The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 2 April 2020, 04:28 AM   #151
_patrick
"TRF" Member

I have both, and generally I've started steering people who are thinking about getting into luxury watches over to Omega. They wear great, have tons of history, and the quality is top notch. Omega does have one edge over Rolex though which is you can just go to a boutique and buy a steel model and you don't have to screw around with the grey market.

Unless you're an enthusiast like we are, or have a ton of money to throw around, you can't just walk into the store and buy a steel Rolex unless it's used or it's got someone else's name on the warranty card. If you don't know what you're doing, it's also possible to wind up with a knockoff if you don't know what you're doing and you try to buy a Rolex whereas Omega boutiques are plentiful and have stock.

That being said, my Submariner does feel nicer on the wrist than my Speedmaster does but I'd say they both get equal wrist time and both look fantastic.
_patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 01:52 PM   #152
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
I have and do own many of both. I actually think Omega's quality is just as good. I would never buy an Omega from a boutique and pay anywhere near retail for one. So considering you can land a next to new Planet Ocean for usually .50 on the retail dollar, Omega is far and away the better value.

As a side note, most people say they're not flippers, but who isn't always looking to upgrade? I know many people that change watches like underwear. They key is to buy Omega right and you can get out of them easily to chase your next grail.
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 02:38 PM   #153
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
With regards to marketing I think not only omega but other brands as well are beating Rolex due to lack of supply

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 03:49 AM   #154
shalako
"TRF" Member

I own 4 x Rolex’s and three Omega’s so fair to say they are amongst my favourite brands, I enjoy this Omega forum considerably more however because here everyone talks about watches....on the Rolex forum - particularly with the ‘Johnny come lately’ newcomers to the brand - they are obsessed with talking about prices.
shalako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:21 AM   #155
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
I think I probably prefer Omega slightly. My first watch was an Omega Aqua Terra and I owned two more before buying a Rolex. I now own 4 Omegas and 3 Rollies, but admittedly have flipped a few Rollies that I ended up not liking. But both brands have to be in my top 5 or so, along with JLC, IWC, PP, and A.L.S.

I have always felt Omega makes a better watch (we can at least use the Moonwatch trials as an example) but I would guess they are pretty equal by now.

For sure the two have different marketing approaches, and, not sure how I feel about the lack of supply on the Rolex side.

I totally agree that if we take the labels off watches, we'd be very shocked. There are some absolutely fantastic watches out there at a fraction of the cost.
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 11:51 AM   #156
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
The Speedmaster, racing 40mm white dial on the black rubber strap caught my eye. Waiting for the smoke to clear with our country. so I could go see it.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2020, 10:19 AM   #157
TonyG-0801
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Kermit
I was always a Rolex over Omega guy, but omega is starting to grow on me in these Rona quarantine times.
Perhaps just nothing really new and exciting from Rolex and hard to get a hold of one...
my major grip is with omega is that they have too many models and variations. Not to mention all the special additions....
Currently looking at the Planet ocean GMT white and black bezel.... next purchase to be.
TonyG-0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 09:15 AM   #158
tomf1994
"TRF" Member

I have one omega and one rolex. Admittedly, my first nice watch was the omega (2005 smp) and I thought rolexes were too obvious and way overpriced. I hated (and still do) the datejust and although I like the styling of the sub it's just too common. I warmed to the DSSD, but was never really felt compelled enough to go after one. I kind of left it at that.

Then I went to a shop to try on a bell and ross. That watch didn't work for me in the metal. The lady then had me try on a used polar explorer. Never heard of or saw this watch back in 2016. I loved it almost immediately. Very well made and super comfy on the wrist. The idea of owning a rolex was still a bit of an issue, but I got over when I got a new one a couple months later from an AD.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tomf1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 03:58 PM   #159
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG-0801 View Post
I was always a Rolex over Omega guy, but omega is starting to grow on me in these Rona quarantine times.
Perhaps just nothing really new and exciting from Rolex and hard to get a hold of one...
my major grip is with omega is that they have too many models and variations. Not to mention all the special additions....
Currently looking at the Planet ocean GMT white and black bezel.... next purchase to be.
I do agree with you they have a lot of models, but I don’t always see that as a negative. There’s something for everyone with omega, where as Rolex keeps the same designs with little variation.

My own view is that once you’ve had one Rolex you have near enough had them all. Great watches no doubt and I’ve had a good few but they don’t really excite me as much as offerings from other firms. Horses for courses and all that.

I do wonder if we may see a few new things coming from Rolex. Omega and breitling are certainly raising their game currently (breitling certainly) releasing watches that I actually would like to buy. It will be interesting if some of the lists waiting for non existent watches have their heads turned.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2020, 07:43 PM   #160
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Rolex is classy and won’t change much. If you have a black stainless steel it would look the same as other models. I sometime get tired of the design.

Omega on the other hand is more cutting edge but sometimes long term wearability suffers.

I would prefer more omega.

Old 26 April 2020, 01:18 AM   #161
Feh
"TRF" Member

I love my Planet Ocean 8900, but what Omega did with the PO line was to make 30 different colors and variations of the same watch and it diluted the interest for me.

If anything, I’d love to get a Speedy.
Feh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2020, 09:55 PM   #162
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feh View Post
I love my Planet Ocean 8900, but what Omega did with the PO line was to make 30 different colors and variations of the same watch and it diluted the interest for me.

Nothing wrong with verity
Old 29 April 2020, 10:02 PM   #163
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
I agree and that's the knock on Omega for years. It's a valid point but that doesn't mean they make inferior watches. Quite the contrary.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:30 AM   #164
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:

Well, it really depends on how you look at it. I love my TT Sub, but tons of people have it. Tons more than that have some version of the classic black Sub. One could say it dilutes interest when you have the same watch as every other Rolex fan out there. That doesn't mean I don't love my Sub, but it's certainly not anything unique among watch collectors.

Omega's variations may not be great for investment purposes, but I'd argue it's really about market value. If you go and pay MSRP for a PO, yeah you're gonna get slammed if you try to resell, but if you pay market value you'll be fine, and you'll get a somewhat unique variation of a watch that quality wise appears to be equal to Rolex if not better in some respects.

I appreciate both Brands' strategies myself, as a collector. My favorite may actually be Tudor, because they seem to have struck a balance between Rolex's consistency and Omega's variations.
johnorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:49 AM   #165
rchuah
"TRF" Member

in my opinion, Omega makes better watches. But rolex has the better brand prestige.
rchuah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 01:23 AM   #166
Texex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
Bought an Omega in ~2000; X-33. Bought a GMT II in 2014; BLNR/Batman.

Sold the Rolex last year, wearing the Omega right now. I really like the new 300m and will probably get one. And then, maybe, I'll get a Polar Explorer II.

On the other hand, if they put this out in the new 300m... whoo boy!
+1, I have this exact 300m GMT and would buy in a second if it were made with a ceramic bezel. BTW, my 300m is on permanent loan to my wife who wears it way more than her 36mm Datejust.
Old 30 April 2020, 01:56 AM   #167
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree. The Planet Ocean was a classic that turned cartoonish to me.

I still have the cal 2500 but have no desire for the newer models.
gnuyork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 02:03 AM   #168
barneb10
"TRF" Member

Love my Speedie Moonwatch with the hesalite crystal.
barneb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 02:41 AM   #169
Akbell07
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT - Master 16700
I have one of each. A 16700 which was my first watch from my grandfather and a speedmaster day/date 3220.50 and I love them both.. the speedie is a little more casual low key though obviously..
Akbell07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 02:42 AM   #170
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Rolex has a crown and yeah it may be more well made (you could easily argue the new SMP is a better package than a Sub) or luxurious, but when you factor in the price and waitlists/supply, they are no better. I just sold my Rolex and am sticking with Omega for a while. I also think Omega has more attractive options, but this is subjective.
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 12:07 PM   #171
htc8p
"TRF" Member

I just really love the bracelets on Rolex. Omega probably has more improved movements

Old 30 April 2020, 12:57 PM   #172
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchuah View Post
in my opinion, Omega makes better watches. But rolex has the better brand prestige.
probably best summed up as such
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 01:11 PM   #173
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

This

vs that

BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2020, 03:53 PM   #174
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNABOD View Post
This

vs that

The sub is a beauty but the omega can hold its own. Nice collection!

Old 1 May 2020, 08:36 AM   #175
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
I'll take the SMP over the Sub. Sorry. Not even close.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 08:42 AM   #176
JohnGingerwood
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggi View Post
I'll take the SMP over the Sub. Sorry. Not even close.
I kinda feel the same way
JohnGingerwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2020, 09:53 AM   #177
BNABOD
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
The sub is a beauty but the omega can hold its own. Nice collection!

It sure can, imho the best value out there bar none
BNABOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 06:54 PM   #178
asisrich
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C Panda
I have both. Aqua Terra GMT and a Daytona.

I wear the Omega day to day, and the Rolex on more special occasions.

I have other brand watches in my collection aswell but these 2 seem to get the most wear from me.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk
asisrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 02:41 AM   #179
anonymousmoose
"TRF" Member

Omega has to work a lot harder than Rolex to sell watches. Their latest SMP line shows how much time and effort they have put into their watches.
Old 23 May 2020, 03:00 AM   #180
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
Vintage Rolex and Modern Omega for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote