The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 June 2019, 03:58 PM   #31
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Funny how some of these sales associates treat their customers like they can’t afford their product. Regardless of the fact that the majority of the employees can’t afford what they are selling lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1. It's comical.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 06:46 PM   #32
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Funny how some of these sales associates treat their customers like they can’t afford their product. Regardless of the fact that the majority of the employees can’t afford what they are selling lol.

I'm guessing that it's a lack of staff training and accountability. If they want to improve the boutique experience, that would be a good place to start.

For those that complain about bad experiences, don't allow the sales rep to treat you how you don't want to be treated
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 07:39 PM   #33
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

You can have two discussions types - and both are valid.

1) Use the discussion to vent and raise your concerns as a customer. Him being new in the position will be interested to listen (just joined from Berluti)
2) Have a more constructive discussion and go further beyond the rant about what are the areas AP can really work on (and with this I would not refer to discussions around "removing" certain personalities from the store).

I would be much more interesting in 2) - because with 1), depending on his personality, and reading the requests in this thread, he might just sigh and wants to move on.
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 10:59 PM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Is it really though? Or does it get dismissed as a few disgruntled (potential) customers simply venting their frustrations?
I think it is, when prices move up so much, you get many new entrants to the market, as well as the old, and while looking on Insta is nice for the show, they need to come on forums for the business, for the reasons why and to see some debate on where this is all going, as we see on so many threads now, so we are not as select a group as before the hype started, esp on the more niche AP and PP markets.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2019, 11:02 PM   #35
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Yes, was always an amazing trick that designer gear boutique staff pulled off to make their far wealthier customers feel insecure and intimidated on entering their store.
Old 11 June 2019, 12:08 AM   #36
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, was always an amazing trick that designer gear boutique staff pulled off to make their far wealthier customers feel insecure and intimidated on entering their store.

Funny, i just had this happen in a tumi store recently. Not that i would consider tumi to be in a price range of AP, but it’s not inexpensive luggage either. I am getting a new bag for international travel and i was in the local tumi store in my mall. I have a lot of tumi gear and i have purchased a ton from this particular store, i don’t know this particular sales rep i dealt with however.

Long story short, i saw their was a sale going on, i asked about said sale, the rep told me to flip over the tags to look at prices. I was asking about a particular bag and dimensions of the bag, with zero people in the store, the rep would hardly talk to me. I actually started laughing at one point when i asked a question and she said “ uh huh” as she completely ignored me. I just happen to be wearing shorts, a t shirt, backwards hat and flip flops. I have a tattoo sleeve and i am fairly young. The judgement was immediately noticed.

So, what can we do? Well for one, never buy from that rep. If i needed a bag right then and there i would have bought it online and apple paid on my phone in front of her. She was that bad. I’ve never written an actual complaint about someone, but this was the closest I’ve come.

I’ve had it happen at various ADs in the past, i think its just the state of the business currently. More buyers than product means the sales reps don’t need to try anymore. It happened to me in SF when i was asking about a white gold Daytona in the case. I was in the city for a huge tech conference and this lady could care less that i wanted to see the Daytona. In a city like San Francisco, their are tech millionaires everywhere. Punting people looking at 30k watches is a bad move. Full disclosure, I’m not one of those tech millionaires lol.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:12 AM   #37
T3F
"TRF" Member

How’d you reach out to HQ? Would like to do that myself. Anyway, glad to see they are at least interested in talking, let us know how it goes.

Also, with regards to a Bay Area boutique, I emailed about 6 months back about that and was told it was something they were looking into, whatever that means.
Old 11 June 2019, 05:42 AM   #38
PJ S
Banned

^
https://www.whitepages.com/phone/1-646-375-0807
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:42 AM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Funny, i just had this happen in a tumi store recently. Not that i would consider tumi to be in a price range of AP, but it’s not inexpensive luggage either. I am getting a new bag for international travel and i was in the local tumi store in my mall. I have a lot of tumi gear and i have purchased a ton from this particular store, i don’t know this particular sales rep i dealt with however.

Long story short, i saw their was a sale going on, i asked about said sale, the rep told me to flip over the tags to look at prices. I was asking about a particular bag and dimensions of the bag, with zero people in the store, the rep would hardly talk to me. I actually started laughing at one point when i asked a question and she said “ uh huh” as she completely ignored me. I just happen to be wearing shorts, a t shirt, backwards hat and flip flops. I have a tattoo sleeve and i am fairly young. The judgement was immediately noticed.

So, what can we do? Well for one, never buy from that rep. If i needed a bag right then and there i would have bought it online and apple paid on my phone in front of her. She was that bad. I’ve never written an actual complaint about someone, but this was the closest I’ve come.

I’ve had it happen at various ADs in the past, i think its just the state of the business currently. More buyers than product means the sales reps don’t need to try anymore. It happened to me in SF when i was asking about a white gold Daytona in the case. I was in the city for a huge tech conference and this lady could care less that i wanted to see the Daytona. In a city like San Francisco, their are tech millionaires everywhere. Punting people looking at 30k watches is a bad move. Full disclosure, I’m not one of those tech millionaires lol.

I haven't faced anyone that is so rude yet, just lazy and I blasted them for a good ten minutes, but I am worried that as I get older and more impatient I will leave my Britishness aside and just knock one of these the fck out.
Old 11 June 2019, 06:04 AM   #40
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
^^^^^

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 06:09 AM   #41
AshAP
"TRF" Member

The only time I’ve ever experienced this was when Sam (SC11) and I went to the RM boutique in Harrods, the sales girl looked so cheap, like an RM11 would be worth more than her house and all its contents, yet she stood there and sneered at us for daring to enter her space. I lost interest in RM there and then.

Old 11 June 2019, 08:57 AM   #42
PJ S
Banned

^
Cutting your nose off to spite your face is just plain daft – you’re buying the product, not the salesperson.
If you felt slighted, then you could’ve taken her to task. Alternatively, you could’ve simply laughed it off, dismissing it as the action of someone lacking professionalism in her job role.
You had the potential there to turn things around in your favour with a bit of strategic dialogue.
Old 11 June 2019, 02:17 PM   #43
drcab
"TRF" Member

How about producing more 15500ST - so first timers can get one too
drcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:04 PM   #44
Daryl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

maybe sell watches on their website?

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:11 PM   #45
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Cutting your nose off to spite your face is just plain daft – you’re buying the product, not the salesperson.
If you felt slighted, then you could’ve taken her to task. Alternatively, you could’ve simply laughed it off, dismissing it as the action of someone lacking professionalism in her job role.
You had the potential there to turn things around in your favour with a bit of strategic dialogue.

PJ S the jury is still out on whether you actually own anything better than a Grand Seiko since you shy away from posting photos of your own watches even when prompted and yet you keep chiming in on these luxury watch threads with your deliberately irritating comments.

I’m entitled to my own opinion which is that when buying even a 10k + watch you’re also buying into the ‘brand’ and what it stands for, this goes for all luxury high value material items because at the end of the day all of these products are seriously overpriced.

In future when you start tapping out a reply to something that I’ve written on here please bear in mind that I don’t need patronising life lessons from you, thanks.

Old 11 June 2019, 06:04 PM   #46
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

I’m entitled to my own opinion which is that when buying even a 10k + watch you’re also buying into the ‘brand’ and what it stands for, this goes for all luxury high value material items because at the end of the day all of these products are seriously overpriced.
I entirely agree, Ash. In reality there's no way any of these watches are worth what we pay, and that most definitely also includes Rolex. For me I'm 'buying into the brand', and if I feel slighted by that brand I have the right to, and may well, take my money elswehere.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 07:40 PM   #47
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
I entirely agree, Ash. In reality there's no way any of these watches are worth what we pay, and that most definitely also includes Rolex. For me I'm 'buying into the brand', and if I feel slighted by that brand I have the right to, and may well, take my money elswehere.
It's a one-way situation anyway - people "think" they are building up a relationship with an AD and a brand but by the time you walk out of the store you are a customer number and nothing else. The bigger brands, in this case being AP, can and will screw you over if it makes business sense to them.

Porsche did it when it started making Diesel engines, Rolex did it and AP did it. Heck even Ferrari is upping the production numbers all in the name of the bottom line. People "buy" into a legacy just to see the Legacy change.

Tag made a smartwatch.
Ferrari is making electric vehicles.
Apple is selling a 1K stand and no longer targets "the people"
Porsche is making Diesel engines.

So do not kid yourself too much when you say you buy a brand history because that will change overnight.

For what it's worth, what is happening now, looks and feels like the whole Swiss watch community agreed to lower production number and become more premium to battle Apple and the likes. The part that doesn't make business sense is them not upping MSRP themselves. For me that points to the fact this is a transitory situation. Either they will up the production number or the prices. one of the 2 has got to give to maintain exclusivity. Well that or demand breaks down because of a recession but they can still go and sell below MSRP as they used to 2 years ago.
Old 12 June 2019, 07:56 AM   #48
ufboy73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona116500 View Post
Hey TRF - thank you so much for your feedback on another thread about my experience buying a 15450 a few weeks ago. Through a recommendation on here I reached out to their HQ and they are working on making the situation better. One follow up is I am meeting the new US CEO on Monday. Outside of discussing what happened to me and how to make the customer experience better, any other topics you'd recommend or I'm happy to inquire/pass feedback on?
anything interesting you can share?
ufboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 08:15 AM   #49
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myusernamez View Post
It's a one-way situation anyway - people "think" they are building up a relationship with an AD and a brand but by the time you walk out of the store you are a customer number and nothing else. The bigger brands, in this case being AP, can and will screw you over if it makes business sense to them.

This may be true of other regions but it’s definitely not my experience from buying AP in England. Admittedly I’ve bought a few watches from AP so my experience isn’t based on a purchase history of just one watch. At least once or twice a year I get invited to something very nice with AP, they definitely work hard at relationships here. It could be a factory invite, SIHH, AP golf trophy at one of the best courses in the UK, a lovely Dinner/party, a nice lunch in London or even just opening a bottle of champagne if you visit the office. These guys work hard to make you feel valued.

Old 12 June 2019, 09:42 AM   #50
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

The dealers I went to and spent good money at and thought I had a good relationship, when they became the prettiest girl at prom told me to go pound sand.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:23 AM   #51
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
PJ S the jury is still out on whether you actually own anything better than a Grand Seiko since you shy away from posting photos of your own watches even when prompted and yet you keep chiming in on these luxury watch threads with your deliberately irritating comments.

In future when you start tapping out a reply to something that I’ve written on here please bear in mind that I don’t need patronising life lessons from you, thanks.
Let’s dispense with the inflammatory remarks, and keep the focus on the thread topic.
As much as I really shouldn’t give a toss, I'm disappointed that you interpret them as such.
You appear to be going out of your way to look for something that just simply isn’t there, but that’s a matter for reconcilement in your mind.

Quote:
No-one is saying you’re not but, in raising it as a point of discussion, there’s an open invitation to remark upon it.
I disagree with any notion of “buying into a brand”, the process as nothing more than being a consumer of manufactured commodities produced for, and aimed at, those with a certain amount of disposable income.
In your mind, what exactly does that phrase mean or entail, and how does it affect your perception of the actual product?
Old 12 June 2019, 01:23 PM   #52
Lambo Jota
"TRF" Member

Manny from Miami was wonderful. Would not step foot in New York ever after just one phone call with you know who. More options on frosted gold.
Lambo Jota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 03:18 PM   #53
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This may be true of other regions but it’s definitely not my experience from buying AP in England. Admittedly I’ve bought a few watches from AP so my experience isn’t based on a purchase history of just one watch. At least once or twice a year I get invited to something very nice with AP, they definitely work hard at relationships here. It could be a factory invite, SIHH, AP golf trophy at one of the best courses in the UK, a lovely Dinner/party, a nice lunch in London or even just opening a bottle of champagne if you visit the office. These guys work hard to make you feel valued.
That's the carrot and the stick to keep you entertained. As said, if they need to change the brand core value of need to start up-selling watches to other people they will do it. In the meanwhile, they keep you happy so you buy more. I mean you have to understand that for them it's business first and only. You, (well not personally you but the rather the Royal We), think it's the brand appreciating our business? Thanks but no thanks. They are like prostitutes, they want you for the money and will fake making love to you just enough until the next bigger spender comes along and when the big fish is there they stop answering your WhatsApp messages. (this may or may not be based on a real-life which I can neither confirm nor deny or comment upon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
The dealers I went to and spent good money at and thought I had a good relationship, when they became the prettiest girl at prom told me to go pound sand.
He makes my point. In the end, these are just watches. We might appreciate the complexity and the heritage that goes along with it (mostly because of marketing) and our OCD side might like the geometry of a watch and the refined movement. But it's just an overpriced watch. In the end, it's just a big d* contest of who was what watch with very few real collectors. Just look at the Rolex forum, it became a kids playground only focused on the newest hype or incoming and having the "hard to get models" at any price. That has nothing to do with watchmaking but only aesthetic and bragging rights.
Old 12 June 2019, 05:13 PM   #54
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by myusernamez View Post
That's the carrot and the stick to keep you entertained. As said, if they need to change the brand core value of need to start up-selling watches to other people they will do it. In the meanwhile, they keep you happy so you buy more. I mean you have to understand that for them it's business first and only. You, (well not personally you but the rather the Royal We), think it's the brand appreciating our business? Thanks but no thanks. They are like prostitutes, they want you for the money and will fake making love to you just enough until the next bigger spender comes along and when the big fish is there they stop answering your WhatsApp messages. (this may or may not be based on a real-life which I can neither confirm nor deny or comment upon)

So? We aren't idiots and fully know that AP are not in love with us for who we are but for the fact we may buy more product from them - they are a business, its clear and obvious. What Ash is saying is that in comparison to other brands AP look after you (or have us anyway), which we appreciate. Equally obvious is that if after a couple of years one no longer buys AP we'd likely fall off their Christmas list.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 05:21 PM   #55
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
So? We aren't idiots and fully know that AP are not in love with us for who we are but for the fact we may buy more product from them - they are a business, its clear and obvious. What Ash is saying is that in comparison to other brands AP look after you (or have us anyway), which we appreciate. Equally obvious is that if after a couple of years one no longer buys AP we'd likely fall off their Christmas list.
Yes Agreed!
Old 12 June 2019, 06:10 PM   #56
tcheeco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
So what about the meeting?
tcheeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 07:13 PM   #57
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Agreed. My experience of AP both in UK and Europe. They do work on relationships but you do have to be slightly serious about the product and occasionally take the plunge and buy something. They will get some who will go in, drink the free champers and never buy. Obviously they are a business at the end of the day but once you are beyond that then I have to say the experiences in the USA are just not the ones that I have had.

In terms of the meeting I would personally be frank at the start and say the experience you had was poor. I tend with these things not to talk about the person as it is never helpful to destroy someone and it really grates when you are on the other side. Then you need to move on quickly and be constructive about what could be improved or changed etc. If you do that you might get somewhere. If you have a 20 minute rant at the CEO then they will sit there, smile, you will leave feeling better for a day or so after, but the CEO will not take in a word you say.......

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 09:56 PM   #58
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona116500 View Post
Hey TRF - thank you so much for your feedback on another thread about my experience buying a 15450 a few weeks ago. Through a recommendation on here I reached out to their HQ and they are working on making the situation better. One follow up is I am meeting the new US CEO on Monday. Outside of discussing what happened to me and how to make the customer experience better, any other topics you'd recommend or I'm happy to inquire/pass feedback on?
What is your MO here? Are you going to ask them to sell you a rare piece to make up for your "unpleasant experience"?
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 10:36 AM   #59
Naples09
"TRF" Member

OP - any update on how the meeting went?
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:18 PM   #60
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naples09 View Post
OP - any update on how the meeting went?
I'm guessing one of two things happened: they offered him a watch on the condition that he never post anything about them online again or they invited him to go deep sea fishing, as their guest.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote