The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 April 2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Rolex Is Best
"TRF" Member

Watchwinder for multiple watches or no?

Hi guys, first time poster, long time lurker.

I currently have an 8 watch winder with 6 rolex watches going. Is it better to leave the watches in winder as opposed to not? I've seen little snippets here and there on the forum with some saying that leaving in winder will "wear out" the watch and others posting their multiple watch collection in some sort of non winder watch case.

Which is best?
Rolex Is Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
To wind, or not to wind? That is the question. I choose to wind. But I don't wind all the watches. I only wind the watches in the rotation and for me that's about 3 or 4. I don't own an 8 watch winder, and I don't have 8 watches. I would argue that a machine needs to be exercised so the winder is necessary for the watch. I keep the pieces I wear on the winder to keep them running optimally, and if I don't wear a watch it gets sold. I don't have any investment watches that are sitting and not being worn. I must say that my idea makes no sense if all the watches were manual wind. Would we be manual winding every watch or letting them set until needed?
Old 10 April 2020, 08:03 AM   #3
SeaDuba
"TRF" Member

I am also new here and don't have a Rolex or 8 watches yet. I do have a Omega Planet Ocean and never used a winder. Just would reset it whenever I would wear it. I recently was talking to an Omega service representative who suggested a winder. Wish I would have done it a long time ago. It is nice to have it ready to wear.
SeaDuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 08:06 AM   #4
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
I don't use winders. Multiple times at RSC I was advised not to do so, unnecessary wear and tear on the movement.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 08:11 AM   #5
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I had a 10 watch winder, it was overkill. I junked that and now rotate two at a time into a two watch winder and leave the others in the safe.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 08:15 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I have a couple of Orbita's and really like them.
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 08:18 AM   #7
Rolex Is Best
"TRF" Member

Thx for reply guys. Appreciate it. I also hear that its not good to stop and start a watch (hence the watchwinder). So it looks like keeping it in a winder is worse than not keeping it in a winder?? Have a grey dealer Ive dealt with for 10 years..he says winder.

Keep the opinions rolling guys..thx
Rolex Is Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 08:48 AM   #8
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Is Best View Post
Thx for reply guys. Appreciate it. I also hear that its not good to stop and start a watch (hence the watchwinder). So it looks like keeping it in a winder is worse than not keeping it in a winder?? Have a grey dealer Ive dealt with for 10 years..he says winder.

Keep the opinions rolling guys..thx

Orbita Sparta. Their design cannot overwind.

I also have wolf and will set this to 350 bidirectional tpd to hold a charge. It won't top off at that rate. If you put it on with a full wind you can set a delay to allow it to unwind before it holds it.

The anti winder people put up a straw man of a $50 Amazon or eBay winder that just turns and turns day and night and grinds the guts of your watch to a dusty pulp. Not the case with a good winder.
Old 10 April 2020, 08:54 AM   #9
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watchwinder for multiple watches or no?

Here's mine as a GIF. It does this once every 14 minutes. At the angle the watch is held the full weight of the rotor is not applied.
Old 10 April 2020, 08:57 AM   #10
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
I was told by RSC winders add unnecessary wear and tear on the movements. I use a watch case, or put them back in the box.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 09:06 AM   #11
Cryten
"TRF" Member

If a winder was necessary for the heath of the movement you'd see all the watches on them in the ADs.

They're a convenience, nothing more. I prefer not to have my running unnecessarily. Setting a watch doesn't take long.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 10:16 AM   #12
Brny11
"TRF" Member

If you rotate watches every few days, you will have to unscrew frequently (which is not necessarily an issue) but running a movement vs unscrewing the crown will all have an impact over 5-10 years. Possibly fluids will dry up if you hardly run the watch.

Again making this all up as I am no expert, but it would just seem to me there is an impact regardless what you choose.

If I was wearing each watch once a week, I’d 100% keep on a winder for convenience. If watches go weeks or months without wear, keep it in watch box.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:33 PM   #13
robmack
"TRF" Member

Timezone has a very interesting article on watch winders and their effect on watches. Essentially the winder imparts motion on the automatic movement which doesn't correctly simulate the random wrist movement that the same watch would encounter if worm.. Thus the repetitive and predictive movement of the winder causes unnecessary wear on components for which it was not intended. I'd say a winder capable of accommodating a set of watches in a rotation (3 - 4) would be sufficient, especially if they are complications with day and date. Otherwise, manually wind and set the watch when you rotate.

TT 1973 DJ36 Silver 16013
SS 2019 DJ41 Blue 126334
robmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2020, 02:40 PM   #14
Ocog
"TRF" Member

Not sure if i'm doing this correctly but I put whatever watch I want to wear on the winder the night before. In the morning, it is ready to wear. Plus, I don't set the time on my timepieces.

I think there is more wear and tear if you hand wind. Crown and Tube will take a beating.
Ocog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 10:15 AM   #15
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex Is Best View Post
Hi guys, first time poster, long time lurker.

I currently have an 8 watch winder with 6 rolex watches going. Is it better to leave the watches in winder as opposed to not? I've seen little snippets here and there on the forum with some saying that leaving in winder will "wear out" the watch and others posting their multiple watch collection in some sort of non winder watch case.

Which is best?
I would say it all depends. If you know you're not going to wear the watch for a good long while, put it in the display case. If you want all your watches to be "grab and go" whenever you want them, a watch winder is the way to go. It elevates all of my self-winding watches to the "grab and go" status of my magnificent Oysterquartz.

And I like that.
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 10:19 AM   #16
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
I wear mine 5 days a week. Then Friday after 5 on the winder till Monday morning back to work.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 10:23 AM   #17
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryten View Post
If a winder was necessary for the heath of the movement you'd see all the watches on them in the ADs.

They're a convenience, nothing more. I prefer not to have my running unnecessarily. Setting a watch doesn't take long.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 10:39 AM   #18
Generation
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ36 & BB58
I've read that watch winders are only necessary for watches with complications like moon phases, where setting the watch would take considerable time. For time only or time and date, forgo the watch winder.
Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:15 PM   #19
47Fountain
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & Deep sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexRog View Post
I would say it all depends. If you know you're not going to wear the watch for a good long while, put it in the display case. If you want all your watches to be "grab and go" whenever you want them, a watch winder is the way to go. It elevates all of my self-winding watches to the "grab and go" status of my magnificent Oysterquartz.

And I like that.
Same here. I rotate through my automatics every couple of days. They are all on winders so they are always at the ready. If they were going to be stored long term, they would be in their original boxes & in the safe.
47Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:18 PM   #20
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

How did Padi (Peter) miss this one for 2 months? Busy with the bounders and scammers I guess.

Well I hope I can remember his byname for winders...oh yeah, wrists...that’s it...ya got the best winders in the world on the end of each forearm.

BTW, I do have 2 twin cuff Wolf winders running in my safe as I write...so I sort of don’t follow all the advice.

Some feel the constant wear and tear is problematic. My thought is Rolex set their suggested maintenance intervals presuming a watch is worn each day. Those watches get even more action than one “treading water” on a winder. So I don’t buy the theory that a winder shortens the working life of a watch before it needs a service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:30 PM   #21
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I have had a Rolex run constantly for 15 years without any additional wear. You can’t expose your automatic to additional wear by leaving them on the winder constantly.
Mystro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 12:54 PM   #22
manfredlai
"TRF" Member

I just have one and almost wearing it everyday. Putting it in a winder is so convenience and no need to adjust the watch daily.
manfredlai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:01 PM   #23
t3bkmzd
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800, DDs
Winders are fun to look at. Set up similarly to Rado63. Amazed how my Orbita has held up well for the past 3 years without switching it off. Sponge watch cushions are slowly wearing though.
t3bkmzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:16 PM   #24
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

Here's mine as a GIF. It does this once every 14 minutes. At the angle the watch is held the full weight of the rotor is not applied.
Which winder is this?
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 01:25 PM   #25
AnalyseLindsay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
I was told by RSC winders add unnecessary wear and tear on the movements. I use a watch case, or put them back in the box.
And many luxury brands e.g. Patek provide a winder with their grand complications
AnalyseLindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 02:57 PM   #26
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generation View Post
I've read that watch winders are only necessary for watches with complications like moon phases, where setting the watch would take considerable time. For time only or time and date, forgo the watch winder.
Watch winders are necessary if you have multiple watches and you want to be able to "grab and go" without re-setting. It's all part of the posh lifestyle, go with it man!!

The only Rolex I own that doesn't need to be on a watch winder is my Oysterquartz: it's always ready to go, but then again so are ALL of my other watches since they are on winders.
Old 22 June 2020, 03:00 PM   #27
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
I have had a Rolex run constantly for 15 years without any additional wear. You can’t expose your automatic to additional wear by leaving them on the winder constantly.
That's great if you just wear one watch.
Old 22 June 2020, 03:10 PM   #28
APPRF
"TRF" Member

I enjoy winding and setting my watch before wearing. If I'm in a hurry I usually do it when stuck in traffic or on a red light. A watch is not for telling time to me, it's men's jewelry nowadays. I have my phone, my car time display to tell time until I reach a place to wind, and set my watch if I need to. I wear my watches at home too. I wear each two or three hours a day unless I'm working around the house or garden.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2020, 04:40 PM   #29
Ihatecheese
Banned

Fun gadget for your perpetual date watch

I personally don't see the value in winding my 3 hand and maybe a date, watches when I'm not wearing them, it takes a few seconds to adjust. They also seem to survive in the ADs without being wound constantly!
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2020, 02:40 PM   #30
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synrrgy View Post
Which winder is this?

Orbita Sparta