The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 31 May 2018, 12:26 AM   #31
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwalker View Post
X2! The depreciation is huge. But I always prefer buying new - even though I got my mine in what I considered a good trade at the time. I think if you can score 30/35 percent off and not pay taxes or have taxes refunded to you - depending on the part of the world in which you are than that’s a pretty good deal to because you get it covered with warranty and have a watch that is new to you.

(Fleetlord - your input and comments in helping make that decision is much appreciated and I have no regrets, because I still do love the 389 and I really do prefer it to the 116610, way more compliments too.)
You're welcome. Glad you like the watch...it's super cool.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 01:22 PM   #32
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
X2! The depreciation is huge. But I always prefer buying new - even though I got my mine in what I considered a good trade at the time. I think if you can score 30/35 percent off and not pay taxes or have taxes refunded to you - depending on the part of the world in which you are than that’s a pretty good deal to because you get it covered with warranty and have a watch that is new to you.

(Fleetlord - your input and comments in helping make that decision is much appreciated and I have no regrets, because I still do love the 389 and I really do prefer it to the 116610, way more compliments too.)
By 30-35% off, I take it you mean grey market, correct?

I haven't found any AD that will do more than 20% off ......
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 01:28 PM   #33
Starwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona - BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
By 30-35% off, I take it you mean grey market, correct?

I haven't found any AD that will do more than 20% off ......

Depends on the part of world you are in. In Europe for example, if you can get 15/20 percent off and then claim an additional 15 percent in VAT refund, then you are look at a minimum on 30 percent. In Asia, you might be able to swing 20-30 percent off list and then claim the tax back. So it adds up. A lot of the grey dealers in Asia have this business model. Buy in bulk from Europe, get 20/30 percent off and then they get the full VAT of 18/20 percent. They keep a 5-15 percent spread depending on the watch and their overheads, and sell it to you at 25-35 percent off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2018, 02:21 PM   #34
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Depends on the part of world you are in. In Europe for example, if you can get 15/20 percent off and then claim an additional 15 percent in VAT refund, then you are look at a minimum on 30 percent. In Asia, you might be able to swing 20-30 percent off list and then claim the tax back. So it adds up. A lot of the grey dealers in Asia have this business model. Buy in bulk from Europe, get 20/30 percent off and then they get the full VAT of 18/20 percent. They keep a 5-15 percent spread depending on the watch and their overheads, and sell it to you at 25-35 percent off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting.
I was referring the U.S., and that 20% I mentioned didn't include the additional savings of not paying sales tax by purchasing out of state.
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2018, 04:14 PM   #35
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

I bought my from grey dealer, it came to about 29 % discount and I saved on taxes as the watch was shipped from out of state. It is 561, white dial with 8 days power reserve in-house movement, my only Panerai, and I love that watch.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2018, 01:20 PM   #36
webprotege
"TRF" Member

1838.JPG
Love the designs and the general wearability but hate the depreciation. Bought a 183 in the islands two years ago. Offered 15% at first mention of interest to strap it on, agreed on 20% plus a deployant strap. Those buckles are crazy money so glad it was comp'd.
webprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:24 AM   #37
Big Green
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/116500LN/APRO
I bought my 356 from a very reputable AD of all watches except Panerai, and now are a Panerai AD. They took it in on a trade. I paid them 6k. It was a 10k watch. This was 5 years ago and the watch was less than 2 years old. So.... I’d go used/grey all day, without it being a boutique edition. I do love the 688... but I’ll be waiting to buy used.

Of the brands I own, the service of Panerai is hands down the most over rated, over priced, and most atrocious. But damn do I love the look!
Big Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 02:30 AM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Well I'm always a bit of an outlier

I paid OVER retail for my one and only Panerai and this through a trusted seller. What's that make me?

Who cares ... I love the watch.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2018, 10:58 AM   #39
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
And in the end, that is ALL that matters

Cheers,
Joe
Old 21 June 2018, 12:21 PM   #40
oldsalt
"TRF" Member

Watch: ?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
And in the end, that is ALL that matters

Cheers,
Joe
Ditto....enjoy what you have on your wrist...

cheers
Old 21 June 2018, 09:30 PM   #41
doctorstrange
Banned

bought a pam 524 from a AD on March and got 20% discount.
doctorstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 06:57 AM   #42
Faustomiami
"TRF" Member

Anyone go to a Panerai boutique?? Are they more willing to give better discounts than just an AD? So 20-30% discount is doable?
Faustomiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:12 AM   #43
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
it really depends on reference. don't expect a discount at boutique. AD should be able to get a 10-20 depending on model number
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 10:43 AM   #44
Bushido
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustomiami View Post
Anyone go to a Panerai boutique?? Are they more willing to give better discounts than just an AD? So 20-30% discount is doable?
As a general rule, you will get better discount opportunities at an AD. Boutiques may offer a small discount depending on model but typically nothing substantial.
Bushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:02 PM   #45
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Uh-oh.

I apologize for my late response to your profanity filled tirade. I try to keep up with everything, but sometimes things slip.

I don't have any beef with Panerai...but it appears you have a beef with me, so that warrants a response I suppose.

The two Panerai (pictrued below) that I own have a combined retail of $18,300.00

I didn't pay anywhere near that for them. Why? Not because I couldn't...but because It isn't sensible.

Others have stated support for my opinion on this thread, so I'm not alone. Maybe 10yrs ago things were different, but Panerai bungled their brand and it's become a $h$%$er in terms of brand value.

I still like 'em and I hope they get it together.
I guess I owe you an apology for a late response for similar reasons as yours.

My use of the word 'bullshit', which was the only cuss, does not render my post a "profanity filled tirade". One word in how many?

I have no beef with you personally but what I do take issue with is your constant bashing of Panerai. In the Rolex forum itself, you've written a lot of sense and some pretty good points. If you look back, you'll find one or two threads where I've agreed with you.

Just because others have stated support for your opinion does not make you correct in your assertions. You initially stated that buying a brand new Panerai is a great way to lose a lot of money. If I buy a brand new (normal production) PAM, something like, say, a 1312, with the intention of moving it on in 12 months then yes, I'm going to lose quite a bit. Fair point. However, as per my "profanity filled tirade", if I buy that same watch to wear until I get the visit from Mr. G. Reaper, then who cares how much my watch is worth? Like I said previously, future value is only an issue if you're a serial flipper or you buy as an investment.

I had a discount on one of mine and paid retail on the other two. The two I paid retail on are boutique exclusive LEs, something else you're not a fan of, I know. However, I've had five straps, a couple of buckles including a deployant clasp, and personal service that I've never experienced anywhere else.

If I lived in the US like you and had access to Trusted Sellers then I might adopt your approach. But I don't and I can't. However, if I add any more to my collection, I might well consider the LNIB options. After all, I leave Singapore in a few weeks and repatriate back to the UK where I have a 25% pay cut and 200% increase in tax to look forward to, so I guess I won't have much of a choice.

Two nice PAMs you have there, BTW

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:03 PM   #46
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Generally speaking, you won't get anywhere near the discounts at a boutique that you can achieve at an AD. I prefer the boutique because I get treated like royalty there and that's worth more to me than saving a few hundred bucks.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:19 PM   #47
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Generally speaking, you won't get anywhere near the discounts at a boutique that you can achieve at an AD. I prefer the boutique because I get treated like royalty there and that's worth more to me than saving a few hundred bucks.
^^^^this all day

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 12:43 PM   #48
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Well I'm always a bit of an outlier

I paid OVER retail for my one and only Panerai and this through a trusted seller. What's that make me?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Good for you, I think if you really like something then buy it. Life is too short to over analyze luxury purchases. Great looking watch, a real beauty!
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 03:38 PM   #49
solrac6262
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you are not going to get any discount at any brand Boutique this days, personal experience with Rolex, AP, Panerai,Hublot maybe other brands, if you find an AD and with the model you are looking for and that model is one that moves fast you probably are looking to get something around 13% if they want to give you a discount, seems to me you don't have any AD relationship, not even jomashop or those weird internet sites offer 20-30% I was able to get a discount, not so great and I bought before from that same AD a Rolex sub and a 005
GL
solrac6262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2018, 04:13 PM   #50
Faustomiami
"TRF" Member

I don't have boutique experience, all my pieces have been grey or AD from Mayors and Tourneau.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solrac6262 View Post
you are not going to get any discount at any brand Boutique this days, personal experience with Rolex, AP, Panerai,Hublot maybe other brands, if you find an AD and with the model you are looking for and that model is one that moves fast you probably are looking to get something around 13% if they want to give you a discount, seems to me you don't have any AD relationship, not even jomashop or those weird internet sites offer 20-30% I was able to get a discount, not so great and I bought before from that same AD a Rolex sub and a 005
GL
Faustomiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 12:34 PM   #51
Seattlerf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167a
That would be TOO dangerous! 😂
Seattlerf is offline   Reply With Quote