The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 January 2019, 10:51 AM   #1
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Cape Code on PCL

I have recently purchased a two tone GMT d(brand new) On the side of the case where it is polished i have scratched the case (only small) so i have tried to polish this out using a cape code cloth. It has not removed the scratch and when i shine a light on the section i have all small scratches now should i carry on polishing until these go or will it only get worse?

Absolutely gutted.
L33GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:59 AM   #2
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

you will drive yourself insane if you try to polish out every little scratch and not to mention you'll mess up the watch in the process. scratches are inevitable and will come no matter what you do unless you let it sit in a safe. i would forget about it and enjoy the watch
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:01 AM   #3
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

I wont be tryin to take a scratch out again, i am just concerned the polish side now looks more swirled/scratched under light after the cape code. Is there no way change this
Old 16 January 2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
It is a gorgeous watch. Enjoy it and all the scratches. The scratches are what makes the watch your watch and not some watch that is sitting in a showroom. Things will get better in the sense that you will get more scratches and you will care less about them as time goes on. The first scratch is always the worst.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:02 AM   #5
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33GMT View Post
I wont be tryin to take a scratch out again, i am just concerned the polish side now looks more swirled/scratched under light after the cape code. Is there no way change this
Just take it as a reminder not to mess with your watch.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:05 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m not a fan of do it yourself polishing.

It’s tough to get a nice even finish to match that of the factory. Practice makes perfect, but this is what can happen.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:07 AM   #7
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

I wont be trying to do it again myself, looks shocking when the light catches it compared to the other side of the crown :(
Old 16 January 2019, 11:08 AM   #8
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I wont be trying to do it again myself, looks shocking when the light catches it compared to the other side of the crown :(
its definitely fixable if it bothers you that much, but will cost money lol
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:14 AM   #9
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
The only way to get a mirror finish is with power tools, meaning a buffer with proper rouges. You have to work grits down to like 2500 and then just touch it with a buffer. You have to have extreme skill in this area or you will round corners quickly making it look even worse. Some jewelers are not even good at doing this and thats why Rolex gets high marks on case finishes.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:17 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Yeah I dont buff my watches. It is asking for trouble.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:18 AM   #11
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Nightmate, didnt think it would leave small scratches under the light when ive read that people use cape cod to polish up the PCL parts on a watch
Old 16 January 2019, 11:20 AM   #12
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Lesson learned I hope.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Banned

do not polish it
997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:23 AM   #14
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largoshark View Post
Lesson learned I hope.
Yes i wont be touch any scratches myself, would the goldsmiths i bought the watch from be able to fix this as they have a dedicated Rolex section? The watch is brand new so waiting till my service is quiet some time!
Old 16 January 2019, 11:42 AM   #15
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The only way to fix it is to have if polished by someone who knows what they're doing. Best to leave scratches for service time!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:49 AM   #16
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Nightmate, didnt think it would leave small scratches under the light when ive read that people use cape cod to polish up the PCL parts on a watch
Get a tube of Happich Simichrome metal polish. Made in Germany. A very small amount on a cotton sock and rub back and forth in a straight line on the side of the case. Should remove the hairlines. This stuff is the best metal polish I have ever used, and it works very well for touching up gold PCL's on the bracelet. Of course, always tape off the brushed satin finishes or else they will be polished also, which you don't want.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:03 PM   #17
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
The good news is that believe it or not with any polished surface the scratches will be less noticeable as time goes by. Any Rolex watch that is worn will develop hairlines on polished parts, but they also fade over time as the watch gets a more even amount of hairlines to the point it not noticeable. They always seem worst when the rest of the watch is new because these hairlines have not aged evenly quite yet.

Cape Cods are best for PCLs, though i have used it on the inside of my Glidelock in the past to reduce a deeper scar. That being said they never take out the scar completely just reduce. What you want to strive for is only taking the cloth to the exact portion that was scratched and not going beyond. Tough to do and a steady hand is needed, but end of day it's a spot on the watch only you will really notice bc you need to be close and in the right light to see.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:51 PM   #18
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Just leave them all. In a short while you won’t notice. When you eventually send it to RSC for service, have them take care of it. It’ll come back looking like new. I’ve learned that whenever ai try to fix scratches, they end up looking worse. Enjoy your watch!
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:08 PM   #19
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I am pretty good at it but have never tried it on a Rolex. Doxa, Oris, Omega the list goes on but if I have any polishing done on my Rolex's it will be done by a professional.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:23 PM   #20
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Post some pics. Sounds like you need to shine a light on the side of the case to even notice. I rarely even look at the side of my watch. It sucks that it happened on a brand new watch. I scratched 3 links pretty badly on my SubC after a month of ownership. Bothered me for a week now I’m over it.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:07 PM   #21
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
Post some pics. Sounds like you need to shine a light on the side of the case to even notice. I rarely even look at the side of my watch. It sucks that it happened on a brand new watch. I scratched 3 links pretty badly on my SubC after a month of ownership. Bothered me for a week now I’m over it.
You are right I have to shine a light on it and at a certain angle for scratches to be noticeable. I will post a picture soon a soon as I am past 10 post (forum rules won’t allow me before)
Old 16 January 2019, 08:55 PM   #22
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have recently purchased a two tone GMT d(brand new) On the side of the case where it is polished i have scratched the case (only small) so i have tried to polish this out using a cape code cloth. It has not removed the scratch and when i shine a light on the section i have all small scratches now should i carry on polishing until these go or will it only get worse?

Absolutely gutted.
If you dont like scratches maybe trade it in for a ladies ceramic chanel...joking aside the first scratch is always the most painful just a shame you set about the watch before you got used to it.

You could have it case valeted by someone like russell tallerman in london and then start over again.
Macnavara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 09:44 PM   #23
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post
If you dont like scratches maybe trade it in for a ladies ceramic chanel...joking aside the first scratch is always the most painful just a shame you set about the watch before you got used to it.

You could have it case valeted by someone like russell tallerman in london and then start over again.
I shouldn’t of tried to fix it myself. I suppose I’m lucky iv not done it to much and on something more visible.

Only when it’s in direct light you can see the small scratches now from the cloth, really didn’t think the cloth would give more light scratches when I’ve read so many people use them to get rid of swirls, which is what I would describe these as.
Old 16 January 2019, 09:46 PM   #24
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macnavara View Post

I just didn’t think the cloth would cause light scratches under certain light when I read so many people use the cloths to polish out swirl / scratches which is what I would describe the cloth has now done
Old 16 January 2019, 10:33 PM   #25
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Not sure if the image above has worked ?
Old 16 January 2019, 10:35 PM   #26
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
The only way to get a mirror finish is with power tools, meaning a buffer with proper rouges. You have to work grits down to like 2500 and then just touch it with a buffer. You have to have extreme skill in this area or you will round corners quickly making it look even worse. Some jewelers are not even good at doing this and thats why Rolex gets high marks on case finishes.
That is the truth!
Polishing is professionals with professional tools.
You can try and you may succeed but you're more than likely to polish off a bunch of metal and be totally dissatisfied with the result.

Ask around, maybe there is some guy who is skilled at polishing Rolex who can fix it for you, or take it to Rolex.

Polishing a Rolex is a specific skill in itself as if one does not know 100% what they are doing they will ruin the surfaces, angles and edges of the watch/bracelet.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:39 PM   #27
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Old 16 January 2019, 10:43 PM   #28
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Probably a more accurate view ...

Old 16 January 2019, 11:17 PM   #29
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

We have all learnt the hard way with Cape Cod!

PCLs are a tough one but I take mine into WPC in Hatton Garden once a year where the PCLs only are given a very very light polish, can't recommend Miguel enough!
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 11:18 PM   #30
L33GMT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
We have all learnt the hard way with Cape Cod!

PCLs are a tough one but I take mine into WPC in Hatton Garden once a year where the PCLs only are given a very very light polish, can't recommend Miguel enough!
How much does this polish cost?