The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2017, 09:26 AM   #1
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
Anyone vinyl wrap their car?

I'm thinking about doing this to my car. It is white but I'd like to go with a matte grey or metallic grey.

The car has black interior so really any color would go with the interior color I have now. Really interested in hearing from people who have done this. What did it cost? Are you happy with the results? How long did it last?

Thanks TRF!
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Canefan1
Banned

I’ve only seen it done for advertisement purposes. This is the first on hearing it for personal purposes. Good luck.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 09:58 AM   #3
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
A few guys here have done it. I am debating on doing it to my new one when my order comes in next month.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 10:11 AM   #4
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Not sure what it cost. Couple thousand if I had to guess. I like the idea as you can just peel it off and start over or go back to stock finish. And the ones I have seen are a matte finish, which is cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 10:12 AM   #5
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
One of my employees wrapped his F150. It looks cool as hell.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 10:24 AM   #6
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Not sure what it cost. Couple thousand if I had to guess. I like the idea as you can just peel it off and start over or go back to stock finish. And the ones I have seen are a matte finish, which is cool.

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that if I do this, if I can find a place around here that will actually answer their damned phone, I'll go with a matte grey finish.

I've sent out 3 e-mails and called a couple different places. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. TAKE MY MONEY DAMMIT!!!
Old 18 November 2017, 11:08 AM   #7
s14roller
"TRF" Member

In SD, I'd talk to Mark @ Chapparone autobody and see where he points you...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chapparone-...ting-san-diego
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 01:09 PM   #8
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
The price will vary GREATLY on many factors (full color change with instep color change etc) what happens with emblems, grills, etc.

Ask what material they use. I wouldn't settle for anything other than Avery, 3M, Oracal. (in that order)

If done right, it can look great.
Like people said, it's usually for advertisement purposes, but color change is not unusual, if people can afford it.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
What about plasti dip??

Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 07:15 PM   #10
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
What did it cost? Are you happy with the results? How long did it last?
rough rule of thumb A$2-3k installed for a medium sedan... more for larger 4WD or van. "Ferrari tax" does apply...

Straight (manufactured colour, not digital printed on white) calendared vinyl should be good for "up to 7y" but generally most owners get tired of the car by 2-3yrs...

Certain colours can fade if parked in high UV constantly, matte finish needs care - you probably don't want to drive it thru a car wash too often etc etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG56 View Post
Ask what material they use. I wouldn't settle for anything other than Avery, 3M, Oracal. (in that order)
I'm more Oracal, 3M, Avery

just personal preference, probably more reliance on good installer who knows how to pull it on properly than the material itself. Lots of cheap China films available these days, unproven in long run but for promo shortterm jobs - every cent counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
What about plasti dip??
Ppl paint that professionally for longterm?

haha only seen the PlasticDip rattlecans... misc DIY efforts seen to date aren't impressive, but then neither are most boyracer DIY jobs.

For proper temp paintjobs eg moviecar colour change the paint supplier sells a rubbery basecoat. Paint anything you want over it, peels off when filmcrew is done.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
rough rule of thumb A$2-3k installed for a medium sedan... more for larger 4WD or van. "Ferrari tax" does apply...

Straight (manufactured colour, not digital printed on white) calendared vinyl should be good for "up to 7y" but generally most owners get tired of the car by 2-3yrs...

Certain colours can fade if parked in high UV constantly, matte finish needs care - you probably don't want to drive it thru a car wash too often etc etc

I'm more Oracal, 3M, Avery

just personal preference, probably more reliance on good installer who knows how to pull it on properly than the material itself. Lots of cheap China films available these days, unproven in long run but for promo shortterm jobs - every cent counts.

Ppl paint that professionally for longterm?

haha only seen the PlasticDip rattlecans... misc DIY efforts seen to date aren't impressive, but then neither are most boyracer DIY jobs.

For proper temp paintjobs eg moviecar colour change the paint supplier sells a rubbery basecoat. Paint anything you want over it, peels off when filmcrew is done.

There's more professional ways to plasti dip a car. My neighbor leaves his plasti dipped Z outside every day. Full body kit and the lot. It's an iridescent navy blue with some carbon fiber trim. I have no idea why he leaves it outside but that's the way it is. Been years like that.

About 16 years ago I spent about 3 hours 3m vinyl wrapping the roof of my B5 Audi S4. Never again lol. What a b!tch that was.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Old 18 November 2017, 08:32 PM   #12
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
rough rule of thumb A$2-3k installed for a medium sedan... more for larger 4WD or van. "Ferrari tax" does apply... .
The car is a 2014 Mercedes E550 Coupe. It is white with black leather interior. I think it would really pop with a matte grey finish. Also, it has the panorama moonroof so it doesn’t need anything done to the roof of the car which would cut the amount of material needed down but probably not the labor as the roof is probably one of the easier surfaces on a car to wrap.

Old 18 November 2017, 08:53 PM   #13
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The car is a 2014 Mercedes E550 Coupe. It is white with black leather interior. I think it would really pop with a matte grey finish. Also, it has the panorama moonroof so it doesn’t need anything done to the roof of the car which would cut the amount of material needed down but probably not the labor as the roof is probably one of the easier surfaces on a car to wrap.

There's a local guy where I live with an SL63 and a chrome blue wrap that just looks insane. I would say that's where a wrap really shines. It's a pretty unforgettable car.

Old 18 November 2017, 09:56 PM   #14
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
One of my cycling buddies does this as part of his car detailing business. If done right, it looks great and protects the paint.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2017, 11:36 PM   #15
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
...and protects the paint.
It does & it doesn't

Might save some stone chips & minor scuffs but bigger scrapes still get thru & there's no way of repairing except rewrapping.

Underlying paint has to be sound or vinyl will yank the paint off when removing.

Some modern water based paint... if you wrap a brandnew unit too fresh off the assembly line, wrap adhesive leaves watermarks. (But luckily, business vehicle owners don't really seem to care...)

Installer skill plays a big part but big risk of paint nicks from sharp tools, won't see it till its removed. Most car owners might not notice either till much later. But I'm too involved in car show prepping, every pernickety detail gotta be spotted before the judges & I can't unsee what's been seen.
Old 18 November 2017, 11:51 PM   #16
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it would really pop with a matte grey finish.
Hmm... dunno. You don't think it'll look too much like grey primer?

Last time I flicked thru vinyl catalogue (some yrs back!) found some specialty film that was clear/translucent, base colour would show thru with a mica like pearlescent finish on top. Never got opportunity to try it though.
Old 18 November 2017, 11:57 PM   #17
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulansx View Post
About 16 years ago I spent about 3 hours 3m vinyl wrapping the roof of my B5 Audi S4. Never again lol. What a b!tch that was.
At least it was your own car!!

Some horrors come to mind...

#1 ever tried wrapping a 1/10 lexan shell with 1/1 vinyl? Don't...

#2 was a FD RX7... rounded jellybean shape, thought it'll be easy... but why are its panels so damned soft!? can't barely put much pressure or tension before it warps

#3 Smart ForTwo... haha pull too hard and it's panels fall off plus it's plasticky so too scared to use much heatgun.
Old 19 November 2017, 12:29 AM   #18
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Hmm... dunno. You don't think it'll look too much like grey primer?

Last time I flicked thru vinyl catalogue (some yrs back!) found some specialty film that was clear/translucent, base colour would show thru with a mica like pearlescent finish on top. Never got opportunity to try it though.
More of a satin dark grey. Not paint primer.

I’m going to drive down there this morning and check the place out and see what colors they have and how they might look on my car. I looked online and brushed titanium looks good too or maybe gloss titanium? I was also considering matte dark blue or matte dark red. I’m kind of all over the place and welcome any suggestions.

No yellow, orange or crazy colors though. I don’t want to look like a 70s pimp or a gang banger.
Old 19 November 2017, 04:44 AM   #19
SPARTAN2161
Banned

Watch: me flip
its a cool effect. There is one place local in Buffalo that does a really nice job. All sorts of finishes and colors.
SPARTAN2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 05:18 AM   #20
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I've seen some pretty awesome stuff from Fonzie. Never done one myself though.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 05:31 AM   #21
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I've seen some matte grey in La Jolla and they really look cool. IMO.

Quote:
More of a satin dark grey. Not paint primer.

I’m going to drive down there this morning and check the place out and see what colors they have and how they might look on my car. I looked online and brushed titanium looks good too or maybe gloss titanium? I was also considering matte dark blue or matte dark red. I’m kind of all over the place and welcome any suggestions.

No yellow, orange or crazy colors though. I don’t want to look like a 70s pimp or a gang banger.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 06:18 AM   #22
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
When I was a kid, had an aunt and uncle who used to wrap their couch and chairs in the living room. I suppose it kept the fabric nice for longer, but it wasn't very comfortable and it made them seem rather uptight.
Old 19 November 2017, 07:10 AM   #23
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
When I was a kid, had an aunt and uncle who used to wrap their couch and chairs in the living room. I suppose it kept the fabric nice for longer, but it wasn't very comfortable and it made them seem rather uptight.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 07:23 AM   #24
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
its the nicks and cuts ive seen put into the original paint that would be putting me off
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 09:21 AM   #25
Oldfashioned
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Whatever you do don't go matte black, it's overdone. Matte white isn't a bad option, but Id go for grey. Depending on quality of the material and the wrap, I've seen 3000-6000$
Oldfashioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 05:56 AM   #26
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
Quote:
Yeah, I'm kind of thinking that if I do this, if I can find a place around here that will actually answer their damned phone, I'll go with a matte grey finish.

I've sent out 3 e-mails and called a couple different places. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. TAKE MY MONEY DAMMIT!!!

I watch a lot of videos on YouTube about it..... so I’m pretty much and expert jk.....

From what I’ve seen about GOOD installers and REALLY BAD ONES, is dedication and patience. If they aren’t picking up their phone or writing you back..... don’t use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Relyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 06:45 AM   #27
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relyt View Post
I watch a lot of videos on YouTube about it..... so I’m pretty much and expert jk.....

From what I’ve seen about GOOD installers and REALLY BAD ONES, is dedication and patience. If they aren’t picking up their phone or writing you back..... don’t use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yeah, I think I'm going to hold off on this for a while. I don't want someone messing up the paint on my car.
Old 20 November 2017, 08:34 AM   #28
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
IMG_0159.JPG

Dark Satin Grey (Avery)

DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 09:13 AM   #29
SDRider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post
Attachment 906051

Dark Satin Grey (Avery)

That looks sweet!
Old 20 November 2017, 01:40 PM   #30
jw0n
"TRF" Member

Yes, I have:

In this part of the world, this cost me $350, so it gives you some idea of the actual cost of wrap. The difference on paper is really paper thickness and quality; the more expensive ones also give you a wider choice of colours. Beyond all that, what is most important is finishing.

In my part of the globe, the paper lasts for about 2 years; after which we are advised to remove it as the glue can start to deteriorate and may affect the car's paint. Not sure if this is true, as my wrap lasted about 12 months before I sold (and regret!) the car.

Instagram: @itsjw0n
jw0n is offline   Reply With Quote