The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2019, 12:19 PM   #91
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

I had a similar experience with speedy and the new smp at omega boutique. I was wearing my hefty breitling super avenger, and the bracelets on the omegas just felt so flimsy in comparison, My fault i guess.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 01:11 AM   #92
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
Why is the resale so low on second hand speedys?
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 10:19 AM   #93
Jabbo84
Banned

Watch: Rolex/Piaget
.....thread has gone dead for some reason. Hope it’s not anything I said
Jabbo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 08:23 AM   #94
Yoda_Eating_Pizza
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbo84 View Post
I reckon ubiquity. They're not that hard to come by, so demand is pretty easily met by supply.
Yoda_Eating_Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 10:46 AM   #95
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda_Eating_Pizza View Post
I reckon ubiquity. They're not that hard to come by, so demand is pretty easily met by supply.
which is how it should be in an "ideal" world for collectors who aren't resellers. Although to be fair this is one of the reasons I haven't purchased a speedy yet. I know i can always get one in stock.
Old 5 December 2019, 11:33 AM   #96
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfury View Post
which is how it should be in an "ideal" world for collectors who aren't resellers. Although to be fair this is one of the reasons I haven't purchased a speedy yet. I know i can always get one in stock.

I’m confused. So the availability is holding you back? When will it be desirable then? When it’s hard to get? When there’s a waitlist for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 01:08 PM   #97
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
From my experience (outside this forum) nine times out of ten, the guy wearing a Speedmaster is someone who has at least some basic appreciation for watches. The act of manually winding a watch only appeals to those people who actually care.

It's the opposite for the guys wearing a Rolex. Nine times out of ten, they sound like you.

Savage!!

But I agree

astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 03:21 PM   #98
DLCU2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Go Broke
Funny. Living in NYC, I see Daytona’s (both ceramic and pre ceramic) far more than Speedys.
Old 7 December 2019, 09:52 AM   #99
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
I’m confused. So the availability is holding you back? When will it be desirable then? When it’s hard to get? When there’s a waitlist for it?

yeah weirdly enough the fact that I can get one whenever I want makes me not feel the rush to buy one. I'm hesitant chasing other SS rolex models just because I'm afraid that it might be the hype that's driving me (although the no date sub was definitely on my mind regardless).

I might be in the market for a purchase in a year or so & will probably just buy second hand to get a larger discount. I buy for enjoyment and not resale value but if i can get a like-new for cheaper then why not?
Old 20 December 2019, 02:20 PM   #100
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, the cases are full of Speedmaster. Wonder why
A maker who is willing and able to meet demand ?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2019, 11:17 PM   #101
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
A maker who is willing and able to meet demand ?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Not so fast...I picked up a sapphire sandwich yesterday...the AD was expecting 3, only got one, was supposed to get 4 hesalite, only received 2. The rest are back ordered...luckily I only had a two week wait, but I’m taking my name off the Daytona list because I fell in love with the White Seamaster. Picking that up tomorrow

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2019, 09:23 PM   #102
zsolt
"TRF" Member

I just got a Speedmaster a few days ago I can't take it off my wrist. In my opinion, it wears better than my GMT master 2 ln. I should have bought it a long time ago.
zsolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2019, 11:01 PM   #103
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
I have had every Rolex sport model...vintage and new...none are as enjoyable to me as the Speedmaster...I love the size...vintage feel...and looks awesome on a bracelet or strap...and the look incredible new or vintage...and I’ve never encountered snobbery in person or in print from an omega owner...can’t say the same for other brands
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 01:48 AM   #104
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
Your being a bit harsh! I have 3 Rolex, two modern and one 5 digit and then my Speedy. The Speedy is a watch from the 50's and 60's still being made today to very close the same specs as the original which is the charm. Its like comparing a 60's Porsche 911 to a modern one. They are both great but worlds apart. To each their own though, if it didn't sing to you then save your money.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 02:14 AM   #105
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
On line pricing & AD discounting have a knock on effect on the second hand market
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2019, 02:37 AM   #106
icol
Banned

Some people might not like the watch but for me as a new watch collector (hopefully), I really have to have a Speedy. What is a collection without a Speedy in the mix.
icol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2019, 03:36 AM   #107
DoubleJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 & 16570
The speedmaster has really grown on me. I looked at it a few years back, but wasn’t really impressed. Now it’s on my list of must buy!

DoubleJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 12:09 AM   #108
Rolex-istanbul
"TRF" Member

I owned one than sold it to buy submariner. It looks cool especially with leather bands. but the main function accuracy time keeping is no where near to Rolex. It gained 7 seconds a day. if I compare it to my sub now it gained 1 second a year. The choice is clear for me. If they make more accurate one with date window same case I will buy it again.
Rolex-istanbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 06:17 AM   #109
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-istanbul View Post
I owned one than sold it to buy submariner. It looks cool especially with leather bands. but the main function accuracy time keeping is no where near to Rolex. It gained 7 seconds a day.
My Omegas (I currently have two Speedmasters and one Seamaster) are not as accurate as any of my Rolexes. You have a good point.

However, the Omega watches have their own charms, and many of them (esp. Speedys) are available gray market at substantial discounts still. So, yes, the resale sucks compared to Rolex, but when you consider that you can obtain a new watch (versus an unobtainable Rolex) at a discount, then the resale hit isn't so bad.

And since I have multiple watches, alternate frequently, more often than not the watch I want to wear has run down, so I have to set the time anyway. So being a few seconds fast every day is not a big deal.

All three of my Omega watches, all bought new, cost only slightly more than the used Daytona that I sold earlier this year. And I could never read the time on the Daytona....

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:20 AM   #110
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex-istanbul View Post
I owned one than sold it to buy submariner. It looks cool especially with leather bands. but the main function accuracy time keeping is no where near to Rolex. It gained 7 seconds a day. if I compare it to my sub now it gained 1 second a year. The choice is clear for me. If they make more accurate one with date window same case I will buy it again.
Irrelevant for a speedie IMO. If it was out a lot then it could be annoying but you wind it almost every day, so it's not hard to knock it back a minute once a week. Part of the appeal for me is the winding interaction.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 1 January 2020, 10:53 PM   #111
NyCSnEaK
"TRF" Member

I have 3 Rolex watches now and tbh, the Speedy gets more wrist time. Out of all my pieces, I wear my Blancpain Bathyscaphe Dink the most. Go figure, I like somethings more than Rolex. My Rolex’s consist of DD, Pepsi, and Hulk.
NyCSnEaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #112
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
I have the opposite view. I sometimes get tired of the Rolex look with circle markers. Looks boring.

The speedmaster on the other hand had that really tool watch look to it.

Now I wind it and wear it everyday. It’s very low key not blingy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:09 AM   #113
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
This thread....
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2020, 04:06 AM   #114
storm66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
A Speedy Pro is basically a vintage watch that they still make. That’s why it’s so f’n cool. You can’t compare it to a modern Rolex, they’re two totally different watches and serve different purposes. Imagine if Rolex still made the 5513 or the 1680 - it would have a plastic crystal, no white gold surrounds on the hour markers, a hollow rattly bracelet and a piece of crap clasp...and it would be awesome! But you wouldn’t compare it to a modern ceramic Sub.

I have modern Rolex in my collection as well, as most of us do, and the feeling is definitely different. But I wouldn’t ever be without my old Speedy Pro. In fact you’ve just inspired me to take off my BLNR and throw the Speedy on.
Spot on.....
storm66 is offline   Reply With Quote