The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 May 2018, 05:36 AM   #1
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Has anybody imported a car from Europe?

Hey all,

I’m wondering if any of you have ever imported a car from Europe and if so, how was your experience? Did you hit any snags that you didn’t take into consideration when you first thought about importing a car?

My understanding is that if the car is 25 years or older, it should be fairly simple to import?

Thanks,
Wes
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 02:25 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Yes Wes, I purchased my car while I was in Germany and brought it back to the States. Sorry, but it was while I was stationed overseas and purchased through AFEES so it’s not what your looking for but I couldn’t help myself. LOL

Good luck, hopefully somebody here has what you are looking for.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 02:38 PM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Oh, Wes!! What are you up to?

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 03:01 PM   #4
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
I'll take the M if you're looking for another car.
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Yes Wes, I purchased my car while I was in Germany and brought it back to the States. Sorry, but it was while I was stationed overseas and purchased through AFEES so it’s not what your looking for but I couldn’t help myself. LOL

Good luck, hopefully somebody here has what you are looking for.
What kind of car, Dan? Do you still have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Oh, Wes!! What are you up to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
I'll take the M if you're looking for another car.
The M5 is a weekend car. It's just too nice to daily drive!

I am looking for something to drive daily and being the car guy that I am, I can't help but look at vehicles that are as impractical as they are cool.

I should be looking into something like a Civic or Forester, but I cannot help myself...
Old 18 May 2018, 04:07 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Just get a E39 M5 as daily, would be a badass daily/weekend combo
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 06:15 PM   #7
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Interesting question given the USA is generally considered the cheapest car market in the world.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 09:39 PM   #8
christianj
Banned

Yes, but it was almost 30 years ago and other than getting the car I was not involved. (Long story but my dad lives in Germany and I lived in the US with my mother after the divorce. This was the first car he got me.)

Probably not much assistance but back then European models had very different government standards so things like the bumper, emissions and lights needed to be changed before the car could be imported. Today I would assume the standards are more closely aligned. Shipping was easy as it went on a boat in Bremerhafen in Germany and was sent to Houston.

Researching the requirements on specific models is likely easier today due to the internet. Good luck!
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 11:29 PM   #9
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Maybe ask Danny he knows a lot about shipping cars.
Old 18 May 2018, 11:47 PM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
What kind of car, Dan? Do you still have it?

The M5 is a weekend car. It's just too nice to daily drive!

I am looking for something to drive daily and being the car guy that I am, I can't help but look at vehicles that are as impractical as they are cool.

I should be looking into something like a Civic or Forester, but I cannot help myself...
Long gone and actually it was an American car in the first place.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2018, 11:56 PM   #11
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Dream machine, just like my daily e46 though it gets a bit expensive to keep in nice spec though.

The e39 M5 values are skyrocketing right now and I think they are nuts the prices being paid. Near my in laws house there is a guy who has one in the driveway and every time I pass it I gawk & dream. When its not there I get worried he sold it BUT what difference does it make if i'm not buying it. Grrrr!
Old 19 May 2018, 02:18 AM   #12
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by zama View Post
Interesting question given the USA is generally considered the cheapest car market in the world.
We don't get a lot of cars as our safety regulations are fairly strict (I know that might shocking). Hasn't been any Defenders sold her since 1992-ish.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:03 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
If you're looking for exotic maybe you could get a bearcat Wes or a laforza?
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:33 AM   #14
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
You should hire a customs broker google one. Very hard to do not worth the headache.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:36 AM   #15
Limestonedan
"TRF" Member

Yes, took Euro delivery of a new Audi. Took a little more time in US Port Customs when it arrived in R.I.
Limestonedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:42 AM   #16
Phrank

Watch: ♕
My old boss, the CIO, bought an M6 when they first came out, picked it up in Stuttgart if I recall correctly. He was a superb, accomplished driver in his own right.

His first 1,000km he said were terrible (he was laughing, tongue in cheek), being overtaken on the autobahn by Mom's in station wagons with 5 kids in the car because he had to stay at around 100 km an hour for the break in period.

After that, he said it was a gas, great fun. He hired a professional driver, hit the Nürburgring, and filmed himself breaking 200 mph, he filmed it all and wrote about it for an auto magazine. He also had a pace/scout car in front when he hit the Ring first thing in the morning and there wasn't many on the road.

It was years and years ago, but I remember parking beside him when he got back to Toronto with the car, and how excited he was and made sure to point out the Nürburgring decal he had on the back bumper of the M6.

Experience of a lifetime....

edit: Ha! I found the article from my old Boss....so here's a story about picking a car up in Germany, check it out:

https://motoringconbrio.com/2009/11/...ring-in-an-m6/
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 12:56 PM   #17
Laszlo

That's awesome.

Old 19 May 2018, 12:58 PM   #18
Laszlo

If I was ever to import, e30 M3 (or 325is), or go risky and get Alfa GTV6.

Old 19 May 2018, 01:04 PM   #19
Phrank

Watch: ♕
Quote:
That's awesome.

The CIO, Ronan, a mountain of a man, 6'6" 300 lb Irishman with hands that looked like they could crush ice, and the intellect of Spock, super nice guy.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 01:15 PM   #20
Laszlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post

The CIO, Ronan, a mountain of a man, 6'6" 300 lb Irishman with hands that looked like they could crush ice, and the intellect of Spock, super nice guy.
Sounds like a proper CIO.

That was a great M6 as well.

Old 19 May 2018, 04:56 PM   #21
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'd love an E39 M5. Nice ones are getting harder to find and the prices have been going up! I'd like something a bit different for my daily, maybe an SUV of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
We don't get a lot of cars as our safety regulations are fairly strict (I know that might shocking). Hasn't been any Defenders sold her since 1992-ish.
A Defender would be incredible. Awesome rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
You should hire a customs broker google one. Very hard to do not worth the headache.
Old 19 May 2018, 06:43 PM   #22
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey all,

I’m wondering if any of you have ever imported a car from Europe and if so, how was your experience? Did you hit any snags that you didn’t take into consideration when you first thought about importing a car?

My understanding is that if the car is 25 years or older, it should be fairly simple to import?

Thanks,
Wes
Yes any car that’s 25 years or older will be easy to import however if you want something newer it would have to be on the NHTSA list of approved vehicles. Even if it’s on this list it still needs modifications performed by an approved agency to ensure it complies with US safety and emissions specs.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 07:19 PM   #23
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

A Defender would be incredible. Awesome rigs!

If you go the defender route, the middle east is full of them in great condition. The old dribbly Defenders can be had in the UAE and Oman for a song.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:16 PM   #24
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
If you go the defender route, the middle east is full of them in great condition. The old dribbly Defenders can be had in the UAE and Oman for a song.
Don't they have to be from the mid-90s or older when importing them to the USA?
I thought that had something to do with the newer ones being too unsafe for a modern car, which would somehow not be a problem when getting an older one.
Old 20 May 2018, 02:09 AM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Don't they have to be from the mid-90s or older when importing them to the USA?
I thought that had something to do with the newer ones being too unsafe for a modern car, which would somehow not be a problem when getting an older one.
You see a lot of old 90's and 110's from the 80's, as well as original Land Rovers from earlier.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:22 AM   #26
Laszlo

Wes, why not get a US GTI, a '13 or '14 Autobahn. Decent prices out there, very high-quality product, gets 33 mpg on highway, and you can tinker and do some light mods to add more fun factor. Not sure if you've driven your dad's, but for a daily driver, I don't think there's anything out there that beats the GTI.

Old 20 May 2018, 03:02 AM   #27
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wes, why not get a US GTI, a '13 or '14 Autobahn. Decent prices out there, very high-quality product, gets 33 mpg on highway, and you can tinker and do some light mods to add more fun factor. Not sure if you've driven your dad's, but for a daily driver, I don't think there's anything out there that beats the GTI.
I agree, a GTI is a great DD. They’re surprisingly roomy given their size, quality is good and they get great mpg as you mentioned.

I have also been looking into Touaregs (US version) and I like the newest body style, but I like the engine offerings in the older ones (i.e., V8 and V10 TDI). I believe in other parts of the world, the latest Touaregs are offered with a V8, but they’d probably be poor sellers here since people have a hard time spending 80k on a VW. That’s part of the reason why they’re killing off the Touareg here in the states and replacing it with the ghastly Atlas.

I’ve test driven both of the latest Touaregs, the V6 and V6 TDI. Both drive pretty nice, but the extra TQ from the TDI is nice to have.

I’ve been on the lookout for a 2008-2010 Touareg V8 (the last of the V8s for the states), but they’re hard to find unless you don’t mind one with 200k miles.
Old 20 May 2018, 04:27 AM   #28
Laszlo

Quote:
I agree, a GTI is a great DD. They’re surprisingly roomy given their size, quality is good and they get great mpg as you mentioned.

I have also been looking into Touaregs (US version) and I like the newest body style, but I like the engine offerings in the older ones (i.e., V8 and V10 TDI). I believe in other parts of the world, the latest Touaregs are offered with a V8, but they’d probably be poor sellers here since people have a hard time spending 80k on a VW. That’s part of the reason why they’re killing off the Touareg here in the states and replacing it with the ghastly Atlas.

I’ve test driven both of the latest Touaregs, the V6 and V6 TDI. Both drive pretty nice, but the extra TQ from the TDI is nice to have.

I’ve been on the lookout for a 2008-2010 Touareg V8 (the last of the V8s for the states), but they’re hard to find unless you don’t mind one with 200k miles.
Makes sense but what a chase! Love the chase.

The Atlas is ghastly. Let's hope VW gets back on track in the design department. They had a great run, but for example, the MKVII (headlight design) was so bad it actually distorted the entire holistic design. It was so bad I had zero interest in upgrading, until the recent face lift MK7.5, where some simple redesigns put the Golf back on map. I'm sure there was a change in design leadership in-between the transition. And they're some upcoming products in the VW pipeline that I think are very attractive.

On a side note though, I've been holding onto the whole V8 thing for quite a few years now, but might let it go. For instance, my GL550, V8 is hugely complicated. Actually, one of the water pumps for one of the dual turbos, broke and the blade shrapnel got sucked into the system. Next year the truck is gone. Want simple, would be fine with V6 or I6.

Old 20 May 2018, 04:41 AM   #29
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I don't consider EU delivery to be actually importing a car. It's a program offered by the brand and you pay for it and they arrange everything.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 04:52 AM   #30
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
You see a lot of old 90's and 110's from the 80's, as well as original Land Rovers from earlier.
Sure, but do you see new Defenders as well?
Over here there are tons, all ranging from series I to end of production 2015-2016.

I believe that since the later ones still don't have airbags they are banned from the US, only 93-98 year models were originally imported and you can get the usual 25 year or older ones from Europe, just not newer.