The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2020, 03:41 AM   #1
Ballzzz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Has Rolex Ever Produced A Watch With A Power Reserve Indicator

I have not been able to dig any up, that wear the crown. The North Flag from Tudor has one, but otherwise nothing more I can find?

What does everyone think is Rolex position on this stance? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Old 29 March 2020, 03:56 AM   #2
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I hope not.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 06:22 AM   #3
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

I love my North Flag but a power reserve indicator would not look right on Rolex dials. Add the signature cyclops into the mix and it would be a little much. Maybe a power reserve in the back but with a steel caseback that would be pointless.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Doc Savage

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
I have not been able to dig any up, that wear the crown. The North Flag from Tudor has one, but otherwise nothing more I can find?

What does everyone think is Rolex position on this stance? Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
I love the PR indicator on my North Flag - it's one of the reasons I bought the watch.

Rolex watches are mostly about conservative styling and - let's be honest - a certain sameness to their look across the catalog. I don't seem them ever doing a PR indicator.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 08:49 AM   #5
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

PR indicator is the most useful complication after time and perhaps date... In general watches that do have a PR indicator are a big plus in deciding whether or not to purchase. Generally like them not to consume the whole dial though
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
I hope not.
Elaborate?
Old 29 March 2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Maybe they'll put in in one of the Daytonas sub dials.

maybe not

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 08:59 AM   #8
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
PR indicator is the most useful complication after time and perhaps date... In general watches that do have a PR indicator are a big plus in deciding whether or not to purchase. Generally like them not to consume the whole dial though
I do not own a watch with one but I tend to think like you. I think its a very useful function.

I do not think it would work on dj/dd lines but on say a sport model like an explorer 2 that would be fantastic.

What I don't get is why Rolex is so against it.
Old 9 April 2020, 09:11 PM   #9
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballzzz View Post
Elaborate?
There was a time, (long, long ago) when most Rolex owners had 1 watch. It was their everyday watch that they had acquired with great focus. Maybe a DJ, Sub, or President, etc. Since it was the watch that they wore daily, there was no need for PR. It was either running when they put it on in the morning, or it needed service. This was the norm.

Today, the PR is important to some because they have multiple watches they would like to put in rotation, without the need of a winder, or the desire to wind it themselves. It is another feature to appeal to a different way of viewing watch ownership.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:31 PM   #10
Doc Savage

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post
There was a time, (long, long ago) when most Rolex owners had 1 watch. It was their everyday watch that they had acquired with great focus. Maybe a DJ, Sub, or President, etc. Since it was the watch that they wore daily, there was no need for PR. It was either running when they put it on in the morning, or it needed service. This was the norm.

Today, the PR is important to some because they have multiple watches they would like to put in rotation, without the need of a winder, or the desire to wind it themselves. It is another feature to appeal to a different way of viewing watch ownership.
Well said

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:43 PM   #11
77T

To the question, no power reserve in previous Rolex models.

If Tudor marketing believes the PR feature has helped sales then perhaps you’ll see more PR indicators in the future on their models.

As for Rolex future with PR, I could see it for a model where elapsed time is a key feature. For example in any of the divers as a safety feature whilst diving. Or the Daytona in the case of event timing. Having a watch stop during that important timing function could pose a real problem.

A small window on the dial could tastefully display a color applied to a disc underneath. One that starts at green and then gradually rotates as the PR reduces. Gradients from green to yellow to orange and then red.

But let’s agree that a small fraction of those model’s owners ever use the elapsed time function - that is, beyond the time measured to flip a steak on the BBQ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:58 PM   #12
notchview
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD 326933 Black
Power reserve is quite possibly the dumbest thing on an automatic watch. It's the reason why I would never ever buy many Grand Seiko models. If you wear your watch everyday as intended, or wind your watch a few dozen turns after not wearing it for awhile, you do not need to see how much energy is remains. I also find it brings a tacky look to the dial; as if the watchmaker is trying too hard to add another complication to be "different."

The only acceptable time for a power reserve is on: 1) a minute-repeater, where the mechanism uses a lot of power and loss of power during use could cause serious damage or 2) a manual-wind watch - many Lange's have executed this premise well for either instance.
notchview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 12:42 AM   #13
jason042779
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 18038
Wow, who knew this issue was so polarizing? Personally I like the feature, but I don't see Rolex adding it to any of their sports models because they just don't need to. But I think it's great that Tudor continues to experiment with new designs, and if other brands like Patek and Lange employ the feature, could it really be that big of a horological crime?
jason042779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 12:48 AM   #14
Ballzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason042779 View Post
Wow, who knew this issue was so polarizing? Personally I like the feature, but I don't see Rolex adding it to any of their sports models because they just don't need to. But I think it's great that Tudor continues to experiment with new designs, and if other brands like Patek and Lange employ the feature, could it really be that big of a horological crime?
Amazing right, many people get set in there ways. I think the function is useful, even if its just a data point.

Some people keep stating if they wear the watch everyday why do they need it? Well don't you think it would be cool too see how "charged" the watch is depending on your habits. A little insight into what going on inside the watch? I guess time will tell, fun topic nonetheless.
Old 10 April 2020, 01:11 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
Perhaps on a manual wind but on a automatic IMHO one of the most useless complications on a watch, and a complication for complications sake.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 01:51 AM   #16
johnjm
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't mind a PR reserve.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10 April 2020, 04:44 AM   #17
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Cool idea, if done tastefully like the north flag.
Old 10 April 2020, 05:27 AM   #18
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Would love to see a Cellini with a perpetual calendar and a power reserve. The Cellini Moonphase is beautiful and I bet Rolex could make some other unique complicated watches. A Rolex Minute Repeater would be too cool too as well as a Cellini Double Split Chronograph
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 06:15 AM   #19
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

What's the point, especially on an automatic watch?
If it's ticking, it's got power, if it stops, 'kin' wind it!!!

Always thought it was a mistake to clutter the beautiful faces of GS pieces.
It's just an affectation, like putting an Altimeter on motorcyle!
....though, on second thoughts, Mr Kneivel probably had one on his Harley!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 06:45 AM   #20
Cru Jones

I love mine on my dial, and yes, it’s an automatic.

The indicator “speaks” to me. When full, it tells me all is running well. When nearly empty after a couple days out of rotation, it tells me to wind the butter smooth movement to keep the time, date and GMT hand correctly set.

And I just like having the the extra blue hand on the dial.

Maybe “useless” to some, but far from useless to me. Aren’t all mechanical watches pretty much “useless” these days?

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 07:14 AM   #21
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you wear your watch everyday as intended
By your logic, wouldn't the existence of PR indicators prove that at least some watches aren't intended to be worn every day?
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 09:03 AM   #22
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
Actually I like the PR on the 5712, it let’s me know when it’s about to die so I don’t have to reset it.

I think this type of complication is more toward the PP AP VC type watches in general.

Although I would like to see Rolex start incorporating more complicated dials maybe on a brand new line, would be cool, but goes against what their function as tool watches has been in the past, but people would definitely gobble them up fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archer1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 09:27 AM   #23
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Aren’t all mechanical watches pretty much “useless” these days?

Not if they're far and away the primary source of timekeeping as has been the case for me for many decades.
No redundancy what so ever, don't have to fumble with them or juggle them with other items to check the time, no need to charge them up or change batteries, no built in obsolescence, etc etc etc.
Obviously, the servicing component is an inconvenience periodically but it brings into focus the value a good timepiece has in one's life whilst it's away being serviced.
And the more accurate the better

Beautiful watch you have there by the way
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 09:34 AM   #24
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
By your logic, wouldn't the existence of PR indicators prove that at least some watches aren't intended to be worn every day?
Not necessarily.
Context is everything.

Though I like your reasoning and I never ever really thought of it in that way
I suppose PR indicator is a sort of fuel gauge, though I personally consider it to be better placed on the back side of a watch and viewed through a Saphire Crystal for reference every now and then or once or twice a day
Old 10 April 2020, 09:36 AM   #25
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
What's the point, especially on an automatic watch?
If it's ticking, it's got power, if it stops, 'kin' wind it!!!

Always thought it was a mistake to clutter the beautiful faces of GS pieces.
It's just an affectation, like putting an Altimeter on motorcyle!
....though, on second thoughts, Mr Kneivel probably had one on his Harley!
I mostly agree
However Evil was more about distance not altitude
Old 10 April 2020, 10:15 AM   #26
cajunron
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega Seamaster PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Perhaps on a manual wind but on a automatic IMHO one of the most useless complications on a watch, and a complication for complications sake.
I agree. Manual wind maybe, but totally useless on an automatic.
Old 10 April 2020, 05:47 PM   #27
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
I mostly agree
However Evil was more about distance not altitude
Haha, yes, I take your point. (Which makes an altimeter even more pointless.)
I was thinking, more of Evel's Grand Canyon escapade!
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 07:03 PM   #28
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
Haha, yes, I take your point. (Which makes an altimeter even more pointless.)
I was thinking, more of Evel's Grand Canyon escapade!
Ditto
The distances became more and more ambitious.
I wonder if he ever wore a Rolex when performing his feats
It would certainly add a whole new dimension to the "is it safe" threads if he did wear one
Old 13 April 2020, 11:31 PM   #29
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunron View Post
I agree. Manual wind maybe, but totally useless on an automatic.
I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with you and Padi on indicators on manual watches. If manual, you know exactly how long the watch will last since PR is just a function of when the last time you wound and never really variable based on wear like an automatic can be.. On an automatic watch that was a perpetual calendar though, I’d find a PR indicator very useful to know when to wind the watch again without having to go thru all the hoops of resetting a PC or even AC once it actually stopped.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2020, 11:41 PM   #30
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Agree. It's basically a novelty on an automatic watch. The only counter argument I could make would be for an automatic that has a long power reserve such as the IWC Big Pilot, but even then it's still gimmicky.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote