The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 18 October 2019, 09:48 AM   #1
Khans14
"TRF" Member

GMT decision

Hello Grand Seiko Forum: This is my first time posting apart from in the Rolex general forum section. I have recently been taken with photographs I have seen of the Grand Seiko GMT with the short blue gmt hand and ivory dial. The reference number is SBGM221. I have owned several Omega and Rolex watches, but have never owned a Grand Seiko. There is an authorized dealer about 4.5 hours away from me.

Before I take a long trip, may I ask if anyone has any first hand experience with this watch? The watch itself is beautiful and I have been taking a deep dive for about a week now reading about Grand Seiko watches and how they are made.

Any comments about the GMT watch would be appreciated. My daily wear right now is a Rolex 114060 and I have a 7.25 wrist size. Thanks in advance for any information.
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 12:44 PM   #2
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Pictures never do Grand Seiko any justice. They are always more impressive in the metal. This particular reference is not my style, but you can be assured that the quality is as good (just being diplomatic) as Rolex and Omega. You will also find the finishing superior (to hell with diplomacy) to either of those brands.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2019, 02:49 PM   #3
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

The dial color is sublime, and the blue hand is great with it. I think it’s a fantastic watch and nearly bought one, but then decided I wanted my first GS to have a Spring Drive.

Ken on the forum has one and loves it, which is high praise considering his watch collection.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2019, 02:19 AM   #4
Khans14
"TRF" Member

Thank you both.
I am going to reach out to Ken for his thoughts on it.
Khans14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2019, 07:49 PM   #5
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khans14 View Post
Hello Grand Seiko Forum: This is my first time posting apart from in the Rolex general forum section. I have recently been taken with photographs I have seen of the Grand Seiko GMT with the short blue gmt hand and ivory dial. The reference number is SBGM221. I have owned several Omega and Rolex watches, but have never owned a Grand Seiko. There is an authorized dealer about 4.5 hours away from me.

Before I take a long trip, may I ask if anyone has any first hand experience with this watch? The watch itself is beautiful and I have been taking a deep dive for about a week now reading about Grand Seiko watches and how they are made.

Any comments about the GMT watch would be appreciated. My daily wear right now is a Rolex 114060 and I have a 7.25 wrist size. Thanks in advance for any information.
I'm sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. I own an SBGM221, and it's simply stunning in person - it's the only watch I've purchased based on pictures alone, and it surpassed my expectations.

My only issue with the watch is that it doesn't slide under the cuff easily (thickness and case shape), and it would otherwise be a fantastic dress watch.

I'll drop you a message in case you're not following this thread any longer.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk