The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 January 2019, 07:35 AM   #1
abbajan
"TRF" Member

Bought a Rolex with a tampered WC.

Hi, has anyone ever bought a used Rolex with the warranty card tampered with? I bought a watch from a Jeweler and it was a sub no date 114060. The watch was definitely a 2012 model but the owner tracer over the 12 to make it a 18 and also the watch had its original stickers on. Aren’t ads suppose to remove the stickers? Ang help?
abbajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 07:41 AM   #2
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
We will need some photos I think.
If you bought the watch knowing it was 2012 and don’t expect a warranty, what’s the problem?
It may have been purchased and not worn. I looked at a 15 year old likely never worn DD not long ago. I should have bought it.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 07:43 AM   #3
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbajan View Post
Hi, has anyone ever bought a used Rolex with the warranty card tampered with? I bought a watch from a Jeweler and it was a sub no date 114060. The watch was definitely a 2012 model but the owner tracer over the 12 to make it a 18 and also the watch had its original stickers on. Aren’t ads suppose to remove the stickers? Ang help?

Take it back to the dealer for a complete refund, if they do not rectify, report a fraud to the authorities. If the dealer is shady, I wouldn’t trust the supposed 2012 either ! The card was tampered for a reason, not for the fun of it !

Buy from a trusted seller here on TRF, post some wrist shots when the new watch arrives.

Old 15 January 2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
BTW, the AD requiring removal of the stickers is a relatively new phenomenon.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #5
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Was the jeweler an AD?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:00 AM   #6
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Aren’t ads suppose to remove the stickers? Ang help?
The AD did not remove the stickers!!??!!?? You may wish to send your watch in to a Rolex service center. They will have the correct tools and knowledge to remove the stickers.

Seriously, how do you know that watch is a 2012 model? How is that different from a 2018 114060? Pictures please.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 09:07 AM   #7
wBrah
"TRF" Member

I've dealt with shenanigans like that before. I'd return it.
wBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 10:11 AM   #8
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Is this ‘Jeweler’ and Authorized Dealer?
Was it sold as a BNIB model? (Under factory warranty)?

If the watch is from a reputable seller or AD - there should be no issue — if it is from a jeweler or non-AD I’d have some heartburn...but then again you ALWAYS need to know what you’re buying.

Regardless, I’d be questioning them about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Seibei
Banned

It does not seem likely that an 114060 was sitting unsold since 2012. I suspect that there is some misunderstanding here.

I would like to know the reason why the OP thinks this is a 2012 model.
Old 15 January 2019, 12:49 PM   #10
abbajan
"TRF" Member

heres a photo of the WC. do you see the last 2 digits of the year being only the numbers that cannot be read? it clearly shows it being traced over to sell at a premium. I bought the watch for $8,000 but had to find out through multiple experts that the watch was highly likely a 2012 model and the serial number started with a H. I had to sell it at a loss and now I have filed a complaint against the business through BBB and left them a horrible yelp review since the owner refused to give me a refund. The jeweler was not an AD but a well known store in Beverly Hills, CA. Any help or advice?
Old 15 January 2019, 12:54 PM   #11
abbajan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Was the jeweler an AD?
no it was not unfortunatley
Old 15 January 2019, 01:26 PM   #12
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
heres a photo of the WC. do you see the last 2 digits of the year being only the numbers that cannot be read? it clearly shows it being traced over to sell at a premium. I bought the watch for $8,000 but had to find out through multiple experts that the watch was highly likely a 2012 model and the serial number started with a H. I had to sell it at a loss and now I have filed a complaint against the business through BBB and left them a horrible yelp review since the owner refused to give me a refund. The jeweler was not an AD but a well known store in Beverly Hills, CA. Any help or advice?
?????????

Did you buy it as a new watch, then discovered it was 2012 ?

Why sell it before issue resolved?

If you have already sold it, what advice/help can we provide ?

?????????

Lesson learned, name the store, name the owner, and move on. End of story.
Old 15 January 2019, 02:39 PM   #13
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Warranty cards should be different between 2012 and 2018. Unless the 2012 is old stock which i doubt for a 114060.
I cannot see your photo.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 03:03 PM   #14
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Just to clear it up, how do you know it’s from 2012? Because you can clearly see the 2 on the card that was written over with an 8? I assumed you didn’t see or check that before buying the watch? Anyhow, you didn’t buy from an AD, so you narrow your options right there. Did the seller straight up lie and tell you the watch was from 2018 with a valid and active warranty?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 03:21 PM   #15
abbajan
"TRF" Member

IMG_1055.JPG

this is the picture of the WC. The purchase date was traced over to look like 8-28-18 but you can clearly see that only the "8" was the only number that was traced over. Also, the AD BEAUCHAMP & COMPANY closed their doors and went out of business in 2017 in NM. Sorry to ask dumb questions but I think I got screwed big time here. I only sold it because the ***hole owner refused to return it and give my money back.
Old 15 January 2019, 03:56 PM   #16
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Take it back to the dealer for a complete refund, if they do not rectify, report a fraud to the authorities. If the dealer is shady, I wouldn’t trust the supposed 2012 either ! The card was tampered for a reason, not for the fun of it !

Buy from a trusted seller here on TRF, post some wrist shots when the new watch arrives.

Maybe give them the benefit of doubt first as I bought a deepsea once and they made a mistake on the date and subsequently wrote the correct date over....it looked terrible and I always thought that if i sold it it would look like i was trying to pull a fast one.....luckily I had a till receipt from the AD to back it up.
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 04:06 PM   #17
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Attachment 1012935

this is the picture of the WC. The purchase date was traced over to look like 8-28-18 but you can clearly see that only the "8" was the only number that was traced over. Also, the AD BEAUCHAMP & COMPANY closed their doors and went out of business in 2017 in NM. Sorry to ask dumb questions but I think I got screwed big time here. I only sold it because the ***hole owner refused to return it and give my money back.
Honestly, the writing on that card is so messy, I wouldn't assume it was an attempt to obscure. It could have just been crappy writing.

Regarding stickers, the policy to remove them only happened within the last year or so, as mentioned above.

One key piece of information you have not provided: was this represented to you as a 2018 model with an intact warranty? The scenario changes dramatically depending on the answer.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 05:22 PM   #18
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
The WC gives a date of Purchase, not manufacture. You knew, or should have known, that only AD's sell bnib Rolex watches. Everything else, grey, pre-owned by a consumer, etc., is a pre-owned watch, that may or may not have been worn. Is your name Peterson?
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 06:55 PM   #19
Seibei
Banned

Well, I tend to agree with the OP. The number 8 appears 2 times and those times it looks nothing like the 8 that is supposed to be in 2018.
Tell the dealer in a friendly way, that he can do it the easy way, you give him the watch back and get a refund. Or he can do it that hard way, you contact your credit card company and get a refund via them and he will be sued for fraud.
I have a feeling that he will do it the easy way.

If BEAUCHAMP & COMPANY went out of business in 2017, then the 18 on the card had to be forged.
Old 15 January 2019, 07:51 PM   #20
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seibei View Post
Well, I tend to agree with the OP. The number 8 appears 2 times and those times it looks nothing like the 8 that is supposed to be in 2018.
Tell the dealer in a friendly way, that he can do it the easy way, you give him the watch back and get a refund. Or he can do it that hard way, you contact your credit card company and get a refund via them and he will be sued for fraud.
I have a feeling that he will do it the easy way.

If BEAUCHAMP & COMPANY went out of business in 2017, then the 18 on the card had to be forged.
He'll have a hard time getting a refund considering he already sold the watch. Besides which, he claimed the seller wouldn't provide a refund. I don't know what crying about it at this point is going to accomplish, or what advice we could offer that would be of benefit. Beyond that, he still hasn't explained exactly why there's a problem with having a 2012 watch instead of a 2018 watch, if the watch was NOS either way. IMO, that makes this whole thing a bit of a non-starter, absent more information. Perhaps the OP can fill in some of the gaping holes he left open.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:02 PM   #21
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Attachment 1012935

Were you expecting a five year warranty? I'd have read that card as 2012 and not 2018; the other "2" looks almost the same. Did you see a photo of the card before buying the watch? Are the stickers still on the watch now? Actually the date is incorrectly filled out anyway as Rolex has dealers fill the out by DD-MM-YYYY.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 08:59 PM   #22
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Attachment 1012935

You’re not telling us the whole story here. Were you told the watch was from 2012 and cane with an active warranty? Or did you know going into it the watch was from 2012? Also, you sold the watch already? So how did you explain this all to the buyer? If you think you got screwed, what does that say for the buyer of your watch lol? Also you say sorry to ask dumb questions, what’s your question?
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 09:46 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
You’re not telling us the whole story here. Were you told the watch was from 2012 and cane with an active warranty? Or did you know going into it the watch was from 2012? Also, you sold the watch already? So how did you explain this all to the buyer? If you think you got screwed, what does that say for the buyer of your watch lol? Also you say sorry to ask dumb questions, what’s your question?
Exactly
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 09:50 PM   #24
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Thanks Chad, now I’ve got coffee stains on my shirt
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2019, 10:31 PM   #25
RX0
"TRF" Member

That is the older style warranty card. The current warranty card is the one with magnetic strip like a credit card. Even you buy a new old stock, they will comes with the new style warranty card.
RX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 12:33 AM   #26
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Indeed. This thread has raised more questions than I fear will be answered.

The "over-writing" is curious...why take the time to tamper with the City/State as well?

I haven't been this confused in quite some time.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:04 AM   #27
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I actually think that the number 2 has been over-written on whatever was below that as opposed to the 2 being made to look like an 8.

If the tale is accurate and you have sold the watch I'd say the ship has sailed for ANY kind of come back on the jeweller, just my opinion, the issue with the dated warranty card could well be with the buyer you sold the watch to now, depending on how you presented the watch to the new owner.
Old 16 January 2019, 01:23 AM   #28
mfm22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 1
And the point is ??
mfm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 01:59 AM   #29
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm lost... why or what is the OP's concern?
OP sold the watch off to another person knowing WC maybe fraudulent?

I'm confused.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2019, 02:28 AM   #30
Seibei
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
He'll have a hard time getting a refund considering he already sold the watch.
Sorry, I missed that part. In that case I don't understand this whole situation at all. I can't see how the OP expects a refund for something he already sold.

Perhaps he would like to explain this and also why he sold an item that seems to have a fraudulent history. Does that not make the OP a fraudster?