The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 8 April 2020, 09:42 PM   #1
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Ridiculous “Watch Spotting” article on Yahoo! This morning....

Hello everyone! I just read this infuriating article on Yahoo this morning. I know that no one will ever mistake anything written on Yahoo news for intelligent journalism, but still it made me so angry.

I didn’t include the whole article here. But it basically calls out Mr. Cuomo, the Governor of New York, for having the audacity to wear a $15,000 Breguet watch when so many people in his state are dealing with hard times. The comments section were vicious with people saying they couldn’t believe the audacity of Mr. Cuomo for wearing such a luxury when people now have lost their jobs.

I have no real point to my post here. However I thought it would be interesting to hear everyones comments since there are usually a fair amount of posts here on TRF dealing with people shy to wear their Rolex or other expensive timepiece to avoid criticism from others.

Anyway, I hope you and your families are all safe, healthy, and doing well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 09:53 PM   #2
Jeffwb65
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SKX009
I would say that people are making a lot of ignorant assumptions about his choice of timepiece. It's not as if he went out and forced a jewelry store to open during lockdown to buy a watch. And they have no clue how he got the watch. What if it was a gift from someone special in his life, or something nice he bought for himself to mark a milestone in his life. I guarantee he has worn it since long before all this shit started. Regardless of politics, people should find facts and not assume anything.
Jeffwb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 09:54 PM   #3
bremersm
Banned

It is all about perception. Politics 101 says to not wear flashy watches while you campaign. I feel that due to the current issues we are all facing he should have left the watch at home.

I am in no way supporting the comments or the article.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:00 PM   #4
Giangos
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG BLRO, Sub C, WG
Rubbish
I want our leaders of industry of society to proudly wear their watches.

To me it shows accomplishment which is usually the result of endeavour, hard work and enterprise. These are traits that should inspire people.

This is a mere display of petty journalism and likely jealousy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Giangos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:04 PM   #5
DaveDhc
"TRF" Member

If an ignorant person makes a comment and you have no reason to have any respect for the person, who cares what they say. If I got angry in response to comments others made, my life would be miserable.

You say "it made me so angry". Why? To give others that kind of control over your life seems to indicate you may want to rethink how you respond to the world in general. Responding that way will set you up for greater issues down the road.
DaveDhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:04 PM   #6
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice watch. I am glad he wore it and he should wear whatever he wants when he wants.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:06 PM   #7
bwgrayson1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
Always a good reminder that to 99 percent of the world’s population, spending more than a few hundred bucks on a watch seems crazy. That’s why US presidents usually don’t get the nice stuff until after they leave office.
bwgrayson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:08 PM   #8
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Beautiful watch. Glad he’s wearing it. Stupid virus shouldn’t change who you are or what you wear.

If the whiners in society spent half as much time focused on their own life they too would be able to achieve shiny little jewels on the wrists. Instead they sit around and complain about strangers.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:17 PM   #9
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
Perhaps his critics would be happier if he flipped the $15,000 Breguet for 150 G-Shocks, which he could rotate every day during his press conferences.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:21 PM   #10
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

As a WIS, I love his choice. It's a great timepiece. People will say what they say, so what. He should wear whatever he wants.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 10:55 PM   #11
Stud Screw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233
You hear this stuff all the time. But politicians and corporate heads can catch flak for wearing cheap watches as well. Bill Clinton used to get roasted for wearing a Timex Ironman.

“Better to have thunk wrong than not thunk at all.”
Stud Screw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 11:18 PM   #12
edo
"TRF" Member

I'm fine with it, as long he is not some African dictator that have multiple Richard Mille 1 million $ watches and daily hundreds of people/kids in his country literally dies of hunger... so zero problems with accomplished man/celebrities/sport stars wearing their watches...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 11:50 PM   #13
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post

Hello everyone! I just read this infuriating article on Yahoo this morning. I know that no one will ever mistake anything written on Yahoo news for intelligent journalism, but still it made me so angry.

I didn’t include the whole article here. But it basically calls out Mr. Cuomo, the Governor of New York, for having the audacity to wear a $15,000 Breguet watch when so many people in his state are dealing with hard times. The comments section were vicious with people saying they couldn’t believe the audacity of Mr. Cuomo for wearing such a luxury when people now have lost their jobs.

I have no real point to my post here. However I thought it would be interesting to hear everyones comments since there are usually a fair amount of posts here on TRF dealing with people shy to wear their Rolex or other expensive timepiece to avoid criticism from others.

Anyway, I hope you and your families are all safe, healthy, and doing well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest, Cuomo got what he deserves.

This is why Scott Paulson (former head of Federal Reserve), George W Bush, etc all wore Timex marathon watches during the Great Recession ... and through their political lives.

Politicians live in a world of perception. At that level, Cuomo has many “handlers” and promotions staff that should have advised him not to flaunt his wealth to the masses.

Personally, I am totally fine with anything he (or others) have/wear. But I (and most of us here) are not common folk. As mentioned above, most people cannot imagine spending thousands on a watch. His watch (~$15k) cost more than what the poverty level is in his state (~$12k):

https://nytruthcommission.org/statistics

Politics is a show ... and Cuomo f’ed up and he should have known better. If I were running against him, I would ram this down his throat during election time — that’s just the nature of politics.

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:12 AM   #14
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougiebaby View Post
Politics is a show ...
Exactly! The sooner more people realize it is a show... and brinkmanship for their own personal benefit... with bread and circus as entertainment for the masses.

Check out the lifetime free Cadillac heath care plans politicians voted themselves to receive (not Obamacare), how they vote their own pay raises, etc.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:19 AM   #15
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
I don't personally see a problem BUT I can see how it is a problem. Logically it shouldn't matter but that's politics and being a public figure.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:04 AM   #16
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

There is nothing wrong with him wearing this. It is not like he was photographed shopping for a new watch.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:11 AM   #17
Dougiebaby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona BLNR SubLV
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Exactly! The sooner more people realize it is a show... and brinkmanship for their own personal benefit... with bread and circus as entertainment for the masses.

Check out the lifetime free Cadillac heath care plans politicians voted themselves to receive (not Obamacare), how they vote their own pay raises, etc.

Yes, that is the “show” he decided to play in and he has to follow the “show’s” rules.

If you are a rock star, that “show” expects you to live like a rock star (sex, drugs & rock n roll).

If you are a politician or religious leader, those “shows” expects you to be a servant to the people.

Reminds me of a local, young minister whose evangelical church has exploded. They have numerous church branches now in the states and Canada - Elevation Church. He has 10’s of thousands of followers. But when he built a 12,000 sq ft home for his young family, the press has a field day on him.

On a side note, every time I see your username I am reminded on Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy the Silence”

https://youtu.be/aGSKrC7dGcY

Dougiebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:19 AM   #18
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Somebody send Cuomo a cocktail time
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:33 AM   #19
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

He can wear what he wants. He plays the political roll and that's why he makes the big bucks. His suit was probably over a grand and no body had anything to say about that. Next time let him come out in jeans and a sweater, and people will complain about all the money this guy has and cant buy a suit.

SM-N960U
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:44 AM   #20
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
There is NO winning in politics!

I support everyone's right to: Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness!
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:46 AM   #21
theloxmyth
Banned

Soap annihilates fatty virus wrappers.

God bless him and us all.

You can't dodge a bullet because you can't anticipate it.
You CAN dodge the illness, by avoiding it

Personally, EVERY RECENT time (3 times in 14 days only!) I've left my virus-free sanctuary, I've left my wristwatch on my desk, for two weeks : (

I do not care to have a viral-strand hitch a ride upon it and follow a protocol upon returning home, head to foot.

SOAP, simple soap, destroys the fatty wrapper of the protein strand.
Soap annihilates fatty virus wrappers.

Wanna HAVE TO repeatedly wash The hitchhikers off of all your stuff?!

Stay home, as much as possible.
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 06:11 AM   #22
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:

This is why Scott Paulson (former head of Federal Reserve), George W Bush, etc all wore Timex marathon watches during the Great Recession ... and through their political lives.

Politicians live in a world of perception. At that level, Cuomo has many “handlers” and promotions staff that should have advised him not to flaunt his wealth to the masses.

Personally, I am totally fine with anything he (or others) have/wear. But I (and most of us here) are not common folk. As mentioned above, most people cannot imagine spending thousands on a watch. His watch (~$15k) cost more than what the poverty level is in his state (~$12k):

Politics is a show ... and Cuomo f’ed up and he should have known better. If I were running against him, I would ram this down his throat during election time — that’s just the nature of politics.

EXACTLY. Well said.

Perception is key. It's important for them not to be tone-deaf to public suffering during a crisis. Just a bad tactical decision.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 07:44 AM   #23
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

The reality is that most people are incredibly stupid and perception is more or less reality because of it. His salary is public information and IMO totally reasonable for the work he is doing.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 08:37 AM   #24
77T

In times like these, when some factions are hellbent in fomenting dissent, a good ear to the ground could avoid wristwear becoming the story.

A Seiko in time saves nine. Just my 2¢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 10:19 AM   #25
outdoors_guy
"TRF" Member

I could imagine that he thought he was relatively safe with Breguet. It is really only a watch that people into watches will recognize, so it is arguably not flaunting of wealth. If this forum is any indication, people into watches are not bothered by the choice of watch either.
outdoors_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 11:02 AM   #26
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
The reality is that most people are incredibly stupid...
Wow.

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:05 PM   #27
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Thanks for sharing, I’ve been watching his daily briefings and wondered what watch he was wearing.
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 02:58 PM   #28
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors_guy View Post
I could imagine that he thought he was relatively safe with Breguet. It is really only a watch that people into watches will recognize, so it is arguably not flaunting of wealth. If this forum is any indication, people into watches are not bothered by the choice of watch either.
My first thought as well, especially on a rubber strap.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 11:47 PM   #29
RTG

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:

Funny you actually prefer politicians who pander to their constituents. That happens to be what I find most disgusting about politics.

Cuomo was born rich, he'll die rich, he'll be rich every day in between. Everybody in NY knows that. He could wear a 10 million dollar watch. Wont cost him or gain him a single vote. I get the 'handlers' industry, but they have proven to not win elections. Thankfully that is a dying breed.
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 12:35 AM   #30
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
If you are a politician or religious leader, those “shows” expects you to be a servant to the people.
Yet they only serve themselves and their connected friends, mainly, with their voters being placated. Follow the money, it becomes quite obvious who politicians are servants to.

Quote:
On a side note, every time I see your username I am reminded on Depeche Mode’s “Enjoy the Silence”
Great tune! Enjoy the music
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote