The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 April 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
ThePayola
"TRF" Member

How will Tudor's return to the US impact resale value?

I have been close to pulling the trigger on a pre-owned Tudor for awhile now, but haven't been able to make up my mind as to whether I want a Chrono Heritage, Black Bay or Pelagos.

With the news that Tudor will be sold in the US in the coming months, what is the expected impact on resale value? Will the increased supply result in lower prices in the resale market, or will the increase in popularity/demand drive the prices up?

I have perceived a slight decline in prices over the past couple months of the pre-owned Tudors I mentioned previously, and wondered if anyone sees this trend continuing. As it stands now, I can find very nice examples of any of those three models (Chrono Heritage, Black Bay and Pelagos) in the $2,800 - $3,000 range. While those seem like very fair prices, I'm in no rush to pull the trigger. If I could get the same watch for $2,500 in a few months, I'd be happy to hold off.

Thoughts?
ThePayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 12:10 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Well with myself I don't think of Tudor or Rolex as just £££$$$$, I buy any watch because I want a particular model at a fair market price.And whether it goes up or down myself don't really care as I rarely sell any of my watches.Buy a Rolex or a Tudor it will last a life time that's why I buy Rolex or Tudor watches its not all about ££££$$$$.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 12:11 AM   #3
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePayola View Post
I have been close to pulling the trigger on a pre-owned Tudor for awhile now, but haven't been able to make up my mind as to whether I want a Chrono Heritage, Black Bay or Pelagos.

With the news that Tudor will be sold in the US in the coming months, what is the expected impact on resale value? Will the increased supply result in lower prices in the resale market, or will the increase in popularity/demand drive the prices up?

I have perceived a slight decline in prices over the past couple months of the pre-owned Tudors I mentioned previously, and wondered if anyone sees this trend continuing. As it stands now, I can find very nice examples of any of those three models (Chrono Heritage, Black Bay and Pelagos) in the $2,800 - $3,000 range. While those seem like very fair prices, I'm in no rush to pull the trigger. If I could get the same watch for $2,500 in a few months, I'd be happy to hold off.

Thoughts?
I saw this same exact thread started yesterday. The prices are going to go down when Tudor comes to the US - the days of people being willing to pay a premium to own a Black Bay are over.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 12:13 AM   #4
ThePayola
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
I saw this same exact thread started yesterday. The prices are going to go down when Tudor comes to the US - the days of people being willing to pay a premium to own a Black Bay are over.
Thank you for the feedback. I did a search prior to posting, but didn't find a similar topic. If you have a link you could share to the thread you mentioned, I'd love to have a look.
Old 3 April 2013, 12:25 AM   #5
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePayola View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I did a search prior to posting, but didn't find a similar topic. If you have a link you could share to the thread you mentioned, I'd love to have a look.
It was on the second page:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=289172

It didn't generate too much discussion, but their was a link to a third thread on the topic.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2013, 12:26 AM   #6
ThePayola
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well with myself I don't think of Tudor or Rolex as just £££$$$$, I buy any watch because I want a particular model at a fair market price.And whether it goes up or down myself don't really care as I rarely sell any of my watches.Buy a Rolex or a Tudor it will last a life time that's why I buy Rolex or Tudor watches its not all about ££££$$$$.
You said that you, "want a particular model at a fair market price." It seems to me that the fair market price of any of the Tudor models I mentioned has the potential to fluctuate significantly in the coming months. As a buyer who isn't in a hurry to make a purchase, price is certainly one factor I will consider - and one that may impact when I buy. I have no intention of turning around and selling my watch right away, but I also don't see the point in paying $X for something today when I could buy that same thing at a discount by exercising a little patience. I enjoy the chase, and for me, getting a good deal is part of that process.
Old 3 April 2013, 01:39 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There is no empirical data to suggest that the price of used Tudors will be impacted at all when/if Tudor begins sales in the US..

However, used prices are always supply and demand. In the US there is a small supply of Tudors and also a very small knowledge base. Tudor Dealerships and sales will increase that knowledge and therefore likely increase demand for this small pool of used watches.

If knowledge/demand increases, what will not increase is the number of used watches around.. The only increase will be in new watches available at a very few selected Dealers who will likely sell at Rolex stated policies..
Old 3 April 2013, 02:16 AM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
i think that the new tudor subs were hard to find because of strong demand. the price was going to slide. simply by the increase of supply over time. US dealers should accelerate this.
the chrono is another case... the demand has clearly dropped. i dont know if the fact that the movement htey used was not great, or maybe the subs stole their thunder
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 12:23 PM   #9
robrobin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi Rolex GMT
Tudor has many models in their line and haven't been sold in the US for a number of years. In the last couple of years they happen to hit the mark with a few watches...especially the Heritage Chrono, Black Bay and Pelagos. Mostly they ended up selling over the retail in the US secondary market. Surely some of it had to do with demand but you also have to consider that someone had to pay travel costs to the places where the watches were being sold and then duty on the return. Some international dealers took the risk and shipped into the US. Add the shipping, cost of duty to the
international pricing and a small margin.......viola you get a watch that sells over retail.
So, if/when Tudor comes back into the US new inventory will increase and most likely
prices of the new inventory will also worldwide. My guess.........preowned prices will stabilize for a period. And we will be exposed to some of the other great watches in
the Tudor line.
robrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 12:28 PM   #10
versatile1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ2 Blue Romans
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
In My world Everything is for sale
$$ matter
versatile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by versatile1 View Post
In My world Everything is for sale
$$ matter
quite an interesting perspective on life..
Old 7 April 2013, 02:00 PM   #12
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

I think when and if Tudor sells in the US it will strengthen used Tudor prices.A simply consequence of a large market becoming brand aware is that it creates a demand for used product as well as the new .When Tudor launched the new Subs the vintage ones went up appreciably due to the awareness the new subs brought to the brand.
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 02:04 PM   #13
cornerstore
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
quite an interesting perspective on life..
It's a Canadian thing,we are so heavily taxed we have to be prepared to sell anything or everything to feed the tax man .
cornerstore is offline   Reply With Quote