The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2021, 05:32 PM   #1
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

5890 1A-001 Blue or Black?

I know this may sound like a stupid question but is it actually blue or black? I just came across a piece and I tried shining it under several different lighting and couldn't for the life of me see any blue in it. But they call it a blue dial? If I'm not wrong, this only comes in one variation which is the 'blue' dial. I also looked at the model number on the certificate it is the 001 not the 014. The background on the date is also white so no mistaking it for the 014.
kianhowe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 06:24 PM   #2
Fenrira
"TRF" Member

What sort of lighting conditions were you viewing the watch in?
Fenrira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 07:39 PM   #3
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

Indoors I tried shining it under usual lighting and I also brought it near the window where there was bright afternoon sunlight. Also sorry for the wrong model on the tittle should have been 5980.
Old 21 July 2021, 07:54 PM   #4
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

I've also been looking at youtube videos on the so called 'blue' dial and it looks black to me lol
Old 22 July 2021, 04:55 AM   #5
7sins
"TRF" Member

The 5980 was available in blue, black and white dial. I owned the blue dial and it looks like a true blue, it isn't overly a bright blue but still identifiably blue. The black dial is a dark black, they are not overly similar shades if you compare them together. If I were to do it again, I would go with the black dial, the CD disc like chrono still bothers me aesthetically which is moot on the white dial. This is a good photo of the true blue color of the 5980
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 04:58 AM   #6
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

As 7sins mentioned, it came in 3 different color dials. I remember seeing all three dial variation side by side at an AD, right before the 5980/1A was discontinued. As you can tell, back then the reference was not in great demand.
I would imagine the white dial is the rarest out of the three.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 05:09 AM   #7
gummy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: AP PP Rolex
As mentioned the 5980 was available in Blue, Black and White.

A quick tell on the difference between the Blue and Black dial versions is the date wheel.

Blue had a White date wheel

Black had a Black date wheel

Great piece
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5980 Driving wrist shot.jpg (157.2 KB, 203 views)
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2021, 10:52 AM   #8
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy View Post
As mentioned the 5980 was available in Blue, Black and White.

A quick tell on the difference between the Blue and Black dial versions is the date wheel.

Blue had a White date wheel

Black had a Black date wheel

Great piece
Yes the one I saw was exactly like this. Is that blue? Now I think I may be colour blind.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:53 AM   #9
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgSKSxi6LIo&t=290s There are many videos online like this. He clearly says this is a blue dial but it really does look black to me. If you guys say this is blue then the problem is with my eyesight.
Old 22 July 2021, 10:54 AM   #10
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
The 5980 was available in blue, black and white dial. I owned the blue dial and it looks like a true blue, it isn't overly a bright blue but still identifiably blue. The black dial is a dark black, they are not overly similar shades if you compare them together. If I were to do it again, I would go with the black dial, the CD disc like chrono still bothers me aesthetically which is moot on the white dial. This is a good photo of the true blue color of the 5980
This may have been one of the few pictures in perfect lighting that showcased the blue. Even on instagram it's super hard to find a blue gradient on a white colour date wheel 5980.
Old 22 July 2021, 11:08 AM   #11
kianhowe88
"TRF" Member

I just randomly searched tags 5980 on Instagram and I'd say 90% of pictures look like this.