The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 December 2018, 07:24 PM   #31
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Chaps, I’m far from a saint. But, I genuinely couldn’t sleep thinking I’d taken advantage of someone. I think the key here is the value. It’s potentially life-changing sums. Anyway, it’s all hypothetical, because it didn’t happen to me!!
I'm with you! But I tried this approach on an earlier thread and nobody agreed with me. A x300 mark up is not normal market practice.....and as someone else pointed out above, the vendor is probably in bits over this....and they are part of the watch community too.
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 08:07 PM   #32
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
I'm with you! But I tried this approach on an earlier thread and nobody agreed with me. A x300 mark up is not normal market practice.....and as someone else pointed out above, the vendor is probably in bits over this....and they are part of the watch community too.
But let’s flip that around.

The seller has no doubt obtained these parts by effectively getting them free from the owners (sure I read he was a watch repairer selling off loads of lots) watches when he’s swapped them out for new ones. Some might say they should have been returned to their owner?

So why should the seller benefit from it anyway? If we want to start back tracking and reimbursing previous owners then surely we should track down the owners of the original inserts that paid rrp for them back in the day? Or maybe the new owner of the watch that the insert belongs to?

So here’s irony for you... due to the nature of this beast the person willing to pay £20k for one of these original inserts could well be buying what’s rightfully his, could have even come from the same watch from when it was swapped for a normal sub insert 25 years ago!

Yep I feel a bit for the seller and he probably is a bit sick but should we then feel even more for the previous owner?

But this logic could extend to every vintage Rolex. Don’t hear people moaning about all the £100k subs & daytonas with the same jealousy. What about the previous owners that sold them for buttons?

What about one of the old owners of a Van Gogh painting?

What about the first owner of my house (that’s now worth 4 times it’s current value)
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 08:24 PM   #33
cardiel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
But let’s flip that around.

The seller has no doubt obtained these parts by effectively getting them free from the owners (sure I read he was a watch repairer selling off loads of lots) watches when he’s swapped them out for new ones. Some might say they should have been returned to their owner?

So why should the seller benefit from it anyway? If we want to start back tracking and reimbursing previous owners then surely we should track down the owners of the original inserts that paid rrp for them back in the day? Or maybe the new owner of the watch that the insert belongs to?

So here’s irony for you... due to the nature of this beast the person willing to pay £20k for one of these original inserts could well be buying what’s rightfully his, could have even come from the same watch from when it was swapped for a normal sub insert 25 years ago!

Yep I feel a bit for the seller and he probably is a bit sick but should we then feel even more for the previous owner?

But this logic could extend to every vintage Rolex. Don’t hear people moaning about all the £100k subs & daytonas with the same jealousy. What about the previous owners that sold them for buttons?

What about one of the old owners of a Van Gogh painting?

What about the first owner of my house (that’s now worth 4 times it’s current value)
I disagree. There is simple concept of fairness. Was the deal fair? It may have appeared fair.....£300 quid for some old watch parts.... But thats not the whole story.....the story is much bigger than that. I'm not expecting anyone to agree, just that they pause and consider........
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 08:27 PM   #34
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
I’d feel awful if I’d knowingly ‘stolen’ these parts. I would absolutely work with seller and come to an arrangement.
How naive; what about Caviat Venditor. Let the seller beware.
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 08:55 PM   #35
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Icon5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
I disagree. There is simple concept of fairness. Was the deal fair? It may have appeared fair.....£300 quid for some old watch parts.... But thats not the whole story.....the story is much bigger than that. I'm not expecting anyone to agree, just that they pause and consider........

Right ok... And where exactly does the ‘Concept of fairness’ end?

Because you’re suggesting the seller is getting a bad deal here BUT what about the previous owners of the parts?

If this seller was some sort of repairer and those inserts were acquired from other people’s watches, why should he benefit? If that was the case he probably shouldn’t have them anyway and some might say benefiting £387 from other people’s parts is not fair.

What about if this story had a different start?

Let’s just imagine the auction went for $150,000 would you be on here saying “it’s not fair” that the previous owners of those parts aren’t getting a share?
Old 27 December 2018, 11:05 AM   #36
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Right ok... And where exactly does the ‘Concept of fairness’ end?

Because you’re suggesting the seller is getting a bad deal here BUT what about the previous owners of the parts?

If this seller was some sort of repairer and those inserts were acquired from other people’s watches, why should he benefit? If that was the case he probably shouldn’t have them anyway and some might say benefiting £387 from other people’s parts is not fair.

What about if this story had a different start?

Let’s just imagine the auction went for $150,000 would you be on here saying “it’s not fair” that the previous owners of those parts aren’t getting a share?
The opposition to the argument uses emotion over logic, I generally don't waste time arguing the logic with someone coming from the emotional perspective. The two will never agree.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 11:07 AM   #37
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Crazy story but all is fair in the world of auctions. By the eBay description, the seller didn’t even know they were Rolex parts - thought they were Omega.

Anyone know how long after the sale ended did the seller realise? He might not have posted it... but by these previous post, im guessing he did
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 05:46 PM   #38
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Crazy story but all is fair in the world of auctions. By the eBay description, the seller didn’t even know they were Rolex parts - thought they were Omega.

Anyone know how long after the sale ended did the seller realise? He might not have posted it... but by these previous post, im guessing he did
Ask the guy I quoted.

The buyer has posted alternative pics so I’d imagine he was savvy enough to wait til he had them before asking.
Old 29 December 2018, 03:29 AM   #39
964RS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Something vintage.
Quote:

The buyer has posted alternative pics so I’d imagine he was savvy enough to wait til he had them before asking.
He was. He’s a big poster on RWG a replica/fake Rolex watch forum and was boasting about it there...but then deleted his threads also.
964RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 04:58 AM   #40
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
All I have to say...the seller knows where you live;)

Sometimes it pays to be nice but I do agree you did nothing wrong.

Congrats!
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:57 AM   #41
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
If every time you bought something at auction you had to reimburse the seller for the difference between what you paid and what the lot was worth, who would bother? Commerce would crawl to a halt and we'd be back in the dark ages.

I agree.

The parts looked like crap in the auction photo, I think he took a gamble and won. I don’t think he owes anyone anything.

I think assuming they will all sell for full retail with most of the people willing to purchase them knowing what he paid is probably a bit foolish. Maybe I am wrong.

I say do your research before listing an odd lot of parts.
tekno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 01:43 PM   #42
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
So, let me get this straight. A guy has an auction on ebay that basically anyone on planet earth can bid on and a guy wins it and finds out it's worth thousands more than he paid for it - and now the winning bidder should feel some form of guilt.

I have to tell you, just when you think you've heard it all! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't read it here with my own eyes.

To the buyer - take your parts and do what you want. You won it fair and square. There are millions of others that could have outbid you.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 01:55 PM   #43
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
So, let me get this straight. A guy has an auction on ebay that basically anyone on planet earth can bid on and a guy wins it and finds out it's worth thousands more than he paid for it - and now the winning bidder should feel some form of guilt.

I have to tell you, just when you think you've heard it all! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't read it here with my own eyes.

To the buyer - take your parts and do what you want. You won it fair and square. There are millions of others that could have outbid you.
agree. Probably the biggest / craziest find of 2018 in the world of vintage rolexes
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 03:12 PM   #44
BNA/LION
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
Needle in a Haystack!

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 03:50 PM   #45
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

And there you have it . I am with JP on this .

I bet there are some Green eyed monsters here .
scooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 09:26 PM   #46
murkeywaters
"TRF" Member

I feel for the seller but he is a watch repair/dealer so should have known better really, as for the buyer then very well done, lots of experts out there hunting MilSub parts but something as in your face and obvious as this just passes by with a few bids..

I do feel the buyer though is holding the sword of damocles, I cant see this will be a straight sell on profit without some kind of backlash..
murkeywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 10:32 PM   #47
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
If a seller is not willing to make the investment in determining the value of what he’s selling then he has no recourse. He sets the start price and reserve (if used), not the buyer.

I just read about someone getting a two tone ladies Rolex here for 12GBP... not the same? Yes it is. Seller did not invest to check the item and was happy to take nothing for it.

I purchased my 1978 9411 well below market at the time. Pictures were poor and seller didn’t communicate when I asked questions. I ended up winning and it was completely original. 702 crown and all. That was my “big score”.

This is why it is important, as both a buyer and seller, to educate yourself.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2018, 11:30 PM   #48
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Wow. Wow . Wow.

Reminds me of an eBay auction around 10 years ago. It was a cheap toy lot with a limited description and some pics. Only one person noticed an extremely rare loose Glassite Star Wars Droids Vlix action figure. Glasslite was making & distributing official Kenner Star Wars toys in Brazil during the late 1970s - 1980s. The prices paid for these are insane (5 digits) depending on condition.

I love the Vintage, Ref and Tech Sub-forums here. So many interesting stories not involving ?s like what is the better college savings fund : SS BLRO vs. SS Daytona.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 07:56 AM   #49
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

It's the whole basis of stock trading.
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote