The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 7 December 2019, 03:15 AM   #31
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
Always thought Seiko should have picked another name than Grand Seiko to brand their luxury division, just like Lexus is not called Grand Toyota, that sounds a little bit silly imo.
I too thought that at first, and I agree that if I were to start a luxury business, I would want to differentiate the name from the lower-tiered brand (would you buy a Grand Fossil or Grand Invicta?) to capture that new market and increase profit.

HOWEVER, as a watch guy, I actually like the fact that people who don't know about Grand Seiko think of it as "just another Seiko". It flies under the radar in terms of name, but definitely not in terms of look / quality.

Funny story - I wore my GS around my non-WIS friends during a wedding, and it was the only watch that they've ever commented on. My friend goes "Jessie, if you continue to wear that thing around me, I'm going to steal it off your wrist...it's so sick". Did not think he would say that about this watch vs. my other Rolex watches!
Old 8 December 2019, 12:38 AM   #32
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Many of us Patek collectors LOVE GS. Amazing dials and best in class at that price point or any price point

In this pic one can argue the GS wins:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am one of them! Though I don't agree with the 2nd statement.
Old 8 December 2019, 12:39 AM   #33
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
This is 1 of the 2 watches I brought with me during Thanksgiving break and posted it here on TRF; another forum member had this to say about it:

"I really don’t mean to sound rude (great collection by the way) but how on earth do you EVER choose to wear that GS over a day date?!?! Blows my mind when people have watches like a Day date and still choose to ever wear something like a GS."

Grand Seiko, you pariah!! Needless to say, I don't think he'll be coming over to the Seiko forum anytime soon...

So ignorant... I got a daydate and I have chosen a GS over my Rolex or AP or PP often. It depends on my mood. GS makes great watches.
Old 9 December 2019, 01:16 AM   #34
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 05:58 AM   #35
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by nworbled View Post
When Lexus was first introduced by Toyota in 1989 it was not in Japan. However, Lexus branded vehicles have been in Japan since 2005.
I would like to come back to this. In Japan the 'halo' car is still a Toyota.

Great read if you like Japanese culture.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/big...-century-japan
Old 9 December 2019, 06:21 AM   #36
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
Ever time I look at the dial of my 201, my heart stops. My Rolexes don't do that for me. Okay maybe bluesy. Actually had the conversation the other night with wifey that I was thinking of selling off all of my Rolexes except my 16710 and having just my GS and Pepsi. So happy with all of my other seikos, hamiltons, steinhart, etc. Def going to add another GS. I have really fallen in love with the brand.
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:42 AM   #37
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by efthi View Post

That's lovely....can I ask which reference it is?

Wear it in good health!
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 06:46 AM   #38
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks6pd View Post
Ever time I look at the dial of my 201, my heart stops. My Rolexes don't do that for me. Okay maybe bluesy. Actually had the conversation the other night with wifey that I was thinking of selling off all of my Rolexes except my 16710 and having just my GS and Pepsi. So happy with all of my other seikos, hamiltons, steinhart, etc. Def going to add another GS. I have really fallen in love with the brand.
That's not a bad choice! I sold 5 of my 7 Rolexes. Kept 16710/3186 Pepsi and the TOG. Added 5 GS's and more to come I fear

Trog , that's the famous and iconic Snowflake SBGA211.
https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbga211g
Old 9 December 2019, 07:38 AM   #39
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
That's not a bad choice! I sold 5 of my 7 Rolexes. Kept 16710/3186 Pepsi and the TOG. Added 5 GS's and more to come I fear

Trog , that's the famous and iconic Snowflake SBGA211.
https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbga211g
Thank you....will have to add it to my gotta have one day list.

In respect to Rolex, I just sold my last modern Rolex the other day. I thought I would suffer sellers remorse, but quite the contrary.

Now I can focus on time pieces that I find intriguing, rather than what's hot at the moment.
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 01:45 PM   #40
efthi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
That's lovely....can I ask which reference it is?

Wear it in good health!
Thank you very much!! Indeed it’s the Snowflake and I couldn’t be happier with my choice..

efthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 02:47 PM   #41
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I am one of them! Though I don't agree with the 2nd statement.
Well yeah - the 5170P is pretty darn amazing. However the fact that the GS is even being mentioned in the same sentence as a watch x15 the price is saying something.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 03:17 PM   #42
WS9D
"TRF" Member

Watch: es..More Watches!
My posts in this thread would be nothing without a pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WS9D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2019, 09:33 PM   #43
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Gotta love that dial.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 10:10 AM   #44
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
I think we better shut this thread down. I don't want to start seeing waiting lists about GS...
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 12:18 PM   #45
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42itus View Post
I think we better shut this thread down. I don't want to start seeing waiting lists about GS...
I’ve been quietly thinking the same thing.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:35 AM   #46
Yellowfury
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
People only hate on GS because it's a seiko and they almost killed the swiss watch industry. As if the swiss need some rando on a forum to be their white knight.

I love the look of some GS watches but it's a pity that all the ones I like have to be limited editions.
Old 13 December 2019, 06:43 PM   #47
NicoD
"TRF" Member

Gotta say it: I love GS.

To me, GS is not the luxury brand of the Seiko group. If you want luxury, or HH, you go with Credor (and Gallante to some extent). And in these cases, there is no mention of "Seiko" in the brand's name.

Grand Seiko represents the best of what Seiko can do: technical innovation with the Spring Drive (even if it can now be found on Seikos, and Credors), craftsmanship and attention to detail. I find it fitting that the brand's name includes Seiko. They are proud of it, and should be.

I discovered the brand 3/4 years ago, by reading about it on the Internet (learnt also about King Seiko around the same time, and started by aquiring a couple of KS).

I was able to get a 6156-8010 in a very good condition (except the glass that had to be changed to a flat one. I don't mind the change). This watch is still in my collection. Every time I need a classier / dressier watch, it's the one I am slapping on my wrist (even if it is a 36/37mm watch, and I have a 20,5cm/8 inches wrist). I love how classy it is. I also love the mesmerizing second's hand movement at 10bps.

I came to getting my first modern GS earlier this year. I was, and am still, smitten by this watch. However, its Zaratsu polishing means that I don't wear it on a daily basis, but only for special occasions. This watch represents everything that GS is today: beautiful dials, an attention to detail second to none, and a movement finishing that proudly shows that it has been finished at the best it could be given the budget constraints they have.

Finally, I also owned a 9S model (SBGV245) for a couple of months. I haven't been able to make this watch stick in my rotation, so I let it go. But this watch also shown me another side of GS: their ability to make strong sport watches.

GS is really standing on its own 2 feet. And I cannot wait to see what they will come up with in the future (although with the increase in prices, I won't be able to follow them).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0461.jpg (238.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0503.jpeg (221.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0107.JPG (247.0 KB, 120 views)
NicoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 03:29 PM   #48
singaporepatek
Banned

Credor was first to use spring drive not GS
singaporepatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 04:21 PM   #49
manh3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
What I have learned is many Rolex people are not watch people. Many like Rolex rather than watches.
I’ll admit I’m one of those. I love my Rolex sd4k as it’s a tool to me and I use it on my adventures and don’t really care about the fine details and hand polishing. The Rolex does two things that I really need it to. Can it tell time in shitty conditions and can I sell my watch to get out of a shitty condition in a split second. I’m personally not a fan of grand seikos, Pateks or AP’s but then I abuse my watches and the deep scratches I have on my rolex would negate all the hand polishing that they came with.

I use to own an nsx so I understand the value proposition of what a high quality Japanese car has to offer but then is faced with being stigmatized with it’s associated brand Honda compared to a much more popular and recognized brand like Ferrari / Porsche. This is similar to grand seikos vs Rolex / Patek
manh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 04:41 PM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by manh3 View Post
I’ll admit I’m one of those. I love my Rolex sd4k as it’s a tool to me and I use it on my adventures and don’t really care about the fine details and hand polishing. The Rolex does two things that I really need it to. Can it tell time in shitty conditions and can I sell my watch to get out of a shitty condition in a split second. I’m personally not a fan of grand seikos, Pateks or AP’s but then I abuse my watches and the deep scratches I have on my rolex would negate all the hand polishing that they came with.

I use to own an nsx so I understand the value proposition of what a high quality Japanese car has to offer but then is faced with being stigmatized with it’s associated brand Honda compared to a much more popular and recognized brand like Ferrari / Porsche. This is similar to grand seikos vs Rolex / Patek
I have heard this a few times on TRF but I would honestly argue a Rolex is more likely to get you into a shitty situation than out of one when traveling.
Old 18 December 2019, 05:57 PM   #51
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Haha, good point!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 11:28 PM   #52
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporepatek View Post
Credor was first to use spring drive not GS
Actually Spring Drive was launched simultaneously with both Credor and Seiko branded references.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
thegrandseikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2019, 11:29 PM   #53
thegrandseikoguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Strong emphasis on 'any price point' , nothing compares to GS finish of dial and hands...
Except for Greubel Forsey.
thegrandseikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote