The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2021, 02:06 PM   #1
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
The Challenge: Choosing a Patek AD to work with. How does one choose?

Hello all.

If you were scoping out several Patek Philippe authorized dealers to choose one that you'd buy from to build your collection- what type of Patek AD would you look for? Any "green flags" as well as "red ones"? Anything you'd ask the AD during your first meet?

See, with Rolex, if one AD wears you out... you can just move onto the next one. From what I understand, Patek Philippe is a little different- you don't want to switch ADs unless you really have to, as I understand the manufacturer keeps a closer eye on who buys what, where.

So, I want to be sure I'm going my diligence before choosing one Patek dealership.

Thanks in advance!
Old 26 March 2021, 02:38 PM   #2
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
To be honest, I doubt any of them will give you any air time at all, unless you are ready to shred your wallet like a whale.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 02:55 PM   #3
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
To be honest, I doubt any of them will give you any air time at all, unless you are ready to shred your wallet like a whale.
I've scheduled an appointment with one shop this weekend. I'm wondering what I should ask, look for, etc.

I don't plan on buying just one or two pieces- and I'm not in a rush, either. Just looking for a tell-tale sign of an honest retailer.
Old 26 March 2021, 04:30 PM   #4
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
I've scheduled an appointment with one shop this weekend. I'm wondering what I should ask, look for, etc.

I don't plan on buying just one or two pieces- and I'm not in a rush, either. Just looking for a tell-tale sign of an honest retailer.
Maybe share what pieces you are looking for ?!?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 04:45 PM   #5
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello all.

If you were scoping out several Patek Philippe authorized dealers to choose one that you'd buy from to build your collection- what type of Patek AD would you look for? Any "green flags" as well as "red ones"? Anything you'd ask the AD during your first meet?

See, with Rolex, if one AD wears you out... you can just move onto the next one. From what I understand, Patek Philippe is a little different- you don't want to switch ADs unless you really have to, as I understand the manufacturer keeps a closer eye on who buys what, where.

So, I want to be sure I'm going my diligence before choosing one Patek dealership.

Thanks in advance!

I can give you some advice:

1) if you are really passionate and have knowledge about Patek then that is the one and the only emotion you need to transfer. If you know 0 about then maybe get informed first.
2) remember that body language anticipate and verify your words. SA at that level could read it.
3) prepare anyhow your wallet. It will suffer

Coming to the red and green flags:
1) I visited 2 AD here and after 1 minute I could exclude one already. I noticed how they looked at me and to what they pay attention like dress code etc. Generally a red flag. In this case if you Lamborghini customer style then you have chance.

2) The other one literally welcoming like I would expect. Doesn’t matter that in terms of wallet compared to the average Swiss or Arabic or Russian customer they serve I’m close to 0.
Their main interest was why I want exactly Patek, if I know the brand story, the movement and why that watch.
Green flag indeed they provide me some key pieces in reasonable time.
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 04:49 PM   #6
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrngrz46 View Post
Sorry man but looks like you are preparing a job interview.

Strange approach.

If you are really passionate about Patek then that is the one and the only emotion you need to transfer.

There is no a code written and it extremely depends by the SA will welcome you but as I said real passion never lie.
+1
Show passion about the brand and talk watches. You will either be rewarded with the same passion and that is your AD or you won’t and move on.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2021, 10:56 PM   #7
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
I don't think you can go wrong with an AD. Patek has TOO much at stake to have AD that ignore their customers that just walk through the door. The fact the you have ZERO knowledge is the very best thing you have going for you. Let them educate you on what to buy (their best interest, not yours), ALL ADs want to build a relationship with new buyers. Call an AD, make an appointment. If I were you, I would look at everything they have in the showcase. Those are the models you will be able to buy. Try them All on. Ask a lot of questions and get educated.
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 12:04 AM   #8
Billfav
"TRF" Member

Spot on - sound advise..

Quote:

1) if you are really passionate and have knowledge about Patek then that is the one and the only emotion you need to transfer. If you know 0 about then maybe get informed first.
2) remember that body language anticipate and verify your words. SA at that level could read it.

Their main interest was why I want exactly Patek, if I know the brand story, the movement and why that watch.
I believe your passion for the brand will speak volumes. It has for me as I was a customer of my AD for years and they knew I was a watch nut. It has served me well once I decided to reach for my first PP. I am sure my past business helped but I was not one of their high rollers in terms of spend either.
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 12:13 AM   #9
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Generally my first impression of an AD is honesty. I appreciate if they can say something as it is or provide a reasonable counter offer. Waitlist kind of thing is generally nonsense I feel. It’s either they want your business or not. I appreciate being told a NO than being jerk around with a non-existence wait list. At least I can figure out how to approach the situation instead of waiting for something that never arrives.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 01:56 AM   #10
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I mean generally people pick the one from their city and usually it's the only one in town.

Or if there is no local one then a place where you might visit most often.

I won't tend to be picky unless that AD rubs you the wrong way. No guarantee that each and every experience at a particular AD is good. I'll focus on the kind of watches you want first. It seems like you are going to through buying the entire catalogue and need to screen where you money should go... if you were, then it really doesn't matter cause AD would judge you based on your wallet anyways and provide top notch service at that point.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:34 AM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

None of this matters, no supply for anything good. Be prepared to spend
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 02:46 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Before you start looking for Patek ADs, ask yourself "why are you looking into Patek?" That honest answer from yourself will be something an AD will appreciate.

There is no right or wrong answer to the above question. Not everyone is a big watch enthusiasts who has collected watches since childhood. Not everyone has the deep pockets to spend 6 or 7 figures on a watch collection. Maybe it is a curiosity with the SS sports watch craze, perhaps it's just the brand and the mystery behind it. Some AD salespeople know a lot, but many know very little. Some of the SAs jump between watch/jewelry stores regularly and for some, it is just a job. Some ADs are snobbish and judge you based on age, appearance, etc. Some watch collectors are snobbish too, so it goes both ways. Just like shopping at any luxury brand retail store, go in with an open mind. Sometimes it is not very different from walking into a Hermes store or a Ferrari dealership. Some SAs are very friendly and others are not.

Good luck with your venture into the brand. It is a special watch brand that has a lot of history. It takes time to get over the surface appeal and understand the watch brand for what it is.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2021, 04:29 AM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

Depending on which watches you want they will try to do at least as much diligence on you as you are planning to do on them. Like where you are from, which watches you own and why, possibly what you do, why you are now interested in Patek, why you want the reference(s) you want, why you went to see them vs the next AD etc. Gauging if you are a flipper may be high on their mind too.

If you tell them what you are planning to buy you'll see how they react and if they'll give you some comfort as to whether that is realistic including an idea on timing. When I was looking years ago I just wanted one watch and some ADs pretty much told me it is not going happen (which is ok), whereas another one said it may take 2-3 years after we had a long chat, which was how long it took in the end.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 12:28 AM   #14
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Before you start looking for Patek ADs, ask yourself "why are you looking into Patek?" That honest answer from yourself will be something an AD will appreciate.

There is no right or wrong answer to the above question. Not everyone is a big watch enthusiasts who has collected watches since childhood. Not everyone has the deep pockets to spend 6 or 7 figures on a watch collection. Maybe it is a curiosity with the SS sports watch craze, perhaps it's just the brand and the mystery behind it. Some AD salespeople know a lot, but many know very little. Some of the SAs jump between watch/jewelry stores regularly and for some, it is just a job. Some ADs are snobbish and judge you based on age, appearance, etc. Some watch collectors are snobbish too, so it goes both ways. Just like shopping at any luxury brand retail store, go in with an open mind. Sometimes it is not very different from walking into a Hermes store or a Ferrari dealership. Some SAs are very friendly and others are not.

Good luck with your venture into the brand. It is a special watch brand that has a lot of history. It takes time to get over the surface appeal and understand the watch brand for what it is.

+1 on Hermes
Walked into a local Hermes boutique and snubbed by the first SA we talked to who basically told us to shop at another store then few minutes later connected to a wonderful SA. We have been with her for over 10 years now and the other one disappeared 5-6 years ago.

I think it is the SA and not the AD which matters more. AD is a thing and SA is a person
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 05:10 AM   #15
Milibrk@
"TRF" Member

if you're ready to spend then they all will treat you like the Prince of Dubai regardless of how you dress...needless to say if you're just kicking tire while you're visiting.
Milibrk@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 05:11 AM   #16
Trainedmonkey
"TRF" Member

My strategy was pretty simple.

- Family owned dealer
- Always deal with the owner or immediate family

You don't want to be building a relationship with a sales representative that will suddenly leave one day.

Then buy everything for the same dealer and have them service your watches. Yes it takes money and time, but if you are serious that's the way.
Trainedmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 08:04 AM   #17
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
I don't plan on buying just one or two pieces- and I'm not in a rush
i can tell you what not to ask
don't ask about a nautilus or aquanut. ADs get annoyed with the amount of people walking in to ask about that.
dress for the occasion, don't go in a suit but also don't go in shorts and flipflops. I respect the SAs, so if i am there to look around i let people who are their to make a purchase ahead of me (and the SA appreciate that) and when the place is not busy the SAs will take the time to answer your questions and explain things to you as well.
Old 28 March 2021, 01:40 PM   #18
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

I'd like to thank the many insightful responses here, and I will respond to each in kind.
Old 28 March 2021, 01:44 PM   #19
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Coming to the red and green flags:
1) I visited 2 AD here and after 1 minute I could exclude one already. I noticed how they looked at me and to what they pay attention like dress code etc. Generally a red flag. In this case if you Lamborghini customer style then you have chance.

2) The other one literally welcoming like I would expect. Doesn’t matter that in terms of wallet compared to the average Swiss or Arabic or Russian customer they serve I’m close to 0.
Green flag indeed they provide me some key pieces in reasonable time.
Thank you!

The one AD I visited today was particularly warm and generous with their time. They explained to me Patek Philippe's basic history, and briefly described their relationship with Swiss company. I did not make any specific requests, but I did tell them that I would stop by once again in the next month or two. They look forward to seeing me again, and vice versa.

Needless to say, you are correct about the wallet hurting.
Old 28 March 2021, 01:53 PM   #20
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriedkin View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with an AD. Patek has TOO much at stake to have AD that ignore their customers that just walk through the door. The fact the you have ZERO knowledge is the very best thing you have going for you. Let them educate you on what to buy (their best interest, not yours), ALL ADs want to build a relationship with new buyers. Call an AD, make an appointment. If I were you, I would look at everything they have in the showcase. Those are the models you will be able to buy. Try them All on. Ask a lot of questions and get educated.
Thanks. I did as much of that as time permitted today (conversed with the gentleman, had him point out many watches to me, asked many questions, tried a few on, and so forth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfav View Post
I believe your passion for the brand will speak volumes. It has for me as I was a customer of my AD for years and they knew I was a watch nut. It has served me well once I decided to reach for my first PP. I am sure my past business helped but I was not one of their high rollers in terms of spend either.
Thanks. I think I did come across as a watch nut, lol. I will probably end up buying pieces from other brands first before buying some of their Pateks- just to be taken a little more seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Generally my first impression of an AD is honesty. I appreciate if they can say something as it is or provide a reasonable counter offer. Waitlist kind of thing is generally nonsense I feel. It’s either they want your business or not. I appreciate being told a NO than being jerk around with a non-existence wait list. At least I can figure out how to approach the situation instead of waiting for something that never arrives.
I agree wholeheartedly, and the part of being told "as it is" resonates strongly on this end. I know for a fact wait lists exist, but dealers rarely mention that you have to move up said waitlists with purchases (as opposed to the waitlist strictly being chronological). Any sugar coating will probably turn me off.
Old 28 March 2021, 02:23 PM   #21
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I mean generally people pick the one from their city and usually it's the only one in town.

Or if there is no local one then a place where you might visit most often.

I won't tend to be picky unless that AD rubs you the wrong way. No guarantee that each and every experience at a particular AD is good. I'll focus on the kind of watches you want first. It seems like you are going to through buying the entire catalogue and need to screen where you money should go... if you were, then it really doesn't matter cause AD would judge you based on your wallet anyways and provide top notch service at that point.
Thanks. Money does indeed speak louder than any other factor. One local AD I've visited rubbed me the wrong way- albeit quite subtly. The one I visited more recently, out of town, seemed a bit less snobby, and the way they took their time to explain things indicated that they valued my time just as I value their assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
Well, you're right that there's no supply for anything I ultimately wanted- but the World Time references look simply beautiful. Also, if the 5196P came with a bigger movement and case back, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, regardless of the hit it takes on secondary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post

Thank you so much. I agree with your very first and very last line: it does indeed take time to get into the brand itself. I find myself admiring certain models, but not necessarily the heritage that ties them together- yet, anyway. I will work on that before taking the plunge.
Old 28 March 2021, 03:02 PM   #22
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Depending on which watches you want they will try to do at least as much diligence on you as you are planning to do on them. Like where you are from, which watches you own and why, possibly what you do, why you are now interested in Patek, why you want the reference(s) you want, why you went to see them vs the next AD etc. Gauging if you are a flipper may be high on their mind too.

If you tell them what you are planning to buy you'll see how they react and if they'll give you some comfort as to whether that is realistic including an idea on timing. When I was looking years ago I just wanted one watch and some ADs pretty much told me it is not going happen (which is ok), whereas another one said it may take 2-3 years after we had a long chat, which was how long it took in the end.
Thanks. It's often a difficult to not come across as a flipper- especially when, you know, I really like the blue gradient dial on the 5711. That said, my dream Patek is actually a complications piece- I doubt the Patek AD would call that a flipper's target. As I mentioned in another post on this thread, I also liked the 5196P (although I was turned off by not being able to see the movement. I also would have preferred it was automatic instead of manual wind, etc). And with the 5711 being discontinued and a new Nautilus in the works, perhaps I should just sit still for a while Patek figures out its next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
+1 on Hermes
Walked into a local Hermes boutique and snubbed by the first SA we talked to who basically told us to shop at another store then few minutes later connected to a wonderful SA. We have been with her for over 10 years now and the other one disappeared 5-6 years ago.

I think it is the SA and not the AD which matters more. AD is a thing and SA is a person
Hey, fair enough. I think people tend to dismiss an entire AD once they've had a poor experience with just one sales associate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milibrk@ View Post
if you're ready to spend then they all will treat you like the Prince of Dubai regardless of how you dress...needless to say if you're just kicking tire while you're visiting.
No kicking tires on my end, but that brings up another question- are ADs flexible on some pricing these days? Some of the pieces take a tremendous hit once you walk out the door. We don't think too much of it with Rolex since the % translates to a nominal price, but some of these $50K-$60K pieces end up being $35K or so (perhaps that's how they screen for a real spenders, hah).
Old 28 March 2021, 03:05 PM   #23
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainedmonkey View Post

- Family owned dealer

You don't want to be building a relationship with a sales representative that will suddenly leave one day.

Then buy everything for the same dealer and have them service your watches. Yes it takes money and time, but if you are serious that's the way.
I didn't think to deal with the owner/immediate family. Once the time comes to make that first purchase, I will absolutely take that advice. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by azizu View Post
i can tell you what not to ask
don't ask about a nautilus or aquanut. ADs get annoyed with the amount of people walking in to ask about that.
dress for the occasion, don't go in a suit but also don't go in shorts and flipflops. I respect the SAs, so if i am there to look around i let people who are their to make a purchase ahead of me (and the SA appreciate that) and when the place is not busy the SAs will take the time to answer your questions and explain things to you as well.
100%. I did not ask for the Nautilus in my meeting today, and tbh, I don't really gel with the Aquanaut. I'd like to think the SA appreciated being able to pitch the brand on his own terms without someone like myself coming in with a narrow focus on 1-2 models.
Old 28 March 2021, 07:48 PM   #24
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
This is the best advice you'll get ^^^^^.
Here are the details of how to do it.
Go into the AD and ask to see a 5227, a 5905, a 5960 and a 5711 (which, of course, they won't have). Don't ask about any other brand, buying those won't help your Patek cause. If they have any of those references in stock buy the two least expensive. A month later go back and buy another Patek. Two months later, repeat this.
After you have purchased at least 6 Pateks tell your AD, nicely but firmly, that you want a 5711/1R.
If this kind of spending is beyond your budget then look for another brand to collect.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2021, 10:28 PM   #25
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainedmonkey View Post

- Family owned dealer

This is the way
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 01:22 AM   #26
David001
Banned

If you really want one of the hotter Pateks then you're better off going grey.
I've spent six figures with one dealer and they very politely told me that I'm a valued customer but only people that have spent seven figures are getting a 57XX hot model any time soon - and there are no shortage of those today.

They probably get just a few pieces a year and there are lots on the waiting list, so it would be cheaper to go to a grey dealer than spend enough to warrant getting one from an AD.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 03:34 AM   #27
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David001 View Post
If you really want one of the hotter Pateks then you're better off going grey.
I've spent six figures with one dealer and they very politely told me that I'm a valued customer but only people that have spent seven figures are getting a 57XX hot model any time soon - and there are no shortage of those today.

They probably get just a few pieces a year and there are lots on the waiting list, so it would be cheaper to go to a grey dealer than spend enough to warrant getting one from an AD.
Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree.

The closer I look, the more I struggle to see why one would pursue any relationship with a Patek Philippe AD in the first place (yes, I know- this makes my original question moot). Perhaps 5-6 years ago it made sense, but today, I do wonder- the prices on everything they have in the showcase has at least a $10K instant depreciation, and for other models, even higher. By the time you've spent enough cash on timepieces (let's say, what, 10-12 pieces?) you could have taken your losses and bought the Nautilus you've always wanted.

And someone might suggest that's strategic on Patek's part: they only reel in the world's top spenders, the ones who don't bat an eyelid over dropping a few hundred thousand a year or whatever.

But even to those luxury heavyweights, I do have to ask: what's the benefit of it all? Why not just go grey and save money across the board? After you've spent your $60K-$120K on that 5711, you'll save hundreds of thousands on buying World Times, Calatravas, chronographs, and so forth on the grey market anyway.

Is there a certain piece at the end of the rainbow that suddenly tilts the value equation in the other direction? A $250K piece that's now worth $2.5 mil? Perhaps the opportunity to have a tailored, one-off timepiece? That's not a rhetorical question, but a rather sincere one.

I'll concede that the fact I have to ask that question may betray the fact that I'm simply not ready to take that step, but the question remains anyway. Does the "official" Patek experience only make sense for an extremely small portion of the watch collector base?
Old 29 March 2021, 06:59 AM   #28
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I think some people actually want all the other pieces and getting the allocation piece is gravy for them. The people who want a Nautilus and try to backdoor this are the ones struggling to make the economics work.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 07:06 AM   #29
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Personally, I wouldn’t spend the time or effort. I would just work with a wonderful reseller like Michael Ashton in New York and pay market price.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2021, 07:32 AM   #30
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
Quote:
I will probably end up buying pieces from other brands first before buying some of their Pateks- just to be taken a little more seriously.
Quote:
the World Time references look simply beautiful. Also, if the 5196P came with a bigger movement and case back, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, regardless of the hit it takes on secondary.
Quote:
As I mentioned in another post on this thread, I also liked the 5196P (although I was turned off by not being able to see the movement. I also would have preferred it was automatic instead of manual wind, etc)
instead of buying pieces from other brands to be taken seriously, why don't you just get the 5196P and ask for a discount?
that way you will have entered in patek world and started building your name with the AD and the company. because with patek, there are application pieces and they need to know what other patek you purchased to be considered in your application
there are excuses you can use to justify the discount, i have one in mind but lets see if you can come up with one

Tags
authorized dealers , beginner , retail