The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 18 February 2015, 12:24 PM   #1
feinstei
"TRF" Member

3035 Crown Loose From Stem -- LocTite???

I have learned a lot from reading posts here and I very much appreciate that this forum exists. I have a 1980's vintage 3035 Oyster Perpetual that was given to me by my father. The crown is so loose from the stem that I could only set the time "backwards".... if I try to move "forward", the crown unscrews from the stem.

I purchased a L&J Rolex watch case opening tool from Amazon and I have the back off of the watch (it was very easy to do with the L & J tool and the instructions on YouTube).

Once I had the back off, I pressed on the correct spot near the crown/stem and pulled out the crown and the stem. Neither are damaged but the crown easily unscrews from the stem if you turn it counter-clockwise.

I read in one of the postings, that Rolex repair facilities use LocTite to fix this loose crown/stem issue.

Is there a special way to apply the LocTite or any special LocTite "formula" that I should use so that I don't wreck the watch?

I'd also appreciate any advice as far as how to "professionally" apply the LocTite so that the crown no longer unscrews from the stem yet doesn't leave globs of LocTite on the stem or crown.

Thanks for helping a beginner watch-hobbyist!

Fred E.
South Bend, IN
feinstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2015, 12:40 PM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Watchmakers Loc-tite is #221. Loctite #222 is also a low-hold formula and you should ensure that you do not use any other high-hold formula..

Generally, for loctite, less is best. You do not need to put any more than a very thin film, usually simply touching a toothpick with a bit on the end is more than enough; use a tissue to touch and wick up any excess.

Loc-tite is an anaerobic and cures in the absence of air so when you screw the crown on it will distribute it around the threads.. You are not trying to glue it together, only to get enough of a film to lock the threads to each other when it cures.
Old 18 February 2015, 12:54 PM   #3
feinstei
"TRF" Member

Thanks so much for the advice -- and thanks for admitting me to the forum! I ordered a bottle of LocTite 222 from Amazon. I could not find a place in the U.S. to buy the 221 from. I will certainly be very careful in terms of applying the stuff and in microscopic quantities with a toothpick as you suggested. I'll post my results after using the LocTite 222.
Old 26 February 2015, 10:12 AM   #4
feinstei
"TRF" Member

Just wanted to conclude this thread with the news that my 3035 is now back in perfect running (and setting) order after LocTite'ing the Crown back to the Stem. I held the stem gently in a pair of pliers after dipping its threads into a drop of the LocTite 222. I then tightly screwed the Crown back onto the Stem and wiped any excess LocTite off of the now secured Crown/Stem. I let it sit overnight and then reinserted the Crown/Stem back into the body of the 3035, resecured the screw-on case-back (and tightened it with the L & J tool). Been wearing the watch for a few days now and it works perfectly. Thanks "Tools" for your assistance! My first foray into watch repair!
Old 26 February 2015, 11:39 AM   #5
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Good job on your watch; you should be able to do a full service in just a few short months!

You can also use the LocTite to secure bracelet screws if they show signs of being too loose as well.

Welcom to the forum!

Old 25 March 2016, 10:14 AM   #6
basicksickness
"TRF" Member

Is this legit? Can i really just use the loctite 221? Is this the official fix?
basicksickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2016, 07:22 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Loctite is an option but you could also use a thin flake of soldering tin and place it in the crown and then screw it onto the stem. Hold the stem tightly with a tool and turn screw the crown very tight.
You won't damage the crown or stem this way because the tin is very soft and don't need heat to get rid of the loctite should you want to replace the crown or stem along the way.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 04:43 AM   #8
michigan.watches
"TRF" Member

Loctite might be your solution but sometimes when a crown comes loose, it's because of the condition of the movement. If it's setting or winding hard, the additional torque required to turn the stem may be loosening the crown at the same time.
michigan.watches is offline   Reply With Quote