The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 January 2019, 11:57 AM   #31
mangoseed
Banned

The real question is who would buy an Omega anymore?
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 07:53 PM   #32
SoCal_Batman
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛ BLNR | AK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
A couple disclaimers before I give my thoughts. I am a believer that the term tool watch is meant to mean a watch that was built to perform a specific function outside of regular timekeeping, and one that was “historically” used by people in certain lines of work or hobbies where these functions were needed.

All that said, I don’t think any of them are necessary anymore, but fun to talk about, collect, and use. Additionally, I have stated many times that Tudor is below Rolex in quality by design. It is intended to be an inferior brand, and a Tudor is not a Rolex. I am, however, an owner of a couple Tudor’s and feel they can stand on their own as fantastic watches that represent great value.

I am also a big believer that this out of control Rolex craziness that is going on right now is temporary, and it will soon return to normal. I also think there are many crazy prices on older pieces that will soon “correct”.

The more I pay attention to this craziness, the more I realize that Tudor has in many ways actually become the brand that caters to the “purist”. By purist, I am referring to collectors of tool watches. Titanium cases with HE valves, and bright lume on the bezels (Pelagos), while still making dive watches that are reminiscent of the features many miss about the old Rolex and Tudor watches like smaller cases, and chamfered lugs (Black Bay). Let’s also not forget the fantastic Heritage Chronographs.

While people anxiously await their turn to drop $10,000 on a new “Pepsi” with a plastic looking bezel, there is a 2 color GMT available now for a third of the price that is more reminiscent of the old watch, and it’s made by the same company!

This is not to start a debate about which is better, because I do think Rolex is superior. This is more of a thread to applaud Tudor and what they have been doing for the collectors out there. Not a lot of precious metals and gemstones...functional tool watches that are reminiscent of an era when people actually needed a watch!
Very well said !
Old 9 January 2019, 08:29 PM   #33
stamsd
"TRF" Member

Watch: this/ hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra260 View Post
need info on your Blackbay Steel with the black bezel! that look hot. i love my steel but that black bezel really pops. The date complication is a must
+1. Do tell.
stamsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 08:40 PM   #34
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra260 View Post
Tudor sells a watch that is 95% as good as Rolex for 30% of the cost. I think its only a matter of time before people catch on to this and the brand will become highly sought after like its big brother.
I wouldn’t go that far. There’s a lot of competition at Tudor’s price points. They are going after a different and sportier market than Rolex and Tudor will never have the brand value of its big brother.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 08:59 PM   #35
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

I wore a Black Bay Red every day for 5 years and since 2 years I wear a Kermit on a daily basis. Tudor at the end got me to Rolex but I think Tudor is quality wise on pair with Rolex. I actually like the bezel action better on the Blackbay and it has this feature keeping it from rotating accidently when on the 0 hour marker. This in combination with the 70 hours power reserve, design and ceramic pins in the clasp makes it a winner.
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 09:18 PM   #36
tanask211
"TRF" Member

In terms of price wise, Rolex is definitely getting further from Tudor after the shortage of highly sought after sport series which is telling me to reconsider whether if i should buy a good time piece with 50% of the cost on the brand itself. Tudor is moving up the game but they need to innovates or introduce a new range else the BB series will dry up soon.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk
tanask211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 09:39 PM   #37
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Absolutely spot on Sir! Seconded.

Quote:
A couple disclaimers before I give my thoughts. I am a believer that the term tool watch is meant to mean a watch that was built to perform a specific function outside of regular timekeeping, and one that was “historically” used by people in certain lines of work or hobbies where these functions were needed.

All that said, I don’t think any of them are necessary anymore, but fun to talk about, collect, and use. Additionally, I have stated many times that Tudor is below Rolex in quality by design. It is intended to be an inferior brand, and a Tudor is not a Rolex. I am, however, an owner of a couple Tudor’s and feel they can stand on their own as fantastic watches that represent great value.

I am also a big believer that this out of control Rolex craziness that is going on right now is temporary, and it will soon return to normal. I also think there are many crazy prices on older pieces that will soon “correct”.

The more I pay attention to this craziness, the more I realize that Tudor has in many ways actually become the brand that caters to the “purist”. By purist, I am referring to collectors of tool watches. Titanium cases with HE valves, and bright lume on the bezels (Pelagos), while still making dive watches that are reminiscent of the features many miss about the old Rolex and Tudor watches like smaller cases, and chamfered lugs (Black Bay). Let’s also not forget the fantastic Heritage Chronographs.

While people anxiously await their turn to drop $10,000 on a new “Pepsi” with a plastic looking bezel, there is a 2 color GMT available now for a third of the price that is more reminiscent of the old watch, and it’s made by the same company!

This is not to start a debate about which is better, because I do think Rolex is superior. This is more of a thread to applaud Tudor and what they have been doing for the collectors out there. Not a lot of precious metals and gemstones...functional tool watches that are reminiscent of an era when people actually needed a watch!
Old 9 January 2019, 10:07 PM   #38
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Tudor makes a great watch for a better price, love my bbn she was just on the wrist for 2+ weeks straight!
Old 9 January 2019, 10:43 PM   #39
Alex6340
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, PP 5167
Let’s give Tudor their proper credit!

This my favourite Tudor (also my only one ) #teambigblock

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 9 January 2019, 10:54 PM   #40
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I spent many years with no interest in Tudor. In part this was due to the snowflake hands. Than along came the GMT....

I love mine, and have learned to love the hands!

Agreed and the history behind the hands make them even more enjoyable! When I strap on my Sub, the Mercedes hands are definitely a class above imo, but like you, since owning a Tudor, I have grown to really enjoy and appreciate the Snowflake styling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 10:58 PM   #41
Astacun
"TRF" Member

Well said OP.
Astacun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 10:59 PM   #42
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
The real question is who would buy an Omega anymore?

Agreed! Though I hated reading through this thread a little while back.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=639515

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 11:32 PM   #43
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Tudor makes great watches. I think the North Flag is one of the best adventure/explorer watches out there. For the money, hard to beat.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2019, 11:40 PM   #44
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
I agree. Now, will you sell me that Big Block I sold you a while back for the same price?
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 12:04 AM   #45
Albatross
"TRF" Member

I have the Tudor Black Bay Blue with the ETA movement, Rose dial, and I absolutely love that watch. With Tudor's range of models released over the past few years, I definitely think that a Tudor deserves a home in every collection. It looks great, wears great, is accurate as hell, feels great on the wrist, great bracelet, excellent clasp, smooth bezel adjustment, outstanding lume qualities...what is not to love?
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 12:05 AM   #46
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Yep agree completely. As you pointed out so astutely the Rolex is superior to the Tudor "by design." In other words, they have purposely positioned the Tudor below the Rolex so they can justify charging more for the Rolex. So, they have reserved the ceramic bezels and top notch bracelets for the Rolex for example. If they didn't do that they would be competing with themselves. Also as you pointed out the Tudor line retains a more "tooly" and vintage vibe and the Rolex line has moved more upscale towards the luxury end of things. Both are awesome and every Rolex owner on this board should do themselves a favor and add a Tudor to their stable. You won't be disappointed. Still gushing over my GMT. It's an amazing true too watch and understated just enough that you can literally wear it everywhere. Could not be happier with this watch!

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 12:39 AM   #47
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
Well put OP!!!

I came to this forum as a BLNR FANBOY and all its SS apex glory.

Sticking around here and observing for a year or two I have really come to enjoy 5 digit Rolex and now Tudor. My Tudor GMT gets more wrist time right now than the Hulk and BLNR comined
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 02:50 AM   #48
SpunkyQ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM,AP,PP,RLX,PAM
Very well said OP. I did realize that as well. Hence, making me acquire 2 pieces within months

I was never a believer of Tudor until recently. As a result >>>

SpunkyQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 03:06 AM   #49
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazadams View Post
Well put OP!!!

I came to this forum as a BLNR FANBOY and all its SS apex glory.

Sticking around here and observing for a year or two I have really come to enjoy 5 digit Rolex and now Tudor. My Tudor GMT gets more wrist time right now than the Hulk and BLNR comined
This seems to be an increasing sentiment. I have to say that my Deepsea has a unique feel that I really like. That aside, it’s hard to argue that I don’t enjoy my Tudor’s as much as my Sub or Explorer II. They are simply great watches!!
Old 10 January 2019, 03:07 AM   #50
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyQ8 View Post
Very well said OP. I did realize that as well. Hence, making me acquire 2 pieces within months

I was never a believer of Tudor until recently. As a result >>>

And fabric straps too! We might be friends!
Old 10 January 2019, 04:01 AM   #51
GrpCaptMandrake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
It's a bit ironic that my first posting on TRF is about a Tudor. The wrist shot of the GMT is almost painful for me, and here's why.

I've wanted a GMT to keep my fairly recently acquired Explorer company for some time now. The Tudor ticks all the boxes: A versatile and good looking watch that's very well finished with an outstanding in-house movement and at 41mm, just the right size for me.

It will be a while before I can get one however. While the local AD's have nearly all the other Tudor models on hand, all of them have wait lists for the GMT.

For now, all I can do is drool when I see the watch on someone's wrist . . .
GrpCaptMandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 04:31 AM   #52
SpunkyQ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: RM,AP,PP,RLX,PAM
Quote:
And fabric straps too! We might be friends!
Can't go wrong with these BB's!
SpunkyQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:06 AM   #53
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Been singing this tune for quite some time.

Have to disagree on Tudor being below the quality of Rolex. Other than the use of more precious metals, purposely withholding stainless steel inventory, and an aggressive marketing campaign aimed at the most exclusive clientele, I think Tudor fit and finish are on par w./ Rolex. I'm sure many of the Rolex brand status seekers just stained their shorts reading that one.

And I also don't see the current Rolex paradigm as temporary or returning to normal as there never was a normal w/ Rolex.

Don’t get me wrong, not trying to equate the brands. They each have their place. Although I love my Rolex GMT II I feel more comfortable with Tudor and love the direction they've embarked on since 2010.
dP
Well said.

Although a 30+ year Rolex fan, I now am on the search for a Tudor Pelagos LHD. As has been stated, Tudor is a watch that approaches Rolex quality at a more affordable price. Which by the way was the intent of the line when created by Hans Wilsdorf.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:08 AM   #54
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
Lets give Tudor a proper sub-forum too. Why keep clubbering Rolex and tudor in the same forum together? Even Seiko has its own sub-forum. Filter out lots of traffic
Absolutely agree !!!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:27 AM   #55
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Can’t find blue Pelagos pics, although it looked great and was a fine divers watch, after a few months off it went
Old 10 January 2019, 05:30 AM   #56
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
I have five Rolex watches, including one vintage, and four Tudor watches, including one vintage, so I'm obviously a fan of both brands.

I'm not going to get into the quality argument. I'll just say that Rolex is a good value and that Tudor is a great bargain.

I'll also add that what Tudor is doing of late is actually of greater interest than what Rolex is doing, not that Rolex isn't doing great things. Tudor is just more interesting to me at this time.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:39 AM   #57
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
I’ve had a few including the GMT, black bay and pelagos and all have been moved on until I got the call for a harrods Black bay in December. I don’t know what’s changed - maybe the bracelet has been sized differently to before, but I love the heft, the fit and the size. So much so, I’m looking at potentially picking up a chrono if I can find one at the right price.

They are great watches at the price point and I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with this year - more so than Rolex as at least I’ll be able to obtain these.

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:44 AM   #58
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I'll also add that what Tudor is doing of late is actually of greater interest than what Rolex is doing, not that Rolex isn't doing great things. Tudor is just more interesting to me at this time.
Well said Sir. I concur.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:45 AM   #59
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I’ve had a few including the GMT, black bay and pelagos and all have been moved on until I got the call for a harrods Black bay in December. I don’t know what’s changed - maybe the bracelet has been sized differently to before, but I love the heft, the fit and the size. So much so, I’m looking at potentially picking up a chrono if I can find one at the right price.

They are great watches at the price point and I’m looking forward to seeing what they come up with this year - more so than Rolex as at least I’ll be able to obtain these.

Steve, did you flip your GMT?

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2019, 05:47 AM   #60
GrpCaptMandrake
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:

Its a bit ironic that my first post on the Rolex forum is about a Tudor.

I'm a Rolex newbie and not particularly horologically savvy, but share much of the sentiment regarding Tudor expressed in Sublovin's post. So much so, that I've decided to provide my relatively newly acquired Explorer with a companion Tudor GMT. Alas, my poor Rolex will have to take solace from its Alpinist box-mate for some time, perhaps even the better part of 2019, thanks to the cursed wait list.

I'm on said list with my local AD, a list that at least in my area, seems limited to only the GMT. During the seemingly interminable wait, I will need to get my daily Tudor fix from photos of the GMT, so thank you Samson66.
GrpCaptMandrake is offline   Reply With Quote