The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 October 2022, 09:18 AM   #1
EWY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex18206
Rolex Service Center Beverly Hills

I messed up my DD while adjusting it. It stopped. I did not want to mess with it and took it to Rolex Service Center at Beverly Hills. The DD had a service four years ago and was keeping very good time. Due to the so many news about people getting robbed losing their Rolex watches, I have not been wearing them much. The watches were mostly sitting in the winders.
Since I was going to Rolex Service Center, I took my GMT 2 there also. I have an older GMT 2 while it was working fine, it was running a little fast. A few days later, I got 2 estimates for servicing the watches. The estimate on the GMT 2 was a bit of a surprise.

Instead of calling the services “Full Service”, both were “Complete Overhaul”.
There were quite some items listed, some of which I was not even aware of that needs fixing.
The work includes: -
Refinish Bracelet Replace Spring bars
- Simple spring bar 19.8 18yg - x 1
Refinish Case Replace Crown
- Crown with gasket 604 18yg - x 1
Replace Dial
- Dial 16718 black markers y lgn - x 1
Replace Hands
- 24-hour hand, y, green lumi - x 1
- Second hand tr 16758 250 40 j a disq lumi - x 1
- Hands 16758 240 j baton lumi - x 1
Option(s) Replace crystal
- sapphire crystal d29.5 1.8 anti-refl cyclops & gask
- x 1 Replace disc for bezel
- 24-hour insert 16700 black yellow - x 1

The invoice for the GMT 2 was $1658.18.

I have read so much about keeping the watch original and not to polish the watch. I was very hesitant to authorized all the work. However, my first experience with the Service Center at BH was good. Both of my watches had no dings and have very light scratches. I thought the crystal on both are good but I don’t inspect them with a 10-power loupe. I decided to do all the work recommended including the polishing.

About four weeks later I received email notification that both watches were available for pickup. I picked them up on Oct 14, 2022. I was given two Rolex Travel Cases also. That was unexpected. The GMT 2 came back looking new. Since both the dial and the hands were replaced, the Lume is very bright.

When I received the watches on the 14th. The time on the watches were not in sync. The GMT 2 was about 2 seconds fast and the DD was about 2 seconds slow against a computer time. I reset both watches on the 15th. The DD was still slow and the second hand seemed to lag behind the GMT 2 second hand. So, I took out the DD and wore it for about half a day, returned it to the winder. Today (10/20/2022), I checked the watches, both second hands were in sync and the amazing thing is that both were right on the dot against a computer time.

I was a little worry about the polishing but the result speaks for itself. My GMT 2 never looked better. I wonder if new Rolex received hand polishing. The shine on my GMT 2 is amazing. I compared old and new pictures of the same watch and could not tell the difference other than the finish. The back of the case was also perfect. The smudge on the picture is my finger print which I forgot to clean.

I am not recommending others to have their Rolex polished but, in my case, I am very happy with the results. I also did not keep the watch original as I authorized replacement of the dial, hands, disc on the bezel and the crown. The benefit is obvious as my GMT 2 now glows very bright at night.

PS I also got two-year warranty cards from RSC BH.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20221014_201634.jpg (237.4 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg 20221014_201727.jpg (252.8 KB, 729 views)
File Type: jpg 20221014_201743.jpg (226.2 KB, 719 views)
File Type: jpg 20221014_202042.jpg (198.0 KB, 725 views)
File Type: jpg 20221014_202855.jpg (235.3 KB, 723 views)
File Type: jpg 20221014_203454.jpg (246.8 KB, 720 views)
File Type: jpg 20221014_230803.jpg (171.2 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg 20221020_132636.jpg (204.0 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg 20221020_133201.jpg (237.1 KB, 720 views)

Last edited by EWY; 21 October 2022 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: added info
EWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 09:44 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looks great.

No good reason not to have Rolex refinish the case and bracelet during a complete overhaul.
Old 21 October 2022, 09:58 AM   #3
HunterST
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3, 79090
Looks absolutely great. Good for you. I love an all gold GMT. But I sure do know what you mean about wearing them out lately in LA. I was across the street when the guy on Fairfax had his Sub taken at gunpoint a few months back.
Old 21 October 2022, 11:18 AM   #4
Filipćo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never too many
Well done Sir, love it!
Filipćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2022, 07:30 AM   #5
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWY View Post
I messed up my DD while adjusting it. It stopped. I did not want to mess with it and took it to Rolex Service Center at Beverly Hills. The DD had a service four years ago and was keeping very good time. Due to the so many news about people getting robbed losing their Rolex watches, I have not been wearing them much. The watches were mostly sitting in the winders.
Since I was going to Rolex Service Center, I took my GMT 2 there also. I have an older GMT 2 while it was working fine, it was running a little fast. A few days later, I got 2 estimates for servicing the watches. The estimate on the GMT 2 was a bit of a surprise.

Instead of calling the services “Full Service”, both were “Complete Overhaul”.
There were quite some items listed, some of which I was not even aware of that needs fixing.
The work includes: -
Refinish Bracelet Replace Spring bars
Refinish Case Replace Crown
- Crown with gasket 604 18yg - x 1
Replace Dial
- Dial 16718 black markers y lgn - x 1
Replace Hands
- 24-hour hand, y, green lumi - x 1
- Second hand tr 16758 250 40 j a disq lumi - x 1
- Hands 16758 240 j baton lumi - x 1
Option(s) Replace crystal
- sapphire crystal d29.5 1.8 anti-refl cyclops & gask
- x 1 Replace disc for bezel
- 24-hour insert 16700 black yellow - x 1

The invoice for the GMT 2 was $1658.18.

I have read so much about keeping the watch original and not to polish the watch. I was very hesitant to authorized all the work. However, my first experience with the Service Center at BH was good. Both of my watches had no dings and have very light scratches. I thought the crystal on both are good but I don’t inspect them with a 10-power loupe. I decided to do all the work recommended including the polishing.

About four weeks later I received email notification that both watches were available for pickup. I picked them up on Oct 14, 2022. I was given two Rolex Travel Cases also. That was unexpected. The GMT 2 came back looking new. Since both the dial and the hands were replaced, the Lume is very bright.

When I received the watches on the 14th. The time on the watches were not in sync. The GMT 2 was about 2 seconds fast and the DD was about 2 seconds slow against a computer time. I reset both watches on the 15th. The DD was still slow and the second hand seemed to lag behind the GMT 2 second hand. So, I took out the DD and wore it for about half a day, returned it to the winder. Today (10/20/2022), I checked the watches, both second hands were in sync and the amazing thing is that both were right on the dot against a computer time.

I was a little worry about the polishing but the result speaks for itself. My GMT 2 never looked better. I wonder if new Rolex received hand polishing. The shine on my GMT 2 is amazing. I compared old and new pictures of the same watch and could not tell the difference other than the finish. The back of the case was also perfect. The smudge on the picture is my finger print which I forgot to clean.

I am not recommending others to have their Rolex polished but, in my case, I am very happy with the results. I also did not keep the watch original as I authorized replacement of the dial, hands, disc on the bezel and the crown. The benefit is obvious as my GMT 2 now glows very bright at night.

PS I also got two-year warranty cards from RSC BH.

Awesome! Planning to visit RSC BH next week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2022, 08:16 AM   #6
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Looks quite nice!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2022, 05:47 AM   #7
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Excellent results! The BH RSC did the first and then some subsequent services on my YM. I did appreciate the polishing they did to the PCL. When they’d bring out my watch, it was lije seeing my watch new all over again.

When I first joined the forum 15 years ago, a lot of people were of the mindset to let the RSC polish out the dings and scratches.

Totally agreed on the crime situation here in LA. All of my watches are insured, but I certainly don’t want to be robbed.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2022, 02:59 AM   #8
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Awesome! Planning to visit RSC BH next week!

Went last week, very impressed with it and the attention to customers!

Got the estimate (and approve it) on my TOG on the spot, cutting 4-6 weeks of waiting when sent by mail through either AD or directly over mail, very glad make time to go there !

Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2022, 04:12 PM   #9
EWY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
Went last week, very impressed with it and the attention to customers!

Got the estimate (and approve it) on my TOG on the spot, cutting 4-6 weeks of waiting when sent by mail through either AD or directly over mail, very glad make time to go there !

I actually like the RSC BH more before the remodel. I visited Feb 2018 and the reception area was twice the size. It also provided bottle water for customers. Not sure if COVID or cost cutting took the bottle water away.

RSC web.jpg
Old 31 October 2022, 01:48 AM   #10
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I was going to ask if they served a Continental breakfast when you dropped in! I’d be happy with a coffee at these places when buying something. Haha, I’m very good oriented.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2022, 02:28 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I was going to ask if they served a Continental breakfast when you dropped in! I’d be happy with a coffee at these places when buying something. Haha, I’m very good oriented.
That's probably because water is free in Canada, unlike ... Beverly Hills.
Old 31 October 2022, 02:47 AM   #12
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Looks fantastic, enjoy!!
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 02:55 PM   #13
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
I actually like the RSC BH more before the remodel. I visited Feb 2018 and the reception area was twice the size. It also provided bottle water for customers. Not sure if COVID or cost cutting took the bottle water away.

Attachment 1327891
That's how i remember it, didn't realize they remodeled.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 12:07 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Off topic but I would take your watches off the winders. Why wear out the gears and oils for no reason. Winders are for annual and perpetual calendars with case pushers where constant setting puts wear on the pusher springs and movement. With simple time only watches there is no upside to keeping them running constantly.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2022, 09:47 AM   #15
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Attachment 1327891
Surprised they let you take photos inside. I took a quick iPhone snap in the Tokyo RSC, and security were all over me immediately making me delete it.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 09:11 AM   #16
Mirek
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520 & 4100BA
The BH center is overly chill, they just have a few counter people that are kind of just order takers for people dropping stuff off. Basically empty. I dropped off my Daytona 16520 for a complete overhaul & polish ($1,300 or so estimate) on August 19th and HOPE it is done soon. They told me they are servicing it on locations which is cool since I can scoop it up when it is done.
Mirek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2022, 02:12 AM   #17
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
End result looks great. Congrats! Nothing wrong with a light, professional polish.

Why did the RSC insist on changing the dial and hands? And were they tritium?
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2022, 09:18 AM   #18
EWY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Off topic but I would take your watches off the winders. Why wear out the gears and oils for no reason. Winders are for annual and perpetual calendars with case pushers where constant setting puts wear on the pusher springs and movement. With simple time only watches there is no upside to keeping them running constantly.
I have been using winders for a long time. There are several reasons. If I were to have only one watch, most likely I would be wearing that every day. I have quite a few watchers, having winders meant that they are being worn. If a watch were designed to be worn daily, why would I worry?

I do not like to adjust or wind watches. I have an annual calendar watch. I hate adjusting that, it has pushers and cannot be adjusted at certain time of the day. Every time, I adjust it, I need to pull my booklet out to read.

I did mention that “I messed up my DD while adjusting it.” I am not a klutz and yet I still have issue with adjusting watches. I rather not pulling out the crown and wind and/or adjusting the watch if I can help it. I want my watches to be as water tight as possible, so, I avoid winding the crown.

Consider that the DD is about 25 years old and the GMT 2 is about 30 years old, they both keep very good time. Obviously, that placing them on winders do not hurt the movements.

Some folks like to place their watches not wearing on winders, I placed the watches that I am wearing on the winders. The one that I am not wearing are in safes or locked up somewhere.
Old 15 November 2022, 02:43 PM   #19
EWY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
End result looks great. Congrats! Nothing wrong with a light, professional polish.

Why did the RSC insist on changing the dial and hands? And were they tritium?
The dial and hands were indeed Tritium. I thought both the dial and hands were in good shape but they do not luminate. I did not know that I could have these replaced until I saw the estimate and authorization.

As we know that RSC is very particular about the watches that are being serviced. Any modified Rolex would be returned and service refused. For RSC to offer to replace the hands and dial meant this replacement is not modification.

I always believe form follow function. I want the GMT II to function as it is intended. This is why I grab this opportunity to replace the dial and hands. Now my GMT II glows at night and I can actually read the time.

What would you prefer? A GMT II that has the dial and hands replaced by RSC or a GMT II that has the original dial and hands that do not luminate?

Below is a picture of the GMT II prior to the dial and hands replacement.

GMT2 on wrist.jpg
Old 15 November 2022, 03:06 PM   #20
EWY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Surprised they let you take photos inside. I took a quick iPhone snap in the Tokyo RSC, and security were all over me immediately making me delete it.
I never did have any issue in RSC BH. The security is outside the RSC and the staff is very friendly. Taking pictures inside the RSC BH is a non-event.