Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > New Members

Old 15 November 2017, 04:38 PM   #1
All.Wong
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16523 Diam
Hello From New York City - A story to share

Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

Scroll to Bottom for a Condensed Version

I'm going to be straight up and honest with you all, i only signed up because i have a story i wanted to share and hopefully a place where i won't be "Boo'd" off. I guess the best confession i can begin with is that i'm a "Former" owner of a Rolex Watch, Specifically a Two Tone Daytona 16523 With Gold Faced Diamond dial. i didn't sell or traded it off but rather it was abruptly taken from me and i'm sick of hearing all my friends and family either telling me "Oh Boo Hoo, Another rich boy loses a expensive watch" or to "Get Over it already" so hopefully, i can find a more supportive crowd in you fine and wonderful folk. Maybe i am acting a little too sentimental or they're being insensitive but i guess i'll leave it up to this forum to decide for me. If there's anyone who can be a defining factor on this, it's you guys.

The watch that i had was stolen from my car a few months back. I live over in Brooklyn and late at night, someone broke into my car and made off with my bag where i keep my laptop, the Rolex and everything i had that was business related. i live in a fairly nice and safe neighborhood where most of the homeowners are either middle or upper class but i guess that i can't really consider it "Safe" anymore now that this has happened. The thief made off with 2 Off Branded GoPro cameras as well but it doesn't really hurt as much as losing that watch. After losing that watch, every business meeting or everywhere i go, my eyes would always fly towards a person's wrist, mainly during a handshake and whenever i do see it, there would be a sudden surge of gloominess for me. i can't help it. it's been close to 4 months since that happened and i still can't move on.

The watch was actually given to me by my father, roughly 6 years ago back when i completed my first job in the family business at the age of 20. I don't know if anyone here knows about the Chinese culture but the Chinese people have this mentality where to actually wear a expensive watch is a sign of "Being able to earn money on your own" or "Being Successful" (Hence, China & Hong Kong has a HUGE market there) and the time when my father gave it to me was a pretty significant event in my life. it was a sign that i can come out into the world on my own. it was validation from my own father that i can lead my own projects and earn money by myself. you guys might laugh at those jokes on family guy about Asian parents but for me, i hardly ever laugh cause it's all true. it ment a lot to me. Honestly, to have it taken from me felt like i lost my sense of worth.

I always used to wear it on my left hand, With the dial on the inside of my wrist. i find it easier should i need to carry something or pressing the buttons on the Cosmograph. Besides, i felt like it was a Blue collar thing and it made sense. I've taken that watch with me everywhere i went and traveled. I went on a backpacked eurotrip with it. I went across the United States with it. Romania, Bulgaria, Germany, France, Italy, Turkey, Belgium, Spain, Las Vegas, New Orleans, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Montauk and everywhere else i was hoping to go to. Thinking back now, It's kinda funny how i didn't get it stolen during my trip half way across the world, but i had it stolen from right in front of my home. i had so many great memories with that watch besides me and now that it's gone, i can't help but feel a part of me is missing.

Now whenever i go out and meet people, my eyes always fly to their wrist to see if they have a watch, and if they do, i always check to see if it's a rolex. the depression literally hits me in waves to the point where the person i'm with always asks if i'm alright. Clearly i'm showing it on my face too much but it does bother me to the point in which i need a minute to digress every time. most of the time when they ask and i tell them, they pretty much tell me to move on already or they scoff and and move on themselves. The only thing that anybody remotely told me about the watch that genuinely cheered me up was my best friend telling me that "Hey, Look on the bright side, Now you can go a head and earn a better one". It cheered me up a little bit, but to be honest, it still nags at me every now and then that the one of the most important item given to me was stolen. Well, that's pretty much the end of my rant from here, Am i over reacting and just move on or is there really isn't something wrong with me and clearly it's the people telling me to get over it that's the problem?

TL;DR (Too Long, Didn't Read) - I had my Two Tone Daytona 16523 Diamond stolen but friends and family are telling me to move on and clearly i can't. am i being too much of a crybaby about it?
All.Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 03:25 AM   #2
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

sorry to hear your story..

yes..leaving it in the car in a duffel bag was not a good idea...

time to work extra hard and make the $$ and buy yourself a replacement..

good luck
Old 16 November 2017, 03:47 AM   #3
MonBK
Banned

Welcome
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 04:56 AM   #4
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Welcome

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:08 PM   #5
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Welcome aboard~~
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2017, 01:29 PM   #6
T4ME
"TRF" Member

What made you think it was safe to leave the watch in the car? If this was routine someone could have been watching you and took advantage. What did your Dad say?
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 03:04 AM   #7
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Welcome and sorry.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 11:15 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
welcome
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2017, 11:41 PM   #9
Emmanuel69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Very unfortunate! Sorry to hear this. How long have you been living in NYC ? It’s almost a part of living here if you haven’t had your car broken into at least once or nearly mugged no matter what neighborhood you live in. I had my car broken into once as well, all my papers i had in my glove compartment were scattered everywhere inside and out on the street and all the change I had stolen. Same to both my parents cars through the years! Sad to hear this and feel your pain. Good luck.
Emmanuel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 12:53 AM   #10
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Thank you for reminding me why I should never visit Crooklyn.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:20 AM   #11
Audemars Piguet
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Welcome
Audemars Piguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 05:29 AM   #12
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Its a hard lesson to learn but NEVER leave valuables in your car. The pain will fade in time, and diminish once another Rolex hits your wrist. And who knows, the daytona may show up in the future. Good luck.
antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 09:39 AM   #13
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Welcome sorry about the loss of the watch I guess it means get back in the saddle and acquire one to replace it
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 08:37 PM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Welcome

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 12:30 AM   #15
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All.Wong View Post
... i can't help it. it's been close to 4 months since that happened and i still can't move on.

The watch was actually given to me by my father, roughly 6 years ago back when i completed my first job in the family business at the age of 20. I don't know if anyone here knows about the Chinese culture but the Chinese people have this mentality where to actually wear a expensive watch is a sign of "Being able to earn money on your own" or "Being Successful" (Hence, China & Hong Kong has a HUGE market there) and the time when my father gave it to me was a pretty significant event in my life. it was a sign that i can come out into the world on my own. it was validation from my own father that i can lead my own projects and earn money by myself. you guys might laugh at those jokes on family guy about Asian parents but for me, i hardly ever laugh cause it's all true. it ment a lot to me. Honestly, to have it taken from me felt like i lost my sense of worth.

Am i over reacting and just move on or is there really isn't something wrong with me and clearly it's the people telling me to get over it that's the problem?
Yeah, shit happens.

#1 rule is Don't leave anything in your car that could get stolen.

Especially things possibly worth more than the car

I assume you've told your father of the loss?

I'm surprised daddy hasn't replaced the watch yeah, very Asian practice.

That'll solve your issue won't it?

----

btw have you listed your lost piece with Rolex as stolen?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 07:43 AM   #16
rolehex
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear. We all make mistakes but luckily your's didn't injure anyone or yourself. :)
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote