The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 6 October 2018, 05:28 AM   #1
eb641
"TRF" Member

steinhart watches

Anyone know about the quality of Steinhart watches? They offer an homage of the Rolex Milsub 5513/5517 . I thought I might save 100K or so..LOL
eb641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 05:44 AM   #2
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Just sold a DeBaufre GMT/Sub which is a Steinhart imported for the USA.
SteinHart are fine mechanical watches using 316 L steel and
ETA movements. Very nice watch for the money...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 06:35 AM   #3
Cryten
"TRF" Member

For the money, they're actually pretty good watches. The fact that they blatantly rip of Rolex designs is a big turn off, but the quality is actually pretty good.

The bracelets are awful and you're probably used to much better, but when you factor in the price they aren't too bad.

The only real drawback with Steinhart is the embarrassment you'll feel if a fellow WIS notices it and mistakes it for a Rolex. The ensuing conversation probably isn't one you'd enjoy.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 October 2018, 12:43 PM   #4
HOHO
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
For the money, they're actually pretty good watches. The fact that they blatantly rip of Rolex designs is a big turn off, but the quality is actually pretty good.

The bracelets are awful and you're probably used to much better, but when you factor in the price they aren't too bad.

The only real drawback with Steinhart is the embarrassment you'll feel if a fellow WIS notices it and mistakes it for a Rolex. The ensuing conversation probably isn't one you'd enjoy.

On the positive side....
You can use the extra $10K still in your pocket to dry the tears of embarrassment!
HOHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 02:57 AM   #5
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

They make fun watches. Well built and with reliable movements. I especially like the ones inspired by models that were discontinued many decades ago and that would cost much more than I'd be willing to pay just for the design (v.g. 5517).

If you feel like trying one, I say go for it. Worst case scenario is you will loose a couple hundred bucks in the flip.
KBM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 October 2018, 05:50 AM   #6
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
I own three. They are fun and well built watches. I wear mine when I do rough work and gardening etc. You can't deny the good value for the money.
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:42 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I own the GMT Ocean and it’s been a workhorse. I use it occasionally for travel and times when I don’t want to wear anything too expensive/delicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 01:58 AM   #8
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
I have the mil-sub 42mm homage and could give a crap what anyone thinks...it looks great and wears great on a nato...I don’t care for the Steinhart bracelets...and for the “WIS” who looks down on me I don’t care about that either. I have my ‘68 5513, ‘74 Tudor Snowflake and new ETA Black Bay Blue, and a newer Omega speedmaster moonwatch. They are all for me to enjoy and anyone else who cares to appreciate them.

The Steinhart gives me a cool looking, durable watch that I can wear for any occasion especially hard training or hard labor. It also reminds me of a limited time where I needed to sell my collection of higher end watches for the family.

Oh, and I have the Steinhart chrono that looks like the vintage Daytona that my 10 year old son wears and he loves it as much as the 2 CWCs I gave him and the g-shock...and he loves the watches I wear, too. So no snobbery in my house.
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2018, 03:09 PM   #9
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Try Squale. They have a 1545 Militare that I just bought. You can see the review in the non rolex section of reviews. Go to www.gnomonwatches.com

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2018, 12:58 PM   #10
AirborneSFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I bought the Ocean 39 to test the feel and look of a Submariner before I bought mine. Honestly not a bad watch at all for the money. I ended up giving mine to my wife as she digs 36mm to 39mm watches. She has other luxury watches but wears it (the Steinhart) all the time.
AirborneSFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2018, 10:26 AM   #11
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Check out Bernhardt watches.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote