The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2019, 12:27 PM   #31
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
The answer is unclear due to questions. Will they adjust at the AD or at RSC. If it's quick and they have an onsite watch tech then sure have them adjust it. If it needs to go to RSC then be prepared to be without the watch for a while (perhaps a couple of months). Your call!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:28 PM   #32
Euge
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Watches
Leave the watch alone so it losses all power reserve.
Then manually wind your watch about 40 complete screws.
Wear the watch and wear it 2 months daily.
See after 2 months how is it doing.

Hope this helps, sometimes it takes watches to settle....

If is still +5 sec/day after all this, and it bothers you,
go to AD so they can regulate +- 2sec/day, it’s simple for an AD watchmaker to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:29 PM   #33
Hub6152
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
If a Rolex cannot withstand daily winding, something is wrong. The amount of wear from hand winding is minimal.

This is true. The winding mechanism is very robust and designed to withstand repeated use. However a daily wind is totally unnecessary if the watch is only left unworn overnight. The Rolex automatic system is extremely efficient unlike say an ETA28** so doesn’t need manually topping up. Only if the watch has fully run down would you need to manually wind (30-40 turns) in order to fully charge the mainspring to deliver the proper degree of amplitude to the escapement.
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 12:35 PM   #34
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrocop View Post
If your new from the AD Rolex superlative chronometer was running 5 seconds fast each day would you take it in and have them adjust it?
Not yet. If still under warranty let it settle for a month or two. I have had other watches settle in after a few months and keep better time. However, if not It’s possible it could be slightly magnetized.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 01:32 PM   #35
wrxsti
"TRF" Member

I have a bigger problem I never check the accuracy of any of my watches!
Old 15 January 2019, 01:41 PM   #36
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
That's a good problem, really.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 04:02 PM   #37
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 39, SeaQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
. . . If it needs to go to RSC then be prepared to be without the watch for a while (perhaps a couple of months). Your call!!!
They’ll give me a loaner while it’s being serviced, right?
Jerrocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 04:15 PM   #38
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Surely you jest.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 05:40 PM   #39
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No. Not right.

Old 15 January 2019, 05:45 PM   #40
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
I would not. Is it worth being without your baby for that length of time...?

However, if you purchase another ROLEX, which you might already own, then I would. The ROLEX are capable of better

But let it settle down for a month and see

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 06:46 PM   #41
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
If a Rolex cannot withstand daily winding, something is wrong. The amount of wear from hand winding is minimal.
Sure, and it can "withstand being slammed against a wall every day". The question is, why would you do it? The wear from doing this once is negligible. The wear from doing it every day for a year would be noticeable. The wear from doing it every day for 10 years would be very serious. This is not a manual wind watch. This is an automatic watch and as such it is NOT designed to be wound every day.

This is why I don't like the idea of buying used watches. People have different ideas about how to treat watches and think certain practices are fine, as long as the watch can "withstand" it...
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 06:48 PM   #42
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Yes, would Sir like gold or platinum, or a Patek perhaps?
Old 15 January 2019, 07:07 PM   #43
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Sure, and it can "withstand being slammed against a wall every day". The question is, why would you do it? The wear from doing this once is negligible. The wear from doing it every day for a year would be noticeable. The wear from doing it every day for 10 years would be very serious. This is not a manual wind watch. This is an automatic watch and as such it is NOT designed to be wound every day.

This is why I don't like the idea of buying used watches. People have different ideas about how to treat watches and think certain practices are fine, as long as the watch can "withstand" it...
If you are so worried just store your watch and don’t wear it. Mechanical watches have moving parts that wear out. It’s inevitable. But going back to the posters comment that he gives it 20 winds each morning, yes over a long period of time it will cause wear but more to the point, he’s wasting his time and defeating the purpose of owning a self winding watch.

Myself, I own 7 automatic watches. One is a Rolex. The 4 worn most often stay on my Orbita winder and the other 3 are wound the morning I wear them. There’s an argument that a wonder creates undue wear but that’s an overreaction.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 07:19 PM   #44
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
If you are so worried just store your watch and don’t wear it.
I am not worried and I wear my watch every day. I wear it, not someone else. That is why I am not worried.

Again, thank you for making my point about why buying used watches is not always a great idea. I would for example never buy a watch that has been anywhere near a winder.
Old 15 January 2019, 07:56 PM   #45
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
I am not worried and I wear my watch every day. I wear it, not someone else. That is why I am not worried.

Again, thank you for making my point about why buying used watches is not always a great idea. I would for example never buy a watch that has been anywhere near a winder.
To each their own. You can’t have it both ways. If you have a dead automatic watch you have to wind and set it through the crown. You say that creates wear. I say the wear is minimal, not enough to worry about.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:23 PM   #46
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
If your new from the AD Rolex superlative chronometer was running 5 seconds fast each day would you take it in and have them adjust it?
First consistency is one of the most important factors in any mechanical movement.And the wording Superlative Chronometer has been on Rolex dials for decades more marketing than anything.The bare uncased movements are still tested at the Swiss COSC to a AVERAGE of -4+6 seconds to get the Chronometer certification.And in the first 10 days of testing on any single day can be up to 10 seconds either way out and still pass the test.The past movements are then shipped back to Rolex stored till matched to its case.Then Rolex retests on a machine with mainspring at full power-reserve to this new -2+2 spec on machine it will pass, but on the the wrist could be slightly different.If these 3 seconds difference out of 86400 in a day is really important to you by all means get it regulated.But expect watch to be away for around 4 weeks before you get it back,and again results on a machine test could be slightly different on your wrist and wearing habits.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:30 PM   #47
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

If this is a problem then life is good my friend
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:25 AM   #48
dwatcher
Banned

Watch: Luxury Watches
Use it first for a few months. If its still running slow then you take it advantage of the rolex warranty which covers you.
dwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:31 AM   #49
H25B
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, OP31
I’d be inclined to let them deal with it, for what they cost they should meet spec.

I just checked my Sub after setting it 4 days ago and it’s only 1 sec. fast.
H25B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:50 AM   #50
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Surely you jest.
Most definitely.
Old 16 January 2019, 10:00 AM   #51
ryankelly
"TRF" Member

I’ve been spoiled by Rolex because +5/day sounds excessive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ryankelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 10:48 AM   #52
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Most definitely.
So what are you doing with the watch?

Old 16 January 2019, 02:10 PM   #53
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
So what are you doing with the watch?
It spent the night on its crown. Today it seems to be about +3, so an improvement. I’ll give it some more time before I do anything else. I’m really not overly concerned, just wanted to find out if this is an early sign of an issue and trying to learn what others have experienced. In a year I probably won’t be concerned because I’ll understand better what to expect.
Old 16 January 2019, 02:39 PM   #54
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
+5 is definitely out of current specs, and regardless of the ribbing one might take from some members about being so picky, personally I would not find it acceptable. My 3135 Sub is within +1 after two years, so +/- 2 is definitely achievable. I would pay no mind to those who say you should go quartz if you want better than +5.

That said, I would recommend you play around with resting positions before taking it in, and make sure you're giving it a full wind before each evaluation period. Check it every 24 hours against a known reference time, like time.gov. You might find that makes a difference - or it might not. Since opening the case by non-RSC would void the warranty, it would need to be sent to RSC for regulation, meaning you can expect to be without it for several weeks. Better to be completely sure it's warranted before going to the trouble.
I agree.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:34 PM   #55
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
It spent the night on its crown. Today it seems to be about +3, so an improvement. I’ll give it some more time before I do anything else. I’m really not overly concerned, just wanted to find out if this is an early sign of an issue and trying to learn what others have experienced. In a year I probably won’t be concerned because I’ll understand better what to expect.
If the timekeeping is consistent (e.g., always +5, or +3 crown down, etc.), then it's no sign of a problem. That means it's actually very precise; it's just not accurate to spec. At most, it just needs to be regulated to get it within spec, and only if it bothers you enough to go to the trouble.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 05:46 PM   #56
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

You have a five year warranty, so I would wait for a bit before sending it in to see if it settles down.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2019, 12:24 AM   #57
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
No I wouldn't. Don't care about a few seconds per day
Old 2 February 2019, 10:42 AM   #58
Jerrocop
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just a quick follow-up . . .

So I tried laying it on it's side for a few nights but didn't really see a change so I ended up at the AD again and they regulated it to +1 sec, at least that's what they told me. It's now been a few weeks and I have to admit that I am surprised at how consistent it has been running sub +1 sec. The watch hasn't stopped since regulated and appears to be keeping perfect time (is that possible?).
Old 2 February 2019, 11:04 AM   #59
broham84
"TRF" Member

That's way too much. all of my Rolexs are better than +1 a day from day 1. Hulk is +13 second for a month.
broham84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2019, 11:08 AM   #60
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Open a brand new watch for 5 seconds fast? No way.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote