The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 7 September 2016, 09:52 AM   #31
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Buy the watch not the price! If you want the watch buy it but don't buy it because you think it is cheap. JMHO. Very good pricing on this model is easy if you spend some time on it and then you will have limited downside if you decide to sell after enjoying it for a period.
conkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:07 AM   #32
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Buy the watch not the price! If you want the watch buy it but don't buy it because you think it is cheap. JMHO. Very good pricing on this model is easy if you spend some time on it and then you will have limited downside if you decide to sell after enjoying it for a period.
Easy for someone to say who just dropped money on 4 perpetual calendars. :)

Look- I agree with you that it's not about the money but at the day while I'm not hurting for cash by any means, I also have to limit what I can do for discretionary depreciating items.

Anything I buy, especially for a watch over 100k- good lord how the hell did I end up in this price range- that no doubt is over produced s X not limited by any means.

Had I not just dropped a wad on my most recent purchase of my 5905, this would have been a no brainer. But since I try to limit and spread out my purchases, a bit more thought has gone into this than normal.

Regardless, my intent of this thread was just to get an idea if one is to avoid grey market dealers like the plague or if they are kosher to buy from. So far no one seems to mind buying from them assuming you can't get a similar deal from Your AD.
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:21 AM   #33
Tolypop
Banned

Time to dump the 5905 and a few rolex watches and step up to the plate

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Tolypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:25 AM   #34
martinr
"TRF" Member

One reason to consider an AD is if you have a problem with the watch, warranty or not. The AD can send you a shipping label, work with HSWA to get the work done and put you in touch with a contact there that can help you. I don't know this for sure but I'd imagine the watch would get better service like faster repair time if it's done through the AD of the original purchaser with the AD name on the certificate. But in your case it sounds like about a 40K difference so if you trust the grey dealer I'd do that. 5-10K difference maybe AD.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:31 AM   #35
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
But in your case it sounds like about a 40K difference so if you trust the grey dealer I'd do that. 5-10K difference maybe AD.
Agree with you 1000%
Old 7 September 2016, 10:32 AM   #36
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolypop View Post

Sure- send me a check and I'll ship the watch right over to you. :)
Old 7 September 2016, 10:34 AM   #37
Tolypop
Banned

I'm sure you can sell the 5905. That's a watch that has no demand. Every AD I ever saw has that and a 5960 steel in the showcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7 September 2016, 10:40 AM   #38
martinr
"TRF" Member

Dump the 5905P? No way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (133.1 KB, 219 views)
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:48 AM   #39
Tolypop
Banned

Comparing a 5905 to a 5270 is like comparing a watermelon to a grape

Old 7 September 2016, 10:52 AM   #40
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Comparing a 5905 to a 5270 is like comparing a watermelon to a grape

Who says I can't have a grape and a watermelon?

Agree again with my brother from another mother Martin- dump the 5905? No thanks!
Old 7 September 2016, 10:53 AM   #41
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
And your a Rolex collector.. The most mass produced watch. Who knows...k
Actually Swatch back in the day produced... Was a Patek guy for decades and been though many of those. Nowadays only have one vintage Patek am very fond of for tux events. IMHO the company has changed for the worse in a variety of ways. But ok, yeah, went Rolex because I still love mechanical timepieces and want something true daily beater, reliable, and when they need servicing it is done in a timely manner. Less than 1/3 of the price of a single Patek I had could get the two Rolex timepieces that are here.

So yes, I played the game for decades, learned lessons along the way, had years of fun.... Older, wiser? Maybe. Maybe not. Sometimes it is good to stand back and overlook the landscape instead of being in the eye of the storm. When Patek brings back quality, reliability and timely service, I'll pop back and have a look. Until then, IMHO the company is living off their earned reputation from decades ago.

JMHO and in the end what really matters is that you enjoy your time.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 10:53 AM   #42
Tolypop
Banned

Agreed. You can enjoy as many watches as you want. We all must be really bored to talk about watches at night.

Old 7 September 2016, 10:54 AM   #43
NavitimerNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1500
I'd go gray market
NavitimerNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 11:43 AM   #44
Jason36
"TRF" Member

Tremendous Opportunity

Respectfully,

You either just purchased or intend on purchasing a 5905 from what I gathered and you have come into one of Patek's flagship references at the dealer price and you are unsure.?

In many ways l completely appreciate the apprehension due to the recent purchase of the 5905. However, the 5905 is nothing more than a placeholder and or experiment from Patek because other recently released references are not selling. How and why they thought a combined 5960/5205 with a splash of 5070 size would ever work is beyond me. Having launched that bomb across the bow, I am the owner of many modern Pateks and that reference does little for me. I have spend a bunch of time thinking about it in advance of this set of comments...

Now you have a shot at a real Patek heritage piece "in RG" new, I would jump on it at that price point. I own two, one I wear and one I have sealed. I had felt I purchased my pieces well until I read your thread. For that I congratulate you!

If you don't want it at that price, may I indulge?
Jason36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 11:55 AM   #45
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:

This advice coming from a guy who has been all over the place with different possible Patek purchases...You first started a thread on the potential value of 5905P and if you should buy one, then the next thread was should I trade my YG Yachtmaster for a 5960/1A, then 3 other separate threads on the differences of the 5270 and where can I get the best price. Have you made any moves yet my friend? You make it sound so easy when it is another guy's (socal to az) money you are spending
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 11:59 AM   #46
Tolypop
Banned

I listened to all of your advice actually on both those watches. There are several people on this forum that are extremely knowledgeable and give great advice. Many others are just pretenders and day dreamers.

Old 7 September 2016, 12:05 PM   #47
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
5270r and the Grey Market

No intention to continue on this thread , don't see any positive out of this.

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 12:16 PM   #48
Tolypop
Banned

Hey goog53 just looked at your account. Seems like your having a fire sale on your collection of just some type of dealer using this forum for a place to sell and solicit customers

Old 7 September 2016, 12:25 PM   #49
Socal to az
Banned

All right kids- settle down. No need to start getting personal. It's just a watch. Everyone chill.
Old 7 September 2016, 12:41 PM   #50
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Hey goog53 just looked at your account. Seems like your having a fire sale on your collection of just some type of dealer using this forum for a place to sell and solicit customers

Not at all, Mike has been posting here regularly, and has very nice watches, maybe he just needs to sell a few to buy a very special one, or needs the funds for something else, I would bet on the first one...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 12:47 PM   #51
KarlS
Banned

I smell a troll
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 September 2016, 12:48 PM   #52
KarlS
Banned

Quote:

Did you ever get the 5207?
Old 7 September 2016, 12:52 PM   #53
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
This advice coming from a guy who has been all over the place with different possible Patek purchases...You first started a thread on the potential value of 5905P and if you should buy one, then the next thread was should I trade my YG Yachtmaster for a 5960/1A, then 3 other separate threads on the differences of the 5270 and where can I get the best price. Have you made any moves yet my friend? You make it sound so easy when it is another guy's (socal to az) money you are spending
At the same time Mike I can understand, I waited a long time to get a good price on the 5712, and some people seemed to think I was incapable of getting it, cous have gotten it earlier but wanted the best price possible, which I think I got, so sometimes people do need to take their time, I mean it's not 5K purchases, of course if it's all BS and the OP is incapable or unwilling to get a watch why waste our time
Old 7 September 2016, 12:59 PM   #54
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
You mean the 3 separate threads on the 5207 and absolutely last question and $ 40 000 discount didn't materialise into a purchase????
Old 7 September 2016, 01:01 PM   #55
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
At the same time Mike I can understand, I waited a long time to get a good price on the 5712, and some people seemed to think I was incapable of getting it, cous have gotten it earlier but wanted the best price possible, which I think I got, so sometimes people do need to take their time, I mean it's not 5K purchases, of course if it's all BS and the OP is incapable or unwilling to get a watch why waste our time
Arnaud I think you are mixing things up. I am not picking on the OP for starting this thread. I just found it funny that TOLLYPOP advised the OP to "step up to the plate" and buy the 5270 when he personally has had numerous threads on 3 different Pateks within a month on should I buy this, should I trade that, what is the best possible price and we have heard nothing of any Incomings. As for me having a "fire sale" or soliciting business that is funny considering I sell maybe one personal watch a year Regardless, Let's move on and I won't bust anyone's balls anymore
Old 7 September 2016, 01:24 PM   #56
Socal to az
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
of course if it's all BS and the OP is incapable or unwilling to get a watch why waste our time
Whoa partner.....I'm quite capable and quite willing to purchase a watch. In fact a just pulled the trigger on a 5905 just a month or so ago.

This 5270r purchase was a bit unexpected and from an unexpected source. So my reason for the thread was to ask about the legitimacy of grey market dealers on such a high price item.

I have every intention of adding a 5270r to my collection. Just was t expecting to do so soon after the last purchase.

If your time is being wasted, might I suggest you not read this thread. For others that have chimed in, my sincere gratitude to you all.
Old 7 September 2016, 01:30 PM   #57
goog53
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
Whoa partner.....I'm quite capable and quite willing to purchase a watch. In fact a just pulled the trigger on a 5905 just a month or so ago.

This 5270r purchase was a bit unexpected and from an unexpected source. So my reason for the thread was to ask about the legitimacy of grey market dealers on such a high price item.

I have every intention of adding a 5270r to my collection. Just was t expecting to do so soon after the last purchase.

If your time is being wasted, might I suggest you not read this thread. For others that have chimed in, my sincere gratitude to you all.
I think Arnaud had this mixed up and you confused with TOLYPOP as I posted above. We know you are the real deal. That 5905 is a beauty! Best of luck with the decision on the 5270R
Old 7 September 2016, 01:31 PM   #58
Socal to az
Banned

Thx goog. Appreciate it.
Old 7 September 2016, 03:03 PM   #59
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Arnaud I think you are mixing things up. I am not picking on the OP for starting this thread. I just found it funny that TOLLYPOP advised the OP to "step up to the plate" and buy the 5270 when he personally has had numerous threads on 3 different Pateks within a month on should I buy this, should I trade that, what is the best possible price and we have heard nothing of any Incomings. As for me having a "fire sale" or soliciting business that is funny considering I sell maybe one personal watch a year Regardless, Let's move on and I won't bust anyone's balls anymore
Buddy I understand and I was talking about the Lolypop, not at all about Socal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post

My friend, you are mistaken, I was talking about TOlypop, not at all about you, I answered to him saying Mike (Goog) had nice watches, then I told Mike about Tolypop that I can understand if the guy is taking his time as I did the same thing myself until I found a good AD, and got the 5712, now 5167R is waiting for me at the AD in CH, and also 2 incomings for 2017, the limit I set for myself per year being 2 watches max.
Wasn't at all talking to or about you buddy :thumbs: I know you got a 5905 and you're not the type to talk the talk and not walk the walk, when I said "the OP" I was talking about when Goog was saying that Tollypop made many threads about different watches he might purchase, or guys in general who ask a ton of questions but never buy anything, so was referring to the OP in general but no about you my friend, don't worry., my mistake it was confusing, now I see that..

Quote:
I think Arnaud had this mixed up and you confused with TOLYPOP as I posted above. We know you are the real deal. That 5905 is a beauty! Best of luck with the decision on the 5270R
MY friend I thought it was clear but maybe I expressed myself poorly, I wasn't at all talking about Socal, and you I know you have great watches too, don't know what Tolypop has to be honest, but if he is waiting to make a good purchase I do get it, could also be a troll, we'll see in the future
Old 7 September 2016, 03:06 PM   #60
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What watches do you have?