The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 1 October 2020, 05:46 AM   #1
athom
"TRF" Member

Opinion about these 16520

Hi guys, I'm also looking for a 16520, I won't buy 3 watches but I'd like to consider all before doing my choice.

Here are 3 16520.

*Inverted 6 (full set, very white, crystal slightly damaged) 35k€..

*Luminova (full set, very brownish for luminova??) 35k€

*Luminova (full set, 10k€ less than the other one, why?) 26k€

I do not care about box, papers, goodies etc...

What I only wish : as less polished as possible, everything matching timewise / no anachronism / no service part / as less expensive as possible (for similar condition).

Thanks mates !

https://www.chrono24.fr/rolex/rolex-...id13153486.htm

https://www.chrono24.fr/rolex/dayton...-id5902940.htm

https://www.chrono24.de/rolex/dayton...id15472043.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (246.2 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (242.2 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (266.9 KB, 301 views)
Old 1 October 2020, 08:21 AM   #2
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

There were different dial variations to the 16520. You'll need to decide which you prefer and which you're willing to pay for.

Note the subdial at the 6 o'clock position. Specifically the 6 within that dial. In the first picture, the 6 is inverted (and appears to be a 9). This watch is the only 1 of the 3 that uses tritium (note that the dial reads "T SWISS MADE T").

The second 16520 in your post is a "Patrizzi" dial that was seen only in black dial 16520s. This has been marketed as more desirable, and thus more expensive. More below:

Quote:
With the Mark 4 dials, there is a tiny subsection which has been singled out by a rare Rolex mistake to become possibly the most prized of all the Zenith Daytonas. Restricted to the black dial versions, it was caused by the company’s use of an organic varnish called Zapon, which was found (after the fact) to give insufficient coverage of the face. It has led the silver outer tracks of the sub-dials turning a brown color over the years, as they react with UV rays. Best of all (as far as collectors are concerned), it doesn’t stabilize – meaning that the effect continues as the watch gets older.

This slight imperfection in the finish leaves each one of the relative handful of these pieces with a unique appearance, something that commands huge premiums in any vintage watch, and the Daytona in particular. Called the Patrizzi dials, they are named after Osvaldo Patrizzi, an Italian watchmaker and restorer, and the founder of the auction house, Antiquorum – who was the first to notice the discoloration.
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ref-16520.html
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 08:25 AM   #3
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Actually, I'm not so sure the dial is an authentic Patrizzi dial. I believe all Patrizzi dials have tritium, but that dial reads "Swiss Made," which implies it is not tritium.

Read more here:

https://thewatchlounge.com/rolex-zen...ew-with-price/

Edit: just opened the link. It's 2000, which clearly makes it not a Patrizzi.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 08:27 AM   #4
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Actually, I'm not so sure the dial is an authentic Patrizzi dial. I believe all Patrizzi dials have tritium, but that dial reads "Swiss Made," which implies it is not tritium.

Read more here:

https://thewatchlounge.com/rolex-zen...ew-with-price/

I could be wrong but I swear I’ve seen a non Tritium Patrizzi dial. And when I questioned it I thought that someone explained it but I personally would stay away from a Luminova Patrizzi just because I don’t know enough about them to know if it’s really all original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 08:41 AM   #5
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
All great watches.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 06:23 PM   #6
athom
"TRF" Member

As I wrote calvin, one is inverted 6 and two are luminova. Patrizzi is imho only a short period earlier than luminova’s last series...that’s why I mentioned that I find it quite brownish for a luminova one...it’s a struggle to find one in good condition and I don’t wish to pay 60k€ for a 4 lines dial for example. So I’d be happy with every dial variation until the condition is great �� I just want to know if someone sees something wrong on those three examples, why one luminova is so creamy colored and why 10k€ less expensive. Many thanks mates !
Old 2 October 2020, 12:21 AM   #7
David cote
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Watches etc
Luminova (full set, 10k€ less than the other one, why?) 26k€

This one must be A serial? I would go that route...
David cote is offline   Reply With Quote