The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2018, 03:04 AM   #1
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Future collectability of ceramic models (deep black etc)

I personally LOVE them. Especially the deep black. Im having an internal struggle currently about purchasing the deep black OR the new 126660 deep sea. Although thats a different topic altogether . With that said it got me thinking about future collectability. Im thinking say at least 10yrs down the road. Where rolex is at least almost predictable with what certain watches will fetch due to demand and price increases etc. It just got me thinking. Is the ceramic “thing” going to be a fad? (Doubt it) Will the market look back and think geez who would wear that? OR will it be WOW I cant wait to buy a 10yr old ceramic deep black?

Just curious what y’all think.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 09:27 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Far to many made to be collectible
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 10:50 PM   #3
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Far to many made to be collectible
Just like all the 5 digit Rolex sports models, way to many produced to be collectible.
Old 18 July 2018, 09:12 AM   #4
WJGESQ
Banned

I still don't follow why anyone would go w ceramic case when it could crack. Just not aware of any advantages to a ceramic case.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2018, 12:25 PM   #5
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smstr 600m BigBlue
I get your question, but I just can't answer it. For me anyway, I purchase a watch because I like it.. how it looks, how it's made, function, etc. Yes, they can be fairly pricey, but if one looks at as something they plan to keep, what does "future" value matter?

I guess, sure, it does make one feel better knowing that piece is of some value, but is that a reason for a purchase? I understand it is for some, especially when one plans to sell it down the road. But again, I have no interest in selling my piece, so I don't really put much stock in it being a collectible. I guess I figure that there are just too many of them out there to matter from a collector's perspective.

Still, I do respect the opinion of those that have this as an issue. And in that case, I think that for most, it's hard to know what future value a watch may have.

Should be interesting topic to follow though.
Old 19 July 2018, 07:54 AM   #6
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
I still don't follow why anyone would go w ceramic case when it could crack. Just not aware of any advantages to a ceramic case.
Scratch resistance. How many cracked cases have we actually seen? To me, it’s the same few examples over and over again. Which really does saying something given the amount of ceramic watches out there.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 10:52 AM   #7
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwinGV View Post
I get your question, but I just can't answer it. For me anyway, I purchase a watch because I like it.. how it looks, how it's made, function, etc. Yes, they can be fairly pricey, but if one looks at as something they plan to keep, what does "future" value matter?

I guess, sure, it does make one feel better knowing that piece is of some value, but is that a reason for a purchase? I understand it is for some, especially when one plans to sell it down the road. But again, I have no interest in selling my piece, so I don't really put much stock in it being a collectible. I guess I figure that there are just too many of them out there to matter from a collector's perspective.

Still, I do respect the opinion of those that have this as an issue. And in that case, I think that for most, it's hard to know what future value a watch may have.

Should be interesting topic to follow though.
Im the same way, I dont buy one based on resale per say BUT there are some makes and models out there you would be better off throwing your cash in a burn pile lol
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 12:19 PM   #8
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
Im the same way, I dont buy one based on resale per say BUT there are some makes and models out there you would be better off throwing your cash in a burn pile lol
Yea, I can't argue with that. But if I own one of those.. I sure don't want to know about it.
I do understand that not all watches are not created (or more importantly VALUED) equally. The key is to control ones emotions to not pull the wrong trigger.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:41 PM   #9
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

collectability should not be a consideration, but if it is, then definitely don't look at these... DSOTM, which could have been the hottest Omega in history, now selling for 50% MSRP...

too many variations, too many made, too many on the "reduced for quick sale"/"blow out clearance event" shelf...

They are beautiful, awesome, great watches, and I would have jumpedd at the deep black if I hadn't already blown my ceramic load on the DS and GS...

if you love it - pick it up grey and enjoy the hell out of it... but don't expect it to be a collectors item..
Old 19 July 2018, 06:52 PM   #10
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Its a production Omega....'nuff said.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:27 PM   #11
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
Scratch resistance. How many cracked cases have we actually seen? To me, it’s the same few examples over and over again. Which really does saying something given the amount of ceramic watches out there.
Funny--I've scratched bezels--but never dinged a case.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 11:48 PM   #12
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
collectability should not be a consideration, but if it is, then definitely don't look at these... DSOTM, which could have been the hottest Omega in history, now selling for 50% MSRP...

too many variations, too many made, too many on the "reduced for quick sale"/"blow out clearance event" shelf...

They are beautiful, awesome, great watches, and I would have jumpedd at the deep black if I hadn't already blown my ceramic load on the DS and GS...

if you love it - pick it up grey and enjoy the hell out of it... but don't expect it to be a collectors item..
Nice to see you posting R.J.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 09:07 AM   #13
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
If you want collectible buy a TinTin. Less than 1500 made. Doubled in price over the last 2 months.
Polarbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 11:32 AM   #14
RedwinGV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Funny--I've scratched bezels--but never dinged a case.
I admittedly don't baby my watches, but none of mine have pristine cases... except for my ceramic Big Blue. And, oddly enough, my black Citizen looks pretty good with a naked eye.. The Aqua Terra has/had some minimal scratches, but I've been able to work them out... at least to the naked eye.