The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 3 April 2020, 05:42 AM   #1
Niblita75
"TRF" Member

Chronometre Bleu vs. Optimum

This is a bit odd writing this as just a month ago I purchased a F.P. Journe Chronometre Bleu. I absolutely love it and I would guess that its taken up 50% of my wrist time since arrival. I find that i can just wear it with almost anything, even lululemon work attire now that we a lot of us are working from home!

What I have found is that I am wearing my Lange 1815 moon phase a lot less. I also own a Rolex Deepsea Sea Dweller. Maybe I am just a two watch person? I’m not sure.

What I am debating is trading my Bleu and 1815 moon phase for an Optimum. I am always attracted to technical complexity (the 1815 moon phase function is accurate to 1,058 years!) and I also feel like the Optimum has more Journe DNA in it. Will it be a classic 10 years from now? No idea.

Interested in thoughts. Am I crazy? Does it make sense?
Niblita75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

The Optimum is FP’s watch, or so the story goes. The watch he wanted for himself. Technically it gives you something, and more importantly it is also a very attractive piece in the metal.

The CB is what you say, one of the most versatile watches you could have. That is an absolute bargain at retail.

I saw go for it. Or wait a few months an buy the new Resonance which will be as good as two Optimums. But you might need to add $70k or more plus those two watches to make that trade happen.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I personally would much rather have the Chronometre Bleu and a Lange 1815 moonphase over an Optimum, but that's just me. I also happen to think Lange makes a superior watch to Journe but that's also just me.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 03:19 PM   #4
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I personally would much rather have the Chronometre Bleu and a Lange 1815 moonphase over an Optimum, but that's just me.
It's not just you, Justindo; I agree!
Old 3 April 2020, 04:08 PM   #5
lanteanflux
"TRF" Member

id Say generally the optimum is not a substitute for the CB. It’s a weird swap, the only similarity they share is the same maker. I’d keep CB and look to add a more signature Journe with the right sided sub dial, whether that be the optimum or something else. That’s what I’m trying to do too.
lanteanflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 05:49 PM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

The optimum is my dream and amazing in person. An amazing piece.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:46 PM   #7
AuspiciousCat
"TRF" Member

I would keep the CB, and save up for the CO. Most of my regrets are for watches that I have sold/traded, as opposed to those that I failed to acquire. You might regret selling the CB in the future.
Don't you feel the DSSD to be a little big after getting used to the CB? Maybe you can sell that to add to the budget of the CO?
Keep us posted! Good luck!
AuspiciousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 09:56 PM   #8
outdoors_guy
"TRF" Member

It sounds like the CB gets plenty of wrist time and you really like it. Why get rid of the CB? you could get rid of the ALS and keep the CB. Do you like the Optimum more than the CB?

I take the view that it is better to have 1 watch you really love than 10 you just like.

It does not sound like you are trying to build a photogenic collection, but rather you just want to get watches you like and will enjoy wearing. If that is the case, this swap absolutely makes sense if the Optimum is a watch you really love.
outdoors_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 12:39 AM   #9
Niblita75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I personally would much rather have the Chronometre Bleu and a Lange 1815 moonphase over an Optimum, but that's just me. I also happen to think Lange makes a superior watch to Journe but that's also just me.
I know there is an endless debate on Lange value, but I agree that they make absolutely fantastic watches with beautiful finishings!
Old 4 April 2020, 12:57 AM   #10
Niblita75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
The Optimum is FP’s watch, or so the story goes. The watch he wanted for himself. Technically it gives you something, and more importantly it is also a very attractive piece in the metal.

The CB is what you say, one of the most versatile watches you could have. That is an absolute bargain at retail.

I saw go for it. Or wait a few months an buy the new Resonance which will be as good as two Optimums. But you might need to add $70k or more plus those two watches to make that trade happen.
I’d love a new or old Resonance! It was actually that watch that got me interested in horology over a decade ago. A client was wearing a platinum with white gold dial version and I immediately fell in love. Unfortunately it feels like the new one will be well out of my range, but I cannot wait to see what Journe has in waiting for us all!
Old 4 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #11
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Look at the back (or front or side or from any orientation), you really think the CB doesn't have Journe DNA???

It's FPJ, all his watches are his watches.

The optimum is a fine watch, but so is the CB. Maybe give it a week and see if you are not caught up in something.

The Rolex and the ALS could go toward the optimum, though.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:27 AM   #12
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I'd do that trade for the CO in a heartbeat. Combined with a DSSD you've got a versatile selection.

While the CB is a wonderful piece, it remains a 3-hander time only watch. The CO gets you the double barrel mainspring that the CB and CS offer, a rementoir, and a unique escapement. The aesthetics are classic Journe, and the 40mm version wears well.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 03:57 AM   #13
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Surprised there's so much love the CB here. It's a really cool watch, but at current prices I would much rather have another Journe piece with more going on!
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 10:08 AM   #14
Niblita75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
Look at the back (or front or side or from any orientation), you really think the CB doesn't have Journe DNA???

It's FPJ, all his watches are his watches.

The optimum is a fine watch, but so is the CB. Maybe give it a week and see if you are not caught up in something.

The Rolex and the ALS could go toward the optimum, though.
That’s totally fair. Just my opinion that when I think of the brand, I think Resonance and Tourbillon Souverain w/Remontoire and Dead Beat. The Bleu absolutely has Journe DNA, but it’s those first two I think of when I think Journe.
Old 4 April 2020, 12:30 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
This is an absolute go for me. I love the optimum.
Old 4 April 2020, 04:50 PM   #16
unknown
"TRF" Member

optimum for the complication ... but for the looks you just can"t beat the CB ( imo with any other watch)
Old 4 April 2020, 10:46 PM   #17
impinth06
"TRF" Member

I brought my 42mm CO this Feb and I absolutely love it. Though decision to make for OP, but I wish I had a CB so I won’t trade that one.. Lange+cash would be my way
impinth06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 12:44 PM   #18
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I’d go optimum as well
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 09:26 PM   #19
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
No that I have experienced either on my wrist but the optimum looks much more interesting. CB is a nice watch but I do not get the 30k premium people are paying for it.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:33 PM   #20
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Chronometre Bleu vs. Optimum

I haven’t seen any CO 40mm for sale and for me I would take the CB in a heartbeat over the 42 CO (ignoring premiums) simply because of fit/size.

(For full disclosure I have a CB and would never sell it barring a financial calamity)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:25 AM   #21
Niblita75
"TRF" Member

I’m actually a little surprised. There have been some good points made. It seems to come down to looks versus function. I was maybe 55/45 thinking of doing it. Now it’s maybe 51/49. Not a bad problem to have of course.

With regard to the Rolex DSSD, that one I am definitely keeping forever. It was my first big purchase after getting my first job out of college. The Lange was more or less an impulse by, especially when I found out you didn’t have to purchase the whole Homage to F.A. Lange set for some $400k!
Old 11 May 2020, 09:41 PM   #22
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

The CB is a great watch.. I would consider a trade though for an optimum 40.

Not an easy choice as the CB has such a fantastic combination of materials and the dial--it is sort of a keeper forever. Not to mention, it is a three hander so servicing will be relatively low. Also, there is a good chance it is discontinued which should help--at the very least production seems to be going lower.
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 12:06 PM   #23
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

The Optimum is truly incredible. My favorite watch in my collection.

It is, indeed, FP's "ideal" watch. He said it many times that the only way to improve his Tourbillon (from a chronometric perspective) was to remove the Tourbillon. And that's essentially what the Optimum is.

Also, the CB is at peak value right now.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 01:02 PM   #24
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
I haven’t seen any CO 40mm for sale and for me I would take the CB in a heartbeat over the 42 CO (ignoring premiums) simply because of fit/size.

(For full disclosure I have a CB and would never sell it barring a financial calamity)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is a good point, I’d go for the 40mm optimum but I only see 42s for sale. What’s retail on the 40mm in platinum?
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 01:04 PM   #25
ialienam
"TRF" Member

Well... I am in a similar position too.

trying to get a black label optimum OR the new resonance.
Love the optimum dial and deadbeat. But the new resonance is wow... Can't believe Journe manages to take it to the next level, and I love the new dial design (I know, it's a love or hate thing) and crown position is much more practical.

People always saying resonance is what makes he is today.
ialienam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 01:06 PM   #26
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
This is a good point, I’d go for the 40mm optimum but I only see 42s for sale. What’s retail on the 40mm in platinum?
I'd just ask the folks at WatchBox. They might have a 40 sitting around waiting for the 42's to move before they list it.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2020, 04:33 PM   #27
d11n
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes
Optimum is as much fun to stare at from back as the front ...rose gold case to match the movement is beautiful to see in person.
d11n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 04:31 PM   #28
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

If you bought your CB a month ago at retail, you will regret if you want to buy back another CB after. They are getting harder n harder to come by at retail price.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2020, 11:24 PM   #29
erredi7734
"TRF" Member

Watch: DB28, MB&F LM1
Great watches! all of them.
I would first of all wait a couple of weeks. then if you are not still using the L&S, i will move that one (I am a big Lange fan but it's your wrist/$)
erredi7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2020, 06:05 PM   #30
tlph
"TRF" Member

i agree with saving up for a CO - trading bleu might be a big regret! you dont know whether it will get discontinued any time sooner and its dial such a versatile dial to look at.
tlph is offline   Reply With Quote