The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 1 March 2020, 12:32 PM   #1
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Upcoming Lange price increase (2020)

Word on the street is there's an impending +5% increase across the board coming in a couple days.

Are Lange and Richemont that out of touch with reality? The luxury market climate, along with the happenings in the world, along with how secondary market prices are not well supported for Lange (still), is not conducive to an increase.

Clearly out of touch.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 01:22 PM   #2
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

Lange have been increasing prices every year for the last few years (believe this is the third year in a row). The only reason why I heard that prices continue to rise is Lange believe they are on the same playing field as Patek. As such, their watches should be priced similarly to competing Patek watches. A bad strategy IMO for a cold brand.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 01:24 PM   #3
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Indeed. This is the third in a row.

Still, makes no sense.

They aren't Patek. And you don't raise prices to become Patek, you become Patek, then you raise prices.

Furthermore, it's not like they're "cheap" in comparison to Patek.

I love Lange. But my goodness, they make it annoying to collect.
Old 1 March 2020, 01:35 PM   #4
MikeMike
"TRF" Member

I think it is Lange setting the prices (with Richemont signing off on it). If it was Richemont pushing the price increases I would expect VC to have had similar rises. However, with a couple of exceptions (calendar watches), prices have not increased for a few years.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 01:54 PM   #5
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I think it is Lange setting the prices (with Richemont signing off on it). If it was Richemont pushing the price increases I would expect VC to have had similar rises. However, with a couple of exceptions (calendar watches), prices have not increased for a few years.
Seems legit because VC actually experienced a price decrease on some of their pieces mid-2019.
Old 1 March 2020, 02:09 PM   #6
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Maybe they figure out that sales numbers are going to suck in this current climate ( global slowdown, China, virus etc ) so they might as well just increase price to rake in better profits.
Old 1 March 2020, 06:31 PM   #7
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
This seems to have now occurred- the Lange 1 MP rose gold is now £36.8k!
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 06:52 PM   #8
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Happened in Germany tonight.
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 08:37 PM   #9
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ, Rolex, Patek
I was looking at getting a Lange 1 in wg.

If the net price goes up, I would have to rethink my decision

This is ridiculous, especially given the world affairs today
GK12345EMAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:11 PM   #10
Seaborn
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Word on the street is there's an impending +5% increase across the board coming in a couple days.

Are Lange and Richemont that out of touch with reality? The luxury market climate, along with the happenings in the world, along with how secondary market prices are not well supported for Lange (still), is not conducive to an increase.

Clearly out of touch.
Agreed. This is a head scratcher.
Seaborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:31 PM   #11
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK12345EMAIL View Post
I was looking at getting a Lange 1 in wg.

If the net price goes up, I would have to rethink my decision

This is ridiculous, especially given the world affairs today
If there is any, the alternatives have gone up or will soon.
Crisis of all kinds never kept the watchmakers away from increasing prices and Lange is still well worth the money if you compare to Patek ( which is below Lange Finishing Level imo).

The longer you wait the more expensive they are getting.
Old 1 March 2020, 10:38 PM   #12
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
If there is any, the alternatives have gone up or will soon.
Crisis of all kinds never kept the watchmakers away from increasing prices and Lange is still well worth the money if you compare to Patek ( which is below Lange Finishing Level imo).

The longer you wait the more expensive they are getting.
Let’s see if secondary market values increase. I doubt they will
Old 1 March 2020, 10:42 PM   #13
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

I have a different opinion about this.

Lange is tightening up their distribution and has been axing lots of ADs who where known of giving high %%.

I am not observing the secondary market much but QPs and old Datographs have jumped up in the last months.

If you are on the fence about a WG Lange 1 Moonphase, there is currently one new watch for the old price on Chrono24 in the US.
Old 1 March 2020, 11:03 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the Lange watches and also understand that asking and getting are two different things. Ask what you want but the market will control the value and to an extent purchases.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:28 PM   #15
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

Yes I was in boutique other day and they confirmed their 3rd price increase in 11 months was coming in March. Justification seemed to be Lange getting more popular and known... given the secondary market pricing it’s a bit annoying as I was contemplating buying at an AD at a discount (but premium to secondary market) but this would take it too far away and secondary would be only way to go.
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:00 AM   #16
Bloomberg
"TRF" Member

Do we expect a price increase also for the Odysseus ?
Bloomberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 02:03 AM   #17
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Odysseus remains the „old“ price here, €28.000
Old 2 March 2020, 04:18 AM   #18
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Odysseus remains the „old“ price here, €28.000
Are you sure, I was told the UK price was increasing but perhaps they have had a change of mind.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:24 AM   #19
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I do think many of their products are on par or even better in terms of movement design, and even appearance (although more subjective) than Patek. I own both and realize each of them have their respective DNA. But for whatever reason (many of which have been discussed in the past) there is less of a market for Lange than Patek. So maybe by limiting supply as mentioned above- their relative value will increase? Agree this is not the best time to raise prices but perhaps this was in the works prior to what is going with the current world economy.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:27 AM   #20
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Are you sure, I was told the UK price was increasing but perhaps they have had a change of mind.
On the ALS webpage, you find all msrp for your country.

On the german page, most of the watches went up, the Odysseus remains unchanged. If that‘s a glitch or a confirmation, I can‘t tell you.
Old 2 March 2020, 04:46 AM   #21
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I do think many of their products are on par or even better in terms of movement design, and even appearance (although more subjective) than Patek. I own both and realize each of them have their respective DNA. But for whatever reason (many of which have been discussed in the past) there is less of a market for Lange than Patek. So maybe by limiting supply as mentioned above- their relative value will increase? Agree this is not the best time to raise prices but perhaps this was in the works prior to what is going with the current world economy.
I own both brands and I think they are well matched in terms of quality. Patek is obviously better known due to marketing efforts, social media, celebrity fans and I also think being a Swiss manufacturer helps too.

Patek also has a wider appeal due to offering a wider range of timepiece such as sports watches, an area which Lange is just entering.

I do believe Lange is getting better known but will also believe it will stay far behind Patek in the short term.

Langes are obviously expensive new but there are relatively great deals to be had on the secondary market which may slow down in the long term as the brand looks to become boutiques only. So anyone on the fence may wish to make the move sooner rather than later.

For the same money (secondary market) I think you get a better watch with Lange as it stretches a bit further than Patek. I chose a brand new rose gold Lange 1 Moonphase with a substantial discount over a simple sports watch from Patek for nearly the same money.

Just my thoughts of course
ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 04:57 AM   #22
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Another price increase in a contracting economy full of fear at the moment does not seem very wise indeed. Time will tell I suppose .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 05:07 AM   #23
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
On the ALS webpage, you find all msrp for your country.

On the german page, most of the watches went up, the Odysseus remains unchanged. If that‘s a glitch or a confirmation, I can‘t tell you.

In the US, for me prices have always been in euros - checked again today - 5% increase is there but in euros . Anyone have a link to US prices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 05:54 AM   #24
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Yes, sorry, I thought that you could change the regional settings - but it‘s only the language
Old 2 March 2020, 09:20 AM   #25
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I am on a domestic USA flight and the prices I am getting are Euro MSRP including VAT.
So I am not sure what the differences are in VAT vs USA import taxes. I know on top of that there may be sales tax as well. But does anyone know how USA import tax vs VAT compares
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 09:49 AM   #26
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Lange is hardly becoming more popular. They cut a lot of ADs, and that eliminates a large number of potential customers (larger ADs do a pretty good job of pushing other brands on their regulars).

Richemont has mismanaged Lange for years and years, in my opinion. Truly a shame.
Old 2 March 2020, 09:59 AM   #27
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I am not observing the secondary market much but QPs and old Datographs have jumped up in the last months.
I'm not seeing a jump in Dato pricing on the secondary market. It's been relatively stable.
Old 2 March 2020, 11:22 AM   #28
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Lange is hardly becoming more popular. They cut a lot of ADs, and that eliminates a large number of potential customers (larger ADs do a pretty good job of pushing other brands on their regulars).

Richemont has mismanaged Lange for years and years, in my opinion. Truly a shame.
I agree. Dress watches in general are soft currently and I don’t see Lange as being popular. I am a fan of Lange and will probably add one soon.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2020, 12:02 PM   #29
GK12345EMAIL
2024 Pledge Member

It appears prices have gone up by 5% on chrono24

Old 2 March 2020, 12:54 PM   #30
tng11
"TRF" Member

They're out of their mind IMO. I am a happy Lange owner but let's be real, their pieces are not selling at full MSRP and they take a huge hit even after a generous discount. There is no hype or FOMO with ALS (which I like), and higher prices will do nothing to get people to buy them IMO. They would be better served by keeping prices where they are and increasing exclusivity, but we know Richemont doesn't do that. Certain rare ALS pieces have been doing better and better at auction which bodes well for the brand. Overproduction will be their death knell (unfortunately that's what PP is doing with models like the 5270).
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote