The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2019, 02:39 AM   #31
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbajan View Post
Attachment 1012935

this is the picture of the WC. The purchase date was traced over to look like 8-28-18 but you can clearly see that only the "8" was the only number that was traced over. Also, the AD BEAUCHAMP & COMPANY closed their doors and went out of business in 2017 in NM. Sorry to ask dumb questions but I think I got screwed big time here. I only sold it because the ***hole owner refused to return it and give my money back.
Did you buy this watch online with WC unseen or at a brick and mortar store and you seen the watch and WC in person? First of all you are an adult. You bought the watch. So why are you calling the store owner profanities and blaming him? You should have blamed yourself if the warranty card is that big of a deal! If the watch was fully stickered and in perfect condition, then maybe it was a new watch?! Just to let you know most Rolex watches never need warranty work, and if the price of the watch is right, most will buy. Time to put your big boy pants on and maybe do a bit more vetting next time if you truly believe you were duped. My 2c
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:51 AM   #32
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Do you have pics of the actual watch?

A 2012 vs 2018 should be very easy to differentiate with the varying rehauts. One is engraved, the other is laser etched.

Your warranty card is not one that was used in 2018.

Since you sold the watch, and posted no pictures, I'm not sure at this point what you are hoping for other than just venting.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:53 AM   #33
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Attachment 1012935

this is the picture of the WC. The purchase date was traced over to look like 8-28-18 but you can clearly see that only the "8" was the only number that was traced over. Also, the AD BEAUCHAMP & COMPANY closed their doors and went out of business in 2017 in NM. Sorry to ask dumb questions but I think I got screwed big time here. I only sold it because the ***hole owner refused to return it and give my money back.
Wow the card surely looked a mess; I wouldn't have bought it with this kind of card.

I guess I would say chalk it up to inexperience and learn from it at this point. You've sold the watch so what else could you do?
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 03:51 AM   #34
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

this is a weird thread for sure. I assume you paid $8K out the door, meaning you paid about $7300 for the watch, which is below market, especially from a Beverly Hills watch boutique. Obviously, you must have bought it recently given you allegedly believed it was first sold on 8-28-18.

You also must have re-sold it almost immediately. I am curious - how did you represent it when you sold it? and what is this thread really about? Were you expecting to make a profit on the sale that did not materialize due to the warranty card discrepancy?

You obviously looked at the watch and the warranty card before you bought it, and could clearly see the writing was traced over, yet you bought it anyway. The glaring question is - why?
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 04:14 AM   #35
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I wonder why OP isn't chiming in? Seems to be logging into the account but won't answer any questions.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 06:12 AM   #36
abbajan
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the responses. Obviously I inspected the watch and card. The stores answer was “we can’t confirm which date it is because Rolex makes random serial numbers” I questioned the date on the WC And that’s what their answer was. They presented the watch to me as new and me trusting them I assumed it was a 2018. It was a big assumption and a mistake. I found out it was a lower model because I listed the watch on Craigslist for $7,500 and a watch buyer/expert looked into it and said highly likely it’s a 2012 model. I that store the benefit of the doubt knowing they’re very “reputable” but I paid a big price. Overall lesson learned and I sold the watch at the price of a 2012 model with no warranty. If the watch was 2015 and up I could have possibly gotten my full 8k back because it would have still been within the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
abbajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 06:23 AM   #37
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfm22 View Post
And the point is ??
exactly. its doesnt matter as long as the watch is real
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:41 AM   #38
Banned

what a mess of a thread
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:42 AM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Obviously I inspected the watch and card. The stores answer was “we can’t confirm which date it is because Rolex makes random serial numbers” I questioned the date on the WC And that’s what their answer was. They presented the watch to me as new and me trusting them I assumed it was a 2018. It was a big assumption and a mistake. I found out it was a lower model because I listed the watch on Craigslist for $7,500 and a watch buyer/expert looked into it and said highly likely it’s a 2012 model. I that store the benefit of the doubt knowing they’re very “reputable” but I paid a big price. Overall lesson learned and I sold the watch at the price of a 2012 model with no warranty. If the watch was 2015 and up I could have possibly gotten my full 8k back because it would have still been within the warranty.

HOW did you expect the craigslist guy to know the age? the serial is scrambled and you had no bill of sale... you got taken for a ride
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:45 AM   #40
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

A service is $800; that should have been the most you deducted from the new price. You should have kept and worn the watch, imho. If it wasn't bought for that purpose then it shouldn't have been purchased, again, imho.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:07 PM   #41
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Pretty sure Rolex specifies that a ballpoint pen not be used on warranty cards......

Something isn’t right here that is for sure.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:27 PM   #42
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Pretty sure Rolex specifies that a ballpoint pen not be used on warranty cards......

Something isn’t right here that is for sure.
Seems like a fine point black Sharpie would be more fitting you're right.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:30 PM   #43
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

I don't understand...Why did you sell the watch right away?
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:24 PM   #44
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
A service is $800; that should have been the most you deducted from the new price. You should have kept and worn the watch, imho. If it wasn't bought for that purpose then it shouldn't have been purchased, again, imho.
My thinking, as well. By "new," I assume OP meant unworn, since he didn't buy it from an AD. Since the stickers were still on, it matches that description. A listing as "unworn" doesn't imply a date of original sale, and OP himself acknowledged that he made an assumption about when the original sale was, meaning the date was not stated as part of the listing. I'm still not seeing the fraud here.

Beyond which, if it was unworn, then it was still a pristine watch, except for the fact it might be close to needing of a service. I don't see the point in selling for a loss, when that money could have been put toward a service and brought the watch back to good-as-new status.

I have to echo 997.2 on this one: what a mess of a thread.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:35 PM   #45
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Sounds to me like OP bought the watch purely to flip, got focused on the impending assumed profit to be made and didnt carry out any due diligence in the rush to get out of the door and list the watch on Craigs, made some assumptions before, during and after purchase, did no homework, got rolled over by the new buyer and (again) assumed he'd have to take the hit and is now pissed that his fast buck turned in to a loss.

A mess of a thread indeed.
Old 17 January 2019, 06:31 AM   #46
lawrence1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yet again, there are more holes in your story.

The store you bought it from did not represent the watch as new, obviously, since they told you they could not tell you how old the watch was, and frankly that date, as illegible as it is, does not look like 2018. You may have assumed the watch was a 2018, or that you could pass it off for a 2018 upon flipping it, which clearly was your intent from the get go. Unfortunately for you, and fortunately for the buyer, you assumed wrong.

Also, since you claim to have paid $8K for the watch, and you proceeded to list it for $7,500 on Craigslist (while allegedly believing it was a 2018 vintage), you must have expected and accepted that you're not going to get your $8K back anyway, no? Otherwise I imagine you would've listed it for at least $8K.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here but you aren't fooling anybody and i don't think you're going to get any sympathy from anyone either.
lawrence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 06:38 AM   #47
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
when inspect a watch, and you ask the seller, which date is correct? and they reply, I really can't tell you for sure (basically buy at your own risk), you did NOT get screwed. You simply didn't do your due diligence. An Important lesson for you to learn and in some respects I get why you'd share it. But you need to stop thinking you got screwed and realize you screwed yourself.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 07:43 AM   #48
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
IMO OP screwed up, had buyer's remorse and decided to dump the watch on CL for a loss. At least $500 if not more. (I doubt the CL buyer paid the 7.5k asking price) Not much of a 'flip'

The CL expert will turn around and sell the watch for 8.5k!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 07:54 AM   #49
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
IMO OP screwed up, had buyer's remorse and decided to dump the watch on CL for a loss. At least $500 if not more. (I doubt the CL buyer paid the 7.5k asking price) Not much of a 'flip'

The CL expert will turn around and sell the watch for 8.5k!
Good point. A fully-stickered, NOS 114060 should go for more than MSRP these days.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 08:22 AM   #50
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Good point. A fully-stickered, NOS 114060 should go for more than MSRP these days.
You are right. Seems like the "expert" took the OP for a fool.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 08:27 AM   #51
Floorguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
Wow!!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:18 PM   #52
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
OP- What is the issue? Watch is brand new with stickers, meaning it was never touched in 6 years. It won't be polished or altered etc. If you buy from any non-AD you would not have warranty anyways, so I think you got a pretty good deal.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote