The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 April 2018, 11:16 PM   #91
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
even pilots that are fairly close, once you handle them there is no comparison.

using that logic no one needs to buy patek at all, Frederique Constant makes many, many similar looking watches.
I was honestly poking fun, at him even making the comparison to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, I think IWC is a stellar brand, but the quality and attention to detail do not compare to Patek. In a totally different league.

Also, being halfway serious on a ‘different’ 5522 existing.....it doesn’t. It’s weird, a basic time only, without onion crown, dark blue dial.....can’t find it.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2018, 11:20 PM   #92
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
I was honestly poking fun, at him even making the comparison to begin with. Don’t get me wrong, I think IWC is a stellar brand, but the quality and attention to detail do not compare to Patek. In a totally different league.

Also, being halfway serious on a ‘different’ 5522 existing.....it doesn’t. It’s weird, a basic time only, without onion crown, dark blue dial.....can’t find it.
i was just pointing out the general "it looks like a (insert brand here) watch"... not directed to you.

Its not unique to the pilot, but no one really says a calatrava looks just like a Frederique Constant as a reason why they dont like it. People dont have to like anything and that is good that there is variety, its just a illogical to use a reason that also applies to many other Pateks.

I love IWC and wish the BP was smaller than 46mm. I got rid of it because of the size but it is a fabulous watch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 01:06 AM   #93
Bro Watch
"TRF" Member

If the 5522a is worth retail in a couple of years I will be surprised. Don't get me wrong it is a nice watch and I would be happy to own one but not at the current market price.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Bro Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 01:15 AM   #94
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Watch View Post
If the 5522a is worth retail in a couple of years I will be surprised. Don't get me wrong it is a nice watch and I would be happy to own one but not at the current market price.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Are you saying it will go for less than ~$21.5k MSRP?
Old 24 April 2018, 01:21 AM   #95
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Are you saying it will go for less than ~$21.5k MSRP?
IMO 30k is probably the floor. Its still a patek, its still a LE, and its still in SS. Below retail though, i would be shocked.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 24 April 2018, 02:50 AM   #96
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IMO 30k is probably the floor. Its still a patek, its still a LE, and its still in SS. Below retail though, i would be shocked.
I'm no expert in PP, but it does seem to me that it would always be desirable for the reasons you mention. I'd feel comfortable buying one for retail (as if....), wearing the heck out of it, and not ever thinking I'd lose money on it.

Of course that's different from buying one for $40-$50k.
Old 24 April 2018, 03:06 AM   #97
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
over retail is one thing, but the fact that i genuinely like the pilots and objectively they are very nice watches is also true.

I dislike this idea that Patek or any brand must make watches that appeal to everyone. Not saying you specifically, just in general.

Liking a Patek pilot does not mean you are buying into any hype. Its actually the opposite for me. I like it more because its a poke in the eye to establishment Patek fans who push their ideas of what a Patek is supposed to be onto me. Its supposed to divide opinions and that is appealing as much as the watch itself is.

The 5522 got a bit carried away, but its still a nice watch and the hype dying down doesnt make it any less of a nice watch.

I agree, no brand can please everyone and nor should they. Thankfully we have many brands to chose from in order to build a collection and I have yet to see any brand (large or small) where I find every reference appealing.

I also agree that in the specific case of the Pilot liking it does not mean you buy into the hype. However I think there a price beyond which one is merely liking it and one is in addition to liking it also buying into the hype (excluded in this are those fortunate enough to have the means not to care). I would have to guess that most people buying in over retail do at some point justify that decision based on the hype (and the expected resale value that hype brings).

At that point anything that threatens that hype, and the value therefore of ones watch, should be fought vigorously.

Fair Disclosure: Personally I like the Pilot Travel Time, and I was excited to see the "ladies" Pilot Travel Time in the metal at the weekend as the OG was (is) much too large for my wrists (for a watch of that price).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:11 AM   #98
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
I agree, no brand can please everyone and nor should they. Thankfully we have many brands to chose from in order to build a collection and I have yet to see any brand (large or small) where I find every reference appealing.

I also agree that in the specific case of the Pilot liking it does not mean you buy into the hype. However I think there a price beyond which one is merely liking it and one is in addition to liking it also buying into the hype (excluded in this are those fortunate enough to have the means not to care). I would have to guess that most people buying in over retail do at some point justify that decision based on the hype (and the expected resale value that hype brings).

At that point anything that threatens that hype, and the value therefore of ones watch, should be fought vigorously.

Fair Disclosure: Personally I like the Pilot Travel Time, and I was excited to see the "ladies" Pilot Travel Time in the metal at the weekend as the OG was (is) much too large for my wrists (for a watch of that price).

Yeah, im just saying i really dont like when a "premium" becomes less and then the watch is then viewed as some kind of flop. Like there is an expectation that these are investments. Its a slippery slope if thats the expectation as the premium then determines what watch is worth buying or not buying. I do not think the 5522 is worth much above retail and certainly not 50k. If its 25k its still less of a flop than 99% of all watches made.

I like it either way, just less than the 5524.
Old 24 April 2018, 03:22 AM   #99
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I like it either way, just less than the 5524.
Everything about the 5524 seems better except the production numbers.
Old 24 April 2018, 03:28 AM   #100
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Everything about the 5524 seems better except the production numbers.
if you like the left side pushers it is... which i do. Its quirky.
Old 24 April 2018, 03:36 AM   #101
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think any of these hyped watches will really fall much in value, let alone back to retail as some stockmarket types keep saying it will, it's a completely different market. I would actually now say that even a crash or economic downtown will not make a huge difference and certainly not quickly, what would need to crash is Social Media and that will never happen.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:46 AM   #102
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I don't think any of these hyped watches will really fall much in value, let alone back to retail as some stockmarket types keep saying it will, it's a completely different market.
Agree with this sentiment, it's not like these watches are going to flood back on the market if the economy tanks. Sure a few will show up but these are on the wrists and in the safes of collectors that can weather the minor ups and downs of the general economy. I'm biased though and think the 5522 is worth a lot more than retail.
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 03:54 AM   #103
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
even pilots that are fairly close, once you handle them there is no comparison.

Using that logic no one needs to buy Patek at all, Frederique Constant makes many, many similar looking watches so why pay more for Patek. The IWC, Zenith argument is selective justification and its the most common critique of the Patek pilots since they were first released.
I disagree with this completely.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 05:31 AM   #104
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Can you point me to where IWC produces a no date, time only pilot at 42mm? Or where Zenith produce this without a huge onion crown? Thanks
I can point you to pilots watches made by both brands that I find more aesthetically pleasing, but that’s a matter of taste. Obviously, the limited run is nice, but plenty of limited editions have spiked then fallen. I’d be shocked if this watch sticks above 30k down the road, but I’m hoping it does for those who own it!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 05:42 AM   #105
andyol1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Rolex
I was in London today and there was a 5522 in the window in the Burlington arcade. I asked them what they want for it,,,£55k was the response!!
andyol1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 06:10 AM   #106
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyol1966 View Post
I was in London today and there was a 5522 in the window in the Burlington arcade. I asked them what they want for it,,,£55k was the response!!
well for that you could have nearly bought two at the auction, provided they had two
Old 24 April 2018, 07:28 AM   #107
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyol1966 View Post
Hahahaha wow! And that’s POUNDS!
Old 24 April 2018, 07:33 AM   #108
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hahahaha wow! And that’s POUNDS!
rent is high on their 45 square foot shop
Old 24 April 2018, 08:48 AM   #109
antikythera
"TRF" Member

in a time where watches have to be almost compulsively more complicated, skeletonised, bigger, bolder, etc the 5522a is balm for the soul. it is surprising how refreshing simplicity can be. it has all what a holy grail watch needs and the potential to be one. perfect size, perfect proporsions, steel case, timeless minimalist design, its clean, understatement, no date, no unnecessary and useless funktions, it is an alrounder etc. etc.. to me the best watch in 2018 and one of my favorite watches ever.
and since it is often compared to the 5524, imo the 5522a is superior in every way. in the end its all a matter of taste and imo in compare the 5524 is just a wannabe. that unproportional big date display, those 2 big incongruous placed push buttons etc.. imo it is just ugly and pretentious in compare. the 5522a has class and character. its a gentlemens watch.
antikythera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 08:53 AM   #110
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikythera View Post
in a time where watches have to be almost compulsively more complicated, skeletonised, bigger, bolder, etc the 5522a is balm for the soul. it is surprising how refreshing simplicity can be. it has all what a holy grail watch needs and the potential to be one. perfect size, perfect proporsions, steel case, timeless minimalist design, its clean, no date, no unnecessary and useless funktions, it is an alrounder etc. etc.. to me the best watch in 2018 and one of my favorite watches ever.
and since it is often compared to the 5524, imo the 5522a is superior in every way. in the end its all a matter of taste and imo in compare the 5524 is just a wannabe. that unproportional big date display, those 2 big incongruous placed push buttons etc.. imo it is just ugly and pretentious in compare. the 5522a has class and character. its a gentlemens watch.
The best watch of all time?

I like it too.....but let’s step away from the koolaid, bitte.
Old 24 April 2018, 08:57 AM   #111
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
in a time where watches have to be almost compulsively more complicated, skeletonised, bigger, bolder, etc the 5522a is balm for the soul. it is surprising how refreshing simplicity can be. it has all what a holy grail watch needs and the potential to be one. perfect size, perfect proporsions, steel case, timeless minimalist design, its clean, no date, no unnecessary and useless funktions, it is an alrounder etc. etc.. to me the best watch in 2018 and one of my favorite watches ever.
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 08:59 AM   #112
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:

did i wrote somewhere "The best watch of all time"?!
Old 24 April 2018, 09:00 AM   #113
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true
and the other is to have your own taste opinion and personality right? ;)

cheers
Old 24 April 2018, 09:02 AM   #114
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

For 2017, you bet!
Old 24 April 2018, 09:05 AM   #115
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
5522A Fails

This thread is gold. My favorite thing about the 5522 is all the commotion it’s caused.
Old 24 April 2018, 09:06 AM   #116
antikythera
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
For 2017, you bet!
lol sorry my mistake
Old 24 April 2018, 09:15 AM   #117
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
This thread is gold. My favorite thing about the 5522 is all the commotion it’s caused.
Lol yep it's coming up on a year's worth of solid entertainment. Also taken out more than a few members around here.
Old 24 April 2018, 09:16 AM   #118
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
and the other is to have your own taste opinion and personality right? ;)

cheers

Funny thing is that my statement didn’t say what side I was rooting for, it can be interpreted either way. I guess you already decided for me. It’s ok , enjoy your day

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2018, 09:31 AM   #119
dmash
"TRF" Member

Who here actually even owns a 5522?
Old 24 April 2018, 09:34 AM   #120
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
The 5522 and the surrounding hype is deadly serious for some. Before I go to bed every night I pray that my 5522 will rest peacefully in the safe with no disturbances.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote