nor does the Woods connection). My question is bracelets: seems from reading this thread there are 4 possibilities: Rolex Oyster, leather, Tudor jubilee-style and a Tudor Oyster-like bracelet. Some have complained that the Tudor Oyster feels cheap or light. Why is that? How bad is it really? I plan to wear the watch both on its bracelet and a Cordovan leather strap, but I’ve also become spoiled to good, solid watches (rolex DJ 36 and GMT) and don’t want to hate how this feels.

What’s the consensus on a reasonable price for a Tudor Tiger Chrono in good shape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ashullscachull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2019, 09:37 PM   #433
snowflake
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1803/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashullscachull View Post
Hi there—

I’ve been lurking for a while and am interested in a Tudor Chrono to scratch the Daytona itch and because by all accounts they’re great watches. I’m looking at a Tiger (collectibility doesn’t bother me nor does the Woods connection). My question is bracelets: seems from reading this thread there are 4 possibilities: Rolex Oyster, leather, Tudor jubilee-style and a Tudor Oyster-like bracelet. Some have complained that the Tudor Oyster feels cheap or light. Why is that? How bad is it really? I plan to wear the watch both on its bracelet and a Cordovan leather strap, but I’ve also become spoiled to good, solid watches (rolex DJ 36 and GMT) and don’t want to hate how this feels.

What’s the consensus on a reasonable price for a Tudor Tiger Chrono in good shape?

As far as I am concerned, the Tudor genuine Oyster bracelet is comparable to the Rolex Oyster bracelet. It people find the quality difference between the two, it could be to do with the production era (even the Rolex Oyster bracelets the quality seems higher in later production).
snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2019, 12:35 AM   #434
sillo
"TRF" Member

Tudor Chronograph Knowledge

Quote:
Hi there—

Rolex Oyster, leather, Tudor jubilee-style and a Tudor Oyster-like bracelet. Some have complained that the Tudor Oyster feels cheap or light. Why is that? How bad is it really?

I don’t notice any difference between the 78400 and the 78360 besides the name stamped on the clasp.

@TheGMTHand
Old 7 January 2019, 12:36 AM   #435
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Tudor Chronograph Knowledge

Hi. Here are my 2 cents.

Many folks including myself prefer the non-TIGER dial models. Cleaner looking and more desirable.

All of these bracelets are good. Like Rolex Oyster bracelets of that era, you will find ‘hollow’ center links which is why some folks might think it’s cheap feeling. These SS 78360 / 605 & 78400 bracelets are fine ! I’m sure the leather ones are fine also.

I have the 62490 bracelet which kinda looks like a hybrid of the Rolex Jubilee & Oyster ones and it actually has solid middle links ! Rare for Rolex watches of these era. My 79280p was made in 1998.

Check eBay worldwide sold prices and Chrono24 asking prices for an idea. Note: the 79270 usually goes for the most due it’s bezel rarity compares to the other 2 models. Non-Tiger and / or Rolex logo branded models also command a premium.

Here’s a sample pic of the bracelets offered.

Quote:
Hi there—

jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 02:17 AM   #436
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Minor correction for my post above. The 62490 bracelet doesn’t have solid middle links. This bracelet has 5 parts that make up each link. The 2nd and 4th components have solid links around the screw holes. The 3rd is hollow like on other bracelets.

It's still a pretty straight strong bracelet due to the obvious Rolex quality and the 2nd + 4th components. It definitely has less movement to introduce stretch (through grime) than my newer 2000s Oyster ones.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 01:08 AM   #437
WorthlessGerman
"TRF" Member

For those of you who have swapped dials, where/how were you able to find new hands for the dial? I'm looking for a set of black large hands (hour/minute/seconds) and white subdial hands - i.e., the correct hands for the non-Tiger, silver sunburst dial with black subdials. I've not yet tried an AD, but suspect the answer would be a hard no - and that's assuming one of the RSCs even has them anymore...
WorthlessGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 01:25 AM   #438
johnjm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorthlessGerman View Post
For those of you who have swapped dials, where/how were you able to find new hands for the dial? I'm looking for a set of black large hands (hour/minute/seconds) and white subdial hands - i.e., the correct hands for the non-Tiger, silver sunburst dial with black subdials. I've not yet tried an AD, but suspect the answer would be a hard no - and that's assuming one of the RSCs even has them anymore...
Best bet is AD. I got my dial replaced. The dials come with the hands so it's always a proper match.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 20 February 2019, 01:58 PM   #439
mayorjuan
"TRF" Member

Hi Gents,

Just wanted to ask a question about 79160 dial variants. I’m currently looking at a couple of examples in Japan, and noticed that some dials on this model have “T SWISS T” while others have “T SWISS MADE T” written on them. Can someone explain why this is the case? Do earlier models have this differenciation compared to later examples? Is one a service dial vs an original? Also, I know that valuation is discouraged, but if someone could fill me in on what a fair price would be for this model, it would be much appreciated, PM works fine as well. FYI I am looking at both the black dial with white subs, and the white dial with black subs, both with plastic tachy bezels. Many thanks in advance my friends!
mayorjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:54 PM   #440
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

T Swiss T is the earlier variant. T Swiss Made T are found on the later version. Mine is a 50xxxxx Serial (1993) with the later version. Prices are everywhere. Use all the resources available and price accordingly based on condition, box, papers etc.
Old 21 February 2019, 02:49 AM   #441
enginerd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
T Swiss T is the earlier variant. T Swiss Made T are found on the later version. Mine is a 50xxxxx Serial (1993) with the later version. Prices are everywhere. Use all the resources available and price accordingly based on condition, box, papers etc.
T SWISS MADE T here. I think my 79160 is around 1994.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180105_081816.resized.jpg (230.0 KB, 353 views)
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 04:11 AM   #442
sillo
"TRF" Member

My ~1997 79260 is also T Swiss Made T

@TheGMTHand
Old 27 February 2019, 11:49 AM   #443
I3lacklabel00
"TRF" Member

If I purchased a 79180, am I able to get a 79160 bezel and put it on? Is it compatible? Thanks

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
I3lacklabel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2019, 07:49 PM   #444
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3lacklabel00 View Post
If I purchased a 79180, am I able to get a 79160 bezel and put it on? Is it compatible? Thanks

It should be no problem, but I would not make the change. Either it is a 79180 or a 79160. ;)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 27 February 2019, 10:15 PM   #445
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:

Doable but very difficult to source a bezel to swap. There are so many 791XX combos available it would be much easier to find the exact reference/ dial combo you want rather than attempting to create what you want. Ask me how I know.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:02 AM   #446
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
My albino dial 72980P Prince Date, non tiger, baton markers, “Swiss Made,” 7840 oyster bracelet with 605 end links. Tudor signed crown and case back.

My "small block"

SunTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:10 AM   #447
I3lacklabel00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Doable but very difficult to source a bezel to swap. There are so many 791XX combos available it would be much easier to find the exact reference/ dial combo you want rather than attempting to create what you want. Ask me how I know.
dP
Doing some research, it may be cost effective to do the bezel swap...slim pickings on the 79160s as of late

Old 28 February 2019, 01:16 AM   #448
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Doing some research, it may be cost effective to do the bezel swap...slim pickings on the 79160s as of late

If you think 79160's are slim pickings, try sourcing a 60 bezel. It's not impossible but pretty rare.

Having said that, good luck!
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2019, 01:22 AM   #449
I3lacklabel00
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
If you think 79160's are slim pickings, try sourcing a 60 bezel. It's not impossible but pretty rare.

Having said that, good luck!

dP
Thanks. Anyone have one available here??

Old 28 February 2019, 01:25 AM   #450
dmb359
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My favorites are the 79260, and I prefer the Tiger dial.

I had a white one and sold it last year (and miss it). Now I have a black dial one I love.