The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 January 2020, 08:14 AM   #1
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Omega Seamaster 300 Review

I’ve had this for a couple of weeks and have enjoyed wearing it so much I thought I’d write down my thoughts.

I’ve got a few watches and the last couple of years have seen pieces come and go. I always seemed to be chasing a dream, rather than buying pieces I really liked!

This piece came to my attention on holiday last Summer where I saw a fella wearing one on the Bond Nato. It looked superb, a good balance of vintage with modern.

The opportunity arose to trade a piece that I hadn’t bonded with and I got it without trying it on.

First impressions were great. Case size is perfect, officially 41mm but actually 40.5, and sits a little high due to the nato strap, but I like that having got used to wearing Panerai as my daily. The matte dial and cut-outs for the lume is lovely and gives the watch a great vintage feel, particularly with the white seconds hand, and broad-arrow hour and minute hands. The lume is acceptable, but not at my Panerai Level. The exhibition back and domed crystal is a real bonus.

It feels well put together. The bezel turns with a strong click and the crown unscrews and screws back in with purpose. Time keeping seems good (I’m not hung up on milliseconds), the power reserve as advertised and in fact the movement is so smooth I had to check it was winding when I first got it!

It comes with an impressive box and the OEM nato mine came with feels very well made (as it should for £130 retail).

Negatives? The only one I can think of is trying to identify it as there’s so many Seamaster models!

This one really feels like a keeper (along with my Panerai) and in my opinion great value, particularly second hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DD0C828E-338F-400D-808E-48E7AD2FD737.jpeg (174.5 KB, 1234 views)
File Type: jpeg CA128143-4341-415F-8FFF-26E3641C83E3.jpeg (122.0 KB, 1220 views)
File Type: jpeg 79C62B03-4588-4DF2-8EFA-95323D5F67D9.jpeg (216.9 KB, 1220 views)
Old 9 January 2020, 10:00 AM   #2
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I had one of these for a year or so and wore it daily. It took a beating and was a great watch. I ended up getting a Rolex BLNR which I wore daily so I eventually moved the SM300 out because I wasn’t using it. I really liked the watch but I missed the date. It was my first non-date watch and it was a good lesson that I want/need a watch with the date. Congratulations on your watch and thanks for the review. It makes me wonder if I should have kept it.
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 05:58 PM   #3
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeRookie View Post
I had one of these for a year or so and wore it daily. It took a beating and was a great watch. I ended up getting a Rolex BLNR which I wore daily so I eventually moved the SM300 out because I wasn’t using it. I really liked the watch but I missed the date. It was my first non-date watch and it was a good lesson that I want/need a watch with the date. Congratulations on your watch and thanks for the review. It makes me wonder if I should have kept it.
I have a Panerai 233, date, gmt, manual wind etc; so this is the antithesis and that’s why it seems to fit. As an only watch, I think I might miss a date function.
Old 9 January 2020, 06:00 PM   #4
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
Old 10 January 2020, 06:45 AM   #5
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdogg View Post
Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
A pleasure. Thanks for commenting
Old 10 January 2020, 09:34 AM   #6
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Very nice looking piece.
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 11:03 AM   #7
francowearsawatch
Banned

Awesome look. Does the second hand ever bother you not being silver like the other hands? That detail always had me questioning if I want that in my collection or not.
francowearsawatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 06:56 PM   #8
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francowearsawatch View Post
Awesome look. Does the second hand ever bother you not being silver like the other hands? That detail always had me questioning if I want that in my collection or not.
Absolutely not. I love it. It gives a real vintage feeling and just suits the watch.
Old 12 January 2020, 01:33 AM   #9
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Going on 5 years with mine. Tough as nails, but appropriate for any occasion. Beautiful classic looks, with the latest technology. Congrats on yours. Wear it well!

Old 12 January 2020, 01:35 AM   #10
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
What are your thoughts on the patinaed hands? I had a JLC Geophysique that had that and I did not like it. OTOH, I have an IWC Chronoflieger which is 20 years old and has a natural patina and I like it.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 02:26 AM   #11
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
No doubt the SM300 is a nice piece. I'm a Sub fan and do own a few others as well. I bought this one new a few months back and I just couldn't bond with it as the fit and feel on my 7" flat wrist which works for all of my other pieces but not this one. The SM300 felt a little top heavy and sat too high for my liking, nice bracelet as well but not satisfied with the clasp. Again, this is a nice piece it just didn't sing to me so i had to let it go after only a month.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 07:38 PM   #12
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=JP(Canada);10280953]Going on 5 years with mine. Tough as nails, but appropriate for any occasion. Beautiful classic looks, with the latest technology. Congrats on yours. Wear it well!

Thank you very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
What are your thoughts on the patinaed hands? I had a JLC Geophysique that had that and I did not like it. OTOH, I have an IWC Chronoflieger which is 20 years old and has a natural patina and I like it.
I don’t mind them at all. In fact with the matte dial, the whole look works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
No doubt the SM300 is a nice piece. I'm a Sub fan and do own a few others as well. I bought this one new a few months back and I just couldn't bond with it as the fit and feel on my 7" flat wrist which works for all of my other pieces but not this one. The SM300 felt a little top heavy and sat too high for my liking, nice bracelet as well but not satisfied with the clasp. Again, this is a nice piece it just didn't sing to me so i had to let it go after only a month.
I’m used to wearing a tall watch as my daily is a Panerai. I’m not a fan of the bracelet and clasp and got mine without .
Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 12 January 2020, 09:45 PM   #13
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Damn, just when I was over this watch. I open this thread and everything about it just seems perfect.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2020, 11:04 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Cool watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 12:06 AM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Damn, just when I was over this watch. I open this thread and everything about it just seems perfect.
It really is. And you can get 3 of these for a 14060!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Cool watch.
Thank you.
Old 14 January 2020, 10:25 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Rootbeer7, thanks for writing this. I've had the titanium version on bracelet since it was first introduced and I wear this for my work as personal trainer. This watch has proven indestructible, accurate and I wouldn't trade it for a Rolex Submariner. I've never seen anyone wearing one and my only issue is the faux patina. I would prefer a version with white hands and indices.
Like you I have trouble identifying this model by name since there are so many Omega Seamasters.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2020, 02:31 AM   #17
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Rootbeer7, thanks for writing this. I've had the titanium version on bracelet since it was first introduced and I wear this for my work as personal trainer. This watch has proven indestructible, accurate and I wouldn't trade it for a Rolex Submariner. I've never seen anyone wearing one and my only issue is the faux patina. I would prefer a version with white hands and indices.
Like you I have trouble identifying this model by name since there are so many Omega Seamasters.

The faux patina is a real divider of opinion! I take it for what it is and actually with the white seconds hand it just looks right. I definitely prefer to a Submariner, for rarity value alone!!
Old 18 January 2020, 03:52 AM   #18
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Great looking watch. Congratulations!
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 06:48 AM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Great looking watch. Congratulations!
Thank you.
Old 19 January 2020, 11:14 AM   #20
"TRF" Member

I am waiting for the SS version to be introduced with METAS certification before I add it to my collection. Well done on your review, by the way.
6538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 06:21 PM   #21
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6538 View Post
I am waiting for the SS version to be introduced with METAS certification before I add it to my collection. Well done on your review, by the way.
Thank you.
Old 20 January 2020, 08:31 AM   #22
flw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610LN
Fantastic watch and a great review. I've had mine for over four years, and it gets a LOT of wrist time. Appropriate for almost any occasion, and it's built like a tank.
flw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 02:22 AM   #23
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flw View Post
Fantastic watch and a great review. I've had mine for over four years, and it gets a LOT of wrist time. Appropriate for almost any occasion, and it's built like a tank.
I totally agree.
Old 21 January 2020, 05:21 AM   #24
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

My fav seamaster, by far.

Love the sand-blasted sandwich dial, the slim-lug case, the highly visible hands, the slightly domed sapphire, the see-thru case back, and even the faux patina lume. Lol
The automatic movement is spot-on.

& I agree.. it looks amazing on nato.

I haven’t used the bracelet since I first got it. Lol.
Guess I didn’t like the way the bracelet sits with the lugs. Sort of squarish from the side profile. Nevertheless, it’s a very nice bracelet with micro adjustment.

It’s my go-to watch for traveling over-seas and outdoor trips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AA6BD88C-A166-4D11-906C-42696ACE1A2C.jpeg (88.1 KB, 582 views)
Old 23 January 2020, 11:49 AM   #25
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I actually like this Seamaster as compared to the 300M. Hopefully they will extend the Master Chronometer movement to these steel ones soon.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 05:46 PM   #26
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
My fav seamaster, by far.

Love the sand-blasted sandwich dial, the slim-lug case, the highly visible hands, the slightly domed sapphire, the see-thru case back, and even the faux patina lume. Lol
The automatic movement is spot-on.

& I agree.. it looks amazing on nato.

I haven’t used the bracelet since I first got it. Lol.
Guess I didn’t like the way the bracelet sits with the lugs. Sort of squarish from the side profile. Nevertheless, it’s a very nice bracelet with micro adjustment.

It’s my go-to watch for traveling over-seas and outdoor trips.
I’m not a fan of Omega bracelets, this was nato only and a great price. I’ve now put it on a black leather nato (20mm) and it looks superb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klenboy View Post
I actually like this Seamaster as compared to the 300M. Hopefully they will extend the Master Chronometer movement to these steel ones soon.
I’ve never liked the look of the more usual Seamaster.
Old 23 January 2020, 06:35 PM   #27
mnmallen
"TRF" Member

Another watch to add to the list..
mnmallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2020, 10:59 PM   #28
sl954
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP300
Great review, nice watch!
sl954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 04:08 AM   #29
drjrhc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Calibre 11 Monaco
I live my Spectre variant.

They really are great watches, and are versatile on NATO or strap. Haven’t used bracelet given that I don’t want to mark the clasp up. Don’t really miss the bracelet either.

Currently have one of the 21mm Planet Ocean straps mounted with curved spring bars, and love the looks. Will stay on this for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
drjrhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2020, 09:50 PM   #30
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjrhc View Post
I live my Spectre variant.

They really are great watches, and are versatile on NATO or strap. Haven’t used bracelet given that I don’t want to mark the clasp up. Don’t really miss the bracelet either.

Currently have one of the 21mm Planet Ocean straps mounted with curved spring bars, and love the looks. Will stay on this for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great piece. The lollipop seconds hand is such a cool detail.

Tags
coaxial , omega , omega seamaster 300