The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 September 2006, 08:15 AM   #1
madformac
"TRF" Member

Rolex "Classics" series.

What if Rolex decided, in a limited number, to reproduce some of its classics. For instance a Submariner 1680 or a GMT II 16750.

Would there be a market for such items?

It worked wonders when Tag Heuer released classic Heuers a few years back.

Obviously they would have to be priced to reflect the limited editions they would be. But I thought it would be interesting to see if there was a market. Maybe one model a year, limited in numbers.
madformac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 08:47 AM   #2
mike
"TRF" Member

Well...I guess putting my "collector's hat" on I wouldn't really like to see it.
As much as I like the 1680 and 16750(my favorites of the vintage era) part of me thinks introducing retrograde models takes away from the history and allure of these models.
I would think the collector's arena would look down on them as being simply an imitation. Any introduction would be sans tritium dials--something prized by collectors.
In my view one of the strengths of Rolex has been It's refusal to change for change sake and the introduction of "special" or "limited" references.
Contemporary pieces bear a strong resemblence to the vintage brothers, and herein lies one of the strenghts of Rolex. Change has been evolutionary.

From a practical standpoint should one want the vintage look with modern functionality a 1680 or 16750 can be serviced and fitted with new hands and dial allowing one to acquire the same effect.

I did this with a 16750. The dial had issues. An RSC service and dial & hands change gave me all the advantages of the vintage piece with the practically of modern.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
You mean like Coke "Classic" and the Mac "Classic"?

Old 27 September 2006, 08:52 AM   #4
madformac
"TRF" Member

I quite agree from a collectors point of view it would be a sellout. Personally I would prefer the vintage to a "reissue" anyday. But I'm curious to see some views.

It seems to happen to a lot of companies when they run out of ideas they go back to what they know.

Funny thing is Rolex are behaving more radically lately than I can ever remember. So many new parts and models. Its like they have decided its time for a bit more innovation.
Old 27 September 2006, 08:55 AM   #5
madformac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post

Well I wouldn't be mad for that mac.

Some things don't age gracefully. (no JJ jokes on this one!) I mean't the computer!!
Old 27 September 2006, 08:56 AM   #6
C.J.
"TRF" Member

I agree completely with Mike. I would love to get a vintage Sub and GMT some day, but a re issue of the same piece would somehow cheapen the originals in my opinion
Old 27 September 2006, 08:59 AM   #7
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac View Post
Well I wouldn't be mad for that mac.
Some things don't age gracefully. (no JJ jokes on this one!) I mean't the computer!!
LOL - to think! I actually HAD ONE!!! But then, I had a Woz-edition IIGS as well. Ahhh, the good old days of 8-bit computing with a whopping 64K of RAM!!!
Old 27 September 2006, 09:01 AM   #8
madformac
"TRF" Member

Quote:
LOL - to think! I actually HAD ONE!!! But then, I had a Woz-edition IIGS as well. Ahhh, the good old days of 8-bit computing with a whopping 64K of RAM!!!
I had a Commodore 64 in the bad old days of the early 80's. Oh what a lovely shade of brown it was...
Old 27 September 2006, 09:05 AM   #9
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had a Commodore 64 in the bad old days of the early 80's. Oh what a lovely shade of brown it was...
They were fine machines, for their time. Now, I have a G5 Dual Processor/1.5GB of RAM/two internal HDs/23" Cinema display... A long way from those days...
Old 27 September 2006, 09:22 AM   #10
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Quote:
They were fine machines, for their time. Now, I have a G5 Dual Processor/1.5GB of RAM/two internal HDs/23" Cinema display... A long way from those days...
We have a 30"...... nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!
Plus i've got over 2TB under my desk......

Shame it's all full of rubbish....
Old 27 September 2006, 09:28 AM   #11
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
We have a 30"...... nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!
Plus i've got over 2TB under my desk......

Shame it's all full of rubbish....
Yeah, that 30" monster is awesome. I didn't mention the online storage that I have... Between the two internal drives and the two external FireWire drives, I probably have about the same storage space. One drive, an external Lacie drive, is a 1/2 TB drive that I use for backups only. I have about four machines that I back up to this drive - I got tired of other methods and just decided on the one drive dedicated to backups only.

Don't ya just LOVE all that screen real estate!!!

Rubbish? I got that too!!!
Old 27 September 2006, 09:28 AM   #12
TNRonin

Watch: 2000 SD
Well, from a novice's perspective, and one who would never be able to come up with the $$ for a vintage, I don't think it is that bad of an idea. I like the vintage, but I'll never be able to afford one.
TNRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 09:43 AM   #13
Gedanken
"TRF" Member

Watch: F-series SD
Reissued classics? Just one word comes to mind: tacky.

Call it an uncharitable view, but the underlying mesage of reissues ever so often is, "Okay, we know we've been screwing up of late, but hey, here's what we did right in 1956, so we can't be all bad!".
Old 27 September 2006, 04:47 PM   #14
djemmtee
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub
anyone here into air jordans? they issued retros and classics.....and they sell for more than 3-5 x 's the normal amount.

i think it would be cool to isssue some retro versions, with different color bezels and color combos.

Instagram: rolexfan69
djemmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 05:05 PM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
What if Rolex decided, in a limited number, to reproduce some of its classics. For instance a Submariner 1680 or a GMT II 16750.

Would there be a market for such items?

It worked wonders when Tag Heuer released classic Heuers a few years back.

Obviously they would have to be priced to reflect the limited editions they would be. But I thought it would be interesting to see if there was a market. Maybe one model a year, limited in numbers.
Brilliant suggestion and idea, Justin. I think it would work. Considering the number of vintage seekers there are out there, they would be just waiting for an opportunity to pounce on the re-introduction of an old classic.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2006, 07:36 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Agree with Mike on this one,but would doubt if it will ever happen vintage is vintage, retro is not IMO.Afraid you just cannot reproduce the natural patina of a vintage watch.And I for one hope they will never try,there are enough faked vintage on the market now.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2006, 05:31 AM   #17
mamas
"TRF" Member

i agree .. would hate it personally .. omega does produce the museam collection of vintage pieces, but releases 1 a year and in very limited numbers.. these are $$$ and personally wouldnt buy one.. but the museam collection has its own collectyors.
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote