The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 October 2018, 05:46 PM   #121
Linzjnr
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: My bank balance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
Please dont let the new Rolex policies upset you
They are only meant to deter flippers who make these watches needlessly more expensive
Congrats on your beautiful new watch
True but there is still no excuse for rude arrogant behaviour, all of the same things could have happened but with the opposite attitude (and more gratitude!).

Enjoy your new watch
Old 16 October 2018, 05:51 PM   #122
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzjnr View Post
True but there is still no excuse for rude arrogant behaviour, all of the same things could have happened but with the opposite attitude (and more gratitude!).

Enjoy your new watch
i agree. That chain in particular i have never been treated nicely (in the Rolex section).

Ive told the story before, but last year i went to try on demo models on bond street. They invited me, well at least i got a postcard in the mail saying i can come. I showed up before the event ended and in plenty of time. Watches were being packed up and they said i couldn't try them on. I pushed back and they basically said it doesnt matter as i wont be able to get one anyway.

I always go back though to try on watches there with my other "hard to get" watches on... makes me feel better at least
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:52 PM   #123
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
I just dont see how keeping the warranty deters flippers. There will just be a new trend with Gray's stating warranty will arrive in X months etc. Really lame policy tbh. Congrats on the watch OP!
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:55 PM   #124
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Whilst I sympathise with anyone that doesn’t get an A1 experience when making a special purchase, there needs to be some managing of expectations.

Firstly, I’m all for any measures that prevent flippers and most on here are critical of the grey market prices and limited availability of popular models, and as such I assume most on here are supportive of the measures that Rolex have put in place.

The coffin is for transportation purposes and nowhere does it state that a travel case is included with the purchase. It mate be that it used to be on offer, but that is not the same as being entitled to it.

The stickers are there to protect the watch during transportation and storage, there is no good reason to want them left on. Personally, whilst i used to find it quite enjoyable taking off the stickers (and always finding one several months later), I have not had an issue in recent times when my AD has taken them off.

As for the warrantee card, this doesn’t actually impact the warranty or stop you selling the watch, so who cares? All it means, is that if you sell the watch and the buyer then needs the warranty card for a repair, the shop will know that you’ve flipped the watch and that will inform them as to whether or not they want to do business with you on high demand items again in the future. Crikey, for most products these days, you don’t get a physical warrantee and actually have to register online in order for any warrantee to be valid.

It is a shame that you didn’t enjoy the experience, but personally I can’t see anything wrong with anything that has happened, other than perhaps the AD didn’t explain it all in the right way.

Just my opinion of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:55 PM   #125
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I just dont see how keeping the warranty deters flippers. There will just be a new trend with Gray's stating warranty will arrive in X months etc. Really lame policy tbh. Congrats on the watch OP!
its a hassle and its confusion... maybe thats enough. Disruption and making it a hassle is a win even if it doesnt stop it. Why make it easy?
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 16 October 2018, 06:06 PM   #126
Twisted Vicar
"TRF" Member

Unless you have been living under a rock for the previous 12 months, you would have been well aware this was going to happen and prepared yourself for it.

That IS the buying experience now, and should be factored into any purchase.

You have the watch, just enjoy it.
Twisted Vicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:08 PM   #127
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
Jesus people! He wasn’t refused the green Rolex box! His AD simply didn’t give him the clear shipping “coffin” upon request. This isn’t a “box AND papers” issue...only the papers have been withheld.

Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:12 PM   #128
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
be glad you got a BLNR......i couldn't buy a BLNR here in asia due to bundle purchase (a low demand watch on top) and waiting list, and ended up getting my first Panerai instead~
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:13 PM   #129
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
its a hassle and its confusion... maybe thats enough. Disruption and making it a hassle is a win even if it doesnt stop it. Why make it easy?

It also gives the AD (and Rolex) a chance to track flipper activity which may inform future decisions about who they sell to.

For instance...I recently bought a BLRO. If my AD hadn’t given me the warrantee card and I’d then sold it making a tidy profit, and the new owner then had a problem so contacted my AD for the warrantee card, my AD would be unlikely to allow me to be first on the list for a high-demand piece in the future.

I may be wrong as I don’t have any insight, but it is my logical conclusion.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 16 October 2018, 06:16 PM   #130
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
It also gives the AD (and Rolex) a chance to track flipper activity which may inform future decisions about who they sell to.

For instance...I recently bought a BLRO. If my AD hadn’t given me the warrantee card and I’d then sold it making a tidy profit, and the new owner then had a problem so contacted my AD for the warrantee card, my AD would be unlikely to allow me to be first on the list for a high-demand piece in the future.

I may be wrong as I don’t have any insight, but it is my logical conclusion.

ill never excuse the poor attitude but to me i dont understand the problem

People complain about flippers, they complain about AD's selling to grey dealers, they complain about waitlists.... then an AD does something in an attempt to stop or slow down the source of the dissatisfaction and get made to look like they are the bad guy here.

An AD solution isnt to make more watches, thats Rolex not the AD. The AD is managing a situation that has nothing to do with them and people hate them either way.

At least its not a bundle purchase requirement. Thats more greedy than proactive IMO
Old 16 October 2018, 06:21 PM   #131
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
ill never excuse the poor attitude but to me i dont understand the problem

People complain about flippers, they complain about AD's selling to grey dealers, they complain about waitlists.... then an AD does something in an attempt to stop or slow down the source of the dissatisfaction and get made to look like they are the bad guy here.

An AD solution isnt to make more watches, thats Rolex not the AD. The AD is managing a situation that has nothing to do with them and people hate them either way.

At least its not a bundle purchase requirement. Thats more greedy than proactive IMO

Agree. No excuse for poor attitude and a good AD will make the experience great for most customers. Some though, will always find a way to find fault.

Old 16 October 2018, 06:59 PM   #132
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
Yes, I agree with you. You have paid for everything including the warranty card. Unless it says it in the T&C's when you paid, this part is important -then if not, it is yours, not theirs to retain. Ask for the return of your property or report it to the Police. That would be interesting what would happen next as it is your property Not theirs ?. If you agree they can retain it, then offer that if they want to hold onto it there is a retaining rental cost you will charge at £200.00 per month which is payable now. It is yours, they have the choice to decide. Get in trouble, pay a rental for holding it or just give it back now.
This would be interesting to see unfold.
The police would, correctly, laugh at you and tell you to stop wasting their time.

There is nothing, anywhere, that says you are buying the plastic card or that the plastic card is "your" property.

I know its not great, but its a sign of the times.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:11 PM   #133
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhren917 View Post
There is NO store code on the plastic coffin!! It is a generic box!
In the UK the store code, along with all of the watch details are written on the side of the shipping coffin. Both of mine have it.

Old 16 October 2018, 07:17 PM   #134
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Icon11

Psst, "Hey Buddy want to make a few hundred bucks?"

Wait for 2 years and I'll sell you this watch that you might be able to turn around and sell again for profit...

I really would have told him that unless you give me my warranty card this deal is finished...

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:19 PM   #135
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i dont need my warranty card particularly. Should i just sell it? I have a BLRO one

Bezel protector as well... im sure we can piece together a full set somehow.

Ill trade a bezel protector and a pile of somewhat sticky stickers for a coffin.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:19 PM   #136
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
At the very least he could have said, would you like to remove your own stickers here??

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:24 PM   #137
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrummyJames View Post
I managed to bag a BLNR today having been on a ‘list’ for 2 years. The experience of buying the watch was pretty awful. I dared to ask if I could have the plastic box the watch came in. I was told the companies policy was not to allow me the box. Apparently if I sold it on eBay and photographed the box with the store code they would get in trouble.

My watch was taken out the back where the manager removed all of the stickers, the warranty card was then removed and photocopied never to be seen again (I have to pick it up in 12 months). I had just paid £6850 of my hard earned cash to be treated with contempt. I have no intention of selling MY watch, however if I did it has nothing to do with the dealer!

The current Rolex situation is wrong on so many levels.

Apologies for venting, I just thought I’d share the current UK dealer experience.
Sorry you had a poor experience. Look on the bright side and consider the fact that you now have a very sought after watch which you will enjoy for years to come.

The plastic shipping 'coffins' are not a big deal. Plenty available on fleabay should you decide its a 'must have' item.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:27 PM   #138
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps3b View Post
I’m politely asking. I’m not being sarcastic. Doesn’t “box and papers” add value to these watches when sold 2nd hand? I would never walk out of any watch store without proper documentation and packaging. Even me, who doesn’t typically sell my watches expects the box that the watch comes in
The OP did get the box, and received everything Rolex SA intended him to receive.

Which is, specifically and without any dispute:

1) The watch itself
2) The presentation box
3) A five year registered Rolex warranty

The plastic card itself was retained by the AD as part of Aurum Group wide policy. As has been discussed on here ad nauseum, this may only cause a problem for serial flippers. Not genuine buyers. Aurum is not going bust any time soon. Nor are they likely to "lose" your card.

After 12 months (probably less) you will have the "full set" as intended by Rolex.

Rolex themselves have recommended sticker removal at the point of sale. Letters from Rolex to ADs have been posted on here confirming this.

As has been posted above, the shipping coffin, bezel protector, etc are not part of what you are sold, and the vast majority of less obsessed purchasers probably don't even know that they exist, far less would be upset not to receive them.

Card aside, those of us being upset at not receiving those items we are not supposed to get anyway are the odd ones out. The minority. Not the other way around.

To the OP, It's a shame you didn't get what you had hoped for, but your expectations may not have been appropriately managed by both the staff and yourself. Enjoy what is a very hard to acquire watch. You will soon forget all about the items you didn't receive, as you focus on what you did.

Old 16 October 2018, 07:28 PM   #139
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousMaximus View Post
Psst, "Hey Buddy want to make a few hundred bucks?"

Wait for 2 years and I'll sell you this watch that you might be able to turn around and sell again for profit...

I really would have told him that unless you give me my warranty card this deal is finished...
And you'd be waiting another two years for your watch Sam. Or paying way more on the grey market. And possibly not having a warrantied watch.

How does that work out for you?

Old 16 October 2018, 08:49 PM   #140
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
I Personally i find it annoying and believe Rolex should try to compensate its customers in some way like Rolex gifts being furnished together with the delivery of the watch, or providing you an option to buy any watch of your preference that so far you have not bought within a certain time frame etc. This will somewhat compensate the negative feeling of Rolex customers.
ADs have to buy the gifts from Rolex, they are not given, so that ain't gonna be happening no more in this seller's paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB01 View Post
I think rolex needs to pull their head out, just another reason why I stopped buying their watches for now. They have the money to churn out more but they don’t becaue they want to play the exclusiveity game and just to spend your hard earned money they make you jump hoops with fake waiting lists etc. “oh but mr AD sir I have 120k I want to buy some watches for my family and friends today” “no worries sir I have your BLNR out the back it just magically appeared from our friendly rolex genie”

I think Rolex is turning many people off at the moment, prettys sad really for such an iconic brand with a great history.
Yes Rolex is turning many people off the brand and that is what they want to do now as they want to cut thru all the excess demand to get to genuine and easy buyers, they don't want flippers or difficult, manipulative law warriors. Furthermore you annoy an AD too much and you'll be blacklisted and probably with the whole Rolex SA outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
It will as it looks like the warranty card will only be given to the original buyer after the 1 year period in person, so unless you have access to that guy when the 1 year time is up, then you have no warranty at all, and certainly no warranty for that 1 year period at RSC unless again the original buyer goes with you or gives you some credible ID of his and pretends it's his watch.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 08:57 PM   #141
jezza17
"TRF" Member

Watch: DRSD
A lot of stores are doing this so no sweat. Same thing happened to me last week when I picked up my Tudor gmt. So long as you don’t want to sell it, then enjoy the watch. I understand this experience can dull the excitement but at least you have a superb timepiece now.
jezza17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:08 PM   #142
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Let's be honest it hasn't stopped the flippers, already saw a great in the UK that's selling watches with paper work to follow in 12 months
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:14 PM   #143
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Vicar View Post
Unless you have been living under a rock for the previous 12 months, you would have been well aware this was going to happen and prepared yourself for it.

That IS the buying experience now, and should be factored into any purchase.

You have the watch, just enjoy it.
This pretty much sums up the tone of many on this thread that “he should count his lucky stars and shut his pie hole” - amazing to take a step back and consider that he’s just spent a considerable sum on a watch and can at least expect some courtesy. You have to put yourself in the shoes of a new customer to Rolex; they’d very likely feel that their money can be better spent elsewhere. Only us here obssess over the shortage...and seem willing to take being treated like 3rd class Titanic passengers in the process.
JonaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:16 PM   #144
agentsmith350
"TRF" Member

Terrible experience ? come on man.

Try spending 10k, no refreshments and being hurriedly shunned out the door as they closed
agentsmith350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:20 PM   #145
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Buy a Rolex spend the best part of 10k and be honoured the AD took your money
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 09:43 PM   #146
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
This pretty much sums up the tone of many on this thread that “he should count his lucky stars and shut his pie hole” - amazing to take a step back and consider that he’s just spent a considerable sum on a watch and can at least expect some courtesy. You have to put yourself in the shoes of a new customer to Rolex; they’d very likely feel that their money can be better spent elsewhere. Only us here obssess over the shortage...and seem willing to take being treated like 3rd class Titanic passengers in the process.
i get that... but really just walk away then. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. My issue is both with the poor attitude of the store AND the lack of a principled stand generally. Its a cop out to buy the watch anyway if in fact it is a major issue for you.

Principles mean nothing if when its your turn to stand up, you dont. How many people sit on these treads and say "i would refuse to buy if they kept the card"? Then to be treated poorly on top of it... When its their turn, they will still buy it anyway. Accepting the status quo ensures it remains the status quo and buying a watch with those conditions is acceptance.

I cant wait for the thread when someone refuses delivery of a Daytona they have been waiting 2 years for on principle.
Old 16 October 2018, 10:21 PM   #147
BrummyJames
"TRF" Member

I am a man of principles. What would you have done?
BrummyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 10:23 PM   #148
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
im referring to all these kinds of threads... it comes up a lot. Not directed at you specifically. Also to the comments where lots of people say they would walk away, but probably wouldn't. Then there is the call the police comments and the sue them comments.

If it was an issue for me i would walk away.

Full disclosure. I turned down a trip to the AP manufacture (well they stood me up the first time, so i refused the make up trip) and sold off 3 of my 4 AP's because i was treated poorly. Cant sell the last one because i bought it when one of my sons were born so im stuck with that one... but im not OK with being slighted and i actually did something about it. I didn't go on the trip anyway. And i will never buy another one, ever. Does AP care? no... but i care how accepting what happened and still being a customer makes me look. I dont want to be part of the problem even if i cant fix the problem by myself. I tend to see things very black and white though and there isnt much middle ground with me when im a customer somewhere as its either right or wrong.

My issue was when dealing with the brand directly so it tarnished the image of the brand for me... in your case its an AD so im not saying sell your Rolex in protest as Rolex didn't do anything to you. I absolutely would never buy from that AD again though. Don't reward something that wasn't OK with you.
Old 16 October 2018, 10:31 PM   #149
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi James,

I appreciate that you didn't get your watch with the stickers on and the plastic card, but were the sales people courteous?

Were they rude and discourteous or was it simply that they said no to the shipping container that upset you?

And did you know in advance that the stickers would be removed and the plastic card retained?

Old 16 October 2018, 10:39 PM   #150
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Hi James,

I appreciate that you didn't get your watch with the stickers on and the plastic card, but were the sales people courteous?

Were they rude and discourteous or was it simply that they said no to the shipping container that upset you?

And did you know in advance that the stickers would be removed and the plastic card retained?
Any forum reader would know.

Someone who just walked in off the street probably wouldn't expect this.
amh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116710blnr , united kingdom