The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2018, 04:35 PM   #3271
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I've been into dress sneakers recently like the Bally Ascan. https://www.bally.com/en_us/man/shoe...t-6223114.html

Sorry, never heard of that term before. Dress Sneaker?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 05:22 PM   #3272
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
I've been into dress sneakers recently like the Bally Ascan. https://www.bally.com/en_us/man/shoe...t-6223114.html
Bally make some outstanding dress sneakers, I have a few and love them. You have great taste.

Also have a pair of Bally chukkas which I love, actually made in Switzerland which is rare! Most are made in Italy. They're a Swiss company; you'd think those who actually 'know' Rolex would 'know' of them.

Today, I got a pair of D&G's delivered from Italy and they're absolutely spectacular. But they're streetwear, suede ankle boots made for rainy, winter days we get in the EU and SF.

I'd post some pics but... but yeah... they ain't fancy enough for this crowd.

If you're into sneakers check out Lanvin. My favorite dailies!!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca

Last edited by Laszlo; 13 October 2018 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: favoriacutall
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 01:41 AM   #3273
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Two great choices. Good luck.
Thanks Dan.

Dean Girling is supposed to be at the Trunk show today. He used to do piece work for Cleverley and met Tony Gaziano while he was at Cleverley as well.

Clearly several of their styles have gone more modern / sleek as you say...but with some strong traditional features.

I'll take some pics.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 02:45 AM   #3274
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Thanks Dan.

Dean Girling is supposed to be at the Trunk show today. He used to do piece work for Cleverley and met Tony Gaziano while he was at Cleverley as well.

Clearly several of their styles have gone more modern / sleek as you say...but with some strong traditional features.

I'll take some pics.

Can’t wait, and good luck.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2018, 10:58 AM   #3275
Speed
"TRF" Member

How many of you are into shoes... (Dress Shoes)?

Quote:
Can’t wait, and good luck.

Well, nice to make the acquaintance of Dean Girling. I quite liked a lot of what I saw for made-to-order options. They took a fitting and told me my right foot was 1/2 a size smaller than the left...he acknowledged my short, fat & wide (my words not his) feet could be a challenge...

In the end, I chose this split toed model in black Vs the burgundy shown. Three weeks or so to get the try-on shoe at my local shop...

There were a few other nice pairs as well...

Old 14 October 2018, 11:44 AM   #3276
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Mmm, those look nice. Must resist... lol
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2018, 12:12 PM   #3277
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, nice to make the acquaintance of Dean Girling. I quite liked a lot of what I saw for made-to-order options. They took a fitting and told me my right foot was 1/2 a size smaller than the left...he acknowledged my short, fat & wide (my words not his) feet could be a challenge...

In the end, I chose this split toed model in black Vs the burgundy shown. Three weeks or so to get the try-on shoe at my local shop...

There were a few other nice pairs as well...
So it sounds although it would be a challenge he felt they could provide you with something that would fit? No that unusual to have one foot a half size smaller. I do as well just makes loafers a bit harder to fit. That in itself means any I would purchase would have to be a MTO.

Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Sounds as though you had a successful day.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2018, 12:35 PM   #3278
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So it sounds although it would be a challenge he felt they could provide you with something that would fit? No that unusual to have one foot a half size smaller. I do as well just makes loafers a bit harder to fit. That in itself means any I would purchase would have to be a MTO.

Great pictures thanks for sharing.

Sounds as though you had a successful day.

Sorry Dan. I wasn’t clear... Girling was pointing out - in a nice way - that my short fat feet did present a challenge for some shoe styles, and that bespoke was certainly a good way for me to go...but he was also confident their MTO process / adjustments after the trial shoe fitting, could achieve a good fit.
Old 14 October 2018, 01:59 PM   #3279
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry Dan. I wasn’t clear... Girling was pointing out - in a nice way - that my short fat feet did present a challenge for some shoe styles, and that bespoke was certainly a good way for me to go...but he was also confident their MTO process / adjustments after the trial shoe fitting, could achieve a good fit.
Ah, but that still sounds like good news. I just wasn’t aware that they would be willing to make custom adjustments for an MTO.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2018, 02:27 PM   #3280
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ah, but that still sounds like good news. I just wasn’t aware that they would be willing to make custom adjustments for an MTO.

Same here. It feels quasi-bespoke.
Old 17 October 2018, 12:42 AM   #3281
b0rderman
"TRF" Member

Well, my hunt for winter beaters isn't over but it certainly has its first kill. Carlos Santos suede with Dainite...also my first order from Skoak'. I am very pleased with these shoes, and look forward to seeing how effective nano spray + suede brush is in the long term. If worse comes to worse, my sunk cost is minimal because I went with a value brand. I am still patting myself on the back for postponing my inevitable addiction to the good stuff.

A quick (vertical) video of the suede under a faucet after treatment:
https://youtu.be/mGpI-HaOXGU

Next up is a new arrival/oddity from Viberg. A pair of their slippers. After an initial miss on the sizing, I received these sized 10 in cigar waxed deer. I wear an 11 in their boots. They have been great so far on a couple of dog walks...looking forward to pounding the wood-like leather sole into submission over the years. This is the closest thing I've got to my old boot bashing days...suburban dog walking in slippers.

b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 02:05 AM   #3282
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0rderman View Post
Well, my hunt for winter beaters isn't over but it certainly has its first kill. Carlos Santos suede with Dainite...also my first order from Skoak'. I am very pleased with these shoes, and look forward to seeing how effective nano spray + suede brush is in the long term. If worse comes to worse, my sunk cost is minimal because I went with a value brand. I am still patting myself on the back for postponing my inevitable addiction to the good stuff.

A quick (vertical) video of the suede under a faucet after treatment:

Next up is a new arrival/oddity from Viberg. A pair of their slippers. After an initial miss on the sizing, I received these sized 10 in cigar waxed deer. I wear an 11 in their boots. They have been great so far on a couple of dog walks...looking forward to pounding the wood-like leather sole into submission over the years. This is the closest thing I've got to my old boot bashing days...suburban dog walking in slippers.

Congrats, both solid and good choices.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 17 October 2018, 03:12 AM   #3283
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Nice shoes!
Old 20 October 2018, 05:28 AM   #3284
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Ok, here they are...

John Lobb Russell in meleze buffalo leather and Adidas Yeezy Beluga 2.0. Somewhat different, no?

I got a smoking deal on the Lobbs. They're seconds, but I cannot tell what the issue is with them. Got them for less than the price of a new pair of C&Js. One interesting thing about them is that they feel just fine on my feet, but I cannot get my Lobb trees into them. They're too tight. They fit my other Lobbs (same size, same last) no problem. I'm hoping that the leather just needs to break in and after a few wears, the Lobb trees will slip right in.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:23 AM   #3285
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Ok, here they are...

John Lobb Russell in meleze buffalo leather and Adidas Yeezy Beluga 2.0. Somewhat different, no?

I got a smoking deal on the Lobbs. They're seconds, but I cannot tell what the issue is with them. Got them for less than the price of a new pair of C&Js. One interesting thing about them is that they feel just fine on my feet, but I cannot get my Lobb trees into them. They're too tight. They fit my other Lobbs (same size, same last) no problem. I'm hoping that the leather just needs to break in and after a few wears, the Lobb trees will slip right in.
YEEZYS! Let me guess, your iPhone password is 000000 and you have friends who order their steak's extra well done.

I like the Lobbs. Made to order? I know bespoke are > $7K...but do tell.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:48 AM   #3286
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
YEEZYS! Let me guess, your iPhone password is 000000 and you have friends who order their steak's extra well done.

I like the Lobbs. Made to order? I know bespoke are > $7K...but do tell.
When I heard about the well done steak, I was so disappointed. Way more than I should have been lol.

No, these Lobbs are not MTO. They’re just the standard RTW shoes, which are still awesome IMO. My Lobb Chambords are my favorite shoes.

I am not sure how much MTO JLP start at, but I know MTO JLB starts at 10k+.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:58 AM   #3287
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
When I heard about the well done steak, I was so disappointed. Way more than I should have been lol.

No, these Lobbs are not MTO. They’re just the standard RTW shoes, which are still awesome IMO. My Lobb Chambords are my favorite shoes.

Ahh. I undershot the cost of JLB. Much more than I thought.

Well, I kind of like those Yeezys but not a fan of their creator!

I do like your Lobbs...are they danite soles? Cannot tell for sure.

I may try to get my recent MTO G&Gs pictured above switched to the Isham model - but in black... We'll see. Looking forward to the G&G MTO process...
Old 20 October 2018, 11:18 PM   #3288
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
JLP MTO are typically upchargee $150 but most places will waive the fee. JLP bespoke cost me $7200 back in March 2017. Half up front half upon delivery. I’m not sure what the current price is since this will fluctuate every year based on FX rates. That price also included a fee for the last creation. Next pair will be cheaper if FX rates hold steady.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:07 AM   #3289
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok, here they are...

Great Deal Wes, Congrats!!

Nice looking shoes.

As far as flaws on seconds go for John Lobb, Edward Green, and shoemakers in the top tier I often hear that's the case. The fact that people are unable to detect any flaws.

A bit odd about that shoe tree issue but I wonder if that may have to do something with these being seconds.

But your sure your trying to insert the trees correctly? I mean most of mine the trees need to be canted a bit and turned to get the tree in the shoe.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2018, 01:12 AM   #3290
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think your confusing MTO - Made To Order with Bespoke.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2018, 03:09 AM   #3291
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great Deal Wes, Congrats!!

Nice looking shoes.

As far as flaws on seconds go for John Lobb, Edward Green, and shoemakers in the top tier I often hear that's the case. The fact that people are unable to detect any flaws.

A bit odd about that shoe tree issue but I wonder if that may have to do something with these being seconds.

But your sure your trying to insert the trees correctly? I mean most of mine the trees need to be canted a bit and turned to get the tree in the shoe.
Thank you, Dan. And yes, I think you're right. If these shoemakers made a pair of shoes that were so flawed that it was obvious to spot the flaw, they'd probably destroy them, not sell them as seconds.

I just tried putting in the trees again and I did manage to get them to fit. I think the problem was that I didn't loosen the laces enough the first time. It's still a very snug fit, but now that I think about it, getting the trees into my Chambords was also very tough initially. Once the leather breaks in, it should be much better.

Quote:
I think your confusing MTO - Made To Order with Bespoke.
Ooof, yup. Total brain fart on my part. Mr. Speed got me thinking about the well done steaks and that really threw me off.

TexasMade is correct. I think for MTO, JLP charges a nominal fee. Bespoke is a whole different beast.
Old 21 October 2018, 03:39 AM   #3292
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you, Dan. And yes, I think you're right. If these shoemakers made a pair of shoes that were so flawed that it was obvious to spot the flaw, they'd probably destroy them, not sell them as seconds.

I just tried putting in the trees again and I did manage to get them to fit. I think the problem was that I didn't loosen the laces enough the first time. It's still a very snug fit, but now that I think about it, getting the trees into my Chambords was also very tough initially. Once the leather breaks in, it should be much better.

Ooof, yup. Total brain fart on my part. Mr. Speed got me thinking about the well done steaks and that really threw me off.

TexasMade is correct. I think for MTO, JLP charges a nominal fee. Bespoke is a whole different beast.
Wes, all of my Lasted or Semi Lasted (Trees for very similar Lasts)) Shoe Trees are extremely snug. They are made to be so.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2018, 03:15 PM   #3293
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry about the steak comment...at least you got my joke.
Old 22 October 2018, 03:16 AM   #3294
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Question: I find myself in possesion of a pair of C&J Chertsey chukkas, they are shiny and the leather feels much different from my other shoes. I wonder if this is cordovan, if so, should there be any special marking?
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:53 AM   #3295
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capote View Post
Question: I find myself in possesion of a pair of C&J Chertsey chukkas, they are shiny and the leather feels much different from my other shoes. I wonder if this is cordovan, if so, should there be any special marking?
Not necessarily.

However very easy to tell when looking at how the leather rolls vs creasing. Post a picture and we”ll probably be able to tell

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 22 October 2018, 05:14 AM   #3296
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

You have to be into shoes if you live in my hometown ..

Northampton, England. The home of many great English shoemakers .. Churches, Grenson, Barkers, Joseph Cheaney, Trickers .... many more
They all have factory shops within a few miles. Have lots of brogue boots & shoes in different colours.Some I've never worn just get them out to look at from time to time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6164.jpg (44.8 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3211.jpg (16.7 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3282.jpg (13.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3215.jpg (44.9 KB, 207 views)
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 06:00 AM   #3297
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
Northampton, England. The home of many great English shoemakers .. Churches, Grenson, Barkers, Joseph Cheaney, Trickers .... many more

They all have factory shops within a few miles. Have lots of brogue boots & shoes in different colours.Some I've never worn just get them out to look at from time to time

Nice images with the Pam!

Was the first shot taken in a shop - or in your closet?
Old 22 October 2018, 07:15 AM   #3298
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice images with the Pam!

Was the first shot taken in a shop - or in your closet?
...Just a couple of really old pics that were on my pc & relevant ..

Not my closet ! ... just a local factory shop 'Barkers'
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:27 AM   #3299
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelUK View Post
...Just a couple of really old pics that were on my pc & relevant ..

Not my closet ! ... just a local factory shop 'Barkers'

I see.

If it were the former, you’d rival Imelda Marcos or Kim Kardashian
Old 25 October 2018, 02:04 AM   #3300
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Not necessarily.

However very easy to tell when looking at how the leather rolls vs creasing. Post a picture and we”ll probably be able to tell
Sorry about the crappy photo quality, and I haven't had a chance to refinish them. Anyway, I went to a C&J AD and showed them the boot, the guy did not think it was cordovan but patent leather, because they were made for Paul Smith.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3AD4FAEE-EABC-4182-9E02-27E2C4941583-1 - kopia.jpeg (102.4 KB, 426 views)
capote is offline   Reply With Quote