The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 July 2019, 08:30 PM   #1
kans86
"TRF" Member

Sport Patek Philippe watches too delicate?

Surely a discussed aspect, but today I went to a local dealer to try on a 5167A. Intended at first to buy it but then just felt it is too light and delicate as a sport watch. I owned a Calatrava years ago and didn’t feel that way, probably because it was a dress watch. Maybe I am used to the robustness and sturdiness of Rolex sport watches. For owners of PP sport watches do you have the same impression? How do you have extra care for your watch?
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kans86 View Post
Surely a discussed aspect, but today I went to a local dealer to try on a 5167A. Intended at first to buy it but then just felt it is too light and delicate as a sport watch. I owned a Calatrava years ago and didn’t feel that way, probably because it was a dress watch. Maybe I am used to the robustness and sturdiness of Rolex sport watches. For owners of PP sport watches do you have the same impression? How do you have extra care for your watch?
What sports are you intending to do in the piece?
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:16 PM   #3
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
What sports are you intending to do in the piece?
Good question. No specifically but I usually wear my watches (mostly Rolex though) in any activities from swimming to hiking, trekking, running... even into a sauna room, from the sea to mountains to even deserts.
Old 13 July 2019, 09:19 PM   #4
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
5167A can do all those and more. Bezel will scratch but adds character after awhile.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:22 PM   #5
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Good question. No specifically but I usually wear my watches (mostly Rolex though) in any activities from swimming to hiking, trekking, running... even into a sauna room, from the sea to mountains to even deserts.
Wow, that is quite a range of activities. 👍
I would personally have no issues with swimming in the piece and of course hiking and trekking is more about how you treat the piece whilst doing the activities. I wouldn’t personally run in a sports watch but that’s because I wear a gps heart monitor band. I would draw the line at a sauna - for any piece I think it is pretty extreme (but possibly fine).
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 10:04 PM   #6
Mike Jab
Banned

Sports watches are more of a style than an actual watch to use for sports. I mean wearing a watch restricts your movements in all kinds of sports (including bedroom sport) so what's the point.
Mike Jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 10:23 PM   #7
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
IMO... Nauts and Aquas are not sport watches. Thierry Stern for years was wearing his 5164A with a suit. I personally use my 5711 when I wear a sports coat and also for going out in casual attire but wouldn’t even think about doing rigorous activities in them. If you look at these watches the wrong way they scratch and I politely disagree that a scratch adds character. For me it is a big eye sore and something I can’t get past. If you want to wear something higher end to the beach or hiking then a Sub or GMT works but I opt for a cheap Gshock. Just my 2cents

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 10:45 PM   #8
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would think you can do pretty much anything w a 5167 you would do w a Rolex including all of the above except may be the sauna room. IMO both Aquanaut and Nautilus look great if rocked hard or if mint but not so much in between w just a few scratches or dings. For me they are too precious but not too delicate to rock them... I badly messed up an IWC when a hike turned into a climb and I would certainly hate if that had happened to my 5711...
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:05 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
These are nothing more than very dressy sports watches bought for the look. For anything resembling sports most people wear Rolex.
Are they delicate? Not overly delicate, but the thin cased PP does not offer the shock resistance a thicker Rolex case would. The new Rolexes have paraflex shock absorbers for greater protection. (I think I spelled that term right.)
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:08 AM   #10
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:

I don’t do ANY of those things with any PP, AP or other higher end pieces. To me that is The Rolex sweet-spot.

Could I ? Absolutely. Will the watch ‘withstand’? Absolutely. Just not the intent for those references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:11 AM   #11
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I don’t do ANY of those things with any PP, AP or other higher end pieces. To me that is The Rolex sweet-spot.

Could I ? Absolutely. Will the watch ‘withstand’? Absolutely. Just not the intent for those references.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I tend to baby my Pateks a bit more than my Rolex. Sometimes I Baby my rolex and rock my panerai or Tudor for the highly strenuous activities.

My 5167 felt a little dainty so I just bought a bracelet. I just need to get to my AD to have them help me size it.
Old 14 July 2019, 05:24 AM   #12
Hamish
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5575
You guys crack me up
These things are meant to be used
I regularly ski with my 5740 on!
Hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 07:58 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
You guys crack me up
These things are meant to be used
I regularly ski with my 5740 on!
Agree, rock it and if it breaks Patek can service it. My 5167 had the lume fall out, had local guy fix it. It's just a watch and can be fixed in due time. Sure Pateks are not as durable as Rolex, but you're rockin' a Patek and looking great. You deserve it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 08:12 AM   #14
Codik
"TRF" Member

What an interesting topic! I wonder, why do people assume Rolexes are sturdier than PPs, and why would they not withstand a sauna?
Codik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 08:59 AM   #15
Aquaman
Banned

ive never had an issue

relax and enjoy
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 09:16 AM   #16
MCMartiny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codik View Post
What an interesting topic! I wonder, why do people assume Rolexes are sturdier than PPs, and why would they not withstand a sauna?
I am not sure it is merely because people assume PPs (vs. Rolexes) are more delicate and less sturdy (they are, but not to such a degree that PP sports watches cannot be used for swimming and non-extreme sports). I think it has a lot to do with the higher retail price (and even higher market price for Aqua and Nauti), higher watch value means the owner will (in most cases) somewhat more sensitive about the watch and take more care to not engage in activities that might scratching or denting it.

Saunas are problematic because the extreme heat increases the risk of drying out movement lubrication prematurely plus steam might find its way past the normally water proof case seals.
MCMartiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 09:47 AM   #17
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Agree, rock it and if it breaks Patek can service it. My 5167 had the lume fall out, had local guy fix it.
I would find that horrible, not financially but about the durability of a watch.
Old 14 July 2019, 01:18 PM   #18
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

If there would be a sturdiness test between a sports Rolex and Patek, i think Rolex will win hands down bec if bigger and thicker parts and case.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:59 PM   #19
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Sport Patek Philippe watches too delicate?

Nope.
Old 14 July 2019, 06:08 PM   #20
Aquaman
Banned

I'd day the 5968 is very robust
Old 14 July 2019, 06:10 PM   #21
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
I'd day the 5968 is very robust
I fully agree, even the 5167 is robust too.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 06:12 PM   #22
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Agree, rock it and if it breaks Patek can service it. My 5167 had the lume fall out, had local guy fix it. It's just a watch and can be fixed in due time. Sure Pateks are not as durable as Rolex, but you're rockin' a Patek and looking great. You deserve it.

Old 14 July 2019, 06:29 PM   #23
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
I fully agree, even the 5167 is robust too.

yep, but that thinner case might give off peoples delicate vibes, where the 5968 is way bigger case in comparison
Old 14 July 2019, 07:06 PM   #24
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
To be honest, if I am going outdoor or doing sports I won't wear a PP Nautilus / Aquanault or for that matter, even Royal Oak. No point to risk it. I will put on a Casio or Seiko instead.

PP sports watches are better and more accurately referred to as "sporty-looking" watches.
Old 14 July 2019, 07:25 PM   #25
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMartiny View Post
I am not sure it is merely because people assume PPs (vs. Rolexes) are more delicate and less sturdy (they are, but not to such a degree that PP sports watches cannot be used for swimming and non-extreme sports). I think it has a lot to do with the higher retail price (and even higher market price for Aqua and Nauti), higher watch value means the owner will (in most cases) somewhat more sensitive about the watch and take more care to not engage in activities that might scratching or denting it.

Saunas are problematic because the extreme heat increases the risk of drying out movement lubrication prematurely plus steam might find its way past the normally water proof case seals.

Might be the price ,but also Rolex sports are engineered to withstand more ,triplock crown,thicker crystal,thicker gaskets.Where Patek fails Rolex will still perform.
Your comment on sauna is spot on.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 08:15 PM   #26
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
IMO... Nauts and Aquas are not sport watches. Thierry Stern for years was wearing his 5164A with a suit. I personally use my 5711 when I wear a sports coat and also for going out in casual attire but wouldn’t even think about doing rigorous activities in them. If you look at these watches the wrong way they scratch and I politely disagree that a scratch adds character. For me it is a big eye sore and something I can’t get past. If you want to wear something higher end to the beach or hiking then a Sub or GMT works but I opt for a cheap Gshock. Just my 2cents
Agree

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 08:28 PM   #27
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
I have a 20 year old 5066 that is my only. That I wear daily. The manual in the introduction states, "the aquanaut is meant for hard use and has 120m to handle extreme pressure". I think PATEK is telling owners it's meant to be a sports watch !!!!
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 10:38 PM   #28
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
I have a 20 year old 5066 that is my only. That I wear daily. The manual in the introduction states, "the aquanaut is meant for hard use and has 120m to handle extreme pressure". I think PATEK is telling owners it's meant to be a sports watch !!!!
Old 16 July 2019, 03:56 AM   #29
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Quote:
You need a tool watch such as Rolex....^^^....

If you don't mind scratches and dings..... As other mention the 5167 can handle just about anything but avoid sauna room and sport activates that have a lot of shocking like golf example...

My definition of sport watch is.....

A sport watch like Patek doesn't necessarily mean it have to engage in sport activities......

It like saying Porsche is a true sport car because people engage in sport activities on track day......

and for the Ferrari and Lamborghini are not a true sport car because hardly people don't engage in sport activities on track day......

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:24 AM   #30
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Patek "sports" watches do not have the shock absorbance capability of a Rolex sports watch. It is much more delicate.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote