The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 April 2022, 03:05 AM   #1
TexEd
"TRF" Member

Pricing used rolex's vs. Newer

I have been looking at prices of the 126715CHNR on the grey market. My question has to do with the age of a "used" watch and the affect it has on its pricing. How should a used 2021 complete set be priced in comparison to a 2018 complete set. What premium, if any, should be applied to the 2 year newer watch or what discount should be applied to the two year older watch, notwithstanding the warranty period?

I've always preferred the newer watches but I'm not sure if the premium paid is worthwhile. Thanks in advance for any comments.
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:12 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It depends on the model but there is a different in pricing but not as much as one would think.
Old 27 April 2022, 03:31 AM   #3
TexEd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
It depends on the model but there is a different in pricing but not as much as one would think.
Thanks, so I suppose if one wanted the newer watch they should expect to pay a small premium.
TexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:33 AM   #4
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes - assuming condition is the same and still under factory warranty (since you’ll get more of the warranty with a newer watch).
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:33 AM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The remaining warranty would perhaps be a factor to consider and may be the reason for a higher price
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:34 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiguy View Post
Yes - assuming condition is the same and still under factory warranty (since you’ll get more of the warranty with a newer watch).
You beat me by a nano second
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 03:35 AM   #7
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
You beat me by a nano second
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 04:07 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEd View Post
I have been looking at prices of the 126715CHNR on the grey market. My question has to do with the age of a "used" watch and the affect it has on its pricing. How should a used 2021 complete set be priced in comparison to a 2018 complete set. What premium, if any, should be applied to the 2 year newer watch or what discount should be applied to the two year older watch, notwithstanding the warranty period?

I've always preferred the newer watches but I'm not sure if the premium paid is worthwhile. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Just like almost anything, a newer one is going to be more expensive than an older one, although it isn't going to be a wide spread.

In almost all cases, condition is paramount. An older release in excellent shape should be more "valuable" than a newer thrashed version.
Old 27 April 2022, 07:04 AM   #9
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Not CHNR and I'm in Canada. I think most people want brand new and will pay a premium for the watch that was purchased yesterday to be flipped today. I've noticed with 12 series Sub Dates that the "fresh" unworn purchase will be about $2,000 more than the same watch that is a month or more old, and it will sell quicker. All other 12 series Sub Dates are generally priced the same. CHRNs are probably about the same or a tad more. Just a guess.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2022, 10:09 AM   #10
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
This is just my opinion.

Condition plays a bigger role than year in price, IMO, because so many buyers demand "unworn" and many even demand "stickered". I personally bought a relatively newer (2018) but used Sub. At the time, "unworn" secondary pieces sold for several thousand more. To me, unworn didn't make sense because I was going to wear it all the time (and eventually get it overhauled and refinished after 5-10 years or so). So I personally preferred newer in age instead of older in age and "unworn" and was fine with a watch that was in excellent condition but not unworn.

With respect to the specific watch you are considering, I would personally go for whatever premium the 2021 models have, as the 2018-9 versions seem to be more prone to some of the movement issues that have impacted some watches.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote