The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 4 September 2013, 07:37 AM   #31
psv
"TRF" Member

They are hedging, it is not going to take 5 months, but probably at least 6-8 weeks. Still sucks...
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2013, 01:59 PM   #32
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
My 5167 does it too especially if it tries to change when not wound a lot or in a weird position like crown down. My 5146 doesn't stick at all. Need to take my 5167 in.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Misterchan
"TRF" Member

Only got a promise to "try our best" to complete before Xmas and a fresh warranty. Nothing else.

For a company that has a commitment to customer service "try our best" and taking several months to fix a fault is not good enough.
Misterchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2013, 08:57 PM   #34
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterchan View Post
Only got a promise to "try our best" to complete before Xmas and a fresh warranty. Nothing else.

For a company that has a commitment to customer service "try our best" and taking several months to fix a fault is not good enough.
Wow! Shocking! Here I am contemplating my first PP, and for that price, that's the best they can do. Now I'm unsure if I want a piece of that nightmare!

Rolex has been good for me...so I may be better off with the devil I know.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2013, 10:47 PM   #35
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
first world problems.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2013, 11:12 PM   #36
Puffy
"TRF" Member

do a google search, trf search or over on purist pro or even filthy timezone.

quite a few 324 owners with this date issue

i wonder if it is caused by wild winding and date change outside 6pm

i have a few with 324 and no issues. changes almost bang on time

preacher, recall i mentioned this to you when yours buggered up and you nearly demanded a refund in your fit or rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by de66 View Post
Really? Its a known issue? If its known what is causing this problem?
Anybody else have had this problem?

I love the aquanaut and nautilus lines but I do have to say that I find these kind of stories diminishing the "glow" of an otherwise very respectful brand....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Patek SC here in the UK don't seem to know about this issue with the 324. Or else they would've known how to fix mine the first time I sent it in. May I ask who exactly is it known by?

OP, request the SC to do a full service and to change all calender parts. When they just changed my date disc, it did not resolve the issue.
Old 5 September 2013, 11:45 PM   #37
Preacher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
preacher, recall i mentioned this to you when yours buggered up and you nearly demanded a refund in your fit or rage
Yes you mentioned it to me as you've mentioned a few times on this site but according to Patek UK its not a known issue at Patek uk sc or at Patek Geneve.
Old 6 September 2013, 12:01 AM   #38
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Yes you mentioned it to me as you've mentioned a few times on this site but according to Patek UK its not a known issue at Patek uk sc or at Patek Geneve.
certainly known on the forums

i don't think they would ever 'admit' there is a known issue with a movement, although the number of incidents are probably really low and potentially owner inflicted anyway

i've seen how some of these ads, in particular m&w treat their watches. one gave a 5164 such a wild wind i thought it would catch fire
Old 6 September 2013, 12:12 AM   #39
Misterchan
"TRF" Member

Puffy great insights, thanks.

Do we wind with kid gloves very very gently?
Old 6 September 2013, 02:20 AM   #40
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Puffy great insights, thanks.

Do we wind with kid gloves very very gently?
no worries

compare the delicate work-of-art patek movement to rolex's rough-as-guts movement

the 324 is not meant to be manhandled

these are expensive and fairly delicate, hand-assembled timepieces. common sense tells you to be careful, at least i am.

imo a rolex can take more abuse than a patek although i would never put either to the test
Old 6 September 2013, 07:18 AM   #41
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
no worries

compare the delicate work-of-art patek movement to rolex's rough-as-guts movement

the 324 is not meant to be manhandled

these are expensive and fairly delicate, hand-assembled timepieces. common sense tells you to be careful, at least i am.

imo a rolex can take more abuse than a patek although i would never put either to the test
That's cool, but I have multiple watches with the same movement, one is fine and the other is borked. And yes I set the date properly.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2013, 03:11 PM   #42
topcat30093
"TRF" Member

I agree with Anders.

Having been a member for several years on a number of international watch forums. This issue with the sticking date, has been raised several times.

That been said, I guess if Patek annually produce 24,000 mechanical watches, and the 324 movement is fitted to more models than any other. Then percentage wise a few such faults, based over a year, are not going to register as a huge problem.

Personally I have owned three AC Pateks fitted with the 324 movement and I pleased to say, I never suffered with this unfortunate problem.

I hope that the OP, soon gets a satidactory conclusion.
Old 6 September 2013, 04:15 PM   #43
Misterchan
"TRF" Member

My lifestyle is more rough and guts, maybe I am not the right demographic to wear PP
Old 6 September 2013, 06:28 PM   #44
Puffy
"TRF" Member

This is the timing of one of my 324s, on the wrist for over two weeks. doesn't get much better than this.

Start
19 August 2013, 20:53:00
Check
3 September 2013, 15:42:00
Run
15 days
Off
Minus 3 sec
Day average
minus 0.2
Old 7 September 2013, 09:34 AM   #45
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

Anders is right. I was told it is caused by winding and changing the date and time after 6pm. It is not a defect but caused by user error. I know their are a lot of purist but a winder will take a majority of the used error out besides one day ever other month.
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2013, 10:20 AM   #46
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by myopiccoog View Post
Anders is right. I was told it is caused by winding and changing the date and time after 6pm. It is not a defect but caused by user error. I know their are a lot of purist but a winder will take a majority of the used error out besides one day ever other month.
Having a watch movement that you can't adjust or even wind for 6 hours of the day (25% of the time!) doesn't strike me as the height of horology. Maybe it's time for some tweaking to the design.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2013, 11:42 AM   #47
myopiccoog
"TRF" Member

Patek is know for "complicated watches" even there simple stuff is more complicated than it needs to be. We don't need watches anymore. You can tell time with your phone. Making watches is not like making a car or boat or plane. It is an art of making something mechanical or mechanically complicated. You can wind or power up the watch at any time.

Btw- pull the stem out and move it to 3 am and then Set the date. My perp Callender chrono's tell you to do so. Not sure about my nauti's. I didn't read those manuals. You only have to set date forward if it is on a winder or stays wound. Just rotate it to correct time without messing with date function.

I may also be mistaken. It may be don't change date after 9pm not 6pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
Having a watch movement that you can't adjust or even wind for 6 hours of the day (25% of the time!) doesn't strike me as the height of horology. Maybe it's time for some tweaking to the design.
myopiccoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2013, 03:35 PM   #48
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by myopiccoog View Post
If you want a machined assembled and finished watch buy a Rolex.
If you want a watch that works, will last several generations, and costs less than a Honda Accord, buy a Rolex.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2013, 04:09 PM   #49
Ignorant1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Speedking
Thank you very much for the heads up on which watch maker I can eliminate from my search of a quality watch.
This matter should have been resolved in no more than a week with the delivery of a new replacement watch.
That should have been the end of this saga . . . . . !
Ignorant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2013, 08:02 PM   #50
Misterchan
"TRF" Member

It's still with the service centre no idea on when it will be fixed. Faults happen its how they are handled that sorts the good from bad. In this case there is a complete lack of concern, the service is as mechanical as the watches. Maybe it's because it's an entry level watch so they give an economy class of service. The good stuff starts when you purchase an AC. Never again, 5711 looks good but I am not even tempted given how my case has been handled.
Old 15 September 2013, 11:44 PM   #51
Tony64
"TRF" Member

service time

Quote:
It's still with the service centre no idea on when it will be fixed. Faults happen its how they are handled that sorts the good from bad. In this case there is a complete lack of concern, the service is as mechanical as the watches. Maybe it's because it's an entry level watch so they give an economy class of service. The good stuff starts when you purchase an AC. Never again, 5711 looks good but I am not even tempted given how my case has been handled.
Actually, your service/repair time should be substantially less with a simpler model. As I understand. the more complicated pieces must go back to Geneva for servicing whereas the simpler pieces can be repaired/serviced thru their NY affiliate. Not sure where the delineation begins, and likely also depends on the type of repair required, but anything more than an AC gets shipped out and you can expect substantially longer wait time.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation, and I agree that the service response has been poor, but I think you'd get the same poor service regardless of what model you own. As an aside, that's a major reason why I lost interest in more complicated pieces and get such greater delight from my more simple selections. Fewer complications, less to go wrong. Patek is best when it comes to a classic dress watch. Give me a simple 2 hand beauty any day and I'll go years between servicing. If I need something sporty then there are better, and less troublesome, choices available. Rolex anyone?
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2013, 12:12 PM   #52
jvo300
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this situation. Thank you for sharing. Service is the number one reason that I have not (and currently never plan) to own a Patek.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2013, 01:00 PM   #53
Misterchan
"TRF" Member

I will stay well away from this brand in future. There has been no reply to any of my messages to the PPHQ all have been redirected to the HK service centre to reply and they can not confirm a date for the repair to be done. I expected a premium level of after sales service given that it's a prestige brand but the whole handling has been very cold, it's as almost as if I am imposing by taking it in to be fixed. Mechanical watches, mechanical customer service. I think you need to have a few pieces before they will provide any customer care.
Old 16 September 2013, 04:44 PM   #54
inspires
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Not sure if I agree with you believe that the lack of concern is because the reference you've sent in is entry level.

A few weeks ago, I dropped by to ask about servicing for my 3940 and was told that the wait period is 9 months. Once I heard this, I asked if they could register me on the waiting list and call me in 9 months to drop off my watch. They replied that all clients need to submit their watch to get in line for servicing.

This being said, I do find it a long time to wait and had expected a 3-6 month completion on the complete servicing.

Has anyone had an experience with servicing their PP by an independent?

Cheers,

Eric
Old 16 September 2013, 09:06 PM   #55
Israguard
"TRF" Member

I read these posts and get scared frankly. Just curious.. JLC, IWC.. They too 6-9 months for repairs?.
Israguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2013, 09:20 PM   #56
Misterchan
"TRF" Member

Hi Eric, thanks for sharing. My watch isn't in for servicing, I accept that there would be a queue and I have to wait in line for the work to be done. This is a fault on a fairly new watch still under warranty, I expect some priority is given to fast track work of this nature.

Messages to PP HQ via the website have not been responded to or acknowledged. There is either a lack of resources and/or care when it comes to customer service and fault recovery. However I have just received an acknowledgement from HQ saying they are aware of my case. I think they read this forum.
Old 17 September 2013, 02:12 PM   #57
inspires
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Hi Eric, thanks for sharing. My watch isn't in for servicing, I accept that there would be a queue and I have to wait in line for the work to be done. This is a fault on a fairly new watch still under warranty, I expect some priority is given to fast track work of this nature.

Messages to PP HQ via the website have not been responded to or acknowledged. There is either a lack of resources and/or care when it comes to customer service and fault recovery. However I have just received an acknowledgement from HQ saying they are aware of my case. I think they read this forum.
Good to hear that PP has responded and heard the noise. I am with you that if the watch is new and under warranty that they should expedite any issues with manufacture defects. Fortunately, I have not owned a PP that within warranty had any issues (knock on wood). That being said, I've owned two AP ROO's that stopped within 1 month of owning them due to dried lubricants.

I hope that PP attend to your issue quickly and swiftly. Let us know when you get updates.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 18 September 2013, 12:47 AM   #58
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:

Your experience is certainly not very encouraging to potential new PP buyers including myself. Do keep us updated on how this develops. Hope they do resolve your case soon.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2013, 04:14 AM   #59
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Actually, your service/repair time should be substantially less with a simpler model. As I understand. the more complicated pieces must go back to Geneva for servicing whereas the simpler pieces can be repaired/serviced thru their NY affiliate. Not sure where the delineation begins, and likely also depends on the type of repair required, but anything more than an AC gets shipped out and you can expect substantially longer wait time.

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation, and I agree that the service response has been poor, but I think you'd get the same poor service regardless of what model you own. As an aside, that's a major reason why I lost interest in more complicated pieces and get such greater delight from my more simple selections. Fewer complications, less to go wrong. Patek is best when it comes to a classic dress watch. Give me a simple 2 hand beauty any day and I'll go years between servicing. If I need something sporty then there are better, and less troublesome, choices available. Rolex anyone?
Not true....Henri Stern agency works on perpetual calendars i.e. 3970, 5970 etc. as well. They serviced my 3970 and the wait was 8 months. Part of the delay was the fact that they moved locations while the watch was with them. Anyways if one is looking for speedy turn around times for servicing Patek isn't the watch for them.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2013, 01:31 AM   #60
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
Not true....Henri Stern agency works on perpetual calendars i.e. 3970, 5970 etc. as well. They serviced my 3970 and the wait was 8 months. Part of the delay was the fact that they moved locations while the watch was with them. Anyways if one is looking for speedy turn around times for servicing Patek isn't the watch for them.
It's been a while since I 'simplified' my life and hadn't realized that HSWA did service/repair work for PC's. I think my point remains somewhat valid however that for the US market at least a trip overseas for one's watch will add to what we all know is already a lengthy process. Something to consider when contemplating the purchase of a grand complication. I think it greatly helps if a buyer has realistic and informed expectation of how long a trip to the spa will entail. This thread has undoubtably helped in that regard.

I would never trust a complicated Patek to anyone but the factory, and a long as the service time is understood at the time of purchase, it makes the pill a bit easier to swallow. I would be very curious to know opinions/experiences with more simply Patek servicing ie time only Calatravas and whether these more simple mechanisms could be trusted to a skilled independent watch repair.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote