The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2019, 08:28 AM   #121
nick800
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Not so sir.

I’m likely not the best customer at my AD. But I’m certain I’m close. And Ive referred dozens on top of my own 10+ year history with them.

I have gotten a Daytona from them and a BLRO and an LVC. All while they were hot. All sorts more when it was easy to get them. Lots of gold in the last year or so. But recently I’m unable to get a sub if I want one. Heck it’s tough to get a SS YM apparently. Or even the DJ41 I want.

And Ive got zero credit leveraged on cars or homes. Or anything else.
Aren’t you proving my point? You claim to be close to their best customer and have gotten lots of hot watches.

I’ve spent a lot with my AD, but exclusively on Rolex. I was told in no uncertain terms that I need to buy diamonds to get anything else. This AD closes for the day for a certain family to come in and buy themselves jewelry as presents. That’s spending on a different level that will get you any Rolex you ask for.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 08:34 AM   #122
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
The endless rants about Rolex shortage is nothing more than mindless regurgitation of a straw man argument.

Outside of a few hyped up references, there is no shortage.

If my choice eventually came down to either paying $30K for a ceramic Daytona or not having a ceramic Daytona at all, I would as soon get myself whatever PM model I can find in the AD with that amount of money and be done with it. As long as it's a Daytona on my wrist, I would be happy regardless of its colors.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 09:38 AM   #123
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Funny thread.

Nobody is forcing anyone to buy a watch, a brand, to collect, to buy just one, or twenty.

If it's fun to buy watches, buy watches, if not don't.

Go for a walk and clear your head.
2x!
Old 10 December 2019, 10:23 AM   #124
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp5702 View Post
Plenty of other brands at all price points to enjoy, I say.
I believe this is the key. The shortage of Rolex models has given me the chance to realize how many other manufacturers make really great watches that are beautiful and very well made. I very seldom think about Rolex any longer. When they come back in the game by having some availability I will again think about adding another Rolex, however my interests have broadened enough I don't know now which I would want even at MSRP.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 11:07 AM   #125
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
Aren’t you proving my point? You claim to be close to their best customer and have gotten lots of hot watches.

I’ve spent a lot with my AD, but exclusively on Rolex. I was told in no uncertain terms that I need to buy diamonds to get anything else. This AD closes for the day for a certain family to come in and buy themselves jewelry as presents. That’s spending on a different level that will get you any Rolex you ask for.
Maybe.

But I did buy my wife quite a few rings and diamonds there. Along with my own wedding ring. Granted 5 years ago.

I’m not certain I’m pricing your point, but I do understand what you are saying. I still don’t agree. However, I respect it and appreciate the discussion.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 11:13 AM   #126
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
I believe this is the key. The shortage of Rolex models has given me the chance to realize how many other manufacturers make really great watches that are beautiful and very well made. I very seldom think about Rolex any longer. When they come back in the game by having some availability I will again think about adding another Rolex, however my interests have broadened enough I don't know now which I would want even at MSRP.
I too have been looking at other brands. For instance, the recently announced Omega 300M 007 edition (titanium) looks pretty good too me (more tool watch looks then a Submariner).

Rolex is a master of marketing and have done their job so very well. Combined with a 10 year bull market, there is much more discretionary money around the world chasing the luxury goods. It is what it is.

I actually appreciate what I have even more and have broadened my interest to other brands.

Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2019, 11:21 AM   #127
Equity
"TRF" Member

I’ve just decided not to play in the stainless game until Instagram takes away the “like” counter lol.

gold at or below retail is a good move.

It works both ways and you dont have to play.

Within ten minutes of my house I know of at least 3 consumer goods that are trading at a premium.

Hell, my brother is a coin and stamp dealer. People all over the world are buying 10c stamps for hundreds of dollars.

At least the Rolex tells time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 12:44 PM   #128
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
Who is offering 0% interest for that long? I’ve never heard of such a thing, other than Auto Loans with very specific criteria, and even those are not truly free due to the fact that the manufacturer is also a captive finance company and there is a premium built in already for them. I don’t want to sound close minded but this sounds too good to be true, the lender has to be profiting somewhere.

In Japan some offer even 48 months @ 0%....ofcourse most ADs will exclude Rolex or Patek from this promotion.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 01:03 PM   #129
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Explorer II is a fine watch to hold you over til prices come down.
Old 11 December 2019, 01:15 PM   #130
MrGiggles
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on the day
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
In Japan some offer even 48 months @ 0%....ofcourse most ADs will exclude Rolex or Patek from this promotion.

Very interesting, I never knew that. Makes sense too.

MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 01:24 PM   #131
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I don’t fancy the odds of a foreigner getting a loan in Japan
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 01:40 PM   #132
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
You are making too much sense. Now days the “trophy” is the bragging of making the purchase or the price paid. The focus is all on the money and deal. The actual watch wearing is not news worthy.

It reminds me of a bunch of seniors in a retirement home bragging about their early bird special and what they paid. The actual quality and taste of the food is never a priority or in the conversation. Sniffing out the “deal” is the most admirable quality.
I hear you. I admit that I get caught up in the hustle. The lusting for and relentless research of the next piece is half the fun. The other half of the fun is after acquiring the piece, building memories with it.

The action of the purchase used to do it for me. Now, the feeling of the purchase is distant compared to the hunt and living with the watch.

This hobby used to be "climbing the ladder" for me. Now that I have climbed the limit my frugality and practical nature allow, I've filled the holes in on where I've wanted my collection to go, while selling off redundant/gap fill pieces. I'm at the point where my collection is pretty dialed in and I'm happy.

I follow closely on here those taste and philosophy I share and whose opinions I respect. I like learning from others, who add value to the discussion forum. All the other "noise", ostentatious flashiness and D-baggery surrounding the hobby and luxury goods in general, I ignore.

I know where I'm comfortable in the hobby and that's where I reside.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 01:51 PM   #133
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGiggles View Post
Who is offering 0% interest for that long? I’ve never heard of such a thing, other than Auto Loans with very specific criteria, and even those are not truly free due to the fact that the manufacturer is also a captive finance company and there is a premium built in already for them. I don’t want to sound close minded but this sounds too good to be true, the lender has to be profiting somewhere.

Tourneau had a deal last summer - 12 months interest free if price of watch was under $2500, and 36 months interest free if watch was over $2500. Got my Nomos through them because of that.. These deals come around now and then. They’re out there.

Sorry for the off-topic quote, but I really have nothing to add to the subject of the thread that hasn’t been covered in this thread and the numerous others like it.
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 02:38 PM   #134
SunTzu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 116234 79280P
I don’t consider this to be fun hobby anymore....

Find another brand to enjoy and appreciate and learn about their history and horological contributions. I love Seiko both vintage and modern. Grand Seiko is in a class by itself.

And there’s far less D-baggery with other brands.

Sent from Crapatalk
Old 11 December 2019, 03:06 PM   #135
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Can’t agree more!
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 04:23 PM   #136
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
I'm no billionaire but there's NO WAY I'm not buying something I REALLY want because of the price, rarity or perceived 'prestige' of owning something everyone wants. Be it a Rolex watch, vintage car or whatever. If my financials are solid, I'm not going to deny myself. The thought of having regrets at age 80 (Yeah, That's likely! Lol) because I didn't buy something, anything really, is ridiculous to me.

But, I never claimed to be smart either.

Life is for LIVING and enjoying the experience of being happy and fulfilled.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 04:32 PM   #137
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Sorry for the rant.......

I joined the watch forums (TZ) in 2004 and shortly after bought a Rolex. I have always wanted one since the time I started working.

I do not consider myself a collector. What I mean by that is that a collector has multiple items. I have one watch at a time. I elect not to tie up my money in watches, others like to do so, no problem with that. I buy a watch, get sick of it after a while and then sell it on the forum, then buy a new one in due time, and the cycle starts over again.

I have never bought a watch at a premium. This means to me, I have never and will never buy a watch over MSRP. All the watches I have bought to date have been from resellers on the forum, with one exception an msrp purchase at an AD.

The fun left this hobby for me when I started looking at professional sport models and the asking/selling prices were thousands of dollars above msrp. I get it, people opt to do this, it is your money and can do what you wish with it. I have to ask though: Is paying above msrp fun? Do you begrudge having to do so? When you look at your wrist with a watch that is sold to you above msrp, do you get enjoyment from it? A “used” piece should sell at a discount compared to new. I get it, hey a Picasso may have been bought and sold a few times, and it is not new and fetches a huge premium. But a Rolex is a mass produced watch.

Unless things turn around soon, my Explorer II on my wrist may be my last one.
Totally understandable.
The 5 digit EXP II is an outstanding reference, of which I happily had both coloured dials together in my collection at the same time.
It would be a great watch to settle on all day everyday
Enjoy
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 04:38 PM   #138
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Explorer II is a fine watch to hold you over til prices come down.
I would argue better than fine
The EXP II's were at the tail end of my downsizing of the collection list when I finally settled on the 116660 DSSD'S
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 04:39 PM   #139
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I still see plenty of Sub C's going gray market for just 10-15% over retail when you factor in the tax savings.
Is that so bad??? I remember when you would gladly pay that to get the 911tt you wanted, needed, whatever...when you wanted it.

YOLO...not sure I am as hung up on the MSRP equally for everything across the board..

I'm flexible.
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 07:17 PM   #140
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
There was a member of this forum who loved Rolex with a passion. He was kind and rarely said a cross word. He was not a wealthy man, he had a wife and family that loved him. As life works this man became very ill. He fought his illness like a true champion. This man not having much sold his modest collection one watch at a time until they were gone, giving the money to his family. This man parted with his passion because in the end they were just watches. This man died leaving a massive hole in this forum that has yet to be filled. Watches my friends only watches.
Old 11 December 2019, 09:52 PM   #141
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equity View Post

Hell, my brother is a coin and stamp dealer. People all over the world are buying 10c stamps for hundreds of dollars.
But not for still in production, mass produced 10 cent stamps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 11:18 PM   #142
Equity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
But not for still in production, mass produced 10 cent stamps.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My point was perceived value.

Equity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 11:27 PM   #143
travisb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes..
I've learned that I can not thoroughly enjoy a watch if I pay over retail for a modern day production piece.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2019, 11:49 PM   #144
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Yes, he is missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
There was a member of this forum who loved Rolex with a passion. He was kind and rarely said a cross word. He was not a wealthy man, he had a wife and family that loved him. As life works this man became very ill. He fought his illness like a true champion. This man not having much sold his modest collection one watch at a time until they were gone, giving the money to his family. This man parted with his passion because in the end they were just watches. This man died leaving a massive hole in this forum that has yet to be filled. Watches my friends only watches.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 12:11 AM   #145
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
Well it’s fun today iv just picked up my harrods black bay :) and the serial no is my grandsons dob :)
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 12:25 AM   #146
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

I joined the watch forums (TZ) in 2004 and shortly after bought a Rolex. I have always wanted one since the time I started working.

I do not consider myself a collector. What I mean by that is that a collector has multiple items. I have one watch at a time. I elect not to tie up my money in watches, others like to do so, no problem with that. I buy a watch, get sick of it after a while and then sell it on the forum, then buy a new one in due time, and the cycle starts over again.

I have never bought a watch at a premium. This means to me, I have never and will never buy a watch over MSRP. All the watches I have bought to date have been from resellers on the forum, with one exception an msrp purchase at an AD.

The fun left this hobby for me when I started looking at professional sport models and the asking/selling prices were thousands of dollars above msrp. I get it, people opt to do this, it is your money and can do what you wish with it. I have to ask though: Is paying above msrp fun? Do you begrudge having to do so? When you look at your wrist with a watch that is sold to you above msrp, do you get enjoyment from it? A “used” piece should sell at a discount compared to new. I get it, hey a Picasso may have been bought and sold a few times, and it is not new and fetches a huge premium. But a Rolex is a mass produced watch.

Plenty of fun to be had. I just added the seiko arnie to my collection and that was the watch the started it all for me. My brother and I wore out the VHS tape watching commando and predator and while I have owned many Rolex watches over the years, this one is extra special. So many fantastic brands out there. Branch out and use the current market as an opportunity to get new brands. The new navi reissue, tudor, GS snowflake, vintage pieces. So much fun to be had. You just have to ask yourself if you are a Rolex guy or a watch guy, for me I have always been into watches before I knew what Rolex was.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 12:51 AM   #147
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Just start buying aquanauts and nautilus.....then you will think daytonas are cheap lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:06 AM   #148
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:

Everything changes, often not to our liking.

There is so much in the world that can spark our imaginations and hold our interests.

I sincerely hope that you can find happiness even if the current watch market no longer provides it.

All the best!
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 04:29 AM   #149
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Seem to be the same old stories from the old boys. The world changes , mate. Pursue another brand if its about easy buy easy sell.
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2019, 05:22 AM   #150
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I've learned that I can not thoroughly enjoy a watch if I pay over retail for a modern day production piece.
Would you buy at a discount to MSRP? If so, you recognize that MSRP has nothing to do with market value, which can be higher or lower and just reflects the supply/demand balance at that point in time.
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote