The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 25 August 2020, 06:16 AM   #31
Gomler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daOnlyBG View Post
For starters, where's the link? Which critique are we looking at?

As for the points, it's time to start calling b.s. on the four points that the critic made.

1. The +/- 2 seconds is the average, across varying positions, speed discrepancy. Did he only test one position, or multiple? Also, Rolex does cover that performance under warranty. An authorized dealer should be able to adjust the speed as needed. Mine certainly did.

2. Is this actually an issue?

3. He's hearing the ball-bearings in the upgraded movement. You have to listen closely to hear it, but yes, it's audible. The good thing? It's not harmful to the movement. Many people here (yours truly included) were initially alarmed about this, but our watches have been just fine, and the authorized Rolex watchmakers have given the movements the clear.

4. Of all the 126710BLROs (granted, the Pepsi) that I've seen, the rehaut crown has been displayed by a shockingly consistent discrepancy, leading me to suspect this is actually standard, and could be an anti-counterfeit protection measure. I'm far, far more skeptical of a GMT-Master where the crown on the rehaut is aligned 100% perfectly.

Again, it would be nice to see the link to know the context and details of this guy's criticisms. What you've mentioned, though, does not sound serious with regards to the actual production, design, and robustness of the Rootbeer GMT-Master.

laugh....
Gomler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:35 AM   #32
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Machine time-tests are not necessarily indicative to what you get in real life wearing it on your arm.

Most of your complaints are actually non-issues and have been answered in the preceding posts.

Dial can be adjusted slightly to align to the rehaut crown. Not A Big Deal. RSC does this from time to time.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:36 AM   #33
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
The crown misalignment issue is very disappointing. Even replicas are better than this!
Pics or it didn’t happen!

(Actually, don’t )
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:37 AM   #34
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I’m shocked...

SHOCKED, I tell you!!!

A cockeyed coronet on the rehaut

Rolex...how do you expect me to flaunt my wrist with a cockeyed coronet???

What will the others say?

They’ll laugh at me and call me a cockeyed coronet owner...my whole world is crashing around me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:42 AM   #35
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
I’m shocked...

SHOCKED, I tell you!!!

A cockeyed coronet on the rehaut

Rolex...how do you expect me to flaunt my wrist with a cockeyed coronet???

What will the others say?

They’ll laugh at me and call me a cockeyed coronet owner...my whole world is crashing around me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You have to agree though, that something that could be fixed so easily shouldn't happen on what many consider to be a high end time piece.
Old 25 August 2020, 06:45 AM   #36
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
If they can’t get the rehaut lined properly they shouldn’t make this claim

Old 25 August 2020, 06:46 AM   #37
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannySDG View Post
Many reviews just rattle down the specs, show a bunch of beauty shots, maybe some macro shots pointing out dust and fine scratches on the hands, and give the reviewers pesonal opinion on whether this watch should be called a Rootbeer or not....this guy gets a bit more critical.

For those not wanting the spend 10 minutes to watch this, here's the complaints:

1. On the timer it was +4/5 instead of the advertised +/-2 seconds a day.
2. End links make rattling noise
3. Rotor noise louder than expected
4. Alignment issues with the crown on rehaut

I kind of get his point... consider the price, you wouldn't expect any of this.
Does your watch have all or any of these issues?

https://youtu.be/l_jyY6ESZO4?list=WL
1. Nope. Running at +2/-2.
2. Nope.
3. Yes, but not an issue for me.
4. Nope

My biggest gripe has always been with my 114060. The bezel does not stop centrally at the 12 o'clock. You can get the bezel to line up properly, only after setting it one notch before 12, then moving it slightly back. Is that normal?
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:46 AM   #38
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
If they can’t get the rehaut lined properly they shouldn’t make this claim

No. They shouldn’t.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 06:47 AM   #39
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJZS2K View Post
This is supposed to be my next one. I'll have to pay a bit more attention if/when it arrives. On a related note, my recently acquire SD43 has a squeaky braclet. Not sure it bothers me enough to go for a service though. Hoping it'll "wear in".

The squeaking you hear will fades away and soon you’ll stop hearing it. I kinda miss it ;-)
The other QC issues mentioned above with the root beer are not present on the SD43. It’s pure perfection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 August 2020, 06:53 AM   #40
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Many reviews just rattle down the specs, show a bunch of beauty shots, maybe some macro shots pointing out dust and fine scratches on the hands, and give the reviewers pesonal opinion on whether this watch should be called a Rootbeer or not....this guy gets a bit more critical.

For those not wanting the spend 10 minutes to watch this, here's the complaints:

You got some good points IMHO

1/ True, should be running within what they say!
2/ No issue.
3/ True, some sounds like an old Breitling.
4/ This can be fixed.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 07:02 AM   #41
house5988
"TRF" Member

Mine seems alright. Aligned well. A bit noise ( you need to be in a very quiet environment) when you turn your wrist in different direction. Can’t help staring at it because Root beer is a beauty.

house5988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 07:17 AM   #42
APPRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
The squeaking you hear will fades away and soon you’ll stop hearing it. I kinda miss it ;-)
The other QC issues mentioned above with the root beer are not present on the SD43. It’s pure perfection.

There is rotor noise on the SD43, all Rolex with the new movement have it.
APPRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 07:19 AM   #43
APPRF
"TRF" Member

del
APPRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 07:22 AM   #44
Rushhour
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z Blue & CHNR
Quote:

On my CHNR:

1. On the timer it was +4/5 instead of the advertised +/-2 seconds a day. Nope mine is -2 per day;
2. End links make rattling noise - see below
3. Rotor noise louder than expected - see below
4. Alignment issues with the crown on rehaut - seems to be good on mine

2 & 3 are issues that could be problematic for me, since I am studying to be a ninja assassin and you know you gotta be quite.

Nah - I can't hear anything, though at 65 years old, my wife says i am half deaf anyway.

Steve
Rushhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 07:39 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The only thing he mentioned which concerned me is the play in the detents of the bezel. That would bother me a lot. The rehaut means nothing to me. Never looked at it and probably never will.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 09:54 AM   #46
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomler View Post
laugh....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcjvr View Post
Tell me you aren’t being serious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp006 View Post
You truly think misalignment issues are anti-counterfeit measures done on purpose?

C'mon. I'm a big Rolex fan but even I can't stretch it that far.
I don't work for the corporation, so I can't really say for sure one way or the other.

The first time I saw the ceramic GMT was in September 2018, at the Vegas IWJG show. A reputable dealer had a loupe sitting on the counter and I took to examining the watch closely. Everything seemed ridiculously perfect, except for the crown rehaut. At a glance, you wouldn't notice the very subtle misalignment; under closer inspection (and for many people here, they'd prob need a loupe), the crown rehaut looked slightly shifted to the right by maybe a fraction of a millimeter.

Like many here would, I initially passed it off as a variance in manufacturing. Only the next four that I saw at the show had the exact same feature. And in each instance, the crown on the rehaut was shifted rightward by the smallest of spaces.

I proceeded to attend several JCK shows after that and then another IWJG in the Vegas area once more- after all was said and done, I must have seen 14 BLROs at said shows, each with a subtle, slight displacement. When a Las Vegas authorized retailer called me up for one late 2019, I wasn't surprised to see it on mine.

Around early March of this year, the boutique on Michigan Avenue had one in their showcase. And like clockwork (pun not intended), the shift was present on that piece as well.

Again- it's slight. Very slight. Most people would miss it if they weren't intentionally checking it. My original response, however, contended that I had no idea what the critic was looking at- if it was blatantly off, then perhaps it was an error by the manufacturer.
Old 25 August 2020, 10:10 AM   #47
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

1. Haven’t tested time, but I never noticed it being off by much. So I assume I’m within the 2 range.
2. I feel a little play in end link and the noise. I tried same thing on my other sport models and no play or noise.
3. The rotor is the rotor. It isn’t silent on the 32xx.
4. Rehaut is dead center on it and my blnr.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 11:46 AM   #48
G.Montag
Banned

The only issue on that list that would bother me is the up and down play in the bezel. That’s either bad design or a poorly fitted part.
G.Montag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 11:57 AM   #49
Jackumi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 116713LN
I consider myself very OCD, but regarding +/-2 Sec per day, all my 4 Rolex watches are within +/-3 seconds a day. I always accurately set my watches to the second and check the accuracy at the end of the month. I am not concerned about the +/- numbers per se, I am concerned about consistency in the accuracy or inaccuracy, that is what confirms the quality of the movement. Anyway I know that RSC can regulate the watches to be almost spot on. The issue of the crown on the rehaut does not bother me either as the rehaut position is located during watch assembly and if a fraction of a mm to the left or right bothers you, RSC can perfectly align it for you. The defects I have big issues with are those that cannot be adjusted but can only be cured by component replacement!
Jackumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 12:41 PM   #50
ravenhome777
"TRF" Member

Yes, I think he's got a point. Rolex is getting lazy. These QC issues speak volumes about what's going on inside the company.

To be honest, I've never really been into the modern Rolex design. Doesn't do anything for me. They should find a new design IMHO.
ravenhome777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2020, 01:19 PM   #51
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

I just checked the end links on my Bluesy (purchased August of 2019) and on my DJ 41 (May 2020) and they're solid as a rock. I know what to check for when the Rootbeer does finally come in.
Old 25 August 2020, 02:29 PM   #52
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPRF View Post
There is rotor noise on the SD43, all Rolex with the new movement have it.

I hear it clearly when I shake my Tudor GMT but not my SD43. The SD rotor is dead silent.

Old 26 August 2020, 09:21 AM   #53
MannySDG
"TRF" Member

I can hear the Rotor on my DJ41 when I hold it to my ear and shake it a bit....never hear it otherwise, so it's a non issue for me.
Old 26 August 2020, 11:15 AM   #54
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
What happened to wearing a watch and enjoying it?

The CHNR is magnificent. Mines +10s in an entire month, so that’s what .33s /day? Doesn’t get better. No squeaky bracelet. No rotor noise. No issues with the bezel.

Maybe he has a Chinese replica and doesn’t know it.

And rehaut... its misaligned in every single Rolex I have or had until recently. Makes me think it’s intentional but who knows.... or cares.
Old 27 August 2020, 10:19 AM   #55
Aussiexplorer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexplorer214270 View Post
Just One More Watch, I agree he did a pretty good job and showed quite a few QC issues with Rolex
I agree, I felt it was a pretty fair assessment of the piece. Plus, he loved the watch despite its slight imperfections!
Aussiexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 August 2020, 12:29 PM   #56
Altruist
Banned

rehaut alignment = big issue
Altruist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2020, 09:00 PM   #57
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
What happened to wearing a watch and enjoying it?
Good question.
Old 25 October 2020, 12:18 AM   #58
NewYorkJ
"TRF" Member

Thank goodness my Rootbeer

So, I dropped a deposit 10/6/20 at the AD on a special order for the Rootbeer in two tone. Then I saw that video, JOMW. I was very concerned. This is my first Rolex. I got the call 2 days ago, way ahead of the estimated December arrival! I'm very pleased to say, not one of the issues from the video are present. Not one. The bezel lines up and works as intended. No play when at rest. Bracelet squeaks for now of course but no play issue at the end link near the case. It moves only slightly. The rotor is audible but not at all noisy like in the video. By my eyes, so far maybe a second off a day? Can't really say yet but I could as easily said it hasn't lost or gained at all in 2 days. The crown functions great. This is a pretty watch that wears sporty. Last night in jeans and a hoodie, tonight in a dress shirt and sport jacket. The "man of leisure watch" in my opinion and can work as a daily driver. That's my plan anyway. Cheers
NewYorkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 11:28 PM   #59
Sergio25
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I just checked my DJ41 and it's even more off than the Rootbeer in the video. My Bluesy is almost spot on, just a tiny bit off.

I guess this is the part where the hand assembly comes into play?
to be hoenst these are decorative elements .. its like like the hour mark is not at 12 but at 11.59 or soemthing ... this would be a real problem .. those things are not ment to be perfect.. and while i checked on my hulk the crown is at 12 ... it wouldnt bother me even if its not.. what does bother me is that on my hulk its minus 3 seconds a day ... but i guess i can live with that .. so dont worry so much about those things ...
Sergio25 is offline   Reply With Quote