The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2017, 03:28 PM   #31
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
I had Nikon. Decided I didn’t like lugging around a camera bag. Sold it all off. The new Sony full frame stuff is really impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddymunster View Post
Go with Sony. Lighter package. A6000 or A6300 are good starter mirrorless. If you have the funds full frame a7ii is good value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Undoubtedly Sony make some great cameras. The new A7riii looks like a crazily good piece of kit.

I’d be interested to know what lenses you like for Sony DSLRs these days. It’s been some time since I looked into this last, but at that time the selection didn’t wow me, but I know that they’ve been deepening their offering
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2017, 03:59 PM   #32
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
95% of the shot is the photographer’s eye in composition and technical skill, and post processing. A veteran will produce a greater result with a D70 versus a hobbyist with a D850. Keep that in mind before you spend $5k on a set up.
I still have my D70 still works great, last I looked.

Darned thing cost a bomb when Nikon released it, could've bought a Daytona instead.

But that very body was with me in the delivery room documenting the births of both my kids so I think I've gotten fair value out of it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox View Post
I don't really have any friends who shoot or I would share with so that's not much of a consideration.
You should find some more new friends.

A lot of mine shoot Nikon... very handy! Very good to have a lens pool. Or these days, many also have spare old bodies we'd happily lend out for other friends to try DSLR.

I occasionally sniff around forums like dpreview & kenrockwell. Haven't checked what's new for a while, avoiding the temptation otherwise I'll easily find something else I want to buy.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 02:28 AM   #33
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I'd first ask some other questions:

1. How much will you have this camera on you? Reason: Weight, portability, etc.
2. Does the "latest and greatest" matter to you? (Tilt Screen, Wireless connectivity, etc)
3. Budget?
4. Do you mind switching lenses or would you prefer 1 or 2 zooms that cover a large focal range?
5. How much low light capability do you want/need?
6. How much highspeed action do you want/need to shoot?(Sports, auto, etc.)
7. Do you care about video capabilities?
8. How much are you willing to learn how to use the functions of a DSLR?

The list could go on.

I starting with a DLSR in 2005. I bought a Canon Rebel XT new with some pretty crappy lenses. At the time I was excited, but quickly hit a wall with the performance of the "kit" lenses. Ever since then, I've owned better equipment, but almost all used. 40D, 5DII, 7D. Once I got married and had kids, I didn't do as much shooting as I was before, so I trimmed down my gear list. After the 7D gave me some issues this year, I sold it along with all my lenses.

I ended up buying a used Nikon D3300 with quite a few extras for $425. I sold my 7D kit for $600+

The lightweight of the D3300 means I can carry it around much easier, especially with a young one in my arms. I found myself not taking the 7D with me as much because of the weight. I'm also pleasantly surprised at the sharpness of the D3300. I did sell some of the kit lenses to get a more specialized(MACRO) for watches and watch parts. But I still have very little invested in this setup. For what I need, it works perfect. If I could add anything it would probably be an Ultra-Wide angle or a long telephoto.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 04:01 AM   #34
rbox
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
You should find some more new friends.
Yeah really!
rbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 04:02 AM   #35
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
As many have already said Canon and Nikon are pretty much on par.

Anyway, if portability is a concern I would go mirrorless. Sony and Fuji have solid offerings in this space.
Canon is catching up but native lens offering is still limited.

If you want to stay on DSLR and not break the bank, I would suggest a Canon 80D and the mighty 50mm f1.8 to start with. Eventually you will have to add a wide angle for architecture/landscape and a tele for portraits but with this basic setup you can start to learn what it is important for you and go from there.
I'm intrigued by the mirrorless offerings. I'm in no way stuck on DSLR, it's just a term I remember but it may not really mean anything now. I'm all for portability.
Old 15 November 2017, 04:03 AM   #36
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaynyc View Post
95% of the shot is the photographer’s eye in composition and technical skill, and post processing. A veteran will produce a greater result with a D70 versus a hobbyist with a D850. Keep that in mind before you spend $5k on a set up.
I agree, just looking to pick a brand or system I will want to grow with.
Old 15 November 2017, 04:15 AM   #37
rbox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
I'd first ask some other questions:

The list could go on.

I starting with a DLSR in 2005. I bought a Canon Rebel XT new with some pretty crappy lenses. At the time I was excited, but quickly hit a wall with the performance of the "kit" lenses. Ever since then, I've owned better equipment, but almost all used. 40D, 5DII, 7D. Once I got married and had kids, I didn't do as much shooting as I was before, so I trimmed down my gear list. After the 7D gave me some issues this year, I sold it along with all my lenses.

I ended up buying a used Nikon D3300 with quite a few extras for $425. I sold my 7D kit for $600+

The lightweight of the D3300 means I can carry it around much easier, especially with a young one in my arms. I found myself not taking the 7D with me as much because of the weight. I'm also pleasantly surprised at the sharpness of the D3300. I did sell some of the kit lenses to get a more specialized(MACRO) for watches and watch parts. But I still have very little invested in this setup. For what I need, it works perfect. If I could add anything it would probably be an Ultra-Wide angle or a long telephoto.
I don't really have any intentions of walking around with a camera, even on vacation I will probably rely on my phone more than anything. I do however value being able to pack it all in a case if necessary.

2. Does the "latest and greatest" matter to you? (Tilt Screen, Wireless connectivity, etc)
I never cared much for latest and greatest. I'm not much of a wireless guy, but I would like tilt screen. I'm the type who would rather pick up an outgoing top of the line model that has had all the bugs worked out than to test the latest and greatest.

3. Budget?
$500-1000 to start.

4. Do you mind switching lenses or would you prefer 1 or 2 zooms that cover a large focal range?
I don't really see a need right now to build up a collection of lenses, but I would like to have the ability to swap lenses if desired.

Many of my shots will be indoors under different lighting conditions, so I want a camera with decent low light capability.

I probably won't be shooting sports or action much at least for another few years, so that's not much of a consideration on this one.

It would be nice to have decent video capabilities but not an absolute requirement.

I'm very technical and a fast learner. I've waited years to make the decision to devote some time to learning this hobby, so this shouldn't be a problem. I have a basic understanding of raw files, lighting and color and am intermediate in Photoshop post-processing.
Old 15 November 2017, 04:17 AM   #38
rbox
"TRF" Member

Wow, lots of good information, tips and suggestions here. I appreciate all the responses and am taking them all into consideration!
Old 15 November 2017, 04:25 AM   #39
explodingtaco
"TRF" Member

I shoot Nikon specifically a D750 but have had many of their cameras for the last 12 years. I choose their Simi-pro models because they support older used glass.

However, that is not what I recommend for new photographers. Get a DX body with a 35mm prime (and maybe a zoom if you HAVE to). Better yet get the Fuji x100f or x100t. It has a fixed 35mm equivalent and is simply an amazing camera. It forces you to think about what you shoot and more importantly being a “wider” lens requires you to get closer to your subjects. I find this is the hardest thing about taking pictures at first: Getting Close.

I have owned a few x100 series and it would have been enough for me for my first few years until I knew what else I needed.

Edit:
Also, the x100 series give you professional quality colors and depth of field because of the amazing sensor and lens. A cheap DSLR with a kit lens will simply not do that. I only own prime (non-zoom) lenses because of their quality vs a simlularly or even much more expensive zoom. Just google X100/x100s/x100t/x100f images and be blown away.

Edit #2:
Get an iPhone 8plus and forgo the camera all together. Practise for a year and then you will have a better idea of what you want to shoot. The dual lens iPhone is very good as long as the lighting is ok. To fund my watches and just see what would happen I went iPhone only for a year and it really pushed my skills. But I simply could not do what a “real” camera could so getting a real camera is never a bad idea.

Last edited by explodingtaco; 15 November 2017 at 04:39 AM.. Reason: New Thoughts
explodingtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 04:55 AM   #40
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by explodingtaco View Post
I shoot Nikon specifically a D750 but have had many of their cameras for the last 12 years. I choose their Simi-pro models because they support older used glass.

However, that is not what I recommend for new photographers. Get a DX body with a 35mm prime (and maybe a zoom if you HAVE to). Better yet get the Fuji x100f or x100t. It has a fixed 35mm equivalent and is simply an amazing camera. It forces you to think about what you shoot and more importantly being a “wider” lens requires you to get closer to your subjects. I find this is the hardest thing about taking pictures at first: Getting Close.

I have owned a few x100 series and it would have been enough for me for my first few years until I knew what else I needed.

Edit:
Also, the x100 series give you professional quality colors and depth of field because of the amazing sensor and lens. A cheap DSLR with a kit lens will simply not do that. I only own prime (non-zoom) lenses because of their quality vs a simlularly or even much more expensive zoom. Just google X100/x100s/x100t/x100f images and be blown away.

Edit #2:
Get an iPhone 8plus and forgo the camera all together. Practise for a year and then you will have a better idea of what you want to shoot. The dual lens iPhone is very good as long as the lighting is ok. To fund my watches and just see what would happen I went iPhone only for a year and it really pushed my skills.
But I simply could not do what a “real” camera could so getting a real camera is never a bad idea.
I have a Canon 30D DSLR and a couple Canon L series lenses and I don't bother taking it anywhere anymore. I've been traveling more the last few years but honestly, it is just too bulky and I don't want to drag it through airports and carry it around all the places we have gone. I carry a small point and shoot for those tasks or just use my phone.

I still want a 6D at some point. I might pick one up soon as the prices have come down to a reasonable level and I could pass my 30D on to my Mom.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:14 AM   #41
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
I don't really have any intentions of walking around with a camera, even on vacation I will probably rely on my phone more than anything. I do however value being able to pack it all in a case if necessary.

I never cared much for latest and greatest. I'm not much of a wireless guy, but I would like tilt screen. I'm the type who would rather pick up an outgoing top of the line model that has had all the bugs worked out than to test the latest and greatest.

3. Budget?
$500-1000 to start.

I don't really see a need right now to build up a collection of lenses, but I would like to have the ability to swap lenses if desired.

Many of my shots will be indoors under different lighting conditions, so I want a camera with decent low light capability.

I probably won't be shooting sports or action much at least for another few years, so that's not much of a consideration on this one.

It would be nice to have decent video capabilities but not an absolute requirement.

I'm very technical and a fast learner. I've waited years to make the decision to devote some time to learning this hobby, so this shouldn't be a problem. I have a basic understanding of raw files, lighting and color and am intermediate in Photoshop post-processing.
I think that D5600 with two kit lens is perfect for your budget.

I wouldn't worry about the raw. not at all, for years to come.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:38 AM   #42
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
The Fuji XT2 in particular looks to be a great camera and I really like the looks of the selection of glass that they offer.
I am a full on Fuji fanboi. Currently have the X-T2, X-Pro2 and X-T20. Best system for my purposes.

OP - Honestly all cameras are good today - it's a matter of degree and matching the system strengths to your needs. If I needed a full frame system I'd give the Sony A7R3 a look. Overkill for my needs though.

If you value video - the Panasonic Micro 4/3rds cameras are well regarded.

Have fun - do your research - touch and play with them before you pull the trigger. For me the direct controls of the Fuji combined with the excellent lens lineup, colors straight out of the camera and an EVF that is a full on WYSIWHG experience makes shooting a joy.

I second explodingtaco's recommendation on the X100 series. That was my introduction into "real" cameras and led to a complete immersion into the system.
lig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:39 AM   #43
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree, just looking to pick a brand or system I will want to grow with.
I am a Nikon person, and currently have a 7100. It fits your budget as you can find the body for sub $500. As for lenses, I have an Nikon 18-200mm which is a great all-around lens that I have had for over 10 years now. It is a do-it-all lens that produces a good enough result.

I also have a 50mm 1.4 that rarely gets used but it is a fun piece of glass for sure.

I would hold both Canon, and Nikon and see which layout you prefer.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:39 AM   #44
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the raw. not at all, for years to come.
Yeah, concentrate on getting the best shot first.

Everything else (cropping, colour/balance/exposure adjustment, digital filters) is JUST A BANDAID they're handy to rescue your situation after you've failed to get that shot that simply Wows you without any adjustment.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:48 AM   #45
raulpsanch12
"TRF" Member

Watch: es & Watches &....
I prefer Canon and new or used is up to you. Depends on how used, even refurbished could be a good way to go.
raulpsanch12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:55 AM   #46
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:

3. Budget?
$500-1000 to start.

I'd say a Nikon D5500 would be a good fit. Has the tilt screen. Great DX Sensor. Seeing kits on Craigslist for around $600 with a couple kits lenses and a 35mm f/1.8. Play with the zooms and then sell if you need to. The 35mm is a very nice lens for the price. I have one currently on my D3300 and love it. But, if the low light performance is really a need, you'd probably be better off with an FX body, and then you start to approach your budget with ONLY a body or maybe one lens.

Also, you said you use Photoshop. But, have you used Lightroom? It's a really streamline way to edit images. Not as much manipulation as Photoshop, but for simple editing, it's very quick and easy.
Old 15 November 2017, 07:14 AM   #47
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulpsanch12 View Post
I prefer Canon and new or used is up to you. Depends on how used, even refurbished could be a good way to go.
I prefer Canon as well but really there isn't a whole lot separating Canon and Nikon in terms of functionality, price or picture quality. Really, you can't go wrong with either one and one is not better than the other... no matter what some of the Nikon or Canon fanboys will tell you.

I just happened to start off with Canon gear and lenses so that is what I stick with. Camera bodies come and go but the lenses you can use for decades.

White lenses are cool though.
Old 15 November 2017, 07:40 AM   #48
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I prefer Canon as well but really there isn't a whole lot separating Canon and Nikon in terms of functionality, price or picture quality. Really, you can't go wrong with either one and one is not better than the other... no matter what some of the Nikon or Canon fanboys will tell you.

I just happened to start off with Canon gear and lenses so that is what I stick with. Camera bodies come and go but the lenses you can use for decades.

White lenses are cool though.

Coming from a Canon since 2005 to a Nikon this year, I can say they both have their ups and downs over the years. There are a few things I prefer about Canon over the Nikon and vice versa. I have to say I'm really impressed with the sharpness of the D3300 since they removed the low-pass filter. Especially with the 35mm prime lens.
Old 15 November 2017, 08:55 AM   #49
mschafer
"TRF" Member

I don't think the brand makes a difference on paper. First look at the accessories and lenses available, anything you potentially would like in the future, Nikon and Canon are here basically on the same wavelength. Next up, full frame (aka 35mm) image sensor or crop (APS-C). Once you're settled on this, create a budget, the lenses are what you keep longest these days, cameras get updated every 2 years. A nice allrounder is a 24-105, Canon has a f4 with Image stabilization, Vers. II was introduced this year, absolutely great. Also, you'll need memory cards, I love Sandisk, never any problems. Oh, and a solid backup system, 2 external drives for 2 copies...But back to cameras, get your hands on comparable bodies and see what feels best and makes the most sense to you re. operation. Canon seems a bit more streamlined, Nikon some more buttons for direct control. From my experience I can recommend Canon 5D series, now Mark IV (or 1DX II, sorry but thats what I know), but the current line up from Sony A7/9 has some convincing technology (From experience I can recommend the A7RII and A9 along with the 2.8 zooms), but they're a little pricy. And don't forget the used market, as technology gets upgraded a lot of photographers sell their stuff on eBay, forum or via reputable local photo dealers (if you're in a bigger city that might be a good source, NYC: Fotocare and BH). And don't listed too much from the semi pro pixel peepers, there's always something better (and around the corner), just go and take great photographs...
mschafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:01 AM   #50
j0oftheworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
If I may echo some comments here:
Maybe start out with something lightweight/portable that will also let you learn the manual functions of a bigger camera before taking the plunge.

My Lumix LX7 was introduced 5yrs ago but it's now a $250 camera ($500new), has manual functions, great aperture F1.4 - F2.3, flash shoe, nice sensor, great low light perf, and fits in your pocket.
Even if you buy a DSLR these are still great travel cameras and I'm sure most of the guys here still own something similar.

Sample photos, low light, full light, onboard flash etc..

[/url]

Mr Bond, I suppose you wouldn't care to... um... raise the limit?
I have no objections. Looks like you're out to get me.
It's an idea, at that.
j0oftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:03 AM   #51
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
Coming from a Canon since 2005 to a Nikon this year, I can say they both have their ups and downs over the years. There are a few things I prefer about Canon over the Nikon and vice versa. I have to say I'm really impressed with the sharpness of the D3300 since they removed the low-pass filter. Especially with the 35mm prime lens.
I have too much invested in lenses so there is no way I would switch at this point. If you're using cheap kit lenses then yeah, switching brands is no big deal I guess, but I have lenses that cost twice what a D3300 kit (body and lens) costs.

I've never used a Nikon DSLR personally.
Old 15 November 2017, 09:16 AM   #52
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
If you go Nikon I will say get a used FX and a ED lens. IMHO stay away from the kit lens.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:41 AM   #53
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I have too much invested in lenses so there is no way I would switch at this point. If you're using cheap kit lenses then yeah, switching brands is no big deal I guess, but I have lenses that cost twice what a D3300 kit (body and lens) costs.

I've never used a Nikon DSLR personally.
Yeah 10 years ago it wouldn't have made sense. I used to have quite a few lenses. I think at one point I had at least $3500 worth of glass. But, up to the point when I sold my Canon gear I had only a couple lenses. So, I decided to make the switch. The nice thing about the nicer lenses is you can usually get your money back out of them. Especially if you bought used to begin with. But, for someones starting out, even a couple cheap f/1.8 primes is a really nice place to start. At one point my setup was ONLY primes, and I love it. Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8, and an old manual 135mm f/2 lens I adapted.
Old 15 November 2017, 03:50 PM   #54
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
I have always been a Nikon fan and have been using a Nikon D7000 since it came out with current lenses being 1. Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D and 2. AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:33 PM   #55
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I’m a Sony fan and currently use a couple of the A7 series cameras with a wide assortment of lenses. Have a look at the a6300 and a6500. For someone coming from using cell phone cameras and with a strong tech background, they may be a good fit. Start with the included 16-50mm kit lens. a6500 would be perfect but above your stated budget. a6300 is in budget, but you’d be giving up 5-axis stabilization and touchscreen focus point selection, which I think are worth the premium.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:28 AM   #56
rbox
"TRF" Member

I have been doing some research and taking all of your suggestions into consideration and I have narrowed my search down to two models- The Panasonic LX100 and the Sony A6000.

I gave up on DSLR since it seems this may be an outgoing or unnecessarily complex technology for my needs.

The A6000 seems to have some advantages over the LX100- one being a better and faster autofocus system and an interchangeable lens. It seems the fixed lens on the Panasonic may be better than the kit lens included with the A6000 though. I do still hold some brand loyalty to Panasonic.. Their products always seem to be high quality and well engineered, but I'm concerned the LX100 may be designed as a point-and-shoot for the enthusiast and have a steeper learning curve to get the same basic results as the Sony.

Again, I appreciate the all of the suggestions and you guys will be some of the first to know when I finally pull the trigger!
Old 18 November 2017, 06:35 PM   #57
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Nice thing about the a6000 with 16-50 lens is that you don’t have a dead end system. If you choose to buy another lens for it down the road and decide you’ve outgrown the camera, you can use your lenses on more recent releases. Looks like a6000 kits are around $545 new and surely less used or refurbished. That leaves room to get a larger aperture fixed focal length (prime) lens. You can go with Sony, Zeiss, or Sigma branded lenses that focus well with that camera. I really liked the bang for the buck the small and lightweight Sigma lenses offered, especially the 60mm f/2.8 lens for portraits and 19mm f/2.8 for an iPhone like filed of view, with much better image quality of course.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 11:34 AM   #58
rouxeny
"TRF" Member

Honestly, the brand and camera are essentially meaningless if you are really starting as a true beginner.

The best thing is to not obsess about equipment, buy something cheap but functional, and invest time and money into your own photographic education. And by that I mean buy and read "Understanding Exposure", read your camera's manual, and sign up for a beginning photo class online or at your local community college.

I'd say 75% of my friends that have bought a "real" camera gave up on it within a year because they didn't want to take the time to learn how to use it, and they realized that on all the automatic settings, their "real" camera wasn't taking any better pictures than their iPhones were.

Once you can have a cogent discussion about things like ISO, f-stop, aperture, shutter speed, DOF, rule of thirds, etc, then you'll KNOW what direction your photography is pulling you and will be much more able to figure out what kind of equipment will help you get there.
rouxeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2017, 12:45 PM   #59
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Starter DSLR- Canon, Nikon or other?

I’m in no way a camera expert but my sister was the student photographer for the University of Alabama Student Paper and she always loved Nikon. That was a few years ago but she still gets them when she upgrades. Not sure if it’s bc she can keep using the same lenses or what but she loves them.

I get on YouTube quite a bit and a lot of those guys are using some kind of Sony but I think I heard one of them say it was around $35k or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote