The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 6 January 2010, 08:08 PM   #1
Rollieboy

Watch: 16600
Icon5 Two Submariner questions

Hi,

For you WISs out there :).

1. I can't seem to hear any "it's fully wound" 'click' when winding my M-serial 16610. With ETA movements I could always hear a faint sound indicating that the movement is fully wound. With the Sub I can't hear anything. The other day I was worried of overwinding it as I was looking to hear that sound, but I guess that protection mechanism prevents this, no matter how many full revs you wind it. Right?

Should there be a sound coming from the "clutch" indicating that it's fully wound, or is Rolex just completely silent there when fully wound? Maybe it's my imagination but I think the winding sound might have changed just a tiny bit at one point, but still there is no clear audible click as in ETAs I've had.

2. I have repeatedly tried to set my watch in time in a way that the minute hand is exactly over the marker when the second hand is at 12.

I have read the "how to set time on Rolex" instruction, and have tried the method outlined there to overcome the play in the minute hand. However, I have noticed that if I follow that instruction to the letter, I will get the desired minute-second hand synch for a few minutes, say 10-20minutes, and after that the synch starts to disappear slowly.

Is it normal that when at first the synch of those markers and minute+second hands is there, that a little later the minute hand is no longer in synch?

How can I adjust the 3135 to have those hands stay in synch to each other?

Thanks!

- Rollieboy
Rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2010, 08:55 PM   #2
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieboy View Post
The other day I was worried of overwinding it as I was looking to hear that sound, but I guess that protection mechanism prevents this, no matter how many full revs you wind it. Right?

It is not possible to over-wind any automatic wind watch. The mainspring is not attached to the barrel but rides on indents in its inner diameter. When the spring is fully wound, it slips inside the barrel.

Rolex barrel indents are probably a different shape than the ETA's, hence the slight click in the ETA movements when fully wound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.mainspring & barrel.jpg (38.5 KB, 227 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Alcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
Because of the inherent play in the gears you will never get them to stay lined up indefinately so don't waste your time trying. Bring your sweep second hand to 12 pull out the stem set the hands to the next minute coming up when it gets there push in the crown your now in sinc with what ever timing device you set it 2 I use a little radio shack atomic desk clock to time my stuff works for me. Rik
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Rollieboy

Watch: 16600
Thank you both for your great answers!

So I guess when the watch really is fully wound, the winder turns a bit "rough", but there is no clear "click" for when the clutch starts to operate?

- Rollieboy
Rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote